Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Airfix II Campaign
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 5,926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 271 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 05:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Plus you'd need to have some chocolate, purely for research purposes...

It may be the best way to get 'Milka' purple just right.. I have a feeling I am going to end up with a few Ju-52s in my collection..

Go Mark go!!
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 06:16 PM UTC
The decals come with choice of moose or lobster, but no squirrel.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 06:37 PM UTC
Bruce the Moose! I love it
But as a native Bluenose I can't help but feel a connection to 434.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 08:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Plus you'd need to have some chocolate, purely for research purposes...

There is one small problem.. Milka chocolate is not sold here anymore....
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 09:42 PM UTC
Well, that settles it. I was leaning towards the lobster, the Bluenose clinches it...
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 10:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, that settles it. I was leaning towards the lobster, the Bluenose clinches it...

I would love to know what you are talking about...
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 10:10 PM UTC
Took me a while too, and I was writing half of it. One of the two CF-5As on the decal set above has a blue stripe with a two masted sailing ship on it. It's the Bluenose, a celebrated fishing vessel out of Nova Scotia. It was adopted as the emblem of RCAF Squadron 434 during WWII. I'm not sure of the significance of the lobster, but you don't see many lobsters on fighters. So I wanted that one.....
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 05:15 AM UTC
I thought it may have had something to do with how cold it gets in Canadia...
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 05:33 AM UTC
Ahyep, Blueenose means something entirely different in Boston...
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC
Means nothing here...
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 07:15 PM UTC
In America, bluenoses are prudish people who attempt to impose his or her moral code upon others. They were so strict in Boston, Massachusetts, that if a work was "Banned in Boston", it was bound to be a huge hit in New York.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 08:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the explanation Mark.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 09:17 PM UTC
For the Nova Scotia meaning, it's far more practical. Work on the fishing boats was hard, dirty and so cold your nose turns blue. Nova Scotians got saddled with the label "Bluenosers" as early as the late 18th Century. The fishing schooner was named after the nickname

It could be worse. New Brunswick got "Herring chokers" and Saskachewan residents rejoice in the title of "Stubble jumpers".

A lobster zap on an RCAF fighter means that there are some "guests" for the next Squadron dinner in the baggage compartment (or stuffed in the gun bays).
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For the Nova Scotia meaning, it's far more practical. Work on the fishing boats was hard, dirty and so cold your nose turns blue. Nova Scotians got saddled with the label "Bluenosers" as early as the late 18th Century. The fishing schooner was named after the nickname

It could be worse. New Brunswick got "Herring chokers" and Saskachewan residents rejoice in the title of "Stubble jumpers".

A lobster zap on an RCAF fighter means that there are some "guests" for the next Squadron dinner in the baggage compartment (or stuffed in the gun bays).

Better than being called brown-nosers I suppose...

I have seen many items of military equipment zapped over the years with stickers, spray cans and stencils, even a texta if needs be. Did you know the the AFL Football grand final cup was even zapped when a Roulettes sticker was placed on the base of it and made it on national TV..
Funny thing is the Airfix Nimrod I am building has the zaps applied to it while it was at the Bi-centennial airshow at RAAF Richmond. I know cause I was there. The bit about being at Fincastle at Richmond is fantasy as Fincastle is held in Adelaide when it is in Australia as that is where our P-3s are based.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 09:22 PM UTC
Great news! Airfix are sending me new parts for the Bentley// won't become a garage queen after all.
Regards
Warren
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 03:44 AM UTC
Warren, glad to hear that the Airfix "helpdesk" have come up with the goods yet again and that all your effort on that engine won't be for nothing.

Progress on the 917...

The engine more or less done, waiting for everything else to catch up so it can be fitted. This was the first outing for the newly purchased Life Color shades of black set or whatever it's called, so please note the various shades of black.

Bottom half with seat and interior roughly painted - don't think it will notice once the driver and windows are in.

Said driver recovering from elbow surgery:

Wheels also done in various blacks. Is that other thing a space saver tyre??

The "fibreglass" body primed:

In blue, but too dark:

I've lightened this up since, but then got all impatient and went ahead with the masking for the orange, even though I knew I shouldn't... I'll let you see, um, later.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 06:35 AM UTC
I am glad you told me too look out for the shades of black Matt!
Yes, Airfix come through with A1 customer support yet again. None finer.
You sound as though you are using the good ole 'She'll be right' method of building your model at the moment. I use it all the time as I think many people tend to go way over the top with their models and wonder why it takes them months and months to finish even simple models. I am not criticising them just making an observation as they must get a good $/hour ratio.
You are right about the blue. Humbrol used to have just the right shade. It used to be called Gulf blue at one stage..
Looking great though.
Cheers mate
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 06:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello...

he decal sheet has yellowed slightly but maybe I will not be using them, instead I have one of my late Uncles Model decal sheets with a Dutch Thunder streak and hopefully I will be using that. I may also use decals for the side panels.

-----------------

TOP PROJECT WORLD INFORMATION ...

I still think the Thinderstreak is one of the best looking planes ever. Go for it mate.
ljames0874
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
Now that I have both my entries from Evil Bay, it's time to get cracking. I have made a start on the French Line Infantryman, and the 10th Hussar's mount. It's been 17 years since I last built a 54mm figure, and they are as good as I remember:
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now that I have both my entries from Evil Bay, it's time to get cracking. I have made a start on the French Line Infantryman, and the 10th Hussar's mount. It's been 17 years since I last built a 54mm figure, and they are as good as I remember:

Looks like a good start for a diorama, 'French Cavalryman loses his head'...
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 07:39 AM UTC
Funny, I don't remember that the Red Queen was at Waterloo.
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 11:50 AM UTC
In the words of Craig Revell-Horwood "Disaster"

I am doing my Thunderstreak in a KLU scheme from a Modeldecal sheet which is Green/Grey/PRU Blue. The Blue went on without much problem using a brush and some thinner to aid flow. Next I thought, Green. Same process again after masking the underside edge, on with the paint and... it fails to lay in some areas and in others there are brushstrokes, clean it off and leave it for a week.

I go back to it tonight, degrease the surface and mix paint again. Apply and it is awful, where the paint remains from the first application it grabs the new paint and looks terrible, I think this is due to it being semi-gloss. I have scraped and rubbed as much of it off as I can and left it.

I am having a rethink as to whether to use matt instead of semi-gloss, I shall use gloss over this before decalling.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 06:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In the words of Craig Revell-Horwood "Disaster"

I am doing my Thunderstreak in a KLU scheme from a Modeldecal sheet which is Green/Grey/PRU Blue. The Blue went on without much problem using a brush and some thinner to aid flow. Next I thought, Green. Same process again after masking the underside edge, on with the paint and... it fails to lay in some areas and in others there are brushstrokes, clean it off and leave it for a week.

I go back to it tonight, degrease the surface and mix paint again. Apply and it is awful, where the paint remains from the first application it grabs the new paint and looks terrible, I think this is due to it being semi-gloss. I have scraped and rubbed as much of it off as I can and left it.

I am having a rethink as to whether to use matt instead of semi-gloss, I shall use gloss over this before decalling.

And this is supposed to be fun??
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 07:28 AM UTC
Who said anything about fun? This is serious learning Warren, cleanliness is next to ............. (enter your own thought here)