Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Airfix II Campaign
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

looks like my Mums kitchen table when I was a teenager

Andy, presume you were into bikes... this did remind me of going to Laguna bike breakers in Maidstone (1985 or thereabouts) and the teenager next to me at the counter just pulling an engine block out of his coat pocket and asking if they had one like it.
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 10:28 AM UTC
Good evening Airfixers. I am ready, ready to add the first coat of primer. Everything is glued and masked where necessary, the main part mounted on a dowell and all the small items mounted on a board using Blu-tac either directly or on a stick. however, I have not decided whether to use Tamiya Grey primer or Humbrol White Acrylic primer but i am leaning toward Humbrol as I know clean up will only need water. Does anybody any thoughts on this?
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 01:20 PM UTC
It depends upon what kind of top coat you're going to put on. You'll want to use compatible paints, yes?
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It depends upon what kind of top coat you're going to put on. You'll want to use compatible paints, yes?

Good point, however, as I am doing a Dutch F-84 I plan to use paints I have in stock which are Humbrol Acrylics for the top and Tamiya Acrylic for the bottom so I guess Humbrol wins this encounter
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 08:31 AM UTC
Mike, choice of primer might depend on what the colour going over the primer is, and how transparent it's going to be. Obviously the primer can effect the overall look of the finish unless you are going to be applying the next colour very opaquely.

Some Porsche construction...
Transmission:

Built but untidied wheels:

The seat and firewall:

Test fitting the driver showed his hands end up flapping uselessly about a scale 8 inches beyond the steering wheel, so he had to submit to some elbow sugery; here he is resting his hands on the steering wheel while his joints heal up so filler can be applied:

Berwickboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 11:48 AM UTC
Interesting point about the top colours. I shall be using an airbrush for the first time on the top coat which is Grey/Green upper with PRU Blue under, a White undercoat might help to give a more useed look especially if I use pre-shading on the panel lines. But if I don't try then I won't know.

BTW Rowan, I remember the 917 when it first came out and built one, it has 'coloured' my thoughts as to what a Le Mans car should really look like to this day
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 02:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting point about the top colours. I shall be using an airbrush for the first time on the top coat which is Grey/Green upper with PRU Blue under, a White undercoat might help to give a more useed look especially if I use pre-shading on the panel lines. But if I don't try then I won't know.

That's what test models are for
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 08:01 AM UTC
I took the plunge and used the Tamiya primer, even though I used it outside the flat my wife could smell it so that wasn't good. However, I decided on the Tamiya primer as I am making a generally Grey aircraft and it is probably a better option. One thing it did show was how good I had been with the seams except at the wing roots and the canopy looks a bit dodgy but that is why we prime innit. I am now letting it harden for a day or so before re-visiting the wings again.
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 11:39 AM UTC
To add to the above, a few piccies

These were taken in my garage where I have my workdesk and yes, it's full of junk. The wheel wells have been masked with the kit parts for the in-flight option, the rest using tape or film for the clear and Blu-tac for the nose and tail. You can see the wing root furrow I need to fill
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 5,926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 271 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 07:35 PM UTC
Greetings

Well I finally got up the courage to start the Blower.. but I didn't have to cut any plastic as these peices had already been remove from the sprues.

And that is it so far. I put all the gears etc in place but I didn't have a motor to put in and none of the ones in the box fitted. That is OK because I would never want the thing to move under its own power anyway..
Cheers for now
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 06:53 PM UTC
Engine block is together and the ancillaries that needed to be painted aluminium.

I used Maskol to mask the engine up so I can paint the inlet manifold and cylinders black. Airfix say Matt Black but I am going to have to do a bit of research on that.
On a sad note, the decals are beyond redemption and will be used as masks instead.
Cheers
Warren
steph2102
Visit this Community
Isere, France
entire network: 735 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hello, quite a beautiful thing under construction here. here is my progress.
steph
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 07:01 AM UTC
For its age the Fire Engine looks a gem. Nice build so far Steph
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 08:12 AM UTC
I always wondered how that Fire Engine would look when built, but it wasn't my scale at the time. Now I see how good it can look.
Excellent work Steph.
c4willy
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 1,673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 06:47 PM UTC
Great looking kits so far everyone and such a truly diverse range of them!

Well after some soul searching I realised I'm pretty snowed under when it comes to air campaigns and I'd never get the 1/24th scale Stuka finished in time, besides I believe Rowan was talking about doing one as well. So I decided on a nostalgia trip instead, this was amongst the first kits I ever built as a kid and I've always liked the aircraft concerned (still looking for a reasonably priced Classic Airframes version!). It's a simple kit to build however the decals are light years ahead in terms of quality compared to the ones that were originally with the kit! You'd put them in water and it'd look like they'd been hit with a shotgun blast! So here's a pic of the kit and let's get started!

warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 08:30 PM UTC
I remember a Whirlwind in the dim, dark past as well Chris.

The Bentley's engine continues to take shape.

I have to be careful I don't build it like a restored car rather than an original one. People tend to go overboard when the restore a car and polish and chrome everything to perfection, not like it came from the factory..
Cheers for now
Warren
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 3,959 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 07:52 PM UTC
Good looking 'donk' Warren... How'd you get the chrome on those pipes to look so good?
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 08:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good looking 'donk' Warren... How'd you get the chrome on those pipes to look so good?

I re-discovered some stuff I have had in my various hobby rooms for more than 25 years now, Bare Metal Foil... chrome type in this case. It is the ants-pants for simulating chrome and repairing chrome where you have to remove a mould line.

I am about to order a few more sheets just in case it is needed for the rest of the vehicle.

I had forgotten how great 1/12th scale cars are to build!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 3,959 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 10:17 PM UTC
Well it looks pretty good mate. I think i'll be using it on the next car i build!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 04:41 AM UTC
Another hint, you can buy it for cheaper (including postage) if you buy it from the right place. PM me and I will tell you where.
Cheers
Warre
c4willy
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 1,673 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 08:37 AM UTC
Well after a nights work .... around 2 to 3 hours I have this to show for my efforts. Did I say the kit was SIMPLE? I have a special hobby kit to build and the difference of level of detail is simply stunning. Surprisingly considering the age of the moulds, it's gone together extremely well with little sanding required. Although there will need to be a little amount of filling. The aerial wire attachment at the tail empennage was just attached to one side of the fuselage so I ran a little super glue on the other side to strengthen the joint as it will inevitably be knocked off otherwise!

I really do like this aeroplane it's a shame that more couldn't have been done with it but it couldn't take Merlins as a major redesign would've resulted and they didn't have time to wait. As it was the mosquito happened along and the need for the Whirlwind had passed. But at low level strike it excelled and was a deadly fighter. I wonder what it would've been like if Rolls Royce had managed to get the Peregrine engines right?

warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 07:57 PM UTC
Love the Whirlwind, but the roll rate would have been a bit crappy with those heavy engines out on the wings. Good for ground attack though..

Bentley is getting plug leads..

None were supplied with the kit so I have made my own with solder and Tamiya 1/12 vinyl tubing.
Cheers
Warren

warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 07:53 PM UTC
Some more progress on the Bentley's engine. it now has spark plug leads on both sides..

A few other bits were added and a nasty moulding seam cleaned up on the exhaust manifold. It is just sitting there to look pretty. Will be painted tomorrow.
Not sure of the colour yet...
Cheers
Warren
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 02:12 AM UTC
I love the range of subjects on these Airfix campaigns
Matts ,porker in Gulf colours(my favorite race colours),Warrens Bentley(Wow ) Steph,hurry up with the Dennis ,cant wait to see that done,Chris, never built a Whirlwind but think I should thats a neat looking A/C.
Well ,suck squeeze bang blow
the wee engines done,Ford pine green,Tamiya camel yellow and a few shades of Alclad

it all works,brilliant!!
I spent more time dry fitting and testing movement of parts than I've ever done before.
The joy of watching cranks turn,rods push,rockers rock and valves open and close will never stop to amuse me,I love cutaway engines
I can feel a revell /Monagram V8 coming up!!!!
Jessie
Wheres the gallery please?
Whens Airfix 3????
Hope you like
Andy
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 02:26 AM UTC
Great work once more in this campaign.

@ Matthew
Love your work on the Porsche. Bit too modenr for my car taste but your work is good and it will make a stunning model.

@ Mike
Love the aircraft looking forward how you are going to finish it.

@ Steph
Lovely red color plastic on your fireengine. Looking forward how that progresses.

@ Warren
Wow that Bentley engine looks the part. You can almost hear the sounds from the old races at Brooklands and Le Mans

@ Andy
That looks perfect... IT is pretty hard to believe this is a plastic model. This looks like the stuff you find in museums all worked open like that. I think this very soon will also grace my house... I like these models. Can't you make a movie to show us how it works? Would love to see that.