Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Airfix II Campaign
c4willy
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 1,673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 08:09 PM UTC
@Jessica: Good looking fella there Jessie .... can't wait to see how you hang all the stuff around him as I know it's easy to get them look "animated".

@Mark: keep going Mark you're almost done and the camo looks good. Just need to decal that monster etc etc .... here's hoping it get easier in the finishing stretch!
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 04:56 AM UTC
Thanks for the encouragement Chris. I got the nozzles and wing racks on last night, then sprayed a laywe of future on the top side. I'll get the bottom tonight and focus on the decals Wednesday. If real life doesn't interfere too much, I could be done by Monday.
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 06:12 PM UTC
inching forward:

Future added and canopy tape removed.
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:42 PM UTC
I am on the final stretch with the 'Whaleback'.

Yesterday I finally added the main cabin to the deck having previously fixed the bridge in place. I painted the superstructure matt White but really wanted a semi-gloss finish but had no suitable varnish. Right then, mix Humbrol 33 (gloss) with 49 (matt) no problem, well yes there was, the unopened pot of 49 was solid! What to do? Fortunately I have a pot of Tamiya matt base so I added it to the gloss and a few drops of Humbrol Acrylic thinner. I am very happy with the result.

Other problems encountered. I an rather clumsy and this has resulted in feeding the concrete monster. One of the small ventilators escaped from my tweezers to be seen no more. A mast cross-member shot off when I was cutting another part from the sprue. The top part of the mast snapped off when I caught it with my arm. So, how do we solve these problems? The small ventilator was replaced with a length of tubing fashioned into a chimney. The cross-member was a simple replacement with plastic rod and the mast top was embellished with another small length of tubing capped off with a circular item from the Airfix Refuelling set which has a distinct appearance of a DF loop. The last problem occurred when cutting the rear aerial mount from the sprue, it snapped in 2 exactly in the middle, I joined it together re-inforcing with, you guessed it, another piece of the inimitable tube, what a lifesaver that is. Good job it's a whiffer build.

The hull has been completed apart from adding the props. Tamiya hull Red left unvarnished for the bottom with Gloss Red from a rattle can for the top. I added a serial from a Modeldecal RAF White letters, I wanted to put RESCUE on the side, unfortunately the RAF doesn't use letters C or U so it finished up as R1, compromise or what.

The deck was painted Humbrol 88 Deck Green which is a beautiful dark colour. The Searchlight and small lamp on the small mast have been enhanced with Little Lenses obtained from Little Cars, these come in a variety of sizes and colours, they are designed for car modellers but have applications for other branches of our hobby.

All I have to do to finish is complete painting the aerial fixings, add the lifebelts and dinghy and finish rigging the mast.

I will be posting pictures soon as I now have suitable software to render photos suitable for the web. Onwards and upwards
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 06:25 AM UTC
For what it's worth, Photobucket, is free, and has editing functions (not Photo Shop level), and you can upload from PB to either the forums or galleries on Kit Maker.
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:24 AM UTC
Thanks, let's try with this
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:29 AM UTC
Fantastic, it works.

Thank you Mark, i owe you one
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:42 AM UTC
Nice.

The advice is free, besides you got me to keep working on the F-5A.

BTW, don't forget to post in the gallery. You might want to reduce the size of the pics (in Mb volume, not linear) to increase the number of pics you can post in the gallery.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:26 AM UTC
Remember my Porsche 917 that got melted all those months ago? Well I got a replacement, but much bigger non-modelling calamities then knocked it so off-course that I think I'd need another two or three weeks at least to get it finished, especially now I've got all enthused about trying to get a high gloss finish on it using auto paints (Ford Olympic Blue...). Anyway, apologies, and I haven't even had the time to trawl all through this thread to admire everyone's work, but I will treat myself to that soon. How very regrettable that all is.
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:08 PM UTC
Inching along. Just over half the decals in place. Just the rest of the decals and the fiddly bits....
c4willy
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 1,673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:05 AM UTC
In the home stretch Mark ..... can't wait to see it finished and the relieved smile on your face! Also just wanted to say that the array of kits has been amazing and the build quality fantastic. the community spirit and camaraderie is what keeps me coming back thanks to you all for another great campaign!
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 06:26 PM UTC
Mr Man and his horsie are done

beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC
Well third past the post in the horse race but just managed to get this one done of my Polish Lancer as you can tell figure painting is not my best subject but this has given me a bit of a challenge and some great stuff has been done through this campaign a BIG thanks to Jessie for again running such a brilliant campaign

[imghttp://gallery3.kitmaker.net/data/28783/IMG_000516.JPG[/img]
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 - 06:32 PM UTC
Stick a fork in it, it's DONE.

Thanks Jessie, It was a struggle, but I learned a few things and overcame a few issues.
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 12:54 AM UTC
Flight 401, New York - JFK to Miami International, has finailly arrived!

Thank you, Jessica, for an enjoyable campaign & for a reason to build my Tristar. Nice job on your figure.

@Kieth: I really like your Polish Lancer. Well done.

@Mark: Great job on the F-5A. I've always liked that little fighter for some reason.

Jim

Berwickboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 10:35 AM UTC
I have not quite finished as I have had a few health problems but the 'Whaleback' is 99% done. I still have to finish adding an aerial that snapped in 2, painting the aerials and weathering.

I have added handles to the hatches, a bridge interior which can't be seenn, made a foam squirter from bent plastic rod and the Emergency set. The tank tops are 2 halves of a Hasegawa 1/32 F-86 nose wheel, the locker wingnuts are Grandt Line model Railroad accessories. Some of the aerial fixings are cut down Signal Box stanchions and the aerials are Slaters Plastic Rod which can be bought in various thicknesses one being extremely fine which I use for aerials. Quite a number of items have been stuck in place using Humbrol Clearfix, the reason? it's sticky and allows time to work.

I lost numerous bits to the concrete monster, today it was a lifebelt that went pinging off somewhere.

I have enjoyed this build, it has shown up shortcomings in my planning and my aspirations but I think it looks reasonable enough. Thanks to the lovely Jessie for pointing me in the direction of the instructions.

Hope you like it
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 11:31 AM UTC
Good job Mike, this was a much larger challenge that I planned on. But eventually I finished both of my AAA projects (one was just a year late
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 01:36 PM UTC
Congratulations to all our late finishers! I've gone through the gallery handing out ribbons but it's still the 15th here for a few more hours so if your finished model isn't in the gallery yet, pop over and get it installed, then do please let me know so I can give you your gong.
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 06:16 PM UTC
Thanks Jess, I was surprised at how fast you got my ribbon posted. Can't say that the kit was all that enjoyable, but the company along the way was great and the variety of subjects was amazing. Great job everyone!
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Congratulations to all our late finishers! I've gone through the gallery handing out ribbons but it's still the 15th here for a few more hours so if your finished model isn't in the gallery yet, pop over and get it installed, then do please let me know so I can give you your gong.

Ermmmmmm, Am I entitled to a ribbon please?
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 5,926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:49 AM UTC
Congratulations to everyone who finished one of these old Airfix models. I found the Bentley to be surprisingly good for such an old model with the main problem being warped parts and dodgy chrome bits. But Airfix came through twice with replacement parts including a full chassis for nicks!

Hopefully one day soo I can get back into the models..

Cheers
Warren
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:27 AM UTC
Brilliant fun!

When does Airfix 3 start?

Airfix have such a massive plethora of available and (generally) buildable kits.

Okay, these days a lot of the ancient Airfix kits (no, not the new ones) are waaaaay behind the times but seriously... They are usually reasonably easy to build (I built at least one hundred as child) with a wee bit of care.

I'm not sure that many historians are aware that, up in the Scottish Outer Hebrides, on a freshwater loch, there is a wrecked German E-boat sunk by Airgun fire from a "Dad's Army" private (a real, unsung hero) who just happened to chance upon it whilst patrolling these lonely stretches of the world!

He sank it!

Then, despite massive injuries just casually went home for dinner! He didn't mention his heroic achievement 'cos someone In Authority might ask "You did what??? The ^%%^&*$*^ model we just spent quite a lot of money on???"

Ah, Airfix! Love them!