Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Airfix II Campaign
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 09:05 AM UTC
Well, I'm calling this one done. The figures are the Airfix "WWII RAF Personnel" made from that poly type plastic that glue and paint won't stick to without using a six inch nail. Actually, the figgies are probably as old as the Stirling.

When I was looking for bomb references I had a look at the Airfix box art work and noticed that the bombs are pictured being loaded in back to front!

Hope you like it.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When I was looking for bomb references I had a look at the Airfix box art work and noticed that the bombs are pictured being loaded in back to front!

They were obviously expecting strong headwinds that day. That's a really excellent build of a challenging kit
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 02:17 PM UTC
Very nice build Murdo, that was the first aircraft kit I ever built (not saying how long ago though!) and seeing your pics brings back some great memories.

Perhaps on this mission they were going to fly past the target and drop the bombs on the return leg?

Cheers, D
fandangoes
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 68 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 02:55 AM UTC
Hello
Some excellent work being done on some challenging models .
Hampden now ready to paint. The part i find most difficult as the operator of the paintbrush dose not practice enough .

J
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

well, not only have I been thinning down the sides,but I threw every trick at my disposal at this- I also did manage to shave down the width of the instrument panel plus for good measure I will put a sliver of plasticard in the join to give me a little more width to play with-

the cockpit sides got as thin as I dared take them, when held up to a light they are really transparent! now that hiccup is out of the way I can get some more actual building done, maybe even some painting too!

I'm amazed at the detail done in 1/72.

i've only just started! -

the instruments have a thin piece of clear plastic stuck on the rear, this will look like glass from the front.

then the back of the plastic is painted black, keeping the look of a glass fronted dial with a black face. the above two pics were taken one after the other btw. which shows how effective this is.

main panel fitted, treated in the same way as the rest of the instruments. thinking on, i should really have painted it a dark gray to provide more contrast between panel and dials

the gappage between canopy and fuselage due to my widening the two halves slightly and thinning down the internal cockpit plastic

improvements to the tail area. i only found out a few days ago that the mast sticking up from the tail is actually the pitot tube, i was all set to attach the radio aerial to it at the end of the build! however it was just a bit chunky at the end, so i drilled it out, filed the point down of an ordinary pin, cut it to size and glued it in the plastic part.

also just above the tail fairing "bullet" is what looks like a small light set into the tail. this may actually be where the radio aerial is attached, though i don't know why its going through a piece of perspex, anyone got any ideas?
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:44 AM UTC
I can't answer your 'Perspex' question but these guys might https://www.facebook.com/pages/Westland-Whirlwind-Fighter-Project/256647147740291 they are building a full size Whirlwind. More details appear in Aeroplane Monthly for January 2014
almonkey
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:37 AM UTC
thanks mike! i just subscribed to their page and left a post asking about the tail.
whether i was building this kit or not thats an interesting project, and something i'll be keeping an eye on.
amegan
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 996 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:51 AM UTC
Time to make a start here, I had two kits for this either the Hannover or a DUKW. I have searched high and low for the DUKW and can't find it, but did fid this

Unfortunately it has been started (not by me). 6 parts have been joined but three more are missing, instrument panel steering column and wheel. Are you happy for me to use this?

I should declare that I have built one or two of these before, in fact I still have 2 1/2 but they were built before I associated weathering with anything other than ships. All of these were acquired to act as cargo for the LCTs though a full battery of Matadors would look better.

The LCT 5 in front was finished and sailed well under radio control although only 19" long. the LCT 4 is not finished
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 12:44 PM UTC
A minor bit started is perfectly acceptable, as is scratchbuilding to replace the missing parts. The important thing is to have fun
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:43 PM UTC
Finally got started with my Hurricane. Basically will be building out of the box, other then some extra little cockpit detail.

beefy66
Visit this Community
entire network: 971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hello everybody some great builds of the old kits here after lurking around since the start of November the insurance people have now replaced my old computer after it went Bang. So after trying to look through things on my sons lap top I can now start to upload some of my stuff and get back into the campaigns
So I decided not to go for the old Vosper kit but will be doing the re-boxed Polish Lancer makes a bit of change for me from Ships and Armour so here is my start photo
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:44 PM UTC
Some Putty required:

Looks a little like an F-5 now.
ljames0874
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello everybody some great builds of the old kits here after lurking around since the start of November the insurance people have now replaced my old computer after it went Bang. So after trying to look through things on my sons lap top I can now start to upload some of my stuff and get back into the campaigns
So I decided not to go for the old Vosper kit but will be doing the re-boxed Polish Lancer makes a bit of change for me from Ships and Armour so here is my start photo

I remember the Polish Lancer kit very well, the first 54mm kit I ever built, some 20 odd years ago.

Onto my current 54mm builds for this campaign, The Hussar and his mount are assembled and primed. As you can see, man, horse, saddle and weapons are being painted seperately. I am exclusively using my old Citadel acrylics on these figures. I have previously fainted these type of figures in enamels, but I find the finish too toy-like. I seem to get much better shading on flesh, cloth and horse flesh with acrylics and inks.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 5,926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Time to make a start here, I had two kits for this either the Hannover or a DUKW. I have searched high and low for the DUKW and can't find it, but did fid this

Unfortunately it has been started (not by me). 6 parts have been joined but three more are missing, instrument panel steering column and wheel. Are you happy for me to use this?

I should declare that I have built one or two of these before, in fact I still have 2 1/2 but they were built before I associated weathering with anything other than ships. All of these were acquired to act as cargo for the LCTs though a full battery of Matadors would look better.

The LCT 5 in front was finished and sailed well under radio control although only 19" long. the LCT 4 is not finished

Isn't it amazing how kits seem to disappear from time to time? Appears to be in direct proportion to the size of your stash...

Keep at it everyone. Remember it is supposed to be fun to build these kits..

Regards
Warren
beefy66
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:39 AM UTC
Well work started on the Lancer got the horse and saddle made up and part of the horseman made and primed to check for any mistakes made.

warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 07:01 PM UTC
Does anyone remember the 1/12 Bentley I was building?

It is almost finished and I thought I would post some photos..

The radiator surround is painted with Alclad II Chrome as the original chrome was not ver good and after clean up there were too many scratched , so I removed the chrome with bleach and used the Alclad for the first time. I also paited the gearlever and handbrake lever, as well as part of the handbrake pivot.

Now I have no excuse to not paint NMF aircraft..

Cheers for now
Warrem
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:18 PM UTC
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 3,959 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The radiator surround is painted with Alclad II Chrome as the original chrome was not ver good and after clean up there were too many scratched , so I removed the chrome with bleach and used the Alclad for the first time. I also paited the gearlever and handbrake lever, as well as part of the handbrake pivot.

Cheers for now
Warrem

I do Warren-very nice indeed!

Did you leave the green areas bare plastic?

How did the humbrol acrylic thinners work out?

Really like metal finishes
beefy66
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 01:50 AM UTC
Nice one Warren got one in the stash and remember a long time ago building one the radiator looks much better with the Alcad than what you get out the box

Cheers Keith
North4003
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 02:36 AM UTC
Warren, very good looking Bentley. The first one I saw was on this television show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10QW3Az1FTw
Mrs. Peel, we're needed!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers for now
Warrem

I do Warren-very nice indeed!

Did you leave the green areas bare plastic?

How did the humbrol acrylic thinners work out?

Really like metal finishes

Hi Russell.

No, I mixed my own BRG, The Humbrol Acrylics and thinners still don't work on this plastic for some unknown reason.. even after an undercoat still no good, yet the Tamiya ones work perfectly...

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one Warren got one in the stash and remember a long time ago building one the radiator looks much better with the Alcad than what you get out the box

Cheers Keith

Hi Keith.

Yep, the Alclad is much better than the chrome in the box.

One thing I would strongly recommend, as I am finding out now, before you paint the chassis, make sure all the support arms etc that attach to it, like the cycle wing fender struts, fit in the chassis rails. I am finding fits are a bit dodgy with some things at the moment.

I suppose you get that with a 1970's kit.

And it would be nice if someone could release a PE set for it to replace the headlight covers, grill, wire wheels etc. Now I think I am dreaming!!

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren, very good looking Bentley. The first one I saw was on this television show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10QW3Az1FTw
Mrs. Peel, we're needed!

Thanks Brent.

I can't say I ever watched that show.. Strange as I loved those comedy/dramas like the Persuaders etc..

Cheers
Warren
amegan
Visit this Community
entire network: 996 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 12:20 PM UTC
I never built that Bentley Warren, but I would love to.
Taking a step down (lots of steps actually, the old AEC Matador and 5.5" gun

Not bad progress for 1 night
btw also found that the lower half of the fuel tank is missing, gonna be more missing than there at this rate. Found the DUKW so might build that as well
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 05:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I never built that Bentley Warren, but I would love to.
Taking a step down (lots of steps actually, the old AEC Matador and 5.5" gun

Not bad progress for 1 night
btw also found that the lower half of the fuel tank is missing, gonna be more missing than there at this rate. Found the DUKW so might build that as well

One of my favourite Airfix OO/HO kits!

Now if they could bring out the 5.5in gun in 1/35 it would great behind the AFV Club Matador.

Good luck Andrew.
Warren