Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Airfix II Campaign
FJHueso
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 11:45 AM UTC
It's a reissue but with the old artbox (and box style, if my memory don't betrays me). I bought it precisely for that reason; it's like Harry Potter's Time Turner: that old kit, but with the skills of today!

Have a nice night, fellows!

Javier
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 11:56 AM UTC
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 5,926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 271 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:01 PM UTC
That's a great handle Quasimofo..

Good to see one of these older airliner kits being built by someone other than Jessie...
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 02:02 PM UTC
Hey! I resemble that remark! See? It's not just me who appreciates them
Welcome aboard, Bill. Enjoy your 737!
fandangoes
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 68 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hi
Great builds going on .
Update on hampden
Internal details are just for effect and not researched .White 0.5mm plastic card cut into strips,bomb doors lined with same and drilled before gluing .
Rivet detail removed and new lines engraved .

J
Quasimofo
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a great handle Quasimofo..

Good to see one of these older airliner kits being built by someone other than Jessie...

Thanks....I stayed up all night trying to think of something fun to use.

I've been on an airliner kick for over a year now. I'm building the 737 in tandem with the Revell of Germany Lufthansa A380. The size difference is...um...staggering.
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 05:49 AM UTC
well guess who totally missed the start of this one! i'm going to have a look at whats eligible for this as soon as i stop typing this.......

back in a mo!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 07:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

well guess who totally missed the start of this one! i'm going to have a look at whats eligible for this as soon as i stop typing this.......

back in a mo!

it has been a long mo..
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 08:17 AM UTC
all right, the story so far...........

I've been up in the loft, gone through the stash and decided that this kit was begging me to build it-

I then read through the whole thread, and noticed someone else was already building this one, however rather than go back up the loft I'll'll carry on with this build as it just gets in before the 1979 cut off point-

thing is, when I opened the box I found a forgotten bonus!

now is it OK to use this etch? it only really adds detail to the cockpit, stuff I may well have scratch built or otherwise improved

*edit* just spotted warrani's post, yeah the mo was stretched out due to my ever helpful camera phone deciding it just HAD to download all sorts of updates when all i wanted to do was put three pics up in this thread! doncha just love technology!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been up in the loft, gone through the stash and decided that this kit was begging me to build it-

I then read through the whole thread, and noticed someone else was already building this one, however rather than go back up the loft I'll'll carry on with this build as it just gets in before the 1979 cut off point-

now is it OK to use this etch? it only really adds detail to the cockpit, stuff I may well have scratch built or otherwise improved

*edit* just spotted warrani's post, yeah the mo was stretched out due to my ever helpful camera phone deciding it just HAD to download all sorts of updates when all i wanted to do was put three pics up in this thread! doncha just love technology!

That date has me confused as I know I built this kit in the early 1970s... Oh well..
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That date has me confused as I know I built this kit in the early 1970s... Oh well..

you did! that 1978 date had me thinking that this kit was older, it turns out (after a quick visit to the A.T.F. forum) that the whirlwind was originally kitted by airfix in 1958! this moulding was replaced in 1978 hence the date stamp on my example.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hi Phil,

Welcome to the fun
The etch is acceptable. If it makes you build the kit it's a win
tinbanger
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 141 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi
Calling this one done.
1959 mould date in a 1975 box.
Five colours sprayed on this build and I do not remember painting the first time that I built it!
Thank you Jessica for the campaign I already have a model lined up for Airfix III!

almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:11 AM UTC
thanks jessica! I have been piddling about with the etch, and it thrown me a bit of a curveball already, it seems theres no way to fit the folded cockpit tub into the fuselage...

and on that note i'll leave it for now, and have a think about how i'm going to deal with the problem.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:25 AM UTC
Well done Mr Banger..
tinbanger
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 141 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well done Mr Banger..

Thank you Warren.
I will have another Silverwings in-box review for you soon!
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 12:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks jessica! I have been piddling about with the etch, and it thrown me a bit of a curveball already, it seems theres no way to fit the folded cockpit tub into the fuselage...

I think that they expect you to thin down the cockpit walls considerably before you can fit it in. I had to do that with my Seahawk.
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 08:03 AM UTC
well, not only have I been thinning down the sides,but I threw every trick at my disposal at this- I also did manage to shave down the width of the instrument panel plus for good measure I will put a sliver of plasticard in the join to give me a little more width to play with-

the cockpit sides got as thin as I dared take them, when held up to a light they are really transparent! now that hiccup is out of the way I can get some more actual building done, maybe even some painting too!
North4003
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

well, not only have I been thinning down the sides,but I threw every trick at my disposal at this- I also did manage to shave down the width of the instrument panel plus for good measure I will put a sliver of plasticard in the join to give me a little more width to play with-

the cockpit sides got as thin as I dared take them, when held up to a light they are really transparent! now that hiccup is out of the way I can get some more actual building done, maybe even some painting too!

I'm amazed at the detail done in 1/72.
FJHueso
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 10:02 AM UTC
A first update. Now the launcher and trailer are finished (minus wheels), and Landy awaits its windows (I plan to add some acetate painted black or dark green inside). Only if about the Land Rover is a roof slgihtly larger than the body.

Now, I'll must put the booster an body back in fit (after those Christmas excesses

md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:12 PM UTC
The challenges never end. I have the fuselage together, now I just need to make it look like and airplane.

Quasimofo
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:51 AM UTC
Mark: Your F-5 looks like it fits just as good as my 737. I'm glad I have a fresh tube of putty...I'll be using a lot of it.

I finally have things on the 737 to the point where I can actually start gluing parts together. I've had to spend a lot of time filling in the cabin windows to the point where I was happy with them. The Milliput I used must be old, as I ended up with lots of random dark bits that came off in chunks during sanding, leaving pits and holes that needed to be filled in.

For my airliners, I normally use the kit cockpit glazing and leave the cabin windows open but fill them in with Krystal Kleer as the last step. But this kit is sort of forcing my hand to fill everything in...the windows are the wrong shape and the cockpit glass has gaps large enough to fly a 747 through. So, everything gets filled in and replaced with decals. Not my preferred method, but it'll be fun to try things things way.

Anyway, I also have all the panel lines rescribed. I more or less kept to the original panel lines but omitted a few here and there to simplify things. I'm happy with the way the lines turned out. The horrid silver plastic Airfix used has one benefit of leaving a "ghost" of the original raised panels lines after sanding them down. This helped immensely in rescribing the new ones.

One trick I tried in rescribing was to hit the scribed lines with a light dash of Tamiya extra thin cement. This "cleaned them out" and really helped in smoothing the edges and defining the new lines.

After the rescribing fun was finished, I starting gluing the main components together. I went back & forth trying to decide if I wanted to rebuild the nose gear bay, but opted against it to keep this build simple. So, the wings, engines and fuselage are now all assembled. The fuselage fit was abysmal (surprise), so filling and sanding that is going to take a HUGE amount of time. Plus, there are several sink holes that need to be filled in where the alignment pins and holes are.

In another week or so, it might actually start looking like a 737!

The last airliner I built was a Revel of Germany 737-800...I sorta got spoiled by how well that kit went together. This one is actually making me WORK! :-)

Berwickboy
Visit this Community
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
The 737 is in the schedule for re-release in 2014 along with the 727. Poseidon anybody?
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The 737 is in the schedule for re-release in 2014 along with the 727. Poseidon anybody?

It was re-released in the last year or two as well with Air New Zealand and Ansett decals, whihc is ironic as Air New Zealand took over Ansett, asset stripped them and then bankrupted them. The management should all be in jail for that.
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:45 AM UTC
My bad Warren

Just to show modelling continues in the Abbott household. I have actually managed to apply paint to the Thunderstreak although I have used a brush and am not happy with the result I shall continue onwards and downwards.

There is still masking in place. Whaddyerthink?