Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Airfix II Campaign
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Andy
That looks perfect... IT is pretty hard to believe this is a plastic model. This looks like the stuff you find in museums all worked open like that. I think this very soon will also grace my house... I like these models. Can't you make a movie to show us how it works? Would love to see that.

Thanks Robert ,you have to get one its so much fun to build ,even Mrs Torch was impressed .
If I can sus out a way to get a movie up I will,or stick on Youtube with a link,I'll have to wait to #1 son gets in from uni as I'm just a thickie HGV driver!! and not Bill Gates!!!
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 07:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessie
Wheres the gallery please?
Whens Airfix 3????
Hope you like
Andy

That's utterly lovely! I wish my Air Cadet Squadron had one of those back in the far-off days they tried to teach us about aero engines. Drawings on the blackboard just can't compete with something like this

Stand by on the gallery; I have to create it and I can't remember how I did it last time.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 5,926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jessie
Wheres the gallery please?
Whens Airfix 3????
Hope you like
Andy

That's utterly lovely! I wish my Air Cadet Squadron had one of those back in the far-off days they tried to teach us about aero engines. Drawings on the blackboard just can't compete with something like this

Stand by on the gallery; I have to create it and I can't remember how I did it last time.

This kit has been re-released by Airfix recently.

You did an awesome job on it Andy. Just don't try putting petrol in the carby..

I got the exhaust manifold of the Bentley the way I wanted it and installed the oil-filler. This kit cries out for a detail set..

And I sprayed the brake drums gloss black while I was at it.
Cheers
Warren
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC
Okay Airfixers, our gallery is live and may be found by following this path. Go to Gallery, then look toward the bottom of the page. Click on
Campaigns » 2013 Campaigns » !Airfix II (or just click on this elegant and finely crafted link) to upload your masterpieces
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 12:42 PM UTC
I thought I had sorted out the gaps but priming revealed quite a few, the wing roots top and bottom all needed filling and the pylon/wing joins. Having tried once I have had to re-visit on a number of occasions and it is getting a bit wearing, however, IT WILL NOT DEFEAT ME
ljames0874
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 11:33 PM UTC
Is there a sign up page for this campaign? After reading this thread a few days ago, I had a real pang of nostalgia for the 54mm Napoleonic figures, so all things being equal, I should have a French Line Infantryman, a Grenadier of the Old Guard, a 10th Hussar and a Gros Frere (Cuirrassier) on the way from Evil Bay. It looks like I can replace all the ones I used to have, apart from the 95th Rifleman, which is going to bug me no end.

Can anyone remember which of the French figures came with an Eagle Standard? I know there was one, because I converted the Scots Grey into Sgt Charles Ewart, who took the Eagle at Waterloo.
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can anyone remember which of the French figures came with an Eagle Standard? I know there was one, because I converted the Scots Grey into Sgt Charles Ewart, who took the Eagle at Waterloo.

Hi Lee ,I can't find an eagle in any Airfix 54mm figure kits,could it be from a Historex figure?
HTH
Andy
ljames0874
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 - 03:50 AM UTC
@Andy - possibly, I got it as part of a job lot from a militaria
shop on the Isle of Wight around 17 years ago. As far as I can recall, there was the Polish Lancer, Cuirrassier, Scots Dragoon, 42nd Highlander and a 95th Rifleman, all Airfix, plus a figure of Napoleon, which I'm fairly sure wasn't Airfix, plus a load of spare weapons and bits, which included the Eagle standard.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hi Lee,
The sign-up page may be found right here
We look forward to you joining us in our adventures and it'll be excellent to see more Napoleonic figures in the campaign.
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 - 08:12 AM UTC
A couple of update photos. I have settled on the filling as is so it's out with the airbrush next, another first for me

I found it very useful to use the in-flight option doors for the masking, thank you Airfix
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hi all.
Finished off the engine for the moment on the Blower..

Then came the fuel tank..

Basically the whole back of the car is fuel tank.
Then the frame..

It was a bit warped and buckled but I think I have it right. The fuel tank will go in the back of the chassis tomorrow when the frame is fully cured.
Cheers
Warren
ljames0874
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 01:36 AM UTC
"Allons enfants de la Patrie,
Le jour de gloire est arrivé !"

The first of my Evil Bay acquisitions arrived this morning, shortly to be followed by the 10th Hussar. I missed out on the Grenadier and the Cuirassier, never mind though, I've got more than enough to be going on with:

Incidentally, I noticed that the year of production on the packet was 1974, making this figure the same age as me!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 08:36 AM UTC
This is a big WELL DONE!! to Hornby's customer care department. As you know I am building the Blower Bentley for this campaign but the decals were too far gone for resurrection via sunlight. I emailed Hornby with my plight and they replied that they only had the new No.9 Decals rather than the original No.8 decals. Not a problem I said and they popped them in the mail for me the next day and they arrived yesterday.
Now THAT is how it should be done everyone else...
Thanks again Hornby.
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:12 AM UTC
I too have had good service from Airfix, I was missing a gun port from an A-4B Skyhawk and it arrived very quickly, trouble is I gave them the wrong part number, DOH.

The first coat of paint is on the underside of the Thunderstreak, Humbrol 96 applied by brush with a few drops of thinner to ease the flow. I was going to use an airbrush but my workspace is very limited so perhaps later when I have tidied up the garage.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 05:10 PM UTC
Hi everyone.

While I was trying to straighten the chassis of the Bentley this morning I applied a little too much heat and the front engine bearer frame was slightly (read lots) melted.. I thought I was beng careful but just as I took the heat away the part started to collapse into a strange shape.. SO now I must await getting in touch with Hornby again to see if I can get another part, or a whole new kit so I can make a resin copy of the original.

firstcircle
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

a little too much heat and the front engine bearer frame was slightly (read lots) melted..

Oh wow. What were you using as a heat source? I must confess the last time I tried to use a hot air gun, things got out of hand as well, fortunately I was able to bury it (literally).

Wonder if Airfix's spares dept are tested by this kind of thing... "ordered the wrong part" "I've melted my chassis".
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

a little too much heat and the front engine bearer frame was slightly (read lots) melted..

Oh wow. What were you using as a heat source? I must confess the last time I tried to use a hot air gun, things got out of hand as well, fortunately I was able to bury it (literally).

Wonder if Airfix's spares dept are tested by this kind of thing... "ordered the wrong part" "I've melted my chassis".

It did not actually melt. just warped lots.. I was being careful but not careful enough.. I am calling it a learning experience and if needs be I can always make another part.. but the Hornby option is the first one.

You actually get to talk to a human being that speaks without an asian accent when you speak with their customer people, but you have to order bits via email, not over the phone.

Cheers
Warren
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 07:44 AM UTC
I was surprised when I called them from the US West coast. That's like 8 hours time difference? I must have been well past 6PM in the UK and I got an operator, she did speak with an accent. It would have passed for a British one to me... They would replace the part for free, but I had to fork out about L3 for shipping and handling.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 08:21 AM UTC
It looked like this...

and now...

See what I mean...

@ Mark, I might join you with a Kingfisher yet.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 03:09 PM UTC
Well after the Bentley disaster I found another kit that easily qualifies for the GB..
Let's enter the way-back machine and travel back to 1965.. I was already 3..
Airfix were in their prime and they released one of their classic 1/72 aircraft that year, the Junkers Ju 52/3m. (Has anyone ever seen a model of the Ju 52/1m??)
I got this one off Ebay but he didn't add that the original box was missing.. and the decals notable only by their absence..
But I am a builder and collector so I was not too put out, but I did leave negative feedback..
Now, I am going to have to have a look online for some decals as I don't want to make the boring old German one everyone else makes, but one from the Swiss Air Force.. Hope I can find some nice decals that can snuggle down into those corrugations.. I think there may be a leakage problem with spraying..
Until I get around to taking a photo of said kit,
Cheers
Warren
ljames0874
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 08:40 PM UTC
It is rather nice and refreshing to read all these positive customer service experiences with Hornby/Airfix, especially from people on the other side of the planet. Luckily for me, I don't have very far to go, we recently moved to within 8 miles of the factory. Their visitor centre and shop is very good, as you would expect.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 11:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(Has anyone ever seen a model of the Ju 52/1m??)

Actually, I have. It was a very adventurous conversion of CF-ARM, not something you'd see everyday.

Quoted Text

Now, I am going to have to have a look online for some decals as I don't want to make the boring old German one everyone else makes, but one from the Swiss Air Force..

A Swiss Ju 52, you say?
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

(Has anyone ever seen a model of the Ju 52/1m??)

Actually, I have. It was a very adventurous conversion of CF-ARM, not something you'd see everyday.

Quoted Text

Now, I am going to have to have a look online for some decals as I don't want to make the boring old German one everyone else makes, but one from the Swiss Air Force..

A Swiss Ju 52, you say?

You are a veritable font of knowledge Ms Cooper...

You know something, a mauve Ju-52/3m would really stand out in the model cabinet.. I did order an Italeri 1/72 kit for the decals, but those look as though they would be awesome!

Let us see..
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 04:30 PM UTC
Plus you'd need to have some chocolate, purely for research purposes...
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 05:23 PM UTC
BTW, Jess, I'm holding you responsible for this.

It's in a race with the Chipmunk to be the first non US aircraft I've finished in @#$%^ years...