Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Wow, another LHS closes down
reccymech
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 87 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:59 AM UTC
I am guilty of online purchasing of all my model 'stuff'.
In my defence, where I live there ain't any model shops nearby, that is, ones that actually cater for military modelling tragics like myself.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,402 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:16 AM UTC
I almost forgot . . .

David in case you were wondering what Joe meant about your quirky grammar or your use of odd, head scratching comparative examples, look at this:

Quoted Text

. . . you (ihr) have nothing better to do . . . you (ihr) refuse to p1ss off . . .

You are apparently a native English speaker. Your audience is predominately native English speakers. Why the hell would you inject a German pronoun (twice!) in order to clarify which form of "you" is being used? Why wouldn't you simply write "you (plural)" or "you (pl)"?? Perhaps you think this makes you sound more sophisticated or something, but it just shows you can't write because you can't focus on communicating to your audience.

Besides, we deserve Sie, you know, as your betters.

KL

gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well said Kurt.

Do you think that the downturn of this hobby is in part due to the electronic age? How many kids these days are given the parents cell phone to play with when they get fidgety? And one of my favorite toys when I was a kid was Legos. But nowadays, all the pieces are specialized to build a particular thing. What ever happened to the plain rectangular pieces and imagination?

I couldn't agree more, especially when it comes to the Lego. It seems that Lego is like a model kit. You buy and build it into whatever is depicted on the box. I am nearly 50 and I still have my original set of Lego blocks, nothing fancy just squares and rectangles....awesome forts for toy soldiers!!!
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:06 AM UTC
Well said Kurt. Might I also say that, as one who is attempting to learn German, there's a lesson to be learned almost everywhere.

But I also want to say that I think we should try to leave the topic of FW/David's origins and get back on to the topic that was the original genesis of this whole thread. Either that or we should just try to forget about it. By continuing to argue and bicker and joust over the FW debacle we only serve to further his efforts of derailment. The more we continue with this, the more we feed him and the worse the situation becomes. His rather twisted comparison of Blart vs Goodfellas to which opinions can be considered "valid" aside, by continuing to argue with him only makes us stoop to his level of ignorance.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,402 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But I also want to say that I think we should try to leave the topic of FW/David's origins and get back on to the topic that was the original genesis of this whole thread.

Agreed. It should also be noted that when David/FW has posted sensibly about modeling he got no grief. It's when he steps into his private la-la-land that people react.

KL
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 05:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In my defence, where I live there ain't any model shops nearby, that is, ones that actually cater for military modelling tragics like myself.

You know there is no need to feel "guilty" for buying your stuff online,you don't need a "defense",it's up to you how you spend your dollars,even if you had 5 shops nearby..

The thing we can't do is not support them,then lament their passing,otherwise order away online and save.

pcavender
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 51 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 09:07 PM UTC
Didn't mean to ruffle feathers!!!!!!!

My local hobby store does have an extremely knowledgeable person working there and I do enjoy long conversations especially since I am new to armour modeling.
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You know there is no need to feel "guilty" for buying your stuff online,you don't need a "defense",it's up to you how you spend your dollars,even if you had 5 shops nearby..

I use a figure of 20% when it comes to online purchases vs. my LHS. If after currency exchange, shipping, etc. I save more than 20% I purchase online. The LHS here has signs up around the paint racks that say "If you want the small stuff to stay around we need you to purchase the big stuff"...at first I was a little put off by it, but I get where it is coming from.
The thing we can't do is not support them,then lament their passing,otherwise order away online and save.

Removed by original poster on 02/04/16 - 17:25:24 (GMT).
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:25 PM UTC
Has this become the Mr David Mckeever/F W Sauerteig thread?

At least if you have someone like this sitting next to you in a bar you can move to another ....
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I use a figure of 20% when it comes to online purchases vs. my LHS. If after currency exchange, shipping, etc. I save more than 20% I purchase online. The LHS here has signs up around the paint racks that say "If you want the small stuff to stay around we need you to purchase the big stuff"...at first I was a little put off by it, but I get where it is coming from.

One of the more sensible comments i've seen over this (actual) debate... Thanks!!!!
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

One of the more sensible comments i've seen over this (actual) debate... Thanks!!!!

LOL....trying to get the topic back on track, but somehow I think it is futile..

Do I dare, oh hell why not.....I will clarify my comments.

Using a figure of 20% does not equate to a 20% margin, nor does that equate to $200/yr based on spending $1000. I take each purchase individually. In some cases after currency exchange rates and postage the price is exactly the same, in some cases it is more than my LHS. The 20% is an item by item decision. There is something nice about a place where you can meet up with people who share the same interests, or a place where you can handle the products, get opinions, advice, and generally shoot the s***. Unfortunately in our world this comes at a premium now, for me I am willing to pay a little extra to keep that environment around.

I do not possess an MBA when it comes to my hobby expenditures...I simply want a break from the reality of the day to day ugliness of our world.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:58 PM UTC
Some of the responses in this thread are proof positive that it can be more enjoyable to walk into a BnM Shop, look around, fondle the merchandise, talk to someone if you choose, make a purchase if it strikes your fancy, or, if someone is being rude, you can simply walk out of the store.

I would guess that if all of this conversation were actually conducted face to face, the conversation wouldn't run to the rude side the way it has, because person to person interaction would remove the anonymity of the internet.

Quoted Text

The thing we can't do is not support them, then lament their passing, otherwise order away online and save.

Well said. I CHOOSE to support some of the stores I like, because I will miss them when they are gone. Sometimes I garner something more than just merchandise from the slightly higher costs, but it's my money so I can spend it however I wish.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 11:08 PM UTC
Be careful, it's illegal in most states to fondle the merchandise!
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some of the responses in this thread are proof positive that it can be more enjoyable to walk into a BnM Shop, look around, fondle the merchandise, talk to someone if you choose, make a purchase if it strikes your fancy, or, if someone is being rude, you can simply walk out of the store.

I would guess that if all of this conversation were actually conducted face to face, the conversation wouldn't run to the rude side the way it has, because person to person interaction would remove the anonymity of the internet.

Quoted Text

The thing we can't do is not support them, then lament their passing, otherwise order away online and save.

Well said. I CHOOSE to support some of the stores I like, because I will miss them when they are gone. Sometimes I garner something more than just merchandise from the slightly higher costs, but it's my money so I can spend it however I wish.

Well stated.....we have only one hobby shop here in Victoria, and the owner does his best to cater to the numerous hobbyists in the area. I like dropping by a place that knows me by name, it's not exactly Norm walking in Cheers, but pretty close at times. It has a great history as a store in the area, starting out as a place for men to buy everything and anything related to Shaving, back in the early 50's.....I share your sediment, it's my money as well and I will spend where and as I wish...
chavey65
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:37 AM UTC
yes,well said,quite bizare realy,could not understand that post.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"If you want the small stuff to stay around we need you to purchase the big stuff"...at first I was a little put off by it, but I get where it is coming from.

One of the more sensible comments i've seen over this (actual) debate... Thanks!!!! [/quote]

I agree. If it was just down to the cheapest way to buy then probably online would win out, but as many have expressed and others (no names) simply fail to comprehend it goes beyond just the cost, to something more emotional and as human beings we are in the main, sociable creatures who enjoy human interaction. The opportunity to indulge ourselves in this hobby related pleasure is becoming less and less. For those who desire to see it remain means doing as the quote above says.

I have chosen not to respond directly to the rants and ravings for no other reason than to spare the readers of this thread any more of this individuals behaviour, although count your blessings as in other places it's actually worse than what he posts here.

Lets get back to modelling
chavey65
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 39 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 02:27 AM UTC
The right to reply,is great, but,will you just shut up and clear off...
j76ljr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 150 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

"If you want the small stuff to stay around we need you to purchase the big stuff"...at first I was a little put off by it, but I get where it is coming from.

well said !

I agree. If it was just down to the cheapest way to buy then probably online would win out, but as many have expressed and others (no names) simply fail to comprehend it goes beyond just the cost, to something more emotional and as human beings we are in the main, sociable creatures who enjoy human interaction. The opportunity to indulge ourselves in this hobby related pleasure is becoming less and less. For those who desire to see it remain means doing as the quote above says.

I have chosen not to respond directly to the rants and ravings for no other reason than to spare the readers of this thread any more of this individuals behaviour, although count your blessings as in other places it's actually worse than what he posts here.

Lets get back to modelling[/quote]
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lets get back to modelling

Amen to this!
pcavender
Visit this Community
entire network: 51 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 06:25 AM UTC
I thought this sight was for modeling. How did all this transpire just from a comment about loosing some of the local hobby stores? If I read all the threads, I wouldn't have time to work on my model. Well, at least we do have Keith hopefully for a long time.