Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Wow, another LHS closes down
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 857 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:28 PM UTC
One of the two Hobby Shops in my area (F&M Hobbies) that I frequent moved to a new location last year. The store was owned by an older gentleman for nearly 3 decades before he sold it several years back to a young guy. For years the store specialized in only HO trains and model kits, but the business was slipping. Being smart the new owner brought back in RC cars, and besides that and selling his store on ebay as well, its the only thing that really keeps him afloat.

So as much as we like to reminisce about the old days and the way things used to be, the reality is that things change and luckily this owner saw the writing on the wall and didn't just specialize in such a niche part of hobbies like plastic kits or trains, he expanded to things that expanded the business, and because of that I can still walk into his store and buy or order what I want.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No prejudies here, KL. Not only am I unwilling to pay a premium of 30 dollars extra PER KIT, I do not understand why anyone would who has to keep track of money.
Such folly reminds me of Niles Standish from Crank Yankers. Name your price--then DOUBLE IT .

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/9ajj8p/crank-yankers-niles-needs-assistance

30 bucks extra?? Jeez... What kind of gold plated models was that guy selling? Fortunately, not every store is like that. Like I said before, 2 stores near me sell their kits either a dollar or two above MSRP, or 10-15% off MSRP. Constantly. That's the set pricing trend in the stores. In addition, the owners are very cordial, friendly and very helpful when it's about the subject they know. One of the guys specialized in R/C and can't help much in models. The other guy is all models. I am more that willing to buy from them because of this. I don't understand why you can't understand other people's willingness to support local business when it's a positive one. I suppose you buy from eBay often? I also suppose you check to see where the product is shipping from? Correct?

And I will say, just because you've had bad experiences with a few dealers does not mean that every dealer out there is a rotten apple. Nor does it mean that we should all just put down our wallets and never give a cent to these business anymore. There are some truly great business out there. It doesn't even meant that those dealers where necessarily rotten apples either. Maybe they were having a bad day or something. They're humans too. They can have bad days just like we all can.
wildbill426
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 403 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:47 AM UTC
You know, Sauertieg, I was going to reply to you, but it is futile. You are definitely a Donald Trump supporter. Good luck to you, and I will choose to pay some more money and have my LHS. Again, when I need something quickly, having a local store sure beats ANY form of mail order.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 02:07 AM UTC
I actually have to agree with F.W here.

Last week I went to local hobby shop here in North Jersey. The place was full of kit, many old kits, lot of cool stuff that is more easy to find on ebay these days then in a store. I was amazed though at the prices. I know that the hobby shop wants to make their cost as well, but I was floored by the inflated prices.

I thought to myself why would I buy this when its $20 dollars cheaper with shipping at spruebrothers or Squadron? Even a few of the overseas stored had cheaper prices with the shipping added in

I love the hobby shop, but reality is reality here
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 03:18 AM UTC
long island new york here,

I go to 2 hobby stores. One in mineola which is ok and the other in bayshore. the bayshore guy has a lot of stuff but its so hard to find anything. He must have 2k in photoetch and none of is it organized. Its impossible to find anything and he doesnt have a computerized inventory to see if he has anything in stock. I buy my base model from there but all aftermarkets and paints i have to get online.

I have seen many new people just walk in, see how cluttered it is then walk right out.

I think stores need to really create a community to survive. Have a small build area. Less stock but more relevant. Discount models that have been sitting on shelves for years. Bundle aftermarket parts with the model.

It has little to do with "no kids in the hobby"

- steve
Removed by original poster on 01/28/16 - 00:12:37 (GMT).
j76ljr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 150 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:10 AM UTC
[quote][quote]One of the two Hobby Shops in my area (F&M Hobbies) that I frequent moved to a new location last year. The store was owned by an older gentleman for nearly 3 decades before he sold it several years back to a young guy. For years the store specialized in only HO trains and model kits, but the business was slipping. Being smart the new owner brought back in RC cars, and besides that and selling his store on ebay as well, its the only thing that really keeps him afloat.

are the in LBI ?

j76ljr
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Last week I went to local hobby shop here in North Jersey. The place was full of kit, many old kits, lot of cool stuff that is more easy to find on ebay these days then in a store. I was amazed though at the prices. I know that the hobby shop wants to make their cost as well, but I was floored by the inflated prices.

I thought to myself why would I buy this when its $20 dollars cheaper with shipping at spruebrothers or Squadron? Even a few of the overseas stored had cheaper prices with the shipping added in

the only on I know in North Jersey is Ridgefield and hes a thief ! right on broad ave. he also rewraps. I bought a kit in there once and it was half built and painted !
j76ljr
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Initially on line prices are lower, but when you factor in shipping costs, I dont think they are. Indirectly your paying for gas online too. I was never more then 30 minutes from LHS sometimes a lot closer. and most of the places where great people to ask questions or advice .

Lou,
you have to search,I even use ebay,the guy in Maplewood had the Tamiya/Tasca Easy 8 for $75.00 he wouldn't budge off that price,I got it from a guy in Korea for $54.00 including shipping,now that's substantial savings.

So when you go to Maplewood stop by,I'm 5 min away

Hes catering to gamers and RCs now Tony. not many models at all . I was there 2 summers ago . He was expensive and so is the Ridgefield guy ,but remember Danas in Bloomfield ,or highway hobbies in Ramsey or Johns in Clifton ? they were fine. and most of the guys we buy from at the shows have LHS and you cant beat their prices ! I always liked going out to a LHS , I know theres room for both but I always liked going there .
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:50 AM UTC
As I have indicated before it isn't going to be long before you will start paying taxes for out of state purchases and also import taxes. That will change a few attitudes and the amount of money you will actually have to play with.

In the years I have been in retail I have never run into any model being sold for 30 dollars above msrp nor has the store I run ever entertained the idea let alone set such a margin on any kit of any brand.

Clearly you have never walked through our doors and I can assure you our attitudes do not mirror what you have indicated throughout your verbal onslaught of the local hobby shops.

Perhaps the attitudes of those you talk about are due to the attitudes of the customer base they have had to endure over the years and surrounded by, who knows?

Based on your comments you sound like a very bitter person and sadly very much like those you have such a distaste for.

If your coming to the AMPS show in South Carolina I would like to meet you and extend a little southern hobby shop hospitality, where we deal in reality, friendly service, realistic pricing and don't engage our customer base with verbal diarrhea.

We simply expect the customer to can unfriendly attitudes before entering and leave their soap box outside.

I hope you have a great evening.

Keith
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 06:04 AM UTC
Keith F-
Where are you located in South Cackalaky?
Your profile says HTUSA, are you the owner of one of their franchises?
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,575 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In the years I have been in retail I have never run into any model being sold for 30 dollars above msrp nor has the store I run ever entertained the idea let alone set such a margin on any kit of any brand.

Ah, never say never. You have too much faith in your fellow retailers, my friend. I wanted to pick up the Polar Lights 920 Batmobile Deluxe Edition. The MSRP is $32.99. I stopped by Jan's Hobby Shop, on Lexington Ave. between E.94th and E.95th Streets in Manhattan. They had it for $57.90. Add 8.75% sales tax and the price is $62.96. As anyone who is from the city knows, that's par for the course at Jan's. Their prices are obscenely way over MSRP on almost every model kit on the shelves. Forget about armor. The average markup over MSRP is almost 25 bucks. Most of the shop's business is generated via high-end commission builds by the owner's son for A-list celebrities and rich guys with lots of money and not enough time to build their own. The owner, Colette, is a very friendly person and my son and I enjoy talking with her when we do stop by. That doesn't mean I'm going to walk out without my pants after buying an overpriced kit.

Anywho, I take the subway out to Astoria, over in Queens. There's a store called ModelCars.com on 38th St. and 23rd Ave. In addition to the physical store, they have an online presence. They sell the same kit for $31.15 and, with tax, that comes to $33.88. That is a whopping $29.08(just about 30 bucks ) less than Jan's.

Jan's has the Soar Art Dora available for over nine bills plus tax. I found a hobby shop on Flatbush Ave., in Brooklyn, selling it for $675. I could go on; but, you get the idea.

There are B & M retailers who will attempt to suck every last penny out of your pocket without thinking twice. Part of the problem is that the average modeler hasn't a friggin' clue as to what the actual MSRP of a kit really is. You can visit ten B & M stores and find ten different prices, most of which have a price tag above the MSRP listed at, let's say, Dragon USA Online. Online retailers aren't that much more above board about the actual MSRP either. You can also visit ten different e-shops and get the same results. F.W. is dead on right about treating hobby shops as charity cases. The owners aren't operating these places because they're doing you a favor or because they like you. They want to separate you from what's in your wallet. If the argument is that we, as customers, should do whatever is possible to keep these establishments open, up to and including overpaying for things, that's just plain stupid. Neither customer nor shop owner owe anything to the other. Nothing personal, just business. If the joint ends up closing due to the lack of that business, that's not my, or anybody else's problem. Just as they are intent on me to spend my money, I'm just as intent on keeping as much as possible.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

the only on I know in North Jersey is Ridgefield and hes a thief ! right on broad ave. he also rewraps. I bought a kit in there once and it was half built and painted !

Yep! That's where it was!

Strange place, combination coffee shop, combination hobby store, very strange. Guy was a little grumpy, but overall he was ok. I was floored by the prices though and it made total sense why he still never sold kits dating back to the 80s.
To answer your other question, I'm in North Jersey, in the Morris County area. The two stores that I will usually go to are Kenvil Hobbies in Kenvil, and F&M in Flanders.
Removed by original poster on 01/28/16 - 09:57:44 (GMT).
j76lr
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,081 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 02:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Strange place, combination coffee shop, combination hobby store, very strange. Guy was a little grumpy, but overall he was ok. I was floored by the prices though and it made total sense why he still never sold kits dating back to the 80s.
To answer your other question, I'm in North Jersey, in the Morris County area. The two stores that I will usually go to are Kenvil Hobbies in Kenvil, and F&M in Flanders.

I'm in Bergen county , other than Ridgefield, there's not much here! And he IS a THIEF ! He used to go to shows but priced himself out of them. April 2 there's a show in Wayne P A L . last time it wasn't so great, but usually you can get great prices ! if you like road trips there's a show in Danbury Conn, every Sept. there's a tank museum up there too. good day out !
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,402 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

F.W. is dead on right about treating hobby shops as charity cases. The owners aren't operating these places because they're doing you a favor or because they like you. They want to separate you from what's in your wallet. If the argument is that we, as customers, should do whatever is possible to keep these establishments open, up to and including overpaying for things, that's just plain stupid.

What's ironic about this argument is that you guys choose to live in one of the most expensive areas of the country, freely paying a premium "to be able to buy a cheeseburger at 3 o'clock in the morning" . . . For $22.50.

:p

KL
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,402 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 04:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Part of the problem is that the average modeler hasn't a friggin' clue as to what the actual MSRP of a kit really is. You can visit ten B & M stores and find ten different prices, most of which have a price tag above the MSRP listed at, let's say, Dragon USA Online. Online retailers aren't that much more above board about the actual MSRP either.

Out of curiosity, beyond giving an order of magnitude range for the kit price, what relevance is the MSRP? If you look around and a kit you want is going for $45 to $60 everywhere, does it matter if the MSRP is $20 or $125?

KL
wowcool
Visit this Community
Solomon Islands
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:39 PM UTC
The answer is yes, from my experience, awareness of the MSRP is extremely helpful to us buyers if we're looking to saving. Japanese model kits are typically quite convenient in this regard as their MSRP is printed on the box (in Yen of course). It helps you decide if you're getting a big bargain, paying the right price, or being completely ripped off.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 06:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Keith,

You were never there during any of my experiences, and I venture a guess you have never been to any of the places I mention, so let's not get personal about it. I am not always the easiest person to get along with, but I try to abide by the good Doctor Lector's standard of behavior--courteous and receptive to courtesy.

Not that some folks on message boards are any better than some of the personalities I have related. I suppose it all buttresses my very dim view of humanity.

I agree with you wholeheartedly and my response was based purely on reading every detail of your input, how it feels and how you come across to me.

Not knowing you in person, one bases opinions, feelings and responses on these threads based on how I feel about them as well and it actually seems to me that you have almost made a personal crusade out of disliking any and all brick and mortar hobby shops and those who run them.

My responses come from my years of dealings with the public in the retail hobby business and feel qualified to state my position from inside the store and behind the counter as well as being a customer for the last 50 plus years of building..

It is better to not tar ALL hobby shops with the same brush, you have never set foot here either so the same can be said, you know zero about our store and its owners and staff..

I do not own a hobby shop but did back in the 80's and early 90's and retired.

I have however worked in this store since the beginning of 2008 and managed it for the last two years.
I came back to the hobby business because I was asked to and I know the model side of a hobby shop inside and out and enjoy working with the public (to a certain extent)..

That said, our owners own seven stores, one in Kentucky, five in Ohio and this one in Columbia, South Carolina and I can assure you and every reader here that their multi state business success has not been built on price gouging and poor service over the last 25 plus years.
If that was the case, customers would have bailed long ago.

It has been built on fair pricing, good stock of all hobby related items and not just the model world, local club support both ways and customer service.

Again we, the store and the owners support our clubs, the AMPS club meets in our store and the owners have agreed to help financially with the upcoming raffle for the National AMPS show and competition in Sumter SC. this April...

As I said, come on down, visit and try some Southern hospitality for yourself, there is nothing personal in my responses at all.

Keith.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm in Bergen county , other than Ridgefield, there's not much here! And he IS a THIEF ! He used to go to shows but priced himself out of them. April 2 there's a show in Wayne P A L . last time it wasn't so great, but usually you can get great prices ! if you like road trips there's a show in Danbury Conn, every Sept. there's a tank museum up there too. good day out !

Yea I used to go to the Wayne show but haven't in a few years. Definitely want to make the trip in Danbury, I hear great things about it all the time.