Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Wow, another LHS closes down
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 09:49 PM UTC
So there no misunderstanding I purchase for our store and speak from experience as both a customer and a retailer and not from one side.

To compare without knowledge of the retailers position and costs related is thus a one sided opinion and can't be a well informed one.

Distributors sell to retail below what you will buy an item for and it is up to the store to determine the shelf price.

In Phil's defense, when we order, we order across the board for every category in the store and not for just one category, that of models and model related items.

If we (I) order before noon the order is hitting the shelf two or three days later barring unforseen circumstances such as weather delays.

This is the normal turn around time for us.

Three days is not a problem if the item is in stock and we do not pay for shipping if we meet the minimum order.

For one distributor we deal with we do not have a minimum requirement.

We pass that along to the customers and Phil is one of mine so they, he, never pays for shipping when ordering through the store.

The clubs then get a 10% discount and that routinely puts the final price within a dollar or two of the internet.

Again I am speaking from experience of both sides of the counter not just one sided. We are not in direct competition and don't pretend to be when it comes to the Internet, to each his own.

A customer has the right to pick and choose but don't wag your finger at retail unless you know the business side of it.

I would venture to say the majority of posters on this thread don't have a clue.

Have a great day and if your coming to South Carolina for the AMPS show I look forward to meeting you.

Keith
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I will further submit to you this--who are you then to insist, for example, that the opinions of, say Nambla, are wrong? Their position setting forth the prodigious advantages of man boy love, even consummating with carnal knowledge, are just an opinion. Who are you to say they are wrong? How dare you indulge in such intolerance!

What the heck!?

This may seem absurd, but it is the inevitable corollary of the position that everyone's opinion is valid.
Do you really think the opinion that Paul Blart Mall Cop is just as good as Good Fellas is really just as valid as to the plain and obvious truth: that Good Fellas is one of the greatest movies ever made and Paul Blart is more or less excrement.

I do wonder how much longer we are going to have to put with this drivel, and what it has to do with armour modelling.

Another thing. I thought you were not allowed to have more than one account, so how come Mr David Mckeever and F W Sauerteig are one of the same. Don't say you are not I've now got evidence via my emails. What possible motive other than deception would you want to do this. The last character caught doing this was banned and you should be to.

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Please overlook the lateness of my reply. I had the unenviable duty of helping my fiancee move out of her old place and into mine. It was probably the longest weekend I have ever suffered.

I hope i'm not being forward here, but I really would like to express my deepest condolences to her...

Being serious for a moment, not having had much interest or inclination in posting here for a while, it's depressing to see so many people making valid points regarding LHS' and their demise to see the thread hijacked in such an offensive manner.

In the interests of common decency/sense/basic intelligence can Mr David Mckeever/F W Sauerteig (delete where applicable)take his eccentric views and move to another site/space-time continuum?
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 10:32 PM UTC
I live in Victoria, BC Canada; we have one hobby shop that covers most of the bases. It's BC Shaver and Hobbies, interestingly it started out as a store that sold men's shaving products only - thus the original name was BC Shaver and it opened in the early 50's.

If I remember correctly, in the early years, the store had a Lionel train set in the window as a Christmas decoration. It drew a lot of people wanting to buy train sets, the owner saw an opportunity and today we have BC Shaver and Hobbies.

It's a great place to drop by, the staff all have their areas of expertise, and they all partake in the hobbies that they sell. Like any business the internet has hit them hard. I like to do my best to shop local and support the local economy and businesses. However, I to have a budget and want to get the most for my dollar. When deciding to buy a kit locally or via the internet I have a figure of 20%. If after paying exchange rates, and shipping costs I can save more than 20% I will buy online.

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:25 PM UTC
I'm afraid, that Mr David Mckeever/F W Sauerteig is deliberately muddying the waters by interpreting as offensive any view which doesn't coincide with his.

This is unfortunate. However, looking at his (and i'll use the word again) 'eccentric' interpretaions, the only conclusión I can come to, is that Mr David Mckeever/F W Sauerteig really has no interest beyond causing trouble.

Ironically, i'm commiting the sin of providing nourishment to this mythical character who unlike his fictional counterparts does not appear to live under a bridge?
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,575 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At Alan MacKenzie

It is really quite simple. For NO other reason so that you and K Laughlin and a few others would leave me the fvck alone. You and your entoruage followed me on here and tracklink, bc you (ihr) have nothing better to do. I grew tired of it so I created a different account. I do not use the other one except to sell
I begged and pleaded with mods to put you and your friends in place, or at the very least to have you and your band leave me alone. This was the best alternative as you (ihr) refuse to p1ss off.
Again--the irony is that you people are guilty of the very same intolerance of. Every opinion is just as valid, except mine of course because I reject that. If all opinions are valid, then my opinion or strongly stated positon that they are wrong is also valid. But you people are too stupid to even see that.
As for the other guy making comments about my fiancee--how the f is that permitted. Of course all of this is stated by you and your kind from behind the the safety of a computer screen. Cowards and hypocrits all of you.

Dave, you made it too easy. The line was baited and you got hooked. I pay attention to small details. Sending me that PM almost immediately after I supposedly agreed with F.W. cinched it. You could have at least created a better alternate identity. You and F.W. both call Seattle home; you both lived in Charlottesville, Va. and both presently live in NYC. Not very original. No matter how hard you tried, your confrontational and combative attitude, unique (quirky) grammatical style and use of odd, head scratching comparative examples to argue your positions was obvious and unmistakable in both characters. I gotta give you an "F" for creative character development.

Don't feign offense at Jim's comment about your fiancee. He's right. Your posts about women online, as F.W, Sauerteig, would make her reconsider what she's gotten into. Describing your/F.W's comments as misogynistic and vulgar, even by my low standards, would be a gross understatement.
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:50 AM UTC
No offense meant here, but F. W. Sauerteig, and Jim Rae you both are very passionate on your issues, could you guys simply PM each other? The original title: wow, another LHS closes down should be the topic here, not the frustration that you all have with one another over two accounts under one name......why do you guys feel the need to carry out your argument in a public forum? I am not saying either of you is right or wrong, personally I don't give a rats ass, I don't want to read it or deal with filtering through the remarks to get to the topic of the thread. I am pretty sure others feel the same.

Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,575 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:52 AM UTC
Evidently, you're not familiar with the whole story of McKeever/Sauerteig.
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 01:04 AM UTC
Nope, and hopefully I don't learn about it....
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At Alan MacKenzie

It is really quite simple. For NO other reason so that you and K Laughlin and a few others would leave me the fvck alone. You and your entoruage followed me on here and tracklink, bc you (ihr) have nothing better to do. I grew tired of it so I created a different account.

D Mckeever enlistment 24th March 2011
F. W. Sauerteig enlistment 14th October 2012
My first comment on your behaviour and attitude on here, which in turn led to others confirming it - March 12th 2013.
Now what's the word I'm looking for beginning with L......
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 2,493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 147 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 01:33 AM UTC
Wow. This has gotten weird.
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:19 AM UTC
Perhaps a forum titled "Move over Hatfields and McCoys - here comes McKeever & Sauerteig" that way these two fellows could go at it against one another there. This way when I am wanting to turn my brain off to drama at the end of the day, and check in on my hobby world I can do so in peace......
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 325 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:22 AM UTC
Yeah, it's gotten a little weird...

Anyway, again, it's unfortunate that there isn't a LHS where I could browse kits and supplies, connect with other modelers, etc. I am told there is a Hobbytown USA in Mount Juliet, but that's a bit far for me.

That said, there are a few Hobby Lobby stores locally, which carry a few items I've picked up like Vallejo paints, but it's pretty hit or miss with Hobby Lobby and by far, most of what I purchase is online. I've no other option.

And that in itself isn't so bad. Definite plus is say, the Polish eBay seller who almost always includes extra items, such as aftermarket Aber aerials, aerial mounts, buckets, etc. I can only contrast that with the defunct Father & Son Hobby Shop which, like so often one encounters in fast food drive-thrus, would exclude a few or several paid items. And you couldn't see them do it as they'd wrap and seal your purchases with that brown paper rapidly with their back turned.

Think of it: How many times items were paid for, only to be returned to the store stock at that place? So again, in that case, they did it to themselves. They reaped what they sowed. Sure, just one store of many, but again, for them it's too bad, I don't have much sympathy. Just my dos centavos.
astralscooter
Visit this Community
Telemark, Norway
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:23 AM UTC
I've returned to this site after some time, and see that little has changed...

Anyway. There has been said that the death of the LHS means the (slow) death of this hobby.

Just to stir the pot a bit, I must confess that I really don't care if this hobby dies along with us old farts. I have two kids, but at no point whatsoever, have I found a compelling reason to want to expose them to a hobby with a lot of nasty chemistry, and which is yet another excuse to sit on their asses.

And for some odd reason, the amount of modelling stuff available has more or less exploded over the past decade, so I'm not overly worried about availability of kits and supplies in the foreseeable future. I've already accumulated enough [auto-censored] to keep me going for years, and I keep buying more.

There's a number of noble causes one probably should encourage the young to take part in, but scale modelling is not one of them. Massive recruitment to this hobby is an impossible mission anyway, I think. There's simply too many other attractions to compete with.

Arild
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've returned to this site after some time, and see that little has changed...

Anyway. There has been said that the death of the LHS means the (slow) death of this hobby.

Just to stir the pot a bit, I must confess that I really don't care if this hobby dies along with us old farts. I have two kids, but at no point whatsoever, have I found a compelling reason to want to expose them to a hobby with a lot of nasty chemistry, and which is yet another excuse to sit on their asses.

And for some odd reason, the amount of modelling stuff available has more or less exploded over the past decade, so I'm not overly worried about availability of kits and supplies in the foreseeable future. I've already accumulated enough [auto-censored] to keep me going for years, and I keep buying more.

There's a number of noble causes one probably should encourage the young to take part in, but scale modelling is not one of them. Massive recruitment to this hobby is an impossible mission anyway, I think. There's simply too many other attractions to compete with.

Arild

So were only to spend our time with noble causes ? Recreation and entertainment are not noble enough. I don't get your point at all.If it's not a "noble cause" it's not worth doing ?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow. This has gotten weird.

Yep.....
astralscooter
Visit this Community
Telemark, Norway
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So were only to spend our time with noble causes ? Recreation and entertainment are not noble enough. I don't get your point at all.If it's not a "noble cause" it's not worth doing ?

Not exactly what I meant. After all, I spend a lot of time modelling, so it is obviously worth the while. For me. And a lot of others.

I just can't bring myself to worry about recruitment, as I think it is more or less a lost battle anyway. The golden days of old with kits available in every toy store will not return. If that is indeed the benchmark of things.

But, who knows, perhaps the new 3D printing stuff etc will open whole new entry points to the hobby for the younger generations?

Arild
Tojo72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not exactly what I meant. After all, I spend a lot of time modelling, so it is obviously worth the while. For me. And a lot of others.

I just can't bring myself to worry about recruitment, as I think it is more or less a lost battle anyway. The golden days of old with kits available in every toy store will not return. If that is indeed the benchmark of things.

But, who knows, perhaps the new 3D printing stuff etc will open whole new entry points to the hobby for the younger generations?

Arild

True
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,402 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is really quite simple. For NO other reason so that you and K Laughlin and a few others would leave me the fvck alone. You and your entoruage followed me on here and tracklink, bc you (ihr) have nothing better to do.

Followed *you* to Track-Link? I just looked and I published a review on there in October, 1999. Were you on before that? I think a better characterization is that you *fled*.

Quoted Text

I grew tired of it so I created a different account.

Well that's one way of looking at things. I know for a fact that you were banned from Track-Link and suspect the same on Missing-Links.

Quoted Text

I begged and pleaded with mods to put you and your friends in place, or at the very least to have you and your band leave me alone. This was the best alternative as you (ihr) refuse to p1ss off.

The fact of the matter is that you are either nuts or are incapable of not *acting* like a nut. You absolutely wig out over things like the necessity of using primer on models. Simply reading "In my experience primer is not necessary" led you into paroxysms of rage, demanding that such wrong-headed statements be removed or punished by the site owners. You react completely out of proportion to any perceived slight. The problem is your complete inability to behave sanely or even to recognize when you are going to do something objectionable and just walk away from the keyboard. Your pathology is that you simply must respond.

No one is hounding you. No one is tormenting you. No one even cares about you. Your problems are your fault and your fault alone, caused by you and you alone, and could have been prevented by you acting on your own.

KL
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:14 AM UTC
I thought that this is ARMORAMA......NOT DRAMORAMA
joepanzer
Visit this Community
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:29 AM UTC
Well said Kurt.

Do you think that the downturn of this hobby is in part due to the electronic age? How many kids these days are given the parents cell phone to play with when they get fidgety? And one of my favorite toys when I was a kid was Legos. But nowadays, all the pieces are specialized to build a particular thing. What ever happened to the plain rectangular pieces and imagination?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,402 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well said Kurt.

Do you think that the downturn of this hobby is in part due to the electronic age? How many kids these days are given the parents cell phone to play with when they get fidgety? And one of my favorite toys when I was a kid was Legos. But nowadays, all the pieces are specialized to build a particular thing. What ever happened to the plain rectangular pieces and imagination?

First off, I don't think the hobby IS in a downturn. Other than the number of hobby shops in existence or the number of places you can buy models over the counter, what objective metric says the hobby is slipping?

Second, I'm hesitant to blame "electronics" for any perceived negative aspect of the hobby. As I think I wrote some pages back, in 1975 there weren't that many kids my age building models. I doubt my great-nephews who are of a similar age see a different percentage today.

KL