_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Wow, another LHS closes down
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damn, I wish some of my build log threads generated this sort of interest and passion !

Spot on!
This post was removed.
This post was removed.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC
How about someone taking on the mantle of the better man and letting this tit for tat drop.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about someone taking on the mantle of the better man and letting this tit for tat drop.

How about moving this to the "general modeling" forum since it doesn't have a thing to do with AFVs?
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 59 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 12:21 AM UTC
How about spending some time building something?

Oh hang on a minute......

This post was removed.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 551 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damn, I wish some of my build log threads generated this sort of interest and passion !

You are right on. I'm going to make every effort to respond to build logs from now on!

(Oh no! I just replied in THIS thread! )
This post was removed.
This post was removed.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 01:54 AM UTC
Oh, Nick, my blogs wouldn't mind some posting love. I guess I'll have to start some now.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:32 AM UTC
Where I live in Eastern Canada, I am the only hobby shop.

Next one south is about a 4hr drive to Halifax, NS (where they have 2 shops), and next one north is a 6hr drive to Quebec City.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:45 AM UTC
Am thinking this thread has run its course, as it seem to be degrading very rapidly. Think I will go to the hobby shop, socialize a little, look at some new releases, and maybe pick something up. Then off to the work bench away from the sillyness.....

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How about moving this to the "general modeling" forum since it doesn't have a thing to do with AFVs?

Good point. I think sometimes people forget that we don't really have dedicated moderators. Rather our editors (who are busy adding news, reviews, and features to the site) get side-tracked by this stuff.

If there are those who have shown admirable forum decorum here or elsewhere the moderator position is actually open. We just don't do a good job lately with trying to bring on mods, even though sometime they are sorely needed.

More later. I have to actually drop off 6 packages in the mail and then pick up my kid from school.

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 03:45 AM UTC
I have removed comments on this page from three folks who simply want to rant. Stop. Warning given.

Jim
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 05:24 AM UTC
Well it might be of little consolation but I'm glad I'm I've blocked him.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 03:23 AM UTC
Now the drama has subsided, I will offer my own take. I do buy online but I also shop at a couple of LHS here in Vancouver. Since the 90's most of the smaller ones have died either to simply going out of business, or in many cases, due to rent hikes and unbridled development and a fairly unregulated real estate market. The stores that have survived are diverse in nature, carrying RC products, games, role playing games and figures/models, collectibles, general craft and hobby stuff, diecast, anime stuff and one even has a complete comic shop and a dedicated room for RP games. I can only put this success down to several things: the advent of RP games and WOT types, the fact it rains here like 80% of the year so maybe a lot of people stay inside, a huge Asian population which means anime, cosplay, RP, Bandai, Gundam, etc. There is also a current trend of "geek chic" where nerds are now cool. We have a cat cafe and not one but two large bars that are "board game bars" where you can drink, eat, be merry and play whatever board game- theirs or bring your own. one LHS runs an RC club/ mechanic shop. Another has a comic club, D&D club, RP club, etc. The LHS closest to me offers deep discounts on stale items, a discount card and a free pre-ordering/ layaway scheme. In short, other hobby arenas are helping traditional model stores - or sections - survive. At least here in Vancouver. I like shopping in person and my work week is long - over twice what is considered a normal work week. I like to touch, feel, browse, hum and haw, talk to people, and generally carouse around the shop until I see what I want. When everything is in one place I tend to discover things I wouldn't find online unless specifically searching for it, such as accessories, new (or old!) kits, decals, plastic stock, etc. I tend to wait for new releases to go down in price so the whole "saving money" debate is a non-issue for me. There are PLENTY of kits in the $30-55 level that are nice. Add the 10% customer discount and I am laughing. On my rare day off, I can spend hours at the store and I always seem to find some new nook or cranny that has dozens of Alpine figures or some weird Evergreen item I have not seen before! There is an old magazine/book table which doubles as a free library if you don't want to buy them. It's also a bit nostalgic, obviously. There is also that rush that comes with the discovery of a really good deal. A recent one that comes to mind is I found their old Tristar section where everything was priced at fire sale prices. I must have picked up about ten Tristar kits and figures/accessories!
j76ljr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 150 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 12:54 AM UTC
F Y I April 2 In Wayne NJ Wayne PAL there a mosquito con Lots of vendors , model kits ,supplies, and books Last show was so-so, but usually a good place to buy at great prices .
 _GOTOTOP