Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
The story behind your screen name
stressor
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:17 PM UTC
Stressor- giver of stress. My mother once had a consultation with our family doctor and the diagnosis was stress related illness, when the doc ask my mom the possible cause of stress she said it was me. Thus I am stressor
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hi--For anybody familiar with the history of the Ohio frontier back in the 1700s the name sgirty should ring a bell. It stands for Simon Girty, the famous or maybe infamous 'white renegade' who lived during this time.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the term 'white renegade', it signifies those whites who sided with the American Indian peoples and who fought against their own race during the American Revolution and later times.

Girty and his brothers were taken captive at a young age during the French and Indian war and were adopted by various tribes in this general area and did not get to go back to the white man's 'civilization' till after hostilities were over.

Once returned to their own people they found, as did most white captives who had lived with the Indians, not to be totally accpeted by their own kind. They were looked upon as being 'dirty', 'unkept', and somewhat 'savage', in both body and spirit. And, quite understandably, many of them, both man and female, ran away and back to their adopted people first chance they had to do so.

And the Girtys were basically no excpetion. They tolerated the white man's ways for as long as they could and when hostilities began that started the American Revolution, for various reasons, they returned to the Indian peoples and fought with them and the British against the Americans. And being such, and on the 'wrong' side to boot, they were blamed for every murder, pillage and hostile act committed against the white settlers (squatters), on the frontier from the American Revolution clear up to after the War of 1812.

Well, as you can imagine, these people were not looked upon then, or now, with any great joy and enthusiasm by the American peoples and to say they got kind of
'short changed' by the history books would be kind of an understatement. As we all know that general history is written by the winners of the various wars and conflicts down through time, after they've covered up and re-written a few 'small' details that would make them look more like the good guys in the white hats, this should come as no surprise to anyone who studies history to any great length.

And after having read quite a bit concerning the relationshps between the white man and the Indians all down through time, I think these people got sort of 'short changed' as well.
And since I've pretty much adopted quite a few of the Indian beliefs and relgious outlooks (yes, I'm a pagan witch I guess) on things, what better user-name to come up with that shows my feelings. And I use this name on this and any other site I happen to be on in order to do honor to this man and his adopted peoples' beliefs.

Take care, sgirty
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 607 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:10 AM UTC
I just want to thank everyone for answering this post - it is almost 3 months old and still going strong!!! i had no idea this post would get this many views 1000 so far - thanks again !
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 07:09 AM UTC
well, mine's simple. Vlady from my name, Vlad
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 08:00 AM UTC
To anyone who served on the Border during the Cold War, you know how it marks you. I was a platoon leader in H Company, 2/2 ACR in Bamberg, served 2 tours as Border Cam OIC and did 2 full gunneries. OK, that is not a career, but as many soldiers will tell you, it was the time I felt most alive and needed in my life. So, 2-2dragoon is my handle, in memory of those who have serve and still serve in the 2nd Dragoons for nearly 170 years.

Always Ready, 2nd To None
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 11:07 AM UTC
"Mine comes from playing computer games. I basically chose one that everyone thought was so gross, they wouldn' t ever use it!

I'm an Avid editor, and when people see my user name, one look at their expressions tells me Porky is a fine name to stick with!! :-) "

Wow! Reading the above is like going through an old diary! Ahhh the innocence of youth... not long after I wrote all that, this propeller-head realised:

a. That "pig" references were the reserve of the armour builders, and...
b. That Porkchop's nickname was "Porky"...

What to do? Luckily, Jim allowed me to change my ident to something both "British" and the name of the best aircraft engine ever... Merlin.

All the best

Rowan
mrstoad13
Visit this Community
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:56 PM UTC
To those of you I have talked to in chat, the name is pretty self-explanatory. My husband Carlton (turrettoad13) created this name for me so I could chat with him and others that I have gotten to know over the past few weeks. Hope to get to know more of you and also learn more about modeling so that I may understand just what my husband is talking about when he explains his latest project to me. Stephanie
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 03:24 PM UTC
i am a retired E-6 but i am a civil war reenactor, been one for 15 years my rank is first sgt.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 06:26 PM UTC
When in college on an exchange program, I was given the nickname "Cheesehead". As the college was located in eastern Pennsylvania the first football (as in American Football) game I saw was one with the Eagles in it, and I have been an Eagles-fan ever since. When back in the Netherlands I wanted to sign up on a number of messageboards I needed to look for a new nick, as cheesehead refers to those aliens rooting for a small team somewhere in the middle of noweher of Wisconsin.
So I chose:

Dutch = nationality + Eagles = bird ----> DutchBird

Only to find out that I am probably the only male using this nick Thgs is the nick I use most, though the other I use is Michiel de Ruyter, after arguably the greatest naval commander ever.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 11:06 PM UTC
Shonen Red has been my name since I log in the computer. Actually, it was from an Anime series (Sakura Wars/ Sakura Taisen) and was my fav. character. Eventually, the word "Shonen" means boy, and "Red" is the initials of my name. Coincidence? I think so.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 12:38 AM UTC
mines is from my middle name michael(mike) and li125 is taken from the make and model
of the lambretta motorscooter that I own
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 09:07 PM UTC
The Jeepney is the most common form of mass transportation in the Philippines. It's a Frankenstein-like collection of parts from cars and World War II jeeps.

I wanted a screen name that was uniquely Filipino and yet be somewhat connected to the military, hence "Jeepney"
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 03:42 AM UTC
Sphyrna- genus hammerhead shark
By trade I'm a marine biologist (the kind the studies fish, not Jarheads!! ) .
I love the elegant shape of the hammerhead shark- the genus for hammerheads is Sphyrna , so I choose that for many callsigns, emails etc.

Peter

MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 02:00 PM UTC
MadMax was my favourite Filom since i can think, also writing an MM-Like book atm
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 06:45 AM UTC
Mine s my attitude to life and also a sign of respect for a certain company, it got changed to Easy_co by Jim when I had login problems but i can live with that :-)
sweatydogz
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 114 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:15 PM UTC
Hiya,
Sorry to let everyone down, but mine means nothing, just made it up. It makes me laugh :-) :-) :-) :-)
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 324 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
hi , mine is out of respect for my late father who was one of very few in the royal navy to have the letters ss on his papers in this case it stands for special service , he was one of the first in 1940 to pass the royal navy commando course and part of his 12 year service was with sas and them sbs in italy and up the eastern side raiding with lord jellico , his nick name was sandy due to his beard , mine is or was sandy coloured so thats how i ended up with it , he was mentioned in dispatches again not many have that on their papers in the royal navy chhers ian
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
entire network: 607 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 10:27 AM UTC
I just wanted to get this topic back to the top so that our newer members may have a chance to see it and respond. Thanks again to those who have already reponded!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mine comes from playing computer games. I basically chose one that everyone thought was so gross, they wouldn' tever use it!

I'm an Avid editor, and when people see my user name, one look at their expressions tells me Porky is a fine name to stick with!! :-)

All the best

Rowan

LOL...but Rowan! You didn't stick to it. hehe

Jim
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 11:45 AM UTC
My name came about because of an incident with a chocolate cake and the Batt. Staff in 1967. Lets just say that you should not use the Exlax in place for real chocolate. It tends to get a little messy if you know what I mean. Any ways after they removed a stripe from my sleeve the Col called me an Animal and told my Supervisors to loose me as far away from the base camp that they could. It has stuck ever since. #:-)
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:24 PM UTC
To be honest...I dont have a clue how it popped into my little head! #:-)
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hmmm I just wasn't thinking when I had to register and didn't make up one real nice callsign, but just used my own name...(Jurgen Coppen)
Truth about my name (it's german, dunno why #:-) ) is that nobody knows how to pronounce it so thay just call me HEY
hehehe
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My name came about because of an incident with a chocolate cake and the Batt. Staff in 1967. Lets just say that you should not use the Exlax in place for real chocolate. It tends to get a little messy if you know what I mean. Any ways after they removed a stripe from my sleeve the Col called me an Animal and told my Supervisors to loose me as far away from the base camp that they could. It has stuck ever since. #:-)

Animal,
This sounds like a great stroy please do tell the full one if you can spare the time!
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:48 AM UTC
Army Aviation Mechanics are sometimes refered to as Rotorheads, and 67 is my OCF identifier. ie: Utility Helicopter Mech. UH-1 hence I am what I am. What R U ?
danmo
Visit this Community
Ecuador
entire network: 92 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:45 AM UTC
Mine is very easy: DANiel firstname MOncayo lastname.

Regards