Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
The story behind your screen name
ArtistaSLO
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:36 PM UTC
Along time ago, my friend gave me one of those desk nameplate/plaque thingies (he gave them to all "the guys" for Christmas) Each one specific to our "gift" and the word "Aventurer" -mine was:
Glenn Norberg
Artista - Adventurer

I kept that thing and it has moved with me and my familty 6 times. The adventurer part makes me think good thoughts..always looking for something new. I also live near San Luis Obispo, CA hence SLO. Now every nick on the 'net is ArtistaSLO. Btw, visit my site: http://www.norbergdesigns.com
Davinator
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 107 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:34 AM UTC
I've apparently too many Arnold Schwarzeneggar films... And my first name is Dave... So... Davinator...
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 11:12 PM UTC
My nick i picked up in a book about WW1 armour. One of these behemoths was called Golikell. I had to read the word 4 times or so before I figured out that it ment Go Like Hell (with these slow machines it would have been more appropriate to call if Gotoell). After finally figuring it out, I thought it was a nice contraction, and when ARMORama came 'round..... the rest is history!!!
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
I got mine from being the first guy at a scooter run to have Desert Camo gear on at the end of the Gul War in '91. The guys in the club called me "Stormin" after the rather famous General "Stormin'" Norman Schwarzkopf. There's always the fact that since I was a kid I've been army daft and very keen on military history from WWII on.
Kenny.

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 09:37 PM UTC
Straightedge, now a lot of people have no idea where I got this, first off it isn't a ruler, it isn't a razor, but a few old timers that were in the concrete finishing business now they would know what a straightedge is.
I think they call it a screed now, but it is one of them jobs that looks simple to watch but try to grab hold of an 8' straightedge when you got a lazy grader, or a poor wheel barrel man that don't spread it out evenly. Even the best grader can't keep up with a poor wheel barrel man, so everybody has to work together like teamwork, or everybody has to do twice the work.
Alky
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 33 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:51 AM UTC
Mine was too easy. Especially with the last name of Lush. Got a lotta free beers with that name. Used to work with this guy out at the pen that would call me Alky all the time. Nothing too exciting really.
DMS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 05:09 PM UTC
Hmm. . . only recently checked this forum.

DMS is the acronym for the Lockheed Defense Message System. Yeah, I'm not that original
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2004 - 04:08 AM UTC
Was watching TV when I ran into "Rambo: First Blood"...I thought Rambo's call sign was kinda cool...(but not Rambo....Trying to take down a bunch of soldiers with a bow and arrow was silly...)

Before I knew it, I was signing in to ARMORAMA with that name....

I have other handles in other message boards...I often use "-CC" (my initials..)
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 04:22 PM UTC
I just found this post. Mine is not too original at all. 19K is or at least was the US Army MOS designation for an M1 armor crewman. That is what I was for three years. I was also an 11H for six years in the Guards. It is obvious which I liked better!
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:50 PM UTC
hi all

i got mine from a songs title...Silantra is a warrior hero from the lyrics... a powerfull , conan look alike hero.. hehehe..
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
entire network: 1,217 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 11:56 PM UTC
well, mine is pure, simple Sensei as in Aikido Sensei (which i will become in 5-6 months)

;)

/me bows to you all

cheers!
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 201 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 11:32 AM UTC
I was searching for a unique userid instead of my last name with a number after it for an email address.

I got the Hiram from Hiram Maxim (Maxim Machine Gun)
The "Sedai" is from a series of books I read by Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time Series

It's also a play on words. Hear em' Say Die

jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 01:18 PM UTC
Mine is my SID (Screen ID at work) JEJACK2 (J for Jason, E for my middle name, Jack for Jackson-last name, and 2 for the second person there with the initials jejack) I'm just the second!!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 03:38 PM UTC
mines just a mistake when i joined, it sait callsing (3-14 carecters max) (ex) so i thought we had to pick numbers from 3 to 14, something liek that

Thats all
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:17 PM UTC
i like mechanized stuff!
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:23 PM UTC
Well, here goes. Part 1:
I came into the world Tracy Francis McCraken, a bouncing baby boy rich with his forefathers Irish Blood coursing through his veins!
Upon seeing his nephew, my Uncle Frank( a retired Chicago Steel Worker) took a look at me and said "Another Murphy for the iron!" and for some odd reason, "Murphy" stuck!
Now, having this nickname since a week after being born, one becomes as attached to it as his real name.
Part 2:
A long, long time ago there was a hero and giant by the name of Fionn MacCumhail, an AWESOME Celtic general whose stories and fables conjure the stuff BEFORE Camelot! My favorite Celtic Chieftain...
"Finn McCool"
Part 3: Conclusion (and my Callsign expaination)
For the last 10 years I have worked at the Bristol Rennaisance Faire as a Minor Clan Chieftain from Ireland...Lord Cuhail McMurphy!
Cuhail (pronounced COOL) is now my callsign here too!

but you can call me Murphy (Laborer in Irish)
I could go on...don't tempt me...I will!
And the Beasties will come and get me...the wee ones and the Sidhe! Damn! Bye...
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:33 PM UTC
Ohh, and um...Hirim, child...
Do you walk in the Light?

He he he
Cuhail Al-Murphy
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 08:02 PM UTC
Well mine isnt that complex, i wanted to show my respect for the soldiers who have fought for my country, and the countrys of our allies, and i like the famous poem...

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them
Lest We Forget

So i guess thats where it came from, Cheers

....i guess cheers is a bit of a trademark thing of mine, a while ago while talking to Bob i realised i say it at the end of everypost, the origin of that is quite simple, ummm.....cheers
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:46 AM UTC
Well, since someone reactivated this thread, thought I'd pitch in my .02USD. First, Let me apologize for the whole "Shouting" issue . I do a lot of data entry at work , and my Caps Lock key is on 90% of the time. When I logged into FSM the first time, it was this screenname, and I just got lazy when logging on to the Big A the first time- had my name transferred...
Didn't realize then that I'd be starting an association with the BEST site on the net
Oh, Yeah-my son( light of my life)'s name is Logan, he's an up & coming modeller (only 3 yrs. old & already helps me assemble 'his' models), and I wanted to give him some chops. Now that we're expecting another, I think LOGANANDCONNORSDAD would be a bit overkillish... To that end I sent Staff_Jim a not through the site help function requesting a name change (Jim? You Out There? Jim?) but I imagine site duties are whelming him a bit at the moment. So if ya don't mind, please put up with the shouting just a leetle bit longer...
Oh, yeah, I talk a lot. Sorry for that too.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 03:04 PM UTC
I just love the Sherman tank. I love it for the exact oppoiste reason others love their German tanks. The simplicity.

Being in the manufacturing business studying quality and production issues I think that the mass production of the Sherman is way more impressive than the uniqueness of all the huge types and variants of German armor. Let's face it, it wasn't the killing power of the Sherman that won the war, but the thousands of olive drab, simple mechanical armored boxes on tracks that overwhelmed and defeated the best the Germans could dream up.

To me a long never ending line of OD Shermies is a much more beautiful sight than a few massive wildly camouflaged Tigers.
hirams_girl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:01 AM UTC
Well, my call sign is obvious when you consider I'm Hiram Sedai's fiancee.

And to Cuhail - yes, he *does* walk in the light. The light of my greatness!!!

Sorry...couldn't resist.

On other forums, I try to use Moraine Sedai whenever possible, but it was too long for use here so I simplified.

I've also used DragonMage (I love dragons and I love magic), Breanna (I am quite fond of all things celtic/gaelic) and Lady Alureth (Alureth is the name of a fictional rainbow dragon I created during an online RP game I was part of).
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:51 PM UTC
Cool, Jordan is the shizznit, ain't he!
Ya know of course he went to VMI and did 2 tours in Vietnam.

More Girls in Armorama!

Cuhail
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 03:35 PM UTC
Humm..the story behind my name is simple. My boyfriend and i were playing pool in Yahoo Pool and we wanted a name that "matched" each other..So..he became King_Tanky..and i was Tankysgal....the rest is history..lollol
Thats it...plain and simple...lol
Mary
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 07:54 AM UTC
Well I can certainly say I have completely enjoyed reading this thread, and learning about you folks, and the way you came up with your screen name, so I guess I should let you all know about mine.....

I'm over the 1/2 century mark, so that makes me a rather old man in some quarters, I was laughing and joking around one night, and one of my buddies said.... "Gee, aren't you being a grumpyoldman tonight!" and it stuck.

GunNut
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 61 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC
Mine should be obvious. But if not, a picture is worth a thousand words...

I collect firearms...