Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
The story behind your screen name
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 05:30 PM UTC
Hwa-Rang is the name of the Taekwondo club in which I have been practicing for nearly 22 years.
Hwa-Rang means "Flowering youth" or "Flowering knights" It is the name of an ancient Korean elite force.
About 2000 years ago the Hwa-Rang warriors were taught Literature, dance, court etiquette, science, medicine, music and poetry, and then they were taught to kill in every posible way using weapons or martial arts.
They were probably the worlds first elite soldiers.
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 446 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 10:07 PM UTC
non other the the great railway gun leopold K5
my largest and most expensice model yet
siegmund
Visit this Community
Slovenia
entire network: 87 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 05:46 AM UTC
The german "version" of my name.
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,141 Posts
KitMaker Network: 173 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 07:13 AM UTC
The nickname toadman was bestowed upon me by an old girlfriend 13 years ago. There are two versions of why she nicknamed me toadman. You can use your imagination for the first version. As for the second, I was a small time collector of reptiles and amphibians at the time with several of my favorites being toads.

The name stuck and I became "toadman". The "1" was added because when I went to register on ebay about six years ago, "toadman" was already taken so I became "toadman1".
Gaucho
Visit this Community
Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
entire network: 416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 12:50 AM UTC
Then, it is my time of telling something about my nick. I love these types of posts. This way, we can know our comrades of Armorama.
Well, gaucho is how we called the people that are born here in the south of Brazil. Here, we don't have palm trees, neither rainforest, only soybean and cattle, and cold, sometimes also snows in the highlands. Gaucho is a man who works with the cattle. Isn't my case, I live in a small town, not on the countryside.
The feminine of "Gaucho" is "Prenda", do you know Gisele Bundchen? OMG! She is a "Prenda".
So, to finish, my avatar is a homage to one of the men that had contributed a lot to the development of the aviation. Alberto Santos Dumont.
Verboten
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
entire network: 202 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 12:58 PM UTC
My callsign is Verboten, which means Forbidden in German. My father would tell me things were off-limits by saying, "Nein, das ist verboten." I was not a very obedient child, so i heard the saying quite often. Verboten was just a nickname I was given as a child.
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 06:15 PM UTC
Mine is an actual nickname. My last name is Montecalvo. Usually when people go to pronounce it they trip all over their tongues.
So to make it easier they just call me Monte.
Robster
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 386 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 04:58 AM UTC
Robster here,

My cousin has considered my name,
I don't now how he came on it
it's my name Rob + ster.

Greetz Rob!
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 884 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 03:55 AM UTC
Nato 308, simply, it is the caliber of the rifle I own and love. It is an M21 sniper rifle. For those of you who don't know, it is an accurized M14, Springfield semi-automatic rifle. It saw its day during the Vietnam era. You can still see that it is still being used today, in the more modern version the M24. Why "nato" or not 7.62mm, I thought nato was easier and not as long a name as Winchester.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 05:05 AM UTC
Sticky is short for Stickymess. When I was playing on-line Medal of Honor, I was trying to come up with something original, when my then 3 year old came into the room carring half a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. The other half was not in his tummy, but all over him. I exclamed "OMG! Your a Stickymess!" and the name stuck - literally.

7thCavScout
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 08:31 AM UTC
I served as a Cavalry Scout in the 4th Squadron of the 7th US Cavalry Regiment during Operation Desert Storm. Garryowen, The Seventh First!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 08:47 AM UTC
I've been following this post since it was started, and I must say, there are some very creative minds here at the Big A....Time for my two cents...very simply, my screen name comes from my Dad, who was a career military man until he retired, and some of my most cherished memories from a youngster was his war stories. My most favorites were from the Chosin Resevoir time frame of the Korean War, when he was a Gunnery Sargeant...He still calls me by that name, so there you have it!!

Mark " Gunny " Smith

How about a three beer cheer for our Vet's...
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 06:40 PM UTC
Pretty simple really.

I was a SSgt
I was a Recon Sniper "1 Shot 1 Kill"

Thus SSgt1Shot
BulletTooth
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 08:54 PM UTC
Name was taken from a nefarious footballer named Vinnie Jones' character from the Guy Ritchie film, Snatch.

The character, Bullet-Tooth Tony, was a gangster who took seven rounds and lived, ultimately having each slug molded into teeth and placed in his mouth. He shot an IMI DE .50 and has a cool scene in which he is smashing a lad's head in the doorjam of his Renault He also has a cool scene in which some makeshift thugs try to threaten him with replica Berettas

Took on this name in the Fall of '01 as a Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear screen name and have kept it ever since I even get to use it as my handle in my everyday work life.
Invader
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 03:53 AM UTC
well,invader is a strong word,it causes fear,it draws attention...and of course...it relates to military stuff...i think i have chosen this nick because i am a big fan of the blitzkrig tactic and the word "invader" kind of reminds it...
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 04:03 AM UTC
I go by bowjunkie because I am seriously into bowhunting! A few years ago, I needed to create an Ebay username and I picked bowjunkie. The 35 part was... uh, my age at the time!
After developing a customer base on Ebay and through the prop community, everyone knew me as bowjunkie so it just stuck and now I use it for everything! ( I like continuity)
This is an indicator of my love for the bow. A wild boar taken in 2002 in Oklahoma. Oh yeah, that's me too!

lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 338 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 02:39 AM UTC
LAVGNR is the last position that I held in the infantry, before remustering to mechanic.. 1 PPCLI was tasked with initial production testing of the LAV 3, so in all I spent close to two years in that turret. One of the coolest things that I've done.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:40 AM UTC
Mine's a name I came up with for playing online BF1942. I wanted a name that represented one of the grunts/infantry, I was thinking "Slug" was a cool nickname for the typical infantryman

Bruce
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mine's a name I came up with for playing online BF1942. I wanted a name that represented one of the grunts/infantry, I was thinking "Slug" was a cool nickname for the typical infantryman

Bruce

It was MY NAME in the Marine Corp but you already had it. But that ok I brought SALT.

Dave
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It was MY NAME in the Marine Corp but you already had it. But that ok I brought SALT.

I guess my thinking was right
:-)
sorry to steel your name
Bruce
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I guess my thinking was right
:-)
sorry to steel your name
Bruce

It's ok ... really I don't mind! It's not like I had it first!! Which I did. :-)

LOL I'm kidding ... as long as you hold up the honor in the name there will be no problems! :-)

Semper Fi
Dave :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:09 PM UTC
I refuse to ever disclose my old Navy nickname.....
It will go to the grave with me............
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 07:39 AM UTC
The name Snowhand came purely by accident.

I was playing AD&D and my fighter spilled stomach 'acid' over his right hand. 'acid' because this particular creature had and alkaline digestive system.

While his hand did eventually heal, all pigment in the skin of his hand was forever destroyed.. leaving it white as snow.

Hence: Snowhand
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 04:47 AM UTC
My dearly beloved uses the name Betheyn as her internet name( her names Lena, go figure), and when i joined Amorama i couldn't be bothered to change it. Now i have got a girls name because i'm a lazy ba........ :-) :-)