Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
The story behind your screen name
FD3S20B
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 12:13 PM UTC
fd3s20b is mazda 3rd gen rx-7 with a 20b three rotor twin turbo.
staybolt
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 06:37 AM UTC
Used to do a lot of work on steam locomotives as well as firing and running them. Seems I was always inside a firebox bucking staybolts and getting my clock rung.

Pat.
2543jules
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 08:37 PM UTC
2543 is my student ID #
and Jules is my fist name.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:43 PM UTC
Back a few years ago now I started up a business venture cause I got tired of having someone else tell me what to do. Taking what I had learned at the school of hard knocks I started up " A Handy Kinda Guy Handyman Services"

I was sorta inspired by Red Green. You know: " if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"

Been using it as my email and web based name since.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,465 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 03:10 PM UTC
BBD468 - BigBikerDude - my birtdate april 1968

one of my ex girlfriends friends never said my name the just called me Big Biker Dude and it stuck! i guess because im 6'3" and coverded in tattoos but i havent been able to ride in several years now. oh well!
Canadiandiesel
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 01:49 AM UTC
Canadian diesel, love building modified diesels, usually one a month, and mine gets put on the back burner,
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 984 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 02:48 AM UTC
First 5 letters of my last name.
I been called Petro for over 20 years.
The only time i hate it is when my old lady calls me it.
She makes it sound like an insult!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 04:03 AM UTC
First David Bowie's group was called "the Spiders from Mars"

...so don't ask me if I was a great fan of them
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 04:20 PM UTC
Rotorhead67
My enlistment in the Army 8/82 was as an Helicopter Aircraft
Mechanic MOS 67N. Now 15M.
Hence helicopter nut, 67 series
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 472 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 - 06:17 PM UTC
Simple, I like soviet related stuff, especially armor. I played airsoft (grown ups shooting at each other with bb guns and looking cool in tac gear) on a Russian themed team, so I'm used to being called Comrade.

M and P are my initials.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hmmmm...I don't recall if I already posted for this thread, and I have spent about an hour reading through. So at the risk of duplication, JPTRR is my freelance model railroad: Jackson Purchase & Texas RR.

It began 30+ years ago as my freelance model RR. It has grown from a 'no'-nothing flight of fancy into a highly detailed archived model empire. Maybe someday it will be a highly detailed model layout!
corvettemike
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 11:47 AM UTC
Corvette = THE GREATEST CAR EVER

Mike = My first name

Working at a hobby shop some years back I pretty much bought Corvette models exclusively, and if one of my co workers said something like I saw a gray 70's one with a yellow interior" I'd be the one to shoot back "1972, steel cities gray saddle interior, etc.." off the top of my head so it bacame if anyone had a Vette question "let's ask corvettemike" and the rest was history.

-Mike
AngryEchoSix
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 04:48 PM UTC
Hrm....let's see if I can explain this one without scaring anyone off....

Angry - Comes from the PTSD that has somehow managed to weasel its way inside of my head after 4 combat tours in the Middle East.

EchoSix - Comes from the Phoenetic Alphabet used in military communications (which is what MOS field I am in, in the USMC) for my rank, E-6 (Staff Sergeant).
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 01:35 PM UTC
Spacewolfdad, this came about as I used to take my son to Games Workshop several days a week to meet up with other kids. We did this as he was home educated and the inspector was very insistent on 'interaction' with kids of his own age, he certainly got that at our local shop. I began to get involved, helping the others with painting and modelling as well as playing the game, with my love for Viking history and lore I decided to collect Space Wolves, I found out that the kids were referring to me, in a nice way, as 'Spacewolfdad' amongst themselves and I liked the soubriquet so much I adopted it for my eMail address. It does cause raised eyebrows when I am asked for my eMail address by banks, insurers etc.

All the best,

Paul
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 12:29 AM UTC
When I got promoted to the rank of lieutenant in the NYPD I was assigned to the 73rd Pct in Brownsville, Brooklyn. Which is written as 073 on all forms and paperwork. Most of the cops there couldn't pronounce my last name Bertocci so they just started calling me Lieutenant B.
I shortened Lieutenant to LT my initial and Pct.

LTB073
Removed by original poster on 12/17/12 - 20:27:07 (GMT).
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I got promoted to the rank of lieutenant in the NYPD I was assigned to the 73rd Pct in Brownsville, Brooklyn. Which is written as 073 on all forms and paperwork. Most of the cops there couldn't pronounce my last name Bertocci so they just started calling me Lieutenant B.

LTB073

Hey! Ex-LI'er here. Let's see- is the 'occi' in your last name is pronounced like the "occe" in bocce ball so it would sound like Bert-totch-E (long E as 'e' in eel)?

Just curious to see if the NY has stuck after all these years.

BTW- interesting beat you had in NYC. At least as I remember that area...
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

LTB073

Hey! Ex-LI'er here. Let's see- is the 'occi' in your last name is pronounced like the "occe" in bocce ball so it would sound like Bert-totch-E (long E as 'e' in eel)?

Hey Jim,
You hit the nail on the head, thats exactly the way it is pronounced. what part of LI are you from Im in Wantagh, Nassau County south shore. Some parts around here really took a bad hit from Sandy.
Brownsville is the toughest neighborhood in NYC always will be but I loved working there. Cops were great and my bosses were outstanding. Then I went back to the Narcotics Division and they put me back in Brownsville, it was like I never left
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 11:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

LTB073

Hey Jim,
You hit the nail on the head, thats exactly the way it is pronounced. what part of LI are you from Im in Wantagh, Nassau County south shore. Some parts around here really took a bad hit from Sandy.
Brownsville is the toughest neighborhood in NYC always will be but I loved working there. Cops were great and my bosses were outstanding. Then I went back to the Narcotics Division and they put me back in Brownsville, it was like I never left

I grew up in Bridgehampton and spent my teen years in Riverhead. I kinda saw the writing on the wall for the East End in terms of the rich people turning it from a summer community to a year round residence. It was already insanely expensive to live there and even worse trying to find a year-round residence. I went in the Army in 73 and didn't make it back out there until 2001 for my dad's illness early in the year and again for his passing later that Fall. In fact I flew back out of CI on 9/10.

I miss the NY culture, both high and low brow and I miss the ocean and the Sound and even Peconic Bay. But, after seeing it all again back in 2001 I really got the 'you can never go home again' thing. I still have family in Quogue, Manorville, Mattituck, and Flanders. One sister is in Australia and another brother in Virginia Beach with the Navy. And then there's me in southern Indiana....
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 09:01 AM UTC
well, my real name is Matthijs (comes from Matthew, the guy from the Bible), but unless you're Dutch you cannot pronounce it correctly, especially the "ij". I have met people from many different countries and they all make my name sound very funny, although Italians come close. That is why i always say: just call me Mat
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 1,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 76 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 11:16 PM UTC
Just found this and i like it alot ,,always wondered where you guys got your nicks and now i know ..was happy to finally find out yours Sal
Mine is pretty easy really ,, was trying to think of a nick and the model i was building at the time was a DUKW and war is pretty much the only subject i build ..well war ie military anyways ,,,NZ ..the country i live ..simple huh ?

Phill.
PetrolGator
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 07:50 AM UTC
Petrol = I'm a petroleum engineer.

Gator = University of Florida graduate.

Fairly simple.
lawman56
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 12:47 PM UTC
I was a Military Policeman in the Army and my first jeep was numbered 108-56. 6 years later, as an MP accident investigator, my call sign was "56". After the Army, I drove a truck and my CB handle was "Lawman". So Lawman56 seemed a logical choice.

I use it for all the forums I'm registered with.
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,028 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 05:56 AM UTC
Nothing heroic or romantic here. I just live near, fish in, and hunt beside the McLeod River in Alberta.
meowmonster
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 27 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
I keep an insane cat. She's fat, incredibly smart, and well convinced she's adorable. Bout it.