Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
The story behind your screen name
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 345 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 10:03 AM UTC
mine is simple. I do archaeology for a living. When I first joined this site some years back I spent 90% of my time doing work in the field. If I could change it to keep up with the times it should be more like BornToDoLabAnalysisTeachUndergraduatesWriteSiteReportsApplyForGrantsComeHomeTiredAt8PM

I miss the simpler days when I was just a field-tech
james_mcdougall_85
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:35 PM UTC
My name is a bit of a private joke from the Shetland Islands. Ronas hill is the name of the biggest hill in Shetland and the my callsign comes from that. I've used it with pride on the internet for many things. Its just a bit nuts really :-)

Jamie
glatton
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hi there,

I chose my name "Glatton" because it is the name of one of my two favourite nineteenth century British battleships, and the one that I'm least likely to see in resin. The other one is Inflexible.

Glatton was the acme of uselessness. Probably designed with the intention of assaulting French harbours, it had so little freeboard it was hardly seaworthy outside its own harbour, and had far too deep a draught to be a coast defence ship. It was only allowed out to play in totally calm weather. Its superstructure was so narrow as to, supposedly, allow the single turret to fire directly astern with one barrel on either side!!!

All in all, a sad little ship, and a wonderful load of c**p.

Kind regards,

David Griffith
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 11:43 PM UTC
Armorama and StarshipModeler are the only two DGs I go by a screen-name.

I kitbash kits to make sci-fi weapons and then think of a unique name for them to "differentiate" them from other kitbashes. My screen-names are after my hovertanks.

For Armorama, I'm "Trisaw" because my Merkava hovertank has three weapons: a double-gatling gun on the port side, a rail gun on the starboard side, and the main gun in the center...TRI Super Assault Weapons= Trisaw.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/cenebar/?action=view¤t=po_tri.jpg

For StarshipModeler, I'm "Cenebar." "-cene" means "recent" (in the big dictionary) and "bar" means "obstacle," or "Recent obstacle" just like the hovertank I designed with tree electrocutters at the front forks. The enemy always thinks of the tank as a "recent obstacle" because it dashes to the rescue/support of ground Spacemarines and can pop up anywhere, forcing the enemy to "deal with it"

My Mikey avatar...no guesswork there...I yap a lot! :-)

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/cenebar/?action=view¤t=po_HTcutters.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Some of the photos in my Photobucket are actual box art photos, not models painted by me. I put them there for the Discussion Group admins to pluck for my review postings.

Yes, I know the USMC doesn't use the Merkava or the Leopard 2A5, but hey, I got to make things with what I have and what can I do when I had so few spare parts at the time?

"Hovetank #3" is in the works...
airraid
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 03:40 PM UTC
Hi guys

Mine comes from the fact that my surname Worden is usually mispronounced as Warden.As my interests are WW11 aircraft someone at work called me airraid. Put them together and what have you got.

Den
blackbug67
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 80 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 06:35 PM UTC
blackbug67
My other hobby is building a 1:1 scale black 1967 Volkswagen with 140 hp, 800 watts, 20 mpg, a lot of my sweat, some of my blood and all of my money. That and all the other names were taken.
VonDodenburg
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 128 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi,

Von Dodenburg was a character in Leo Kessler's novels about Wotan, an SS unit. I liked his ingenuity, dedication and loyalty; even though the cause was corrupt.

Charles
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 340 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:49 PM UTC
Slynch1701 S for Sean, lynch my last name and 1701 because when I signed up for e-mail long ago there already several slynch's out there. I am a big star trek fan and not want to be slynch10 or 15, I put in the nubmers for my favorite ship.

Sean
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 05:40 PM UTC
Bigskip

Big cos i may be a couple of pounds over my optimum fighting weight, skip for the traditional nickname for the leader of a Scout troop. Always use this as my user name on line - sometimes suffixed with 66 - year England won the world cup - and i was 8 weeks old so i saw it happen!!
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
entire network: 1,380 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 07:42 PM UTC
Why ? Because I like it, no special purpose for this name.
I use it for English forum, website etc..

Best,
Julien
rommel93
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 169 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 09:00 AM UTC
Mine is simple rommel after Erwin rommel and 93 after 1993 the year I was born
Herkledeeks
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 89 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:31 PM UTC
My name comes after my dog's name, "Hercules". He's a 5 year old Great Dane and weighs about 150 lbs. Anyway, when I first got him as a pup my nephew was about 4 yrs old. He couldn't pronounce the name, Hercules, so what came out was ,"Herkledeeks"! From then on I started using that as my screen name.

Thanks for Listening,
Aaron C.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:20 AM UTC
I picked mine up when I was in the police force. One of the lads picked up my middle name was Erich when I was writing a statement which they took the p**s out of having two German names. After a particularly successful shift where I'd managed to get a prisoner from a stop check for nothing in particular and was doing the paperwork afterwards I was compared to the Red Baron (I don't think they realised his name was Manfred Von :-) ) in that the first thing anyone knew was when I appeared in their rear view mirror and went in for the kill. It stuck after that with the shift and everyone at the nick. Even my Inspector called me Erich Von. In custody when I brought prisoners in they would call me "The Baron" which confused people from other stations. Even after leaving the force people still used it so it was a logical name to use.
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 3,829 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 03:03 PM UTC
well, guess i have to join this

My nickname is really D-Fens but in order not to get confused with paswords all around on different site, I chose jointhepit
as in
Jointhepit.com

one of my favorite sites of wich the admin is my closest friend,and on witch I can keep up to date on my music scene.

greetz Peter
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 516 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 04:18 PM UTC
I used to play Call of Duty on line a lot (I don't have time to play it at all now), and needed a handle for that. I wasn't very good and felt like everything was going on around me all the time. So I felt like Billy Pilgrim from Slaughterhouse 5... Voila! Pilgrim.

I'm growing tired of it now, so I might have to ask Jim to let me change it... I don;t know what to though

Sean
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 11:20 PM UTC
My real name is Jeff, my brother used to call me Jethro, as in Jethro Bodeen from the Beverly Hillbillies TV show, and then just Bodeen.
It stuck!
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 08:17 AM UTC
Well Like many other members I am a tanker ,though retired now I still consider myself a tanker, and I was a tank platoon sergeant hence tankSGT. I use tankcommander on a lot of other boards but it was taken here.

Tom
carleton
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 62 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 09:53 AM UTC
Hi Guys/gals
My grandfather fought in WWII in the carleton york reg.He was one of the reasons that I took quite a keen interst in history and the next logical step was modeling.It is very interesting to see why people choose the names that they do.Take care and happy days ahead to all,shawn.
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 07:16 AM UTC
I usually try to use phantom as a screen name because I really like the F-4 phantom aircraft, but most of the time the name is already taken so I end up having the screen name with a bunch of numbers behind it like phantom9956688544......... or something like that and it tends to be very difficult trying to remember all of the added numbers or other times I just can't think of any screen names I would like to use so I use wonktnodi which is "I don't know" backwards. It has a nice ring to it and its original. :-)
wastegas
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 03:28 AM UTC
I drive a V8 and it wastes a lot of gas
no-neck
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 87 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 03:22 PM UTC
The inmates at a prison I worked at gave it on me in one of their never-ending games. When I joined the site it asked for a call-sign. So, walla. Maybe I could work in knucle-dragging somewhere.
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 68 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 03:27 AM UTC
Mine I've had since junior high football, standing then at 6'2 and 250 pound lineman and a temper to match and it stuck to this day( 6'7 and 312, and still with temper to match)
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
entire network: 674 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 06:31 PM UTC
Unfortunately all the better nicknames were occupied and I could not make up anything
Steelheader
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 46 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 05:42 AM UTC
A steelhead is an anadromous fish that lives in Lake Michigan (as well as the other Great lakes) and enters the various rivers in the fall to spawn in the spring. Steelhead also live in the Pacific Ocean and run in the many coastal rivers. I believe the Michigan steelhead originate from a California strain (thanks California). I caught my first steelhead in October of 1966, a month before our first daughter was born. I can never forget that milestone in my life ( I also remember my daughter's birthday, too!!). This first fish weighed no more than 6 lbs, but I was hooked (no pun intended). My right arm muscles burned from the battle, and my heart was throbbing. Since that day I have made it my quest to fish for steelhead when ever I can (from October to about May). The fish was elusive, but I was persistant.

It was not until I retired that I could dedicate more time to fishing, and I was able to hook and land many more steelhead. Many of them were anywhere from 10 to 14 lounds, and all muscle. These fish will vary in color from bright chromers, to pink-tinged, to those big males with bright red flanks. All fish are released to fight again. When hooked a steelhead will almost immediately run, jump or break your line. Talk about a rush.

For the modelers who do not fish, imagine this: A manufacturer issues a model of the aircraft, armour, automobile or figure that you have been waiting for, and it is the exact variant you have been waiting for, and the cost is affordable!! That feeling, that excitement and that rush are exactly what is felt when a steelhead takes your fly.

Therefore I am Steelheader.
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
Heh, though I primarily build and collect armour my honours history degree leads me to read many military history books.

When I signed on to this site I was reading a biography of Canadian Billy Bishop (the top British Empire Air Ace of World War One (72 kills) and winner of the Victoria Cross).

So when I chose Billy Bishop as my nickname it was to honour him. Here is more info on the man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Bishop

Happy Holidays, Michael