Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
The story behind your screen name
Citadelh02
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:30 PM UTC
Citadel: The Grand Ole Military College of the South.
H: Hotel Company, the company I was in for 4 years.
02: The year I graduated.
ausboarder
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:18 AM UTC
hahahahahaha mine is really gay,
ausboarder.... i couldnt think of anything to write so i thought of some of my other hobbies...
at the time i really liked bodyboarding, thats the boarder...
the "aus" is pretty simple..australia.

cheers,
smithy
SIRNEIL
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 658 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 06:44 AM UTC

mines sirneil
when i was working for a company as a sheet metal worker we all had our names on our lockers were we kept our personel items and some one wrote in black marker 'sir' in front of my first name and so was born..............
SIRNEIL.
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 3,829 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 06:45 AM UTC
In honour of my Brother Mike (R.I.P.)
He founded the (now gonne ) site Join The Pit.com
It was like this site but for Metalheads

Greetz Tha Pit
nitrocomplex
Visit this Community
APO, United States
entire network: 349 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:06 AM UTC

And Nitrocomplex= because i was into r/c nitro trucks

Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:00 AM UTC
i was trying to come up with a user name for the on line Battlefield 2 PC game. after getting rejection after rejection with the name i wanted already in use i spent a couple days just making noises, combining them with sounds, and converting them to weird words. (it was a game i played as a kid) i came up with bratushka and later found it was a Russian term for "one who gets you what you need" in black marketeering terms. i believe it had its origins during WWII

my most commonly used screen name is jimmyzen but i started using bratushka more. my life-long biker guy name was animal tho at my age and now placid demeanor it doesn't really fit any more.
lonscotman
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:01 AM UTC

Mines related to the London Scottish Regiment of which i am a former member quite a few years ago.
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
Mine comes from another hobby of mine. American Civil war reenactments.
( SOSKAN) . Over here it rains alot & we always seem to be camping in muddy fields.
so put the 2 together .

They really have american civil war reenactments in England???
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 08:20 PM UTC
Hi Vance
Yeh we realy do.
No where as large as what you guy's do in the states , but theres a good following over here. We have 2 main societies. ACWS ( mostly do events up the northern part of England) & SOSKAN which is what I'm part of.
Most events are carried out duting the summer months with a range of public shows & more private events.
Some of the guy's from my society were over in the States last month taking part in the Gettysburg Reenactment.
My next event is a large multi period event at Detling in kent over the august bank holiday usually a very good event.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:47 AM UTC
dunno if i posted lespaul is my guitar and james is my name!

LEspauljames
on ww2modelmaker.com it was kubelmanjam, cus i love the kubelwagen, im a man and i have jam in my name
Desmoquattro
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 02:47 PM UTC
I'm president of the Montreal Ducati Owner's Club and ride a 1997 Ducati 916. The v-twin engine in the 916 is called the "desmoquattro", meaning four-valve per cylinder with desmodromic valve action (where there are no valve springs, instead there are two rocker arms per valve and an extra cam lobe that closes the valve mechanically). The desmoquattro is a classic engine design, based loosely on the Cosworth DFV, and dates back to the 80s - it remains one of my favourite motorcycle engines of all time, with a very rev-happy character despite being a twin cylinder. I've often used the name in motorcycle forums and it's just kind of stuck with me.
jagd654
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 296 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 05:00 AM UTC
I got my screen name from combining Schwere Panzer Abteilung 654 ( the Elefant/Jagdpanther heavy tank hunter unit) with Jagdpanzer (or tank hunter) . Cheers !
Kenneth .
uscusn
Visit this Community
entire network: 86 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 06:24 PM UTC
My screen name I have used for well over 15 years.
USC-University of Southern California, my alma mater
USN-United States Navy-my service hence uscusn

Chuck
Fly Navy
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 01:25 AM UTC
well newfish means new kid on the block
i found it in a warhammer book i read and plus me being new to the site
i thought that would do being new to the site

jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 1,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC
can't remember if I answer that one already/ JBA is for my name, Jean-Bernard André.
"Jean-Bernard" is the forename in full (that's not like George-Walker you see).
It's dreadful, it says to any French "this guy is between 35 and 45". it is basically like Billy-Bob or maybe Derek
Anyway, I use this jba, no mystery, no nothing, because all the mysteries and secrets are in my dioramas
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,274 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 07:27 AM UTC
Mine is just a crude anglicization of my Germanic-sounding name (though I'm mostly of Irish ancestry).
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm president of the Montreal Ducati Owner's Club and ride a 1997 Ducati 916. The v-twin engine in the 916 is called the "desmoquattro", meaning four-valve per cylinder with desmodromic valve action (where there are no valve springs, instead there are two rocker arms per valve and an extra cam lobe that closes the valve mechanically). The desmoquattro is a classic engine design, based loosely on the Cosworth DFV, and dates back to the 80s - it remains one of my favourite motorcycle engines of all time, with a very rev-happy character despite being a twin cylinder. I've often used the name in motorcycle forums and it's just kind of stuck with me.

i was at a party some time ago and was talking to a 916 owner and asking about the difficulty of adjusting a desmondromic valve train. "Oh," he assured me, "I have a special tool that makes doing it a piece of cake!" He took out his wallet and showed me the special tool: his American Express card! if i ever owned anything other than a Harley or a Triumph it would be a Ducati!!!!!
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Read your Pratchett. Detritus is big and slow, and not nearly as dumb as he seems!

Detritus was also the name of the main character, a rascally robot, in American McGee's PC game called American McGee Presents: Scrapland.
mistermagoo
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 32 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 07:47 PM UTC
My call sign dos'nt have any real meaning" as I could not have my call sign that I use other sites chippy , " it was already taken by someone.
It was my wife who came up with the name as I'm always asking , have you seen my car keys , have you seen my mobile , wallet , cheque book, etc. etc. ,
mistermagoo
Desmoquattro
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 04:34 AM UTC
I know, it is staggering how much Ducati service can cost. Some (less than stellar) dealers charge anywhere between 1500-2000$ for routine service. There is a lot of flaws that need addressing too (valve guides often go before 20 000 kms) that end up costing a lot of money. I do all my own work - it is straightforward, but you need to learn the processes, a lot of the mechanicals are "different" (and the electrics are buggy on a good day, non-functional on a bad day).

I worked as a Triumph mechanic for a while. I was never a big fan. I found them boring, same as most Japanese stuff (reliable, easy to ride, fast, but just lacking in the quirks that endear you to a bike). But I'm spoiled by my 916, it's a special machine that transmits chassis feedback to the rider like nothing else. It is NOT easy to ride - it's totally unrefined and brutal, and you need to learn how to ride it properly (you follow its rules, not the other way round). I love the thing. I've had it for two years and I can't see myself getting rid of it, if anything I'll buy a second bike and keep it. They aren't for everyone, but I adore them.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

i was at a party some time ago and was talking to a 916 owner and asking about the difficulty of adjusting a desmondromic valve train. "Oh," he assured me, "I have a special tool that makes doing it a piece of cake!" He took out his wallet and showed me the special tool: his American Express card! if i ever owned anything other than a Harley or a Triumph it would be a Ducati!!!!!

pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I worked as a Triumph mechanic for a while. I was never a big fan. I found them boring, same as most Japanese stuff (reliable, easy to ride, fast, but just lacking in the quirks that endear you to a bike).

Ah yes, quirks. I had a Rover V8 that was full of the little buggers. Didn't stop me loving the old thing to bits, but I summarised it thus:

Won't start in cold weather because the battery's flat.
Won't start in hot weather because of fuel vaporisation.
Won't start in wet weather because of condensation in the distributor.
And won't start in ideal weather conditions, just to be consistent.
Desmoquattro
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 03:50 AM UTC
I should note that I worked on old Triumphs, Nortons and BSAs as well. I wasn't so endeared to them. I thought they were crocks of junk, actually. I still get chills when I hear the word "Lucas". We had bikes catch fire in the shop without warning, I would usually get a solid shock from the ignition system at least once a month, and deciphering the wiring harnesses was utterly maddening. And often things didn't work properly AFTER I fixed them because we used Genuine Lucas Replacement Parts to be period-correct. At least I know my Ducati runs and works well most of the time, with the odd hiccup, whereas an old British bike is perpetually in limbo and never more than 10 000 miles away from a full engine rebuild.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 05:04 AM UTC
You know you're old school Brit bike knowledgeable when you know the Prince of Darkness is Lucas of Lucas electrics! You also know Zener diodes are not your friend! My first bike was a sixty-something 250 (i think) Ducati one lunger followed by a 67? 250 Suzuki Hustler (again, many years ago. it was sold as a dual purpose bike) Next came a 67 Beezer (Thunderbolt? single carb) chopper and then a 70 Beezer 650 I chopped. Thencame a 1942 Harley WLA, a 1937 UL, a 1966 GA trike, another trike- a 71 45, then my beloved 1956 PanHead, a 1967 Shovel, a 1994 Heritage, a 1959 PanHead I sold a few years back, and a 1949 stroker PanHead chopper. I still have the 94 and the 49. I also have a 1972 Honda 350 4 cylinder that was going to be a restoration but is going to be eBay bound as soon as i get some photos taken of it. There's also a 1969 vintage Shovelhead chopper that I was building for this girl whom I haven't seen in over 10 years now. I can't find her and she's never come around asking for her bike.

Wow- we're drifting off topic!!!!!!! Sorry- motorcycles just get me reved up!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 01:50 PM UTC
If I answered this already, I haven't found the post. So...JPTRR, my freelance model railroad.
glatton
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 04:23 AM UTC
HMS Glatton is my favourite of the more groteque and useless Victorian battleships. Too deep a draught to work as a coast defence ship. So low a freeboard that she was not able to venture into open seas. So unseaworthy that she was only allowed out of harbour in good weather and with a better ship to look after her. The two guns in her single turret were supposed to be capable of all round fire by firing one on each side of the specially narrow superstructure!!!

The acme of hopelessness. You've got to feel sorry for her!!