Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
The story behind your screen name
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 08:37 PM UTC
Back in 1970 my highschool football (american) coach gave me the nickname of Big Rip. Big beacuse I was 190 lbs. all muscle (not now) Rip because my last name is Rippy. The 74 was the number on my jersey, so it bacame a handle that I could remember.

Robert:
plstktnkr2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 08:37 AM UTC
plstktnkr2: plastic tanker (what I build) 2- second Email account (yahoo)

guess everybody could figure it out,
GunLayer
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:20 PM UTC
Picked GunLayer as my call sign simply because my Great Grand Pop served in the Royal Navy as a Gun Layer. He joined the Royal navy as a boy in 1905 and was a Petty Officer when demobbed at the end of WW1. He mainly served on HMS Dreadnought, HMS Hindustan and HMS Royal Sovereign. My avatar is of HMS Royal Sovereign firing her guns.
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 03:54 PM UTC

I like dogs...big surprise..
And my present girlfriend started calling me a pet-name(which I can't tell) after I made a joke about a stuff toy dog I got her..... hence the "Dog".. As well as the fact that I'm half the time pissed-off with something or another .. "AngryDog"..

My screen name is also the name of my online business- AngryDog Productions.
Sounds better than Happy Dog Productions
B24Liberator
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 134 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 02:09 PM UTC
Mine is in honor of my father who was a B-24 mechanic who served in the 6th A.F. during WW II. He recently passed away at the end of Feb. 2009 at the age of 88.

It was he who first got me interested in aviation. It was an old Revel model of a B-24 that he built back in the 50's, which was the first model I ever saw.

Rest in peace Dad... Oh, how sad it is to see that generation fade away..
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 03:33 PM UTC
I like to spend time in the outback. Anything between 2 and 4 weeks away and sometimes not seeing another human let alone a vehicle for 3-4 days or more. I love my wide open spaces.

Cheers
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 04:29 PM UTC
mines pretty simple i'm a huge Star Wars Fan (got all the books- sadly sold all the figures, to get more models.) any how a Padawan is a learner in the Jedi order, since i've still got a lot of things to learn in the art of modelling i chose Padawan and 82 well that came from the year i was born 1982 and so padawan_82. Ant
phantomordie
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 01:41 AM UTC
I was an Aviation Ordnanceman for 23 years. About 12 years were working on the Phantom and also as an instructor on the ordnance equipment.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 01:28 AM UTC
Mine originated in my mispent youth. I had ( her indoors would say still have ) a tendancy to be a serious tutu and pull apart anything remotely mechanical to see how it works ( or just to see what the insides looked like ). I had less of a tendancy to reassemble them - though when I did I must say with pride that many a time I had left over parts but it still worked.

On those occassions when my Grandfather would confront me as to why exactly there was a disassembled lawnmower in the middle of the garage we developed a routine where I would deny all knowledge and he would always say "I see, Gremlins did it huh ?".

In my teens and early 20s that somehow stuck with me. Later on I used it a bit online but with the nz in place of ns as us Kiwis are an unimaginative lot so whenever we see a "ns" we just have to turn it into an "nz" ( as in New Zealand ).
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mine originated in my mispent youth. I had ( her indoors would say still have ) a tendancy to be a serious tut and pull apart anything remotely mechanical to see how it works ( or just to see what the insides looked like ). I had less of a tendancy to reassemble them - though when I did I must say with pride that many a time I had left over parts but it still worked.

On those occassions when my Grandfather would confront me as to why exactly there was a disassembled lawnmower in the middle of the garage we developed a routine where I would deny all knowledge and he would always say "I see, Gremlins did it huh ?".

In my teens and early 20s that somehow stuck with me. Later on I used it a bit online but with the nz in place of ns as us Kiwis are an unimaginative lot so whenever we see a "ns" we just have to turn it into an "nz" ( as in New Zealand ).

I was one of those inquisitive sorts, too! Another common point is that my former motorcycle shop was called Underground Engine Werkz. It was the German "werk" I liked and borrowed from the band Kraftwerk, but I too, was lazy and went the "Z" route at the end.

gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was one of those inquisitive sorts, too! Another common point is that my former motorcycle shop was called Underground Engine Werkz. It was the German "werk" I liked and borrowed from the band Kraftwerk, but I too, was lazy and went the "Z" route at the end.

Explains the interest in models don't you think ? All those intricate little parts to figure out and stick together. There's nothing quite as satisfying as working out for yourself where a part goes that isn't shown in the instructions.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 01:46 AM UTC
Mine reflects my preferred original scale for model building although I have diversified
1/35 for armor, 1/32 for jets, 1/72 for boats and anything for sci-fi.

However, it's my real surname draws more comment! It seems there's some experession in the States about a load of .........
retiredmarine
Visit this Community
Charente, France
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hi, my call sign is self explanetry, a retired Royal Marine, (Bootneck) as were known. Retired after 25 years service, and really looking forward to getting back into modelling after 16 years''semi retirement''. So much has changed in that time.
shneezbert
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 134 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 09:14 PM UTC
one day I was building a custom stereo system for a customer and was cutting a lot of medium density fiberboard and kept sneezing all day long, so my coworker started laughing and meshed my firstname and sneeze together. hence shneezbert.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 01:32 AM UTC
Mine...After the Tornado GR1 used in Desert Shield/Desert Storm.I was fascinated by the missions they flew using the JP233 anti airfield munitions system.
What really surprises me is the fact that no-one chose it sooner !!!
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 03:09 AM UTC
mine is because i was given the nickname " punchy " by my crew on my first mining swing .i used to be a competitive boxer and i was skipping for exercise as there was no gym . it was a hot day ( 40 odd degrees ) in the Pilbara town of Newman , Western Australia . A bloke walked past asked what i was doing , then said youve been punched in the head too many times , youre punchy . ha ha ha . he was right of course , never knocked out but . any ways that name stuck for four mines . now my workmates call me mad dog , thats another story .
95BravoK9
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 06:16 AM UTC
Pretty straight forward...Military Police (95B) Working Dog Handler (K9)

That is it was straight forward until about 2005 when the MP's were redesignated as 31B!
I've also found out that my Basic Training post was closed (Ft McLellan, AL)
My first duty assignment post has been closed (Camp Page, Korea)
My unit at Ft Hood seems to be gone (LEA-USAG)
And I was told that all K9 duties at Ft Hood are now done by DOD civilians or something like that.

I'm not sure WHO I am anymore!!
Jagdpanther302
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 12:22 PM UTC
I stuck with my current one because i use it at finescale. I didnt think of anything else so it stuck.
Tanker9
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 02:28 PM UTC
Mines pretty simple: I Love tanks and all military machines, was in the military and my favorite number is 9. Hence, Tanker9

armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hi Gang,i used to be squeeky1968 - my nick-name at work and my year of of birth -- BORING !! .So when i changed my internet provider i decided to change my handle to something more "snazzy".
I have always loved the colour scheme of the RAF Tornado`s from the first Gulf War,so i decided on armouredcharmer,after one of those "pink ladies with attitude" .
What really suprises me is that no one chose it sooner !!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was an Aviation Ordnanceman for 23 years. About 12 years were working on the Phantom and also as an instructor on the ordnance equipment.

Hey John:
Aviation ordnance / Aircrew VP8, hated the retro smoke gun on the P3A/B with a passion.

Robert
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 09:19 PM UTC
My screen name comes from a joke told in German about the former German chancellor Kohl's english: He goes on a safari with his wife Hannelore and she keeps asking him what animals they see (elephant, lion, giraffe) and he always says it's a dangerou. When she says she thought it was a lion he points to the writing in the safari jeep: "My dear, it says here: "All animals are dangerous!". Haha! Well and since I had just recently returned from Australia before I subscribed to this site I thought Dangeroo would be an appropriate name...

Cheerio!
montythefirst
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 02:34 AM UTC
name of my dog which was my first
PunyViking
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 05:35 AM UTC
I am called PunyViking or PunyV in all forums I am a member of.

The reason I use PunyViking is; in the winter of 97 i tromsoe i Norway there was al lot of snow (the weatherpeople measured over 3 meters), I was a cold all the time, then somebody said that all of us living above the polarcirlce was vikings. I was quit a skinny person at that time, so I said then that I must have been one of the most puny vikings ever. (talking to english speaking people at the time). So ever after my screen name has been the PunyVikling. PunyV is the lazy way.

endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
entire network: 2,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 09:10 PM UTC
Endrju is exact Polish spelling of "Andrew" and for some reason I've been called Endrju through all years in academy. 007 is for Bond, James Bond