Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Ancient Airfix campaign
c4willy
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 1,673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 03:33 PM UTC
@Jessica: yes I've seen that boxing Jess I was just forlornly hoping that a mainstream kit manufacturer might just relent and have a moment of madness and release one. LOL
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 06:31 PM UTC
You realize that that won't happen until after you scratch-build / build a vac kit / kit bash one. So get cracking.
c4willy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 08:31 PM UTC
Roger that Mark! I've got my eye on a short run kit in 1/48th scale that Jessica has mentioned previously lets see if it all pans out? Then just as I finish it trumpeter or great Wall will bring out their own wunder kit! LOL
panzerman1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 430 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 01:08 AM UTC
Next update. Got the bomb bay done prior to painting.

Base coat paint done...glossy paint will aid decaling and weathering.

Added wing machine gun...lil oversize.

Added extra details and partition to cockpit.
Thanks for viewing. Bill.
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 04:40 AM UTC
Looking good. Are those the kit decals? Mine have gone well into the yellow zone.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 10,069 Posts
KitMaker Network: 119 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 01:58 PM UTC
Nice progress, William. Looking forward to see it finished.

Here is my finished Airfix infantryman. The resin water on the base has not dried completely, so looks milky. otherwise done! It was great to build this figure again after having build exactly the same pose 15 years ago or so. True nostalgia!

Comments welcome

panzerman1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 05:31 PM UTC
@Mark, Thanks a lot. The decals I liberated from my Airfix HellDiver kit. The original kit decals are yellow as a bannana and brittle.
@Jesper, Way to go...the figure looks Great. Love the pea dot camouflage. Painting is well done, and the shading gives the figure a dramatic look. Also, the inclined groundwork compliments your figure nicely. Excellent work.
Best Regards, Bill.
amegan
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 996 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 12:24 PM UTC
Jesper, that is one model I can't build, well done sir!
Bill, I'm watching the Avenger, nice job so far.
Shot some paint on the Bristol, gone for the unusual scheme Lts Headlam and Beaton No 1 Sqn AFC in Palestine 1918.

It means I'll have to butcher the serial no decals, but it will look different, and I haven't built an Aussie aircraft since the old Airfix Boomerang xx years ago.
panzerman1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 09:48 PM UTC
Andrew, that's one very Cool paint scheme for your Bristol...kind of like a day/night counter shading. It will definitely be an unusual looking bird when done. Cheers, Bill.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 10,069 Posts
KitMaker Network: 119 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 03:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments on my figure, guys. I appreciate it.

Andrew, as William points out: very cool scheme for the Bristol. Looking forward to see more.
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 06:09 PM UTC
Dodged a bullet today. I couldn't fine the propeller for my Kingfisher, not another L3 to Airfix for a missing part.
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 12:49 AM UTC
HaHa Mark, i bet there were parties and all sorts going on when you found it again!
Hey guys yeah I cam back and after a period of watching some really smashing work being produced I have decided to submit a new kit. it is an original release (Mint In Box, first edition and still has the stand...I feel nefarious for even suggesting the opening of the bag) 1974 (just within mission parameters) Airfix A300B. It looks jolly nice and I have purchased some aftermarket decals in the form of the TACA Airlines Cargo branch. They haven't arrived yet but the kit did this morning. When the decals arrive I will post some confirmation photos!
panzerman1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 07:41 AM UTC
Next update. Matte coat and chipping done. Started the dot filtering. Some pics....................

Getting down to the home stretch. Comments welcome. Thanks for viewing. Bill.
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 08:50 AM UTC
Bill, i love the weathering on that, it looks awesome! I am liking the added interior details as well
c4willy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 08:59 AM UTC
I agree with Chris Bill that Avenger looks like it's seen some tough battles and is about to dive into another. Awesome job there fella!
panzerman1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 11:29 AM UTC
Thanks Chris S. and Chris W.
Once the weathering is done I'm starting on a torpedo. It's going to be inflight and dropping its torpedo. Going to make a base, with the torpedo splashing into the water.
Can't claim the idea...saw it done already. This will be my interpretation of it.
Thanks again, Bill.
amegan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC
Bill, that is weathering way beyond anything I would consider, but it really works, well done. Doesn't look much like the Avenger I built all those years ago, though...it looks infinitely better.
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 12:47 AM UTC
ok due to being snowed in for another weekend i've got the last bits of detail painting and some minor weathering done and thats this build finished.

one issue i had unsurprisingly was decals, they were really fragile and didn't want to come off the backing sheet due in part to this kit getting water damaged while in my ex airing cupboard (now we have a combi boiler the tanks been removed, and there are some capped off pipes in there, one of which developed a "weeping leak" that went unnoticed for a couple of days. because it was so small, barely a drip,it managed to dampen a couple of kits that were in there!)

it looks like the decals had gotten damp,activated, then stuck to the backing sheet.

i managed to use the front numberplate and insignia, but the turret numbers and cross actually turned out to be really out of register, so i replaced them with some WW2 era panzer numbers!

almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 11:11 PM UTC
did i say i was finished with this campaign?

oh no! not yet, i've decided to carry on with this-

the accuracy issues with this kit are well known and documented, in the spirit of this campaign i'm building as it comes, faults and all.
one thing i found, that doesn't seem to have been picked up by the rivet counters is that if you install the rear deck and seat as shown on the instructions the gunner is too far away from the gun, and is right where the canopy will be when its tilted back.

to fix this i simply moved the seat rearwards. although i think that the seats original position is the navigators position, but airfix only provide two crew members

this being a simple quick build (by my standards!)i did a little modification to the dash board here it is as provided-

i sanded away the moulded on detail and used a paper instrument panel from 3-d kits, that's actually meant for a spitfire i have quite a few of these picked up from scale model world 2010 where they were giving these away, one card with four panels on, they were happy for you to take as many as you like (within reason!)

now the bad news.....
whilst cutting off the main canopy to test fit it, i managed to snap the front windscreen in two!

however i may be able to repair this as its a simple flat section, but the airfix replacement parts dept is second to none so i may be able to get another piece
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,028 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 07:16 AM UTC
Coming in for the run on homeplate now. I know it looks like poop, but, that will all get fixed up as I progress.
The Humbrol Trainer Yellow enamel was brushed on, just like when I was a kid and in keeping with the spirit of the campaign.

Still at least 1 more coat of yellow to apply, and then the detail painting.
amegan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 12:49 AM UTC
Ben, you're a braver man than me, Airbrushing yellow, OK but brushing I think you and I both have a masochistic touch. I'll get back to the Biff next week when the Halifax (VPI campaign) is complete (another white model ) Next two after that are Airfix DH88 Comet (green) and a Great Wall P-61 probably black so that will make a change.
Phil, I never built that kit, but judging from your cockpit it should look great when it is complete. The one really good part of Airfix was always theirs spare replacement. I always cut a canopy with a razor saw, and haven't broken one since I started doing it that way, tough luck but you should be able to get a replacement, I wanted a Special Hobbies decal and they wanted 10 euros + postage, almost more than I paid for the kit!
panzerman1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 12:38 PM UTC
@Phil, the Leopard is looking Sweet, and the Battle improvements really work well.
@Ben, Good Luck with the yellow, looks good so far.
One quick update pic....spinning prop & canopy on it.

Thanks for viewing.....Bill.
PS: Andrew, thanks for the kind comments. B.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 05:03 PM UTC
Just so it doesn't look like I've been ignoring my own campaign, here's proof that I've been splashing paint about on the 737.
panzerman1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 01:40 AM UTC
Jessica, your jet is looking Good. Paintwork looks clean and neat. Good Luck with the Aloha floral pattern decals. Bill.
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,028 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 07:34 AM UTC
William, your spinning prop illusion is very neat. Great job on the weathering, too. Jessica looks to be running in on home-plate as well.

I'm here, just before clear-coat and a wash:

Reminds me of the lesser known "Rudolf Mk.XIII".