Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Ancient Airfix campaign
panzerman1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 430 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 07:46 AM UTC
Ben, your hand painted yellow turned out flawlessly....no blotchy coverage and no brush marks....Terrific. Anticipating the finish of this one. Good Luck, Bill.
North4003
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 02:06 PM UTC
http://imageshack.us/a/img692/2194/img5601o.jpg

Here is my project, a Hawker Typhoon. I believe it was first released in 1961 or 1962.
c4willy
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 1,673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 03:56 PM UTC
Hi Brent good luck with that kit ..... from memory I think the fit is poor at best. Still I guess you have to take into account the age of the kit as it's older than me and I'm now 51!
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,028 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 06:30 AM UTC
My first completed model of 2013:

I'm happy enough with it, and my 3yr old grandson is even happier. Life expectancy of this Airfix project is very short, but, it was worth it!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 06:50 AM UTC
Hey Ben

That Moth looks really good considering the age of the moulds. Load of good builds so far that show you can make a silk purse from the proverbial sow's ear.........
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 07:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Life expectancy of this Airfix project is very short, but, it was worth it!

Please join me in a moment's silence for the gallant sacrifice of this model to a worthy cause. You can't begin the infection process soon enough.
amegan
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 996 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 - 10:52 PM UTC
I agree the sooner the better, nice result from what is a pretty poor kit. On the Palestinian Front, the Bristlo Fighter is assembled and for your delight here are a couple of shots of it in the assembly jig. The assembly worked pretty well taking about an hour from start to finish. Removed the aircraft from the jig this morning after letting in set overnight and a hurried inspection looked ok

More pictures tonight
c4willy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 12:15 AM UTC
I'm loving the jig Andrew .... I think I've just found a reason to go get some lego bricks!
amegan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 02:46 AM UTC
My wife wanted to throw the Lego away when the kids moved out, I kept it just for this, I don'think I could do this kit without it, and the beauty of it is, it is always square.
amegan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 09:44 PM UTC
A couple more hours and ready for Klear and decals, once the undercarriage wheels set.

btw apart from the white, which is spray primer, the rest is brush painted, old school style, and it needs a bit of touching up as well.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 10:18 AM UTC
Andrew, I salute you for making something so good out of that kit! The colour scheme is very interesting and I'd love to know the story behind it. I also may have to use your lego jig next time I build a bipe.

Afraid to say that my project has stalled somewhat with a few other campaigns ending that took over the workbench and real life getting in the way. If I work like a demon for the next couple of weeks I might get her done.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 10:20 AM UTC
I have been reading this, and still intend to get going in the last month; currently I am engaged on the Matchbox campaign which finishes at the end of Feb. DEspite casting around for something more interesting, I will probably still go with HMS Daring, despite Tailor not turning up to hold my hand (as it were).

My favourite here so far has been the B&V - like Jessica, I had never seen this built but always remember wanting it as a kid, except no model shop we ever went to had it in stock, and I probably couldn't afford it. The London Bus here also stands out in memory as wonderfully good.

I have to take issue with Jessica's suggestion for a Blue Tits build however; Airfix Tribute Forum lists them as being released in 1978, with only the Bullfinches qualifying from the bird range, from 1976. I saw a 1/12 Joan of Arc went for £29 this morning on Ebay, how I'd love to see that one built too...

Hope to return here with something started soon.
amegan
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 10:21 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen, perversely I have enjoyed the build. The white colour scheme was used by No1 Sqn Australian Flying Corps in Palestine in 1918. There are pictures in the Osprey book of all white Aircraft, I don't know whether this aircraft was a bitsa (been repaired with wings from another aircraft) or if it was deliberately painted this way. Lego jigs work on monoplanes too, good for keeping tails square. Keep your chin up, life does get in the way sometimes, but it usually comes right again
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 11:21 AM UTC
I wonder if the white was supposed to reflect sunlight over the desert and prevent overheating? I also thought if it had been cannibalized from other parts too.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to take issue with Jessica's suggestion for a Blue Tits build however; Airfix Tribute Forum lists them as being released in 1978, with only the Bullfinches qualifying from the bird range, from 1976.

Well! Learn something new every day! I had thought that the Blue Tits was ancient, based on the fact that they never made it to anywhere here in the colonies.

Quoted Text

Hope to return here with something started soon.

It'll be very nice to see your Daring speed build
c4willy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hi there guys and Gals well my Eduard mask for the Bv141 arrived yesterday in the mail so last night was spent applying the mask to the kit. I have to admit it was something you needed to pay attention to to try and get it all uniform and I'll be the first to admit that it's not! LOL However I'll also admit that the mask made masking this canopy extremely easy just follow the clear and concise instructions and et viola! One masked canopy! I estimate that there was one and a half hours work in applying the mask. But the amount of time to do it with just masking tape and scalpel would have been double or triple that! Was the mask worth the $16.66 NZ dollars that it cost me to buy it and ship out to me from England? A very definite yes! To put it simply it would have taken me many hours of work to mask this particular canopy which lacked good definition for the framing in some areas all this was made moot by using the precut masks I highly recommend this product for complex canopies! Hell I highly recommend it for ANY canopy! here are some pics of the kit with the mask on.

Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,028 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 02:43 PM UTC
Chris, that is really a 'cooool' looking kit
c4willy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 09:06 PM UTC
Well a couple of three hours later I've painted and unmasked the Bv141 and the canopy looks just fantastic! LOL even if I do say so myself .... and I do. Just a word of caution it would seem that the lacquer thinners affected the future that I'd dipped the canopy in. Because as I was removing the masking tape it was removing the future film with it! This maybe more that the future didn't adhere to the canopy but I've never had an issue with acrylics. With that said it still looks just great. I've added some pics so you can judge for yourself.

warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 5,926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 271 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hello everyone.

I am almost finished my latest build so I am lining up to start my entry in this cornucoppia of Airfix goodness.

I could not find the entry I was going to build in any of those lists but they are not be 100% comprehensive as I know was released before 1976 as it is in my 1976 catalogue.

I am not going to say what this kit is but keep everyone guessing during the build. I am sure someone will recognise it fairly quickly but we will see if I can finish this slightly more difficult build in time for the end of the campaign.

If it is against the rules to keep the build a secret until the end then I will have to reveal the mystery build early.

Until then,
Cheers
Warren

Update: Just found out when it was issued.. but it is not in the list..
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not going to say what this kit is but keep everyone guessing during the build.

Pleeeease let it be James Bond and Oddjob!

Glued the hull of HMS Daring back together again (first glued together about 38 years ago) last night while waiting for wheels on other things to set. Inspected the other components in detail; small parts are not a pretty sight. Fortunately there's not many of them...

Chris, agree with you, the cockpit does look great. Interesting really with some of these kits, because of the way the parts are broken down, they are quite easy to build (if badly) but some are hard to paint well - such as this cockpit. Then there's things like the bird kits, and the 1/12 figures, few parts, but quite a painting challenge.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 07:15 AM UTC
Sorry Matthew but it isn't that one. And I am pretty sure that Odd Job hadn't even made it into a James Bond film until 1964 and I doubt Airfix would have even known about him until the film was released.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 01:13 PM UTC
While waiting for more wheels to set, Daring's hull was kind of cleaned up; I removed the fine line that marks the boundary between red and grey paint and tried to make the portholes a little more regular in appearance, rather than like a line of acne. Also made that bit where the top of the hull steps down into a straight line rather than a curve - probably there's a naval architecture term for that.

panzerman1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 430 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 04:26 PM UTC
Hey everyone, the builds are looking Fantastic.
My Avenger is 99% done, some pics..........

The water is air-dry clay, painted and gloss coated. Torpedo is made from styrene tube and a spare drop tank.
The armature is clear Lucite cut and sanded with a dremel.
Comments are welcomed. Thanks for viewing. Bill.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 04:54 PM UTC
That's a really innovative and dynamic way of displaying your model!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 04:57 PM UTC
Ailerons can't both be up william..