Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Ancient Airfix campaign
amegan
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 996 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2012 - 10:48 AM UTC
That's twice I got the Arado out, and put it away again, this time I didn't have any paint for the cockpit interior. I tend not to work on multiple kits together, and I only have 7 weeks to finish the Fokker.
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 227 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC
Just found an AMT Eagle Transporter, but I am not sure when Airfix first issued the kit. Does this kit count for the campaign ?

Thanks

Ian Clasper
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 10:41 AM UTC
Ian it would be great to have another SF kit and I've never seen an Eagle built! I'll do a little detective work when I can get on my laptop and let you know what I find. If not theres always the reissue of the Angel Interceptor to think about.
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 11:38 AM UTC
Just done some further digging, and I found that the Eagle was listed in the 1976 catalog, which would nicely tie into the first airing of Space 1999 in the UK (back in the 70's Airfix did know a thing or two about merchandising !)

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix-eagle-transporter-space-1999-p-421.html

Ian

Quoted Text

Ian it would be great to have another SF kit and I've never seen an Eagle built! I'll do a little detective work when I can get on my laptop and let you know what I find. If not theres always the reissue of the Angel Interceptor to think about.

[
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 02:50 PM UTC
That's going to look quite interesting. It's amazing, all the different types of kits that Airfix put out over the years.
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 04:07 PM UTC
Here is my entry:

Eagle Transporter, originally made by Airfix in 1976, released by AMT ERTL in 1999. This should bring back some memories, I built an original one as a Kid back in the 70s !

IMG_1372.jpg

The box has seen better days, but the kit is OK

IMG_1372.jpg

Still in the bag, even the decals look OK.

I plan to do some corrections, but not much else, should be a fun change of pace !

Ian
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 08:27 AM UTC
Looks interesting! I remember when AMT reissued these and my local shop had loads in. I remember a Moon base on the shelves too. Never knew it was the Airfix reissue and the time I was more into AMT's Trek and Star Wars kits. I can kick myself for not getting one at the time.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usBy phantom_phanatic at 2012-09-18

Work has started on the Orion. First job was to assemble the nuclear engines (I'm guessing a NERVA engine?). These needed a fair bit of filling and sanding to smooth out the nasty seam.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usBy phantom_phanatic at 2012-09-18
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 04:30 PM UTC
I remember visiting a "$1" style store in Liverpool UK back in the 1980s and they had a large pile of the Airfix SPace 1999 HAWKS for a quid each, now that would be a find today !
md72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 03:59 AM UTC
Well, good for Airfix! They replaced my lost canopy section with a complete clear sprue.

Even includes an under wing light I was going to have to scratch build. Looks like new/revised tooling as the part numbers are marked on the sprue now, no marking before.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I remember visiting a "$1" style store in Liverpool UK back in the 1980s and they had a large pile of the Airfix SPace 1999 HAWKS for a quid each, now that would be a find today !

As is so often the case in this hobby, if only we knew then what we know now.
Best of luck with the Eagle, it looks like it could be a fun kit. What scale are they claiming on the box?
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Best of luck with the Eagle, it looks like it could be a fun kit. What scale are they claiming on the box?

No Scale, but it does say 12" long, which puts it at about 1/72nd.

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 08:27 AM UTC
Can I enter with this kit?

I can't seem to find the campaign in the campaigns menu. I'm probably looking in the wrong section of Armorama so I have no clue what the campaign specs are.

If I can join the campaign with this kit do I have to built it OOTB or can I convert it? I had actually plans to convert and detail it into one of the racecars that entered the Vanderbilt cup in 1904. Maybe even Vanderbilts own racer.

If somebody can show me the way to the campaign so I can see what is expected and where I can enlist I would be very grateful.
md72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 08:59 AM UTC
Here's the sign up (it's hidden under Kitmaker, not Armorama.)
Ancient Airfix Assemblers

Jesse had a link to the Airfix tribute pages in the Proposal. It's a bit of a PITA to wade thru, but the answer might be there on the kit release.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 09:28 AM UTC
Hi Robert,

The Airfix Tribute Forum shows that it was first released in 1962, so it's definitely acceptable. I'd like to keep the flavour of the build close to out of the box, so it depends on exactly how much detailing you wish to add. If it's just seat belts and a few details that's fine. If it's a major rebuild that would disqualify it from the campaign.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 09:51 AM UTC
@ mark
Thanks for that link. I enlisted. My kit seems to match all the criteria.

@ Jessica.
Did a bit of searching before I saw you reacted and it is indeed an oldie. It predates me by nearly 20 years. Getting it to racecar standards requires me to leave off fenders. Replacing the molded on leather straps here and there. Doing minor additions to the front end of the drivers area, seatcushions. and I had in mind to replace the radiator screen with some fine metal mesh. But if that is already too much modding I gladly built it ootb (with the exception of the radiator screen I really like to replace that) and then try to lift it up with painting. And keep the racecar modding for another 1904 Merc. I have 2 more of those.

Would love to hear how far I'm allowed to go within this campaign.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 11:59 AM UTC
I think that's a bit ambitious for this particular campaign, although I'd love to see it when you do it. What about doing an "official" campaign version out of the box (the radiator replacement is okay; the rules allow for that) and then do your racer "unofficially" alongside? That way we'd clearly see the work involved.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 06:30 PM UTC
Ola Jessica

Ok clear. I have to do some digging in the storage at my parents house to dig that kit up. Would be fun to do a shadow version alongside the campaignkit to show the difference.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 05:23 AM UTC
A coat of white primer reveals where I still have some filling to do.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Matthew-
we could do something of a side-by-side build. It motivate you to go all-out on your Daring.
Cheers,
Guido

Guido, right, that's a great offer, what do I need to do? I'm wondering if it is really possible to make something acceptable from the parts that are in this box! I have never built a kit of a warship before, and you can see how far I got with it, ah, 35 years ago I think. So in order for you to see what I have here are some detailed photos:

At 28p I'm thinking it might be more like 39 years ago... before that early 1970s inflation took hold. Wonder when they changed the logo? The instructions have the old logo.
Seems a bit of a strange decision I made to paint the lower hull before gluing it together...

As far as the sub stash went, there was the 1/6 scale Imperial Guardsman, 54mm George Washington, Pikeman and a Henschel 123 but I think all are a bit too far built to include in this campaign. So HMS Daring it is... unless it all goes horribly wrong, then who knows.
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hey guys tad photo heavy here. First stages of the ME 262 build.

As we can see, its one of the very basic kits, with less parts than a 'beginners Spitfire' I was hoping to flick glue into the box give it a shake and have the 262 drop out. No such luck!

Fuselage, wings and engines post Liquid Greenstuff (thank you GW) and copious amounts of sanding. Even when the pins and lugs are properly aligned the kit still seems to be wildly mis-aligned.

Wings on part 1...

Wings on part 2, while easier for production purposes (I imagine) the 5-part wing system (uppers and lowers and then the lower central section) provides many hours of annoyance for modellers! Nothing fits the way it should and as a result there is plenty of sanding to do! I am at Games Workshop's Games Day tomorrow so no chance to do it then, but I will post another update when I can. In the meantime; is there a way to achieve the stippled camo affect, shown along the fuselage, without using an airbrush?
Chris
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 08:07 AM UTC
To get the mottled cammo effect ( I don't even own an airbrush!) I use an old brush, about size 4 or 5, with the bristles cut down to about 3/8" in length. Then the darker pattern is litteraly stippled on using a stabbing motion with the brush, prefferably when the base colour is barely dry to the touch. The edges of the cammo blotches will then be slightly softer as they blend with the base coat.

Needa a bit of practice, but I've used it on German aircraft from 1/72 up to 1/24 on many occassions.
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 08:13 AM UTC
Cool, thanks Dave. i will give it a go!
Chris
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
You could also try a bit of sponge dipped in the paint. Makeup sponge works really well for this because it's so fine and usually cut in a wedge shape.
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 08:42 AM UTC
I hav some cotton buds as well, if all else fials I will move onto those. Thanks chaps, great help
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 08:46 AM UTC
Sorry, I'm not much of a chap. Just can't seem to meet the requirements...