Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Ancient Airfix campaign
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 10:11 AM UTC
Well I've been getting to the bench as and when I can between work and life and each time I got a little bit done to the Gosling. While there wasn't much time I did get a couple of progress shot while I went along

First was the major parts and gluing them together, these are really showing their age now with lots of flash and bad alignment. This took a lot of clamping and removal of the locating pins to get a reasonable fit.

unfortunately I lost a lot of the raised detail while sanding so I re-scribed the panel lines. sadly I followed what was there and discovered afterwards that a lot of the raised lines should only be rivet lines.

The ancillary parts are beyond hope with flash so much so that I couldn't tell which bit were kit and which was flash on some of the so I used a paper clip to recreate the under carriage and plastic rod for the exhausts and struts. I hope with these modifications that I'm not breaking the rules but slightly bending them instead

and the parts in place

Primed

and painted in Alclad Aluminium

Next up will be to mask of the aluminium ready for the top of the wing and tailplane to be painted yellow.

As always comments, suggestions and critique is always welcomed
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
Looking nice Allen - I seem to remember this being released as the Grumman Widgeon? Same 'plane?

I've managed to score a couple more cars, so I may get them built in time; just depends on how I work through the 'to do 'pile.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 11:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The ancillary parts are beyond hope with flash so much so that I couldn't tell which bit were kit and which was flash on some of the so I used a paper clip to recreate the under carriage and plastic rod for the exhausts and struts. I hope with these modifications that I'm not breaking the rules but slightly bending them instead

Actually that's exactly the kind of "minor scratchbuilding to correct egregious shape errors" that I had in mind when I wrote the rule.
amegan
Visit this Community
entire network: 996 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 12:34 PM UTC
Nice Allen, some of these old kits are really beyond a joke, but often they are the only source of some types. Hi Dave, yes they are substantially the same aircraft, certainly with the level of accuracy in Airfix at this time the differences would be too minor to show. But what a pretty aircraft...
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 05:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking nice Allen - I seem to remember this being released as the Grumman Widgeon? Same 'plane?

IIRC, Widgeon was Gumman's name for it, and Gosling was the RAF's name.
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 09:49 PM UTC
The Box art does call it the Grumman Widgeon/Gosling

I suppose as I'm doing the USCG markings then technically I'm building a Widgeon
amegan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hi all, been on holiday with Mickey Mouse so delayed finishing the Arado, done now except when I copied the pic I realize I haven't fitted the bombs, oops

I'll fit the bombs and upload to campaign gallery.
The kit has plenty of faults, flash, lack of detail, aileron and elevator joins too pronounced, raised panel lines, but on the plus side it fits together very well and produces a model with the right atmosphere at a very reasonable price. Nice campaign idea Jessie, we shouldn't dismiss these old models, after all, we probably all cut our teeth on this type model and loved them.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 09:44 AM UTC
Another finisher! Nicely done indeed!
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,028 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 11:14 AM UTC
I can remember years ago that I was building one of these:

I remember also, Pipo the puppy, who chewed it to pieces before it was together. It was a different packaging, and it seems to me, better molded plastic. That was a long time ago, though.

After taking a peek at the fine models in the finished gallery, I was inspired to crack open this newer boxing. The finished products pictured there dispute what I recall reading once, that Airfix models are unbuildable.

So I'm in with enough time to finish. Going to give it a go.

Having started parts clean-up this afternoon, I note there are ill placed sink holes that need dealing with:

The prop isn't too much to look at, either.

There is no interior detail; no stick, no console, no seats. There is a pair of twined figures. And there are no clear parts.

And I'm off.
oldtimer
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 10:37 AM UTC
Ah that will be Airfix for you.

Cheers
Martin
amegan
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 11:13 AM UTC
Welcome to Ancient Airfix, I chickened out of the Bristol Fighter for the same reasons.
I wouldn't say it was unbuildable, I would say it will be very difficult to get a good model from the kit, if you build the Moth, I'll tackle the Bristol.
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 11:31 AM UTC
I built the Bristol Last year and the Moth this year. The Moth is easier to builder than the Bristol but has less detail (I.E. none) and the Bristol is a pig to build with all its individual struts, but turned out to be a decent-ish model once it was finished. Being honest they are both run-of-the-mill Airfix. The are 'fun' to build and attempt to detail and will bring forth a litany of 'why the heck did they design it like that' style mutterings as you see the top set of wings tilt sideways for the umpteenth time
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 12:40 PM UTC
I had the misfortune of picking the Tigermoth for my first ever biplane build about 10 years ago. To say that it came close to putting me off anything with two or more wings for life is an understatement. I've since gotten over the phobia after building a couple of Matchbox bipes and realising that if I got a good kit, they were not much trouble.
Andrew, I have an older boxing of the Brisfit that has much worse ejector marks on the wings than yours. Airfix might have cleaned up the moulds for the latest release, but not by much it would seem.

Anyway, all this reminds me that I must get cracking with the Orion especially as I have a new set of decals for it.
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC
Just a quick update on the Gosling/Widgeon

I've managed to get the yellow on the top of the wings and the underside leading edges.

I've also started decalling with the underside with the USCG and V202 decals as they will probably be some of the awkward ones to do. (famous last words)
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 01:06 AM UTC
you started without me!!

the hardest part of this campaign for me was actually choosing what to build from my nicely stocked ancient airfix collection.
i'm hoping to complet two builds for this one starting with something nice and easy-

bought this simply as a companion for the chieftan kit i've got.

the contents, including genuine black rubber band tracks.

a better view of the contents, although when i got this kit it was missing the instructions, but i've been able to download a set

and after a couple of hours it looks like a leopard tank!
i'm also hoping to add an aircraft build so i've chosen a kit with no accuracy issues whatsoever........

Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 01:30 PM UTC
If building an ancient Airfix kit won't give you a headache, the background on this progress photo sure will!

I can't get the pilot & twin student in there, no way, without breaking their legs at the knees and shaving the arms half off. A little too Mafia for me. Not likely any kid in history got them in there either.

Interior detail is non-existant. I should have at least formed a couple of seats. In keeping with the campaign flavor, though, it will stay somewhat OOB. She's reminding me of my very early days when these came out of the dime store (now called Dollar stores).

Since taking this bad photo, I've added filler. So the glue, filler, and paint is all that will not be OOB.
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC
ben, the last time i built the tiger moth kit i shaved the inside of the fusalage as much as i could, and skimmed off a little from the pilots and students arms and shoulders, that way i managed to get them in there (JUST)!
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 02:05 PM UTC
Thanks Phil. I'm not sure which would look the worst, no seats or butchered airmen. Thinking I'll continue OOB with no seats.
c4willy
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 1,673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 10:55 PM UTC
Hello Ladies and gents! I'm in with the Bv141 as long as it meets the criteria? I haven't been able to find a date on the parts and I couldn't seem to see it in the Airfix tribute forums. But I'm pretty sure it almost pre-dates me. Here's a shot the box and it's contents.

steph2102
Visit this Community
Isere, France
entire network: 735 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 11:31 PM UTC
hello, just joined up with this kit. history of change with a few bright
steph
steph2102
Visit this Community
Isere, France
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 06:13 AM UTC
I exit "the beautiful" out of its "jewel case ". all parties are present. the only small problem is that the fender is broken, but fortunately, this piece is in the bag.
steph
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 06:31 AM UTC
That's going to look great!
c4willy
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 1,673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 09:11 PM UTC
Okay here are the obligatory in progress shots! The kit went together in an evening without to much fuss. The engine boom seams were a little unseemly but I've tidied them up a little and lost some of the golf ball riveting that was Airfix's speciality but that has always been the case with these early kits. I'm certainly enjoying building this kit its from a simpler less complicated era and certainly very nostalgic. I decided to go with the overall RLM02 as I've seen the RLM70/71/65 done to death and this should look quite interesting once weathered appropriately. I've also decided to splurge on a set of masks for the canopy as the detail on the Airfix offering is a little indistinct and the masks will allow me to create the missing or soft canopy frame work.

steph2102
Visit this Community
Isere, France
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 10:05 PM UTC
hello, I started ..... assembly is not obvious that more random. filling, sanding. Finally, it can be seen that the kits have made ​​great progress. Tomorrow I will post some photos. good Sunday.
steph
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 11:22 PM UTC
I opened the AH Sprite and TR4A this morning, aiming to build them together. Both suffer from short-shots on major parts, and mismatched moulds. Put them back in the boxes until I'm desperate and feeling masochistic.

With three finished I'm calling it done for this campaign guys.