Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Ancient Airfix campaign
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 12:13 PM UTC
Interesting I've always fancied having a go at the tri-motor. I dont know how you'll complete it in time but best of luck!
Just needs a 1/72 Indiana Jones shooting out the door riding a life raft.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 5,926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 12:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting I've always fancied having a go at the tri-motor. I dont know how you'll complete it in time but best of luck!
Just needs a 1/72 Indiana Jones shooting out the door riding a life raft.

Unfortunately I don't really want an Indiana Jones figure in my plane as most of them seem to be destroyed when he is around them.
But don't worry I guarantee you I will have it finished in time.
Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 07:43 PM UTC
Boy did I speak too soon! Just after I posted how well everything was going I got to the engine nacelles with their struts. Nothing fitted like it was supposed to and it has turned into a bit of a hassle. They are on but I will need to reinforce everything with CA as the undercarriage attaches to the nacelles and the weight of the model will be on very small contact points. And the holes for the struts were either too big or non-existent.
But God made modellers to overcome these little problems didn't he.. Looking forward to a Tamiya kit next..
Cheers
Warren
vdejarnette
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 209 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 03:22 AM UTC
Warren, I have read a hanful of build logs or reviews of the Airfix Trimotor and every single one of them has mentioned being baffled at how the engine nacelle struts are meant to fit to the model so you are not alone. Makes me afraid to start mine, honestly... Good thing the decals cost me more than the plastic for this one.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 07:55 AM UTC
Keep working at it Warren. There's bound to be a solution to it.

I also had some fit issues with mine, not helped by the length. The strips I added on the inisdes did help somewhat but I had to glue the Orion's fuselage in small sections and hold it together while it set.

The rear end was particularly difficult and I ended up resorting to superglue here.

Next up is to attach the belly plate. Should be on track to have it finished soon.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren, I have read a hanful of build logs or reviews of the Airfix Trimotor and every single one of them has mentioned being baffled at how the engine nacelle struts are meant to fit to the model so you are not alone. Makes me afraid to start mine, honestly... Good thing the decals cost me more than the plastic for this one.

Thank goodness for that! I thought I had stuffed up in the nacelle production process.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 09:38 AM UTC
More progress!
Clamp city

Into the dim recesses of the booth..

Took quite a while tmask the canopy as there were no lines. So I made it up as i went along..
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 05:50 PM UTC
Finished....

As you can see from the piccies the cockpit glass was hopelessly oversize, but not having a vac form machine, or the inclination to make a new canopy it can stay out of whack. I was building this like I would have when I was very much younger and I didn't worry immensely about filling gaps back then and I only did a quick job on this one.
Jessie, the props are correctly pitched.
The nacelles for the engines and their struts are a very inaccurate fit, in fact one of the holes had not even been moulded in one of the nacelle halves! Anyway I got them in place and they support the undercarriage quite solidly after the application of some supa glue to the joints.
The decals were a joy. Responded well to some solvaset and snuggled down over the corrugations very nicely.
So in summary, some of the fit is great, some hopeless (Canopy, nacelle to wing sruts), decals marvellous and in the end it looks like a Ford Tri-motor. What else could you ask for?
Might even try and get some of my mystery build done now I have the Ford out of the way.
Cheers all and thanks Jessie for running the Campaign so well.
Warren (Speed builder!!)

PS Just noticed I forgot the pitot tube.. Will go and rectify that now.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 06:33 PM UTC
Really neat Warren.

This campaign is really good - you have to be a modeller to get the best out of these old kits, more than just an assembler of plastic bits! Too often these days people just moan if a model doesn't fall out of the box ready for gluing..............
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 09:22 PM UTC
Thanks for that Dave.
And now, straight from the depths of my stash, my second entry in the Ancient AIrfix Assemblers Build, the Mystery Build.

I am sure someone will guess what the kit is even from these couple of photos.
Cheers
Warren
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers
Warren

HMS Bounty?

tinbanger
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 141 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers
Warren

HMS Bounty?

French Aircraft Carrier?
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers
Warren

HMS Bounty?

French Aircraft Carrier?

Good one Richard, but no it is not HMS Bounty or the latest French aircraft carrier, but you are on the right track Dave. For such an ancient mold the pieces are going together quite well.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessie, the props are correctly pitched.

Except for the airfoil section, which has the front concave and the rear convex, which is exactly backwards...
Compare the model to a 1:1 propeller

Regardless, it's really well done, much better than my last attempt at it.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

no it is not HMS Bounty or the latest French aircraft carrier, but you are on the right track Dave..

It looks like a warship, too modern for the Golden Hind (it has gunports!), not large enough for Victory or the Wasa, not ornate enough for HMS Prince / Royal Sovereign so I'll guess at Endeavour?
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

no it is not HMS Bounty or the latest French aircraft carrier, but you are on the right track Dave..

It looks like a warship, too modern for the Golden Hind (it has gunports!), not large enough for Victory or the Wasa, not ornate enough for HMS Prince / Royal Sovereign so I'll guess at Endeavour?

Gunports? I'll believe you Dave.
And yes, that is a very good guess. The Bark HMS Endeavour (whatever a Bark is)... Released by Airfix in 1963. So the moulds are one year younger than me.
It is covered in clamps of various sizes and types at the moment while the hull halves and deck set. Then I will have to smooth the keel quite a bit, oh and fill some gaps elsewhere.. oh and remove mould mis-match molding problems.. but other than that all will be fine.. but I have to make the shrouds.. oh and there are no dead-eyes supplied...
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Bark HMS Endeavour (whatever a Bark is)...

Bark, a different spelling for barque = a sailing ship with 3 or more masts, the fore and main square rigged and the mizzen rigged fore&aft.........

None of the Airfix classic ships included proper dead-eyes or rigging blocks so far as I can remember - it's a long time since I built any. They do build up into nice models though. I remember when I still lived with my parents that my dad and I had HMS Prince, Royal Sovereign, Victory, Endeavour and Discovery lined up on top of the bookcase. Good to look at but hell for my mum when she dusted the shelves.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 10:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Bark HMS Endeavour (whatever a Bark is)...

Bark, a different spelling for barque = a sailing ship with 3 or more masts, the fore and main square rigged and the mizzen rigged fore&aft.........

None of the Airfix classic ships included proper dead-eyes or rigging blocks so far as I can remember - it's a long time since I built any. They do build up into nice models though. I remember when I still lived with my parents that my dad and I had HMS Prince, Royal Sovereign, Victory, Endeavour and Discovery lined up on top of the bookcase. Good to look at but hell for my mum when she dusted the shelves.

I put all mine in converted bookcases with glass doors. Dusting ships or WW1 aircraft would be disasterous for all concerned!

Maybe I can get 1/180 dead eyes from somewhere...
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 08:23 PM UTC
Ships have not gotten as much attention in this campaign as they deserve, so it's nice to see this one.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 09:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ships have not gotten as much attention in this campaign as they deserve, so it's nice to see this one.

If this one doesn't go to plan I have a 1/600 Moskva in the shed I have had since about 1983.
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 10:22 PM UTC
hello jess!
i've changed the leopard photos for some that are a bit more suitable for the article.
also, you may remember i started a fairey battle kit, i think i already mentioned that i broke the windscreen, which stalled this build for me, then we had some really bad news, in that, my father in law passed away very suddenly two weeks ago, so i've not touched my bench or been on this forum for a while.

one question though, will this thread stay open after the campaign is finished? so i could keep posting the battle build here?
and on that subject here is as far as i've got on it-

Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 03:15 AM UTC
First, condolences for your loss. Yes, I'll keep the thread running for anyone who wishes to get their models finished.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 06:53 PM UTC
AAARGHH!!! Why does this program lose all your input sometimes?
Anyway, Here are some progress pics of the 1/120 HM Bark (and yes it is spelled that way) Endeavour.

And finally, can anybody tell me what these are for? They are mounted on the supports for the windlass used to winch the anchors up..

One on each side. They look like heads to me but why would they mold heads with helmets (or hats) on those supports?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And finally, can anybody tell me what these are for? They are mounted on the supports for the windlass used to winch the anchors up..

One on each side. They look like heads to me but why would they mold heads with helmets (or hats) on those supports?

I can't see any useful purpose for them - perhaps they're just for decoration? As a Whitby Bark (hence the different spelling of Barque), Endeavour doesn't carry a figurehead........
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 07:46 PM UTC
I found this picture of the actual item..

and this