Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Official EOD Campaign thread
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 02:41 PM UTC
Lewis, I like your results. Nice scratchbuilding going on so far.

Old Dragon, I feel your pain about the spares box being nearly empty. I'm completely out of evergreen L, C channel, rod, and sheets.......and my LHS is closed until next weekend.

BigRip, I must be doing something wrong. I NEVER find deals like the one you're bidding on for those tires. I hope you snag them......those knobby studs look awsome.

Justin, looking at the angles on your machine is making me seriously rethink my Pete cab. I'm thinking of chucking the entire hood and scratching a new one made from angled steel (plastic sheet). I'm also thinking of dropping my frame and widening the axles so that instead of riding a mile high she'll set lower and the wheels themselves will be completely outside of the vehicle. Sort of like a modern Stryker.

Looking good fellas. I'm lovin' this campaign so much I'm getting way behind on all the others.

Hermon
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 04:45 PM UTC
@ Herman & Bob: I just paid for the tires on evil bay and will take some photos when they arrive.

Bob
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
Bob...that's a good deal. I just browsed his stuff....hmmmm....
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 07:55 AM UTC
All I did yesterday was play with my build and here is what happened. The armored box that will go on the truck bed might get a make over to make it BIGGER. I did not draw out what was in my head I just took some glue and threw plastic at it so far. I did plan out the chassis by starting with some heavier beams. Anyway here are some photos.

1. plate steel with angle iron welded over the seams for extra strength.
Photobucket

2. front view, later I will add viewing ports and an egress hatch on top.
Photobucket

3. the beefed up chassis.
Photobucket

4. the armored box without the top, which has not been thought up yet.
Photobucket

5. side view with the box just sitting on the bed.
Photobucket

6. rear view with the box.
Photobucket

Cant do anymore unitl those wheels get here, which will help decide how high my suspension needs to be or if the armored box will become bigger. Ok now back to my homework.

Bob

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All I did yesterday was play with my build and here is what happened. The armored box that will go on the truck bed might get a make over to make it BIGGER. I did not draw out what was in my head I just took some glue and threw plastic at it so far. I did plan out the chassis by starting with some heavier beams. Anyway here are some photos.

1. plate steel with angle iron welded over the seams for extra strength.
Photobucket

2. front view, later I will add viewing ports and an egress hatch on top.
Photobucket

3. the beefed up chassis.
Photobucket

4. the armored box without the top, which has not been thought up yet.
Photobucket

5. side view with the box just sitting on the bed.
Photobucket

6. rear view with the box.
Photobucket

Cant do anymore unitl those wheels get here, which will help decide how high my suspension needs to be or if the armored box will become bigger. Ok now back to my homework.

Bob

PM the guy thru ebay and ask what the dimensions are....Height/width/depth so you have an idea of what to set up. If you hit him quickly enough he might not have them boxed up yet....just a thought.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 01:55 PM UTC
Here she be...big, bad, and a ways to go yet-

The front two steering wheel covers need to be cut out and moved out roughly an 1/8" to fully accomodate the turned wheels easily....pretty darn close right now as it sits. The back drive wheels are fine. The wheel shrouds are to look hinged though they won't really work. The front wheel shroud will also be the cab steps - haven't figured out which side of that one yet though.
When looking at the 1st pic you'll notice 2 things;
-in the upper bar there's 6 outer squares for recessed headlights each side{need protective verticle bars there still} and the central radiator air intake...I should probably add two side scoops as well for added cooling.
-the cab seems off center...nope, the shroud is!{it's just sitting there - no inner side bracing yet}.
The cab will have Mack badging in the center panel, but that's it, and that top squared off back portion behind the cab needs to worked with to look better. I still have to add the rear cab dual fuel tank rack so I'm holding out as to whether I need upper cab shrouds too. In the foreground you'll note what was to be the front wheels...a Bill Signs wide steer tire with altered italeri rims to make a super single...I'm rethinking that still.......not enough tires!

-comments/critiques always welcom.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
Bob I like the dozer part, maybe we can trade. I need one, by the way the tires that I got on evilbay read 1/24 scale but are only 1" x 5/8" Oh well back to the drawing board to make my own like Justin.

Bob
Armornv
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 02:09 PM UTC
DANG!!! That's gonna be EEEVIL!
In a very zombie-killing good way of course!!

Nice work so far. Can't wait to see this one(and all the others for that matter) finished.

Clint
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC
@ Justin: After finding that the tires that I purchased on evilbay are only 1" x 5/8" I looked at your post on the wheels that you scratched and decided to steal your idea and make my own ( had to raid a Leopard 2A4 for the tracks Oh well this is more important that we fight the ghoulish hordes that infest the earth. Up with our order and down with the green zombies

Bob
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 01:09 PM UTC
naturally I went tracks there easy to fix and and if you cant. just keep driving over dead things
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 01:45 PM UTC
Check it out Cuda...

Making bad@## things make me hungry sorry
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 01:58 PM UTC
Hey Justin, those look like 7/11 burritos or just plain road kill fillings I am loving your build. I decided on the wheels of your making since I have all of the stuff in my parts box.

Bob
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Check it out Cuda...

Making bad@## things make me hungry sorry

The model and the food looks good{no sauceon the burritos?} but the plate is highly questionable!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

naturally I went tracks there easy to fix and and if you cant. just keep driving over dead things

You flatten them...I'll scrape them up!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Justin: After finding that the tires that I purchased on evilbay are only 1" x 5/8" I looked at your post on the wheels that you scratched and decided to steal your idea and make my own ( had to raid a Leopard 2A4 for the tracks Oh well this is more important that we fight the ghoulish hordes that infest the earth. Up with our order and down with the green zombies

Bob

Waste not want not...secondary pursuit vehicle wheels!?
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 02:49 PM UTC
no Sir those are the .49 cent burritos from walmart (man I love those things)

Bob and dragon and everyone for that matter you guys have some really good builds going on sorry I haven't mentioned much I'm trying to finish a Hasegawa raptor at the same time but I keep getting distracted wanting to build more on this project.This is a really cool idea and I am enjoying seeing peoples ingenuity when it comes to things non kit.I dont mind anybody using my Ideas glad I could help.

I have a few more ideas for a Dio and maybe a scout buggy.Dont know the ideas just keep coming or its the glue talking or this crazy Caterpillar sitting beside me Hmmmmmmmmm....ccoooolleeeerrsss.....
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 05:20 PM UTC
@ Bob (dragon) already working on the scout vehicle idea. I will be calling on ya for some stabalizing in that area.

@ Justin: tell me what brand those are and I will try them to see if they make me a better builder or just spacier than I already am

Bob
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 01:40 PM UTC
Justin, those burritos are givin' me heartburn just looking at them.
How the hell do you eat that at the workbench and not end up with greasy fingerprints all over everything?

Bob (BigRip), I thought you were a beginner at scratchbuilding? That armored cab and bed look pretty damn cool man. Exactly what I have in mind for my Pete.

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 01:46 PM UTC
I dont touch untill after I clean my hands but it helps to sit there and ponder whats next while chewing on a burrito and drinking sweet tea
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 02:12 PM UTC
To all: With more than one (1) Bob just use my nickname RIP or Rippy to avoid any confusion.

@ Hermon: I been playing with models since I was 5, that was 52 years ago. U-control Rat Race / Combat / Scale , Free Flight, R/C formula 1, and wood or plastic a/c, boats, cars and any thing that I could get my hands on to keep me out of trouble. Here is what I cut my teeth on at scratch building though not finished yet.
http://armorama.com/forums/147816&page=1

@ Justin: you did not let me know what brand those burrtios were or the sub type of food they were I may have to try them and let Hermon know if he should try one

@ Dragon: At the moment I am trying to come up with something for the small box that I had planned to use on the 55' at first before I made the larger box, that I am deconstructing a turret for. When those tire get here I plan on using them and those supplied with the 55' kit. What do you think of a small outrunner "as you put it" with (8) wheels

@ Clint: I love that chassis and tire combination you have going there. Will you have any defensive capability, or will you use the protection from the others here?

@ D: Where are you mate? The ghoulies havent got you have they?

Rip
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 03:54 PM UTC
Rip they are Patio beef and bean.$&@& now I want one thanks
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 04:57 PM UTC
Justin, what no cheese?

Rip
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 05:26 PM UTC
I was not pleased with the box that I had made earlier, it was too small and after Dragon suggested that it be used for an outrunner I constructed a larger box along with a turret. Some pics.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Now to finish up on the Justin Tires and make a 20mm for the turret

Rip
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ D: Where are you mate? The ghoulies havent got you have they?
Rip

No Rip, I'm deeply embedded in a bunker heavily surrounded by the undead horde, but I'm safe and secure and about to begin construction of my escape vehicle. There's gunna be some ghoulie goo spread across the landscape when I "Push the button, Max"

SPLATTTTT
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 11:33 PM UTC
RIP, 8 wheels sounds good....a stretched out chassis for that wheelbase will give you lots of room for hunting gear!

Guys - I could be "Dragon" or "OD" to easy the whole "which Bob" thing.