Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Official EOD Campaign thread
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:53 PM UTC
Ah wiki,the barrels of ammo are plated in armor giving them the weight.I don't need mine plated unless I run into a zombie that knows how to use a rocket launcher. Hmmmmmm uh oh damn maybe I do.
mtnflyer
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 394 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:55 PM UTC
After recently watching the documentary film "Night of the Living Dead", I thought I had better get to work on this campaign. Every isolated group of survivors may well need a fast recon vehicle packing a Zombie baking Flame Thrower.

I hope you can make out what I've been up to:

Its surprising what you can do with an old pen and a sick imagination.

I'll dress-up the guns breech, complete the new turret, and add some solar panels for economy in a world where fuel may be hard to get.

I know there's not much progress yet. Just wanted to let you know I'm trying. There's no plans, just shooting from the hip. Better that way, just incase the Zombies capture me and resort to torture for the intel. I'm going to make an exploding cyanide pill too.
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 12:20 AM UTC
Looking good guy don't take the red pill
mtnflyer
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi. Just thought I should like to give a progress photo. This is a general mock-up photo showing the direction I'm taking. Obviously, there's alot of work to do.

I think I'm working it out, for my very first attempt at scratch-building anything. It does look stupid, though.

The calculator display will become my framed solar panels for this electrically powered machine. The old engine compartment will be filled with a battery bank. The little gen-set will be handy in emergency situation. I'm using the drop tanks as fuel containers for the flame thrower. Right now, I'm trying to figure how to add more guns. The chassis is really too small for the addition of much more equipment.

I think you can see where I'm going with it:

Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 01:33 PM UTC
Very cool looking idea.Maybe you could do like the old german tanks and have some small cannons from the sides?
mtnflyer
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 03:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very cool looking idea.Maybe you could do like the old german tanks and have some small cannons from the sides?

Did german tanks have something shooting out the side too? I'm not a tanker, so I don't know.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 04:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Did german tanks have something shooting out the side too? I'm not a tanker, so I don't know.

You guys may be thinking of the WWI Mk series english tanks...{the Mark V being my personnal fave}.
Guy, if room is an issue, perhaps slicing the tank in half{front to back} and adding another tank in for more length is a needed option.........
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 04:16 PM UTC
sorry it was an English tank knowledge limited on the Armour stuff also
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 04:17 PM UTC
Yes sir thats the one
mtnflyer
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 06:38 AM UTC
Do you know, that if not for this campaign, I would not build a tank. The thought would not cross my mind because I'm a solid airplane guy.

Now I find myself researching tanks, and I don't have no tank books. What color are the tracks? How to simulate rust? Did they weld or did they bolt? How many guns? How many people? So many questions that I know nothing about

Thats the point. I'm learning. Doing something that I enjoy. Oh, I could sit like a stump on the couch, and watch TV. Then I would gain nothing. This campaign might be called "End of Days", but, its about a great deal more. Its about standing up, thinking, and doing something you may never have done.

Today is Sunday, the wife is at church, and I have the modeling desk and a bottle of white rum all to myself. Is that being greedy? or smart? Either way, I intend to make use of it.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 09:00 AM UTC
Here is my in-progress post #2.

I have done a little work since my last post. I made a new torch for my weed burner out of copper and brass pieces. I think it looks a lot better than the old one. I just need to get it painted. I also added some accessories to my crossbow. I actually got it painted after I took the photos. I cut two hatches in the roof of the car and added scratch-built hinges, latches and grab handles. I bought some frying pan screen covers and made mesh coverings for all of the windows with it. The scale worked out to be just about perfect. I glued the shotgun, bat, machete, meat clever, MREs and Diet Coke to the interior of the car. I figure that even if you are killing zombies you can still watch your calorie intake by drinking some diet cola!!

Other than assembling the wheel and axle assemblies that is all that I have done. Once I get the basic assembly completed I plan on adding some dents and scratches and few other such details such as dust, rust, burn marks and some dried blood. Possibly a skull on the hood as a souvenir??

My ultimate goal is to make the vehicle look like something that basically any survivor could do at a garage or gas station or other such place.

Anyway that is all for now.

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Harv
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC
Harv that is looking way cool
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 10:54 AM UTC
@ Guy: "ditto' I thought the same thing when the campaign started, but after viewing a few builds on another thread the thought of scratch building what came out of my head excited and frighted me. So Hermon and Damian enticed me into joining where I met Justin ( just as sick as the rest of us

@ Harv: I love the weapon selection (my favorites are the bat and the torch) but Diet Coke "really" you need the real thing to get you through a fright night PEPSI.

RIP (Bob)
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 11:44 AM UTC
What, I'm normal its the rest of you that are sick
Ditto on the Pepsi its the only thing that will survive besides rats
@Rip I picked up a case of burritos today 35 cents a pc.and I got twelve!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 12:42 PM UTC
Hey, Justin what is a pc for .35 and no body is as sick as the total sum of us!

RIP (Bob)
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 01:03 PM UTC
Microwaveable burritos,man fuel
side note just put a bid on an escalade on evil bay for .99 cents if I get it this will be my second campaign entry Killing Zombies with style (that and the dumb rich dude down the street that drives by in it everyday would likely be the first person to get ate at least thats my story and im sticking to it)
mtnflyer
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

)

The man who invented pop-tarts was a pure genius. The modelers best friend.

I fell asleep on my computer last night. Never got anything done. I'll try harder today
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 10:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you know, that if not for this campaign, I would not build a tank. The thought would not cross my mind because I'm a solid airplane guy.

Now I find myself researching tanks, and I don't have no tank books. What color are the tracks? How to simulate rust? Did they weld or did they bolt? How many guns? How many people? So many questions that I know nothing about

Thats the point. I'm learning. Doing something that I enjoy. Oh, I could sit like a stump on the couch, and watch TV. Then I would gain nothing. This campaign might be called "End of Days", but, its about a great deal more. Its about standing up, thinking, and doing something you may never have done.

Today is Sunday, the wife is at church, and I have the modeling desk and a bottle of white rum all to myself. Is that being greedy? or smart? Either way, I intend to make use of it.

Rust, Raw seinna, Burnt seinna and any paint that looks like mud is always a fine start for an old tank....base coat the treads with steel and weather from there.... alittle variety in your modeling can be a good thing - right? Give something new a try and if ya mess up...no=one here is gonna mind!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

,,,"that" man fuel will = "Methane", I'm gonna bet!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

)

The man who invented pop-tarts was a pure genius. The modelers best friend.

I fell asleep on my computer last night. Never got anything done. I'll try harder today

I prefer "Mountain Dew and Pop Tarts" myself....it's the Twinkies that'll truely outlive all of us though!
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Harv that is looking way cool

Quoted Text

Harv: I love the weapon selection (my favorites are the bat and the torch) but Diet Coke "really" you need the real thing to get you through a fright night PEPSI.

Quoted Text

Ditto on the Pepsi its the only thing that will survive besides rats

Thank you for the comments guys. I appreciate them. This project is turning out to be more fun than I thought it would.

I do have to disagree with a couple of you on something.....................I am afraid my vote goes for Coke and not Pepsi!! Sorry, I have done the taste test and Coke won!! Nothing better than your weed burner in one hand, an ice cold Coke in the other and some fresh crispy critter zombies around your doomsday machine!! I wanted a case of regular Coke for the car but I couldn't get it to turn out so I had to settle for Diet Coke.

Thanks again.

Harv
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 11:10 AM UTC
Lookin great Harv, some evil sidearms there, crossbow and crispifier !!

Sorry I haven't chimed in as much as I wanted yet, but you will be pleased to know that I have made a start on Phase I of my project here, the GAZ66 has its chassis and powerplant assembled, and I found a super cheap source of mesh for the scratch add-ons at $1.43 Aussie for a 150mmx150mm sheet !!

I will post some pics once I get something worthwhile to show.

Cheers guys, and keep up the World-Saving work that you are all doing !!
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC
Ohhhhhh look its 007 I just killed 100 zombies where were you
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 03:24 PM UTC
what did I miss did everybody get made into a meal
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 123 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 06:27 PM UTC
Harv, looks good. Real clean build so far. I like the propane burner. I guess it could pull double duty as a fish cooker as well. It'd look great to have a suited up "officer" or two leaning against that sucker smoking a cigar or sharpening a knife or something.

I'm at a sticking point myself. I'm not going to be able to use the miniguns like I had planned. I'll have to decide on my fun buggy's fighting compartment. It's basically a box with side firing stations. The problem is deciding on the top turret.

I am thinking of placing them on a street scene, maybe at an intersection. How does the corner of Linea Street & Quigley Avenue sound? I hope to add other easter eggs as well.