Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Official EOD Campaign thread
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 786 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 05:08 PM UTC
you guys are having too much fun here, great to see a bunch like yourselves enjoying and laughing together. sometimes other forums can be a bit too hard boiled about getting the colour right based on a b&w photo reference.

my truck i gots in me noggin is more of a heavy duty rig pickup cargo truck thingie rather than a semi optimus primie thingie... if that's be as clear as i cans say until i be drawing it up to scale.

loves the squad car o death build. wouldn't be wanting to get in front of its plow on a bad day. happy modeling and cheers, mh.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 01:02 PM UTC
Hey, MH draw us a picture. We love pictures they are better than reading the words that hurt our heads

Really I would love to see what you have in mind ( and to see what is up there)

RIP
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 01:53 PM UTC
Here is one for your refrigerator

Sorry no color I ate my crayons
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is one for your refrigerator

Sorry no color I ate my crayons

I LIKE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 786 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 03:31 PM UTC
printed that drawing out Justin and it's on the fridge buddy... the missus doesn't know why though.

okay, here's a tiny napkin drawing (this sketch is only 3/4 inches wide for speed) that gets some of the proportions of what i'm thinking about. lots will change once i start figuring out what can be user-friendly buildwise. i want it to look steampunk and 60's retro while being a near future truck. it will likely have Soviet makings on it.

putting to paper is actually a good start to get on as this may take a long time to sketch out. cheers, mh.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 04:16 PM UTC
Here's an idea for you MH, your sketch reminded me of a local Aussie-made RV for off-roading

OKA

maybe you could draw some ideas from that !!

Cheers, D
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 04:21 PM UTC
Lmfao he hung it up good stuff The idea looks awesome MH reminds me of that truck from the horror flick monster man.I think that was the name or maybe just a bad reaction to the crayons.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 06:04 PM UTC
MH, that is an awsome drawing and my head does not hurt I cant wait to see your ideas put into a plastic box! Hey ! D. I want one of those kiddie RV's when they give my drivers license back to me (not !) They would not let me back on the road with all of those pedestrians.

RIP
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the propane torch nice touch.

Quoted Text

The snow plow is the shizzy.I also like the torch leave it that size its industrial strength.

Quoted Text

Harv, that looks good

Thank you for the comments guys. I appreciate them. I am hoping to get some work done on my project this weekend. That and the other three campaigns that I am currently working on. So I should have another update photo to show soon.

Thanks again,

Harv
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 05:09 PM UTC
Justin,
I need a little help with the wheels. How are you constructing those monster tires. I have the discs cut and the the tracks to install. I am having trouble attaching the two different mediums together. Do you have any picture instructions for the handicapped

RIP
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Justin,
I need a little help with the wheels. How are you constructing those monster tires. I have the discs cut and the the tracks to install. I am having trouble attaching the two different mediums together. Do you have any picture instructions for the handicapped

RIP

Rip...you could assemble those two ways...
1- use 1-2 outer discs for the sidewalls with inner "rings" for the treads
2- or, do the whole oreo cookie sandwich thing the whole width of the tire..may
I suggest double stuffed!
As I recall from Roger's tire build{casper} he used each ring or disc in a rotated pattern for the lugs...each disc had a cog cutout pattern on it. Round over the sidewalls and add maybe one more ring inside for the rim to attach to.
Roger makes one good wheel assembly and casts the needed wheels from there...otherwise your making all/any wheels from scratch which would take a while.

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's an idea for you MH, your sketch reminded me of a local Aussie-made RV for off-roading

OKA

maybe you could draw some ideas from that !!

Cheers, D

That's pretty cool lookin...has that whole paris to dakar mini truck look to it.
I gotta get back to mine....got kinda sidelined by the sideskirts for the moment. Next time I decide to scratchbuild something I'm going to scratch some build instructions 1st. It looked easier in my head!
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 06:13 AM UTC
sorry for the slow response im at work.
1.make inner disc for both sides.
2.wrap treads around and use pleanty of liquid cement to hold they like to come undone because the plastic the treads are made out of dosnt adhere well.tried super glue dosnt work at all.
3.wrap up and tape and let sit over night.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 08:23 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice OD and Justin. Sorry hear that you had to work Justin, I gave that up (3) years ago when they took my dr. lic. away

RIP
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 09:20 AM UTC
had to work ?im still here
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 05:01 PM UTC
Damn, this campaign is running itself!

OK, here's the skinny guys. We have like 5 more weeks of football until the playoffs start. (One son in highschool varsity and one in youth league)
After that I should have damn near the whole winter to myself........except when I'm deer hunting. I'm only getting about an hour each week at the bench so bare with me.

Anyhoo...........you guys are kickin' butt.
I'm seriously diggin' all the different directions you boys are taking this. Randy, the cop car thing totally makes sense and the propane torch is just plain cool.
MH, your truck reminds me of my "Hellcamino" I did a few months ago. I'm looking forward to seeing yours come together.
Justin.........man, your self portrait is funny as hell.....but your freehand drawing skills seem to be a bit on the ULTIMATE SUCK side of the talent scale.

You guys are cracking me up and I'm loving every minute of it.

Hermon (Commander of all zombie-free zones east of the Mississippi and south of yankeeville)
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 05:34 PM UTC
[snip] Damn, this campaign is running itself! [snip] It just means you and D. are good commanders .

Anyway thanks to Justin, OD, and persistance I was able to battle the evil tire consturction and put together some thing that looks like its round. I want try out some Gator Glue on attaching the treads to those rounds thingiees

Some photos of some progress:
1. home made hinges for the Outrunner.

Photobucket
Photobucket

2.those round thingiees. and an attempt at a turret for my command vehicle.
Photobucket
Photobucket

RIP
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 03:13 AM UTC
looking good let me know how the gator glue turns out.
@hermon I did that in an attempt at something you would see on your refrigerator
in between building two different models Mh put it on his!But its ok I figure we will see your progress towards the end of EOD 2
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 03:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Randy, the cop car thing totally makes sense and the propane torch is just plain cool.

Thanks Hermon, I appreciate the comments. I ended up making a new torch as the other looked too big. I hope to post another in-progress photo later today.

Robert, I hope you don't mind but I am going to copy your hinges for my project. I have cut two hatches in the roof of my police car and I needed hinges for them. You idea looks good so I am going to make some like that myself.

Thanks,

Harv
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 05:27 AM UTC
Randy, go for it. I stole the tire ideas from Justin and OD.

RIP
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Randy, go for it. I stole the tire ideas from Justin and OD.

RIP

...I like how that works....that's the whole idea of being here....teach and be taught at the same time!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 11:04 AM UTC
Howdy fellow 'rama fans

I have enjoyed skimming through this thread, it brings back some wonderful memories for me at a time I most certainly need some......anyways, all of the entries so far have been superb, and the thinking behind them impressive. And, being as I am a scratch builder by cob-webbed choice, I have already invested some mental time into a potential candidate I might have for this Campaign.

Since I have not participated on the Forum's here at Armorama for quite more than a 'fortnight' I shall not bore any of you with any of the details of my thought trail until tangible fruition of my mental ramblings are a tad more forthcoming...
suffice to say that it will be of a somewhat different flavour.

Congrats on an exciting sounding Campaign, and I will be the fortunate observer of all of the efforts colouring it's course...indeed, something to enjoy

Semper Fi!!

Tread.
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 11:25 AM UTC
Wow......... Thats making me want to charge up the hill and take an artillery position very well spoken Sir.Cant wait to see some progress
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 12:51 PM UTC
Ok! here is my first attempt at those tires Justin I will let you know about the Gator Glue, you can see it all nice and gooie on the treads. I first drilled many holes into the plastic in hopes that the Gator will anchor it self there. I also made sure the glue squeezed through ontop.
Photobucket
Photobucket

RIP
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 02:04 PM UTC
Bob, with a little brown paint and some mud colored powder, that excess glue is gonna look just like mud sticking in the tracks. Looking good my friend.

TreadHead, I have no idea what you just said. However, feel free to jump in and contribute. For my sake though, please use words with less than two sylables and keep your sentences shorter.

Hermon