Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Official EOD Campaign thread
mtnflyer
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 394 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 02:55 PM UTC
Originally I was going to mix/match an M113 with a quad 50 cal. outfit. That was before I messed-up badly on the quad .50's. I've surrenderd to the realization I'll have to play it by ear.

So I soldered up this (55cm) Tomb Keyless Entry Device:

I'm presently considering a few different ways I might scratch a breach or a turret. Also, I might mount it on a '37' Ford Panel Wagon instead of the M113.

Considering that EOD means the military has probably been eaten by zombies already, I'm trying to make the back-alley built concept vehicle.

Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 123 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 04:53 AM UTC
A quick update... For the halftrack, I got the running gear done and painted (brown). Individual tracks assembled.I had to trim the guide teeth to fit the running gear. Regardless they look alot better than the kit tracks.

For the front wheels I went with a dually configuration. The spares box provided four wheels from an old LAV-AT kit (AMT/Ertl).

Test mounted the kit bed to accommodate the thicker tracks and stretched frame.

Started the fighting compartment, not happy with results. Put that on hold.

Basic assembly done on Mutt. Base paint put on...I'm going with brown auto primer. I got more done on it than I had planned. Put it on hold to dry and give me a chance to decide exactly what I want to add.

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC
I detailed the motor and weathered it-

Started out a nice clean CAT yellow, then followed up with a black wash then a rust wash...I like it.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 12:21 PM UTC
Niiiiiiice Bob, very nice indeed !!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 01:41 PM UTC
Bob, your cat looks like it has had some hard days at the office. Ditto D's remark and it gave me some ideas on my chevy engine.

Bob
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 02:14 PM UTC
I like it Bob, I really like it. Only things I'd add from personal experience would be some leaking diesel stains around the injector pump and some hard core rust/crust around the turbo where all the heat builds up........yeah, I know that's really knit-picking.

Still waiting on my super secret parts to get here then I'll post some pic's of my stuff before I get started.

GAB, sounds cool and I like whole front dualies concept a lot. Let's see some pic's when you get a chance. You're killin' me.

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 04:14 PM UTC
@bob that truck is looking great.

My build is progressing slowly I fiddle with it when I take a break from the raptor build I will post more pics soon.

Justin the destroyer over and out
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 123 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 06:37 PM UTC
In case anyone is still looking for base vehicles I noticed that Squadron's latest flyer has some 1/32 Revell trucks and muscle cars. There's a fire engine, Kenworth rig, and even a Mack tanker (thought he online site is showing it's out of stock). A lot of them are snap together but I figure they could be used as the basis for a project. Not affiliated with Squadron...just passing that along.

By the way, is anyone doing a subject based during WW2, or not during current item periods? Didn't someone mention zombie nazis? I'm playing around with some ideas for my own project's background story. I might even place it in the 60s or 70s.

I'd love to have some cars parked int he street and unfortunately there isn't a surplus of modern vehicles available. Those snap 1/32 cars might be an option.

Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 07:06 PM UTC
GAB, I purchased my Monogram 55' Chevy p/u @ Squadron for pennies and have already messed up the cab trying to cover the windshields in steel (plastic card) with a novice problem from my days of being around 8 years old. Herman you should have been able to smell the massive glue spill/application. I put way too much glue on the sheet plastic that I had cut for the covers on the cab and made what looked like a weld seam the size the Titanic needed to stay aloat. So on to the engine and try to follow Bob's example which will give the cab time to dry before I destroy it again.

I had planned to build up over the truck bed a box to hold a turret with a 20mm and maybe a heavy duty plow on the front of the chassis. Hey Justin I may need some one to monitor my glue usage or maybe I have been couped up too long with no fresh air, guess it is time ot go outside.

Bob
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

GAB, I purchased my Monogram 55' Chevy p/u @ Squadron for pennies and have already messed up the cab trying to cover the windshields in steel (plastic card) with a novice problem from my days of being around 8 years old. Herman you should have been able to smell the massive glue spill/application. I put way too much glue on the sheet plastic that I had cut for the covers on the cab and made what looked like a weld seam the size the Titanic needed to stay aloat. So on to the engine and try to follow Bob's example which will give the cab time to dry before I destroy it again.

I had planned to build up over the truck bed a box to hold a turret with a 20mm and maybe a heavy duty plow on the front of the chassis. Hey Justin I may need some one to monitor my glue usage or maybe I have been couped up too long with no fresh air, guess it is time ot go outside.

Bob

Bob, your vehicle doesn't have to be perfect, matter of fact, if your squad is lacking in talent or funds it may have to be quick and dirty builds to get the job done...some areas will have the resources, talent or manpower to do professional looking work{I'm talking the models - not "your" ability}. Build or rebuild it to how you'd want it to look and seeing as there's no set standard - anything goes! Just have fun!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words guys, what can I say, graeme inspired me with his diamond reo truck{OTR build}. My motor is the snap pete CAT 3406 motor, so I googled it, found it was the B model and printed some pics to go by. I wanted it to looked used but in decent shape. I just finished the intake and exhaust pipework out of some .180 aluminum wire, which was a joy to bend - not! - but it's better than the previous attempts of brass and styrene tubing that failed. I thought the brass tube was already fully annealed, but I'm thinking it's not since it snapped where I bent it even with a tube bender - always anneal your brass{get it to glow redish with a torch} so it bends easily on tight bends! Dual tanks, dual exhaust and dual intakes are the order for today. I drew up plans for my rack for these so I just have to build it now.
My next job is to build the front and lower surround that will semi encase the chassis/wheels and make up the front Ram/bumper assembly. This is a road clearing mobil base truck now...and will be built per needs...for clearing the roads of derelict cars and debris. As they said in Animal house...."Ramming speed!"...hmmm, another idea for the demolition build.........
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 11:19 AM UTC
I am definitely not the right person to monitor your glue.when all is said and done we would be laying on the floor looking at the pretty colors
Armornv
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 11:34 AM UTC
Small update. Wheels are on, construction of the cab has begun. Not sure I'm happy with it but I think it's enough to get a good start on. Still trying to "design" the gigantarific revolver for the back as well as actually make the new rear half since it is now longer and will need to be a bit wider because of the tires. I do have a name picked out for it tho....I think it will be quite fitting once everything comes together..... as long as someone else doesn't steal it first lol

Clint

Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
@Clint: I like it that was the affect that I tried to accomplish on my windscreens unitl I touch the glue
@Bob: Justin and I both have been sniffing way too many glue fumes, that 55 Chevy is actually a 55 Ford
@Justin: Save me, Save me my work bench has taken over and I cant find my texts that are needed to do my homework

Bob
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 02:00 PM UTC
Seriously coooool Clint. It's the same basic concept I'm doing except mine will sport 3 axles in the rear with a stretched frame and monster truck tires.
Great looking rig so far.

Hermon
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
OK! some photos of. .
1. Engine ( I need help with what it is or can be since it aint a Chevy )
2. The junk yard.
3. My platform to make an armored car like thingy
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Bob
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 03:51 PM UTC
Bob, the possibilities are endless. It's totally up to you which direction you go with this one. Me....I'd jack that b**ch up a mile high, put some stationary flame throwers on the front fenders, and build a sniper platform in the bed. You have the perfect kit to go wild with.

OK, as promised here is a pic of the kit I'm using and the tires I won off ebay (thanks old-dragon).
My intention is to have a 3 rear axle set up and a single front. I'm gonna do a serious suspension lift all around and also stretch the frame somewhere around 10 inches. There will be weapons stations in various places as well as a rotating round drum that will extend from the front bumper location. The drum will have 4 feet (scale) pieces of heavy chain welded on....evenly spaced....and will act like a flail. Kind of like those old WWII mine detinators on the front of Sherman tanks. The iceing on the cake will be the armored Hemi Cuda' that will ride on the back of the truck and act as a fast mover. It'll be used to round up zombies and funnel them into ambushes.

Now, I'll get started on this beast as soon as I finish up a couple other campaigns.

Hermon
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 09:26 PM UTC
Man you guys are doing some SHWEEEEEEEEEET work here. I'm being left way behind. I really need to get a couple of other builds tidied up and join the fray with my APOCALYPTEBAGO EXTREMO !! I have been collecting junk and drafting plans for the dio, including using a rice steamer basket and old modem for a bunker and command centre. Pics soon of bits and pieces and drawings.

'Cuda, seriously cool rubber dude, I can see wafer thin undead with that tread pattern from one end to the other, and here you laughing away into the distance.

Clint, awesome work so far, I'm going for a similar plate effect on my build, and I'm going to try very thin rolls of Milliput with some indented pattern to replicate a rushed weld job.

Cheers, D
Loobes
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 12:08 AM UTC
Some done on mine. Wasn't happy with the kit front so i built a new one

And the original after being flattened with putty

And dry fitted in place

Stuck with the kits original top

Sniper Rack

Sniper

As you might be a ble to see I have removed all the drive sprockets as it will be mounted to the bed of the big foot
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
I've got alot done on mine...pics to follow later on...maybe tomorrow.
While you guys strive for the mile high club...I'm going to be playing my "War, LowRider" song in my theme's head....problem is my needed tires are on back order from england so I'll play with the street tires for the moment - bummer.
Man, I've been hittin the plastic stash way too hard, need to wander over to the LHS and pick up some more supplies/pieces! All my L's and strips are nearly gone!

Oh yeah, Bob, that motor looks to be a ford 302 5L mill...possibly a 351W with tuned port.....
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 06:00 AM UTC
[quote] Oh yeah, Bob, that motor looks to be a ford 302 5L mill...possibly a 351W with tuned port.....[quote]

Thanks Bob for the info. I guess that I will hvave to SUPER TURBO CHARGE the heck out of it .
@Herman: I took your hint and went on evil bay to bid on some nice BIG tires. I will know in 10 hours if they are mine.

Bob
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 07:01 AM UTC

some progress.
@Bob remember what the door mouse said free your head!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 09:18 AM UTC
-We've got some mighty fine lookin builds going on here! Keep up the great work guys.
-Jefferson Airplane huh....Mmmmm...yeah, classic!{why did they go to starship?!}
-Bob....uhmmmmm...hey, what auction was that?

-Got my armored surround done...glues dryin. Here's a thought for your heads - my build is going to be like this....if the old movies Killdozer and Maximum Overdrive were to get together...my truck would be their lovechild! Ponder that whilst you hit your glue Hookahs!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 11:08 AM UTC
@ Justin: I LIKE IT! I am having fun with my destruction now, pictures to follow.

@ Bob: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150486824406&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Sorry for the link I took it off of evil bay and this is what came out. Any way enjoy.

I AGREE, THERE ARE REALLY SOME FANTASTIC BUILDS SO FAR. Just think what it would be like if we were all in the same room with all of the brain waves just exploding to get out and create that monster inside of us

Bob
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 11:21 AM UTC
Remember rule #2 always check the back seat