Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
World Cup BLOG - Contributions Welcome!
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC
Footballers with (artificial) intelligence - you only have to punch the game plan into them once

RoboCup

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 05:19 AM UTC
How do they run the clock in Soccer? I noticed many times the games seem to end at different durations. No two games seem to run the same time. Extra minutes are added to the end?
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How do they run the clock in Soccer? I noticed many times the games seem to end at different durations.

That extra time is sometimes referred to as injury time. Even though the clock runs continuously, every time the play stops for longer than a few seconds for example after one player's foot found another player's face, officials add that lost time on to the end of the game. I don't believe that it is exact science. It appears to be more or less an estimate and it is at the discretion of the officials.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 07:06 AM UTC
Tha last ten minutes of the Germany - Poland game reminded me of old footage from Sept. 1st 1939
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well that was a weird experience - watching Spain play like a serious contender... Or is Ukraine just REALLY bad?

A mix of both, but considering that Ukraine was the stiffest competition in Spain's group, they should win the group easily.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 11:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tha last ten minutes of the Germany - Poland game reminded me of old footage from Sept. 1st 1939

How 'bout that for a nail-biting finish then?! And I've got the hangover to prove it. Funnily, the young lady squeezed onto the biergarten bench next to me seemed to think I'd scored the goal, not Neuville. Had a job explaining the lipstick to SWMBO.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 11:58 AM UTC
For those (like myself) STILL amazed at Spain's performance yesterday, one of the most significant factors was leaving Raul on the bench (and bringing him on only when the game was won) - it improved the team 100%. Another 'oddity' on the team is the winger Pernía - he only got his Spanish nationality a few months ago and was a last minute substitution for the injured Del Horno (of Chelsea) why he wasn't first choice is anyone's guess - the highest scoring winger in Europe this season. Possibly something to do with the Trainer's rather peculiar racist attitudes..

However, Spain will (inevitably) have problems against Tunisia and Saudi Arabia in the next games. That is the nature of their game. Medium sized teams o.k. - small ones, total collapse....
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:15 PM UTC
hi all..wc season here in malaysia is always mad...even a laundry detergent can produced TV ads with ronaldinho in it

the matches were aired at local time 9pm, 12 pm and 3 am...
unfortunately, some of the best matches were aired via paid TV..damn!!!!

so far i only watch a few matches since it's late and furthermore we have some modelling competition next month...so my schedule is tight...

so in your opinion which is the best macth and goal so far??
to me the best macth would be germany vs costa rica///and thebest goal is by Frings of germany - the 4th goal

the worst game is Iran vs Mexico....even the spectators in the stadium are asleep... so do i

just in case any of you got tired and football fever, here's a medical certificate that you can print opss..it only valid in Malaysia ..hehe

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How 'bout that for a nail-biting finish then?! And I've got the hangover to prove it. Funnily, the young lady squeezed onto the biergarten bench next to me seemed to think I'd scored the goal, not Neuville. Had a job explaining the lipstick to SWMBO.

dave, u have the guts to keep the lipstick marking and go home?? hail brother!!!

i watch the macth in the replay match at the office this morning... i'm still surprise even i already knew the result..lucky the boss allowed the TV to be on ..but no shouting!!!
Zacman
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What's a World Cup :-)

BTW according to the media guide the Super Bowl is the biggest "single" day event in the world. The World Cup is the biggest multiple day event in the world. The Super Bowl ratings beat any single day ratings of the World Cup but not cumulative rating of the whole World Cup event.

I think you will find that is only the case in America!
Zacman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

and American football has near zero popularity outside the US.

Not true, I love it. Much better than football(soccer) and marginally better than rugby.

HEATHEN! :-)

Interestingly though still off topic I found this:

Quoted Text

The game was also televised in Australia (SBS), Austria (ORF and TW1), Brazil (ESPN International), Denmark (TV 2), Finland (MTV3), France (France 2), Germany (ARD), Hungary (Sport1), Iceland (SÝN), Ireland (Sky Sports), Italy (Sky Sports 3), Japan (NHK BS-1), Mexico (TV Azteca), the Netherlands (SBS6), New Zealand (ESPN International/SKY TV), Portugal (SportTV), Spain ([[Canal +]]), Sweden (ZTV), and UK (ITV/Sky Sports). According to the NFL, the game was available worldwide in 32 languages. [8] Though, as the NFL noted, the game could have been watched by up to one billion people worldwide, only about 2 million people outside North America are likely to have watched the game, according to New York-based media research firm Initiative.

It's interesting to see that most of the channels listed are sattelite/cable channels or in the case of Australia, a cheap government funded free to air channel, I seriously think the NFL are dodgying up their numbers here..........

Go Croatia! Australia doesn't stand a Chance against Brazil!

::edit::
Check this article:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/steve_rushin/02/03/rushin0206/index.html

The reason in Australia SBS, has the rights to the world cup is because a Australia is still see as a developing nation in Football, the games must be show free to air the other channels are not allowed to play the games live. Also SBS has some really good shows the other channels wont touch, they also have really good news.
If you look at the Croatian team you'll see that 3 of the players are Australian!
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 03:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

dave, u have the guts to keep the lipstick marking and go home?? hail brother!!!

Didn't see 'em til I got home, Ahmad

Quoted Text

If you look at the Croatian team you'll see that 3 of the players are Australian!

Funnily, one of the German players is Polish-born.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 06:38 PM UTC
Ha! Between the World Cup and the Stanley Cup playoffs I am not getting much done these days. :-)

Good thing my wife is a big a sports fan as I am.

That Germany game was crazy. I didn't really care either way but man how can you beat that for excitment!

That game and then watching Fernando Pisani (not a really a hockey name ha ha) score a shorthanded goal in OT for the Oilers made for a great day of sports watching.

Looking forward to England (my wifes team) play today and then of course Holland later this week.

Jeff
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 11:34 PM UTC
Oh dear. England.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 01:05 AM UTC
Not another bitter Scot are we Jim? :-) :-)

Although to be fair our performace so far has been pretty dire, almost as bad as listening to the constant Rooney saga.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not another bitter Scot are we Jim?

Mot at all - I like England, particularly since some Numpty of a Scottish Nationalist said it was necessary to support any team apart from England..

No, I was genuinely disappointed by their antics. It's a team which should do better..

I want to see Enland vs Germany so I can watch it with my photo of Churchill, copy of the Sun and large, inflatable Spitfire followed by a fight with any visiting German tourists - or is that going TOO far? :-) :-) :-)
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 12:37 PM UTC
Last night's absence of a train (points failure at Gidea Park) meant I ended up spending an extra 30 minutes in the office listening to the first half of the Ingerlund match.

On the way home after getting the next train we ended up in the Italian barbers (and they are Italian, the big flag on the wall inside was a little bit of a giveaway) for a while watching the desperation between about 60 and 70 minutes into the game. The Italians thought Ingerlund were playing poorly too, and now think the repaint job on the outside of the building might have been a mistake. Off course we missed the goals

Still a Gooner, so it was good to see Freddie Ljungberg do the business (finally)

Zacman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 02:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Also SBS has some really good shows the other channels wont touch, they also have really good news.

Aye, I used to love SBS when I was back home, some great movies there.......

It's apprantly the most watched tv channel in Australian jails, from 8.30pm onwards, and i don't think it has any thing to with the News!
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

followed by a fight with any visiting German tourists - or is that going TOO far? :-) :-) :-)

Not to worry, Jim, we'll send over the Kondor Legion :-)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 09:29 PM UTC
What's with a player running past another player,and one of them falls down screaming in agony,clutching a leg?
Is the wake turbulance such that injuries abound?

Sissies.

Go Red Sox...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What's with a player running past another player,and one of them falls down screaming in agony,clutching a leg?
Is the wake turbulance such that injuries abound?

No, that's to create dumb questions... :-)