Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
World Cup BLOG - Contributions Welcome!
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 02:08 AM UTC
And we're through
8th finals reached, where Portugal, Mexico or Angola are waiting.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 03:49 AM UTC
Nope, Argentina all the way...

El Diez es el numero....
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 07:25 AM UTC
Whoo hooo! Go Holland!

Was a bit exciting at the end but they came through. Really enjoyed watching that match today. Actually they were all god ones to watch.

Argentina and Holland will be a great one I think. Argentina looked pretty damn good.

Was driving around town this evening and its amazing how many flags you see on peoples cars. Lots of English, German, Portugese, Italian and yes even quite a few Dutch flags. I sometimes think that if Canada was to ever qualify for this tournament again most the people here wouldn't know who to cheer for!

Jeff
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 02:58 PM UTC
My prediction is now Argentina to win. No other team is even coming close...Jim
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 05:10 PM UTC
I am actually caught up in the whole thing. I never watched soccer before and have no idea what the rules are but it is fast and fun to watch. Also fun to watch because I couldn't care less who wins. Rooting for Angola...

Shaun
Zacman
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nope, Argentina all the way...

El Diez es el numero....

I was about to say it was to early to tell and wait till the next round, but having watched Argentina the other night, [auto-censored] hand them the tittle, i just hope they can repeat that performance, just not against, Australia or England Please.
Zacman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whoo hooo! Go Holland!

Was a bit exciting at the end but they came through. Really enjoyed watching that match today. Actually they were all god ones to watch.

Argentina and Holland will be a great one I think. Argentina looked pretty damn good.

Was driving around town this evening and its amazing how many flags you see on peoples cars. Lots of English, German, Portugese, Italian and yes even quite a few Dutch flags. I sometimes think that if Canada was to ever qualify for this tournament again most the people here wouldn't know who to cheer for!

Jeff

I hope it's a good match but as they are both through, i think we'll see a pretty safe and easy game i hope i'am wrong.
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 02:27 PM UTC
Well guys as a New Zealander the best thing we like to see is our country kicking Australia's ass wether it be cricket,rugby,league,yachting,etc.However,when N.Z isn't in the equation,we'll support our ANZAC neighbours,the Aussies.So for today,i hope the boys kiçk Brazil's ass,and even if the going gets tough i know they won't back down.GO AUSTRALIA!!! Kiwi
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 03:35 PM UTC
Well, it was a draw, but one which smelt of victory. U.S.A were impressive against the grossly over-rated Italians. The former looked serious (for the first time in the World Cup) the latter, for what they are - Gucci wearing clowns.... Pitiful rubbish on the part of the a team which beautifully reflects its national league - over-hyped defensive garbage....

If anyone has any illusions about what Brazil will do today against Australia, please lose them now. Brazil has the imperative to wipe Australia off the map. Anything less than 5 or six goals will be considered a failure....
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 03:40 PM UTC
TURN IT UP JIM...Australia,2-1 mate!! :-)
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 08:12 AM UTC
Well folks I tried to follow the World Cup this weekend. I figured that watching my home team USA vs Italy would at least give me something to root for even though I know nothing about the sport.

I still don't understand the sport. I think part of the problem is that the announcers assume that the only Americans to watch the game are soccer fans and already understand the game. They just started announcing the game without really explaining anything to the viewer. If they even gave me a clue as to what was happening maybe it wouldn't look like a bunch of people running around. The action seemed slow and only a dozen shots on goal.

I think I might appreciate the game more if I watched with someone who could explain it.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I still don't understand the sport. I think part of the problem is that the announcers assume that the only Americans to watch the game are soccer fans and already understand the game.

Whether or not you know anything about the game, just watch Argentina in action.....and marvel.

Yeah, it pains me to say that, but after the Italy debacle (and France where were you last night???) what else is there to say?
Zacman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well folks I tried to follow the World Cup this weekend. I figured that watching my home team USA vs Italy would at least give me something to root for even though I know nothing about the sport.

I still don't understand the sport. I think part of the problem is that the announcers assume that the only Americans to watch the game are soccer fans and already understand the game. They just started announcing the game without really explaining anything to the viewer. If they even gave me a clue as to what was happening maybe it wouldn't look like a bunch of people running around. The action seemed slow and only a dozen shots on goal.

I think I might appreciate the game more if I watched with someone who could explain it.

It's pretty self explanitior, if they spent to much time explaining everything, the game would be over and you would still be trying to explain the first half!
Zacman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 01:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, it was a draw, but one which smelt of victory. U.S.A were impressive against the grossly over-rated Italians. The former looked serious (for the first time in the World Cup) the latter, for what they are - Gucci wearing clowns.... Pitiful rubbish on the part of the a team which beautifully reflects its national league - over-hyped defensive garbage....

If anyone has any illusions about what Brazil will do today against Australia, please lose them now. Brazil has the imperative to wipe Australia off the map. Anything less than 5 or six goals will be considered a failure....

They may have had a better result if they didn't play ronaldo, you can see the influence Nike has over the team, just shows how strong Brazil is, getting a result nursing Ronaldo!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 03:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They may have had a better result if they didn't play ronaldo, you can see the influence Nike has over the team, just shows how strong Brazil is, getting a result nursing Ronaldo!

Never a truer word was spoken.. Nike are doing what they did before - insisting that Ronaldo McDonald plays in every game. Alternatively it could be another of the tournament sponsors: the one that sells Junk Food....Jim
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 06:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I still don't understand the sport. I think part of the problem is that the announcers assume that the only Americans to watch the game are soccer fans and already understand the game.

Of course they expect that you know the basics. You don't hear NFL commentators explaining the game to us Europeans, do you?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 10:20 PM UTC
Well I don't know how they do the announcing over in Europe but here in the US even in a game as large as the Super Bowl they always break down the good plays with the electronic chalk board or 100 different camera angles with the announcer telling exactly what happened on that play.

Last nights Basketball finals all the strategy and positioning were clearly detailed by the announcers with the chalkboard and then using stop and go video they outline what happened and toss in a breakdown of several options besides what took place.

While I was watching the World Cup the announcers were only saying John passes to Joe who heads the ball to Jack.... oooh he kicked the ball over the net.

All I can say is I gave it try when the World Cup actually came to my city back in the 80s, and I've tried to follow it every 4 years since.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 10:40 PM UTC
Yeah,

I have no clue why someone gets a yellow card, red card or a foul. I suppose I could Google it but that would take too much effort....

Shaun

/Off to Google
//Not really that lazy

EDIT: I am back and more confused than ever
" An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player, in the opinion of the referee, commits any of the following three offences:

* plays in a dangerous manner
* impedes the progress of an opponent
* prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
* commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or dismiss a player"

Looks like there are four listed...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I don't know how they do the announcing over in Europe but here in the US even in a game as large as the Super Bowl they always break down the good plays with the electronic chalk board or 100 different camera angles with the announcer telling exactly what happened on that play.

The assumption is that if you follow football here, you actually have a fair amount what is happening. The only things which are announced are substitutions (3 per team during the game). The commentaries during the NBA, NHL or NFL are little more than commercial breaks dressed-up as information. One referee, two linesmen, a fourth referee and another 75,000 referees in the stands...

Also the structure in the U.S. is different with the U.S. 'Franchise' system not meaning that commercial investment is any less. My own team (F.C. Barcelona) has just signed it's T.V. rights for the next 8 years at around $175 Million a YEAR. Without even taking into account sponsorship from BIG companies such as Nike, Coca-Cola the money that football moves is MUCH larger than NBA, NFL or NHL put together - Global vs. Domestic audiences...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While I was watching the World Cup the announcers were only saying John passes to Joe who heads the ball to Jack.... oooh he kicked the ball over the net.

Must be REAL crap commentators :-)
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 03:35 AM UTC
I am going to watch the next US round vs Ghana(sp?) with my next door neighbor's kid who plays high school soccer. Guess I will get a crash course on soccer.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here in Canada we are priviledged to get British commentary to our World Cup games, and as Americans and Canadians, we have to understand that the Brits play by play commentary in games is polar opposite to what we are used to (NHL, NBA, NFL). The British have a minimalistic approach to commentary in the games, letting the match play out with little verbal interference...... quite enjoyable!

Frank
Zacman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Last nights Basketball finals all the strategy and positioning were clearly detailed by the announcers with the chalkboard and then using stop and go video they outline what happened and toss in a breakdown of several options besides what took place.

All I can say is I gave it try when the World Cup actually came to my city back in the 80s, and I've tried to follow it every 4 years since.

What don't you understand, and we'll help! It more like basketball except no hands!