TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
IL2 FB Armorama Arena
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi there

I have a couple of questions after my look in on Saturday:

Is refueling and rearming automatic if you land safely at one of your side's bases? If not, how do you do it?

How do you change channel on the radio so only your team-mates can hear you? I only seemed to be able to broadcast on "all".

All the best

Rowan
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

I have a couple of questions after my look in on Saturday:

Is refueling and rearming automatic if you land safely at one of your side's bases? If not, how do you do it?

How do you change channel on the radio so only your team-mates can hear you? I only seemed to be able to broadcast on "all".

All the best

Rowan

Refueling and rearming is not automatic. You have to land, wait for the plane to stop, and then press esc and select refly.

You can change the chat channel with up and down keys. Type the message, hit enter, select the right channel and hit enter again.

Cheers
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 06:35 AM UTC
TheRudy,
I saw your name on the players list but without a server name next to it? In the game I saw messages from other players but not you. I must admit that I was a bit surprised that I didn't see/"hear" you in there. I was quite content to fly around and get the "lay of the land" but I was itching to have fight, not that I would expect to win...........yet I saw the briefing but didn't take a note of the co-ordinates, can it be accessed while in the game?

Last night I joined another game, this one hade icons off, although tags(?) were on. This made it a lot harder to find your opponent and you have to constantly scan the skies. It is far better this way, in my opinion. This game also had unlimited fuel and ammo. This was good for practicing deflection shooting. I was killing everything using a Hurricane IIc, the guy running the surver was using a P-51, he eventually changed to a Hurricane when I kept blowing him outa the sky. No map icons is a good way to defeat the head on attack as well, if you spot the enemy first you can get into a good attack position, get in close and ratatatatatatatat..........no more P-51

I'm going to look for a similar game tonight, I'm getting addicted

Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC
Thanks Eetu

I think it'll be some time before I can play again, but at least I'll know how to use the radio properly and re-arm - assuming I can ever get back to base in one piece! :-) :-)

All the best

Rowan
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 3,040 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hi guys!

I hope I can afford it to play online friday and saturday. I'm at my girl's place so I will bring the game and joystick with me and will install it on her computer. :-)

No, I'm not addicted lol.

Jurjen
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 08:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm going to look for a similar game tonight, I'm getting addicted

Aaah! That's why this month's MOM vote thread as no pictures! :-)

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 08:30 AM UTC
Just a thought...

Would it p*ss anybody off if I only joined in for short sessions? I'd love to play, but my back just gets too painful after 15-20 minutes - if it would mess up the game to have someone ducking in and out for short bursts I'm happy to stay grounded.

All the best

Rowan
TheRudy
Visit this Community
Slovenia
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

TheRudy,
I saw your name on the players list but without a server name next to it? In the game I saw messages from other players but not you. I must admit that I was a bit surprised that I didn't see/"hear" you in there. I was quite content to fly around and get the "lay of the land" but I was itching to have fight, not that I would expect to win...........yet I saw the briefing but didn't take a note of the co-ordinates, can it be accessed while in the game?

Ups yeah, Sunday, on Sunday i went playing a bit later... On Saturday i was playing from 20:00... Sorry, misread that...

Coords, nope, make screenshot or write them down and go to mission builder and check out where's that...

Only thing you need to know about this map is that you always spawn on bottom airfields (blue and red), we always fly from there and the action is between airfields mostly in the valley area between the red balloons and big hill in the middle...

pm me next time!

TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 04:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a thought...

Would it p*ss anybody off if I only joined in for short sessions? I'd love to play, but my back just gets too painful after 15-20 minutes - if it would mess up the game to have someone ducking in and out for short bursts I'm happy to stay grounded.

All the best

Rowan

I don't know why this should be a problem...

Jean-Luc
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 05:38 PM UTC
Hi Guys... I got a question..

How will I know whether I'm out of Fuel & Ammo?? Is there some kind of notification or something?

TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys... I got a question..

How will I know whether I'm out of Fuel & Ammo?? Is there some kind of notification or something?

Hi umustb!

You will know when you hit the trigger and nothing happens! For the fuel, well, when the motor stops and the plane starts to fall! :-)

More seriously, I don't think there is an indicator for the ammo level (or I'm not aware of). You can try a plane, shoot and count until you have nothing left to know the potential available. Usually you only shoot short bursts while in combat... 1 or 2 seconds!
For the fuel, there must be an indicator on the panel instruments (locations may change) and even a light indicator! But I never noticed since I never ran out of fuel in the Armorama Arena except when I was hit. And I usually fly with 50% fuel only...

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 02:10 AM UTC
Ammo counters: Bf-109's (except for E-variants) and Fw-190 have ammo counters. Finnish brewsters have ammo counters for the fuselage machine guns.
Here you can find several guides, including a guide that has ammo counts and shooting times for all planes (load-out guide).

As Tedmamere pointed out, having less fuel is better in MP. You probably won't be flying long enough to run out of fuel. Less fuel makes your plane more manouverable as well. 50 or 75% should be enough. (I usually fly with 75% and have never run out of fuel)

TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As Tedmamere pointed out, having less fuel is better in MP. You probably won't be flying long enough to run out of fuel. Less fuel makes your plane more manouverable as well. 50 or 75% should be enough. (I usually fly with 75% and have never run out of fuel)

Hi Eetu!

I think we should not reveal our combat secrets that easily! :-)

Jean-Luc

P.S. Do you have more than that... I won't tell to the others!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No Rowan, not a problem to me, just get in when you can. I'll switch sides, if necessary, to even things up. A few 20mm cannon shells in the back armour might do your back the world of good :-)

I had another go at the full difficulty and actually fired at a couple of enemy. It's good, you have to really keep a look out and identify the enemy. I picked 'em up when they were attacking my airfield by following the ack ack. I'm off there later I am addicted.
I also tried a couple of other games but compared to the full difficulty, and the big-A game they were pretty cr*p.
See you Friday and Saturday for some more killing
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 08:57 AM UTC
Cheers Jean-Luc and Mal

I'll definitely try to join on Saturday (I don't get home from work early enough for the Friday evening session). Inevitably, I'll be rubbish compared with the rest of you, but if I get in the odd lucky shot I'll be happy. Mal's back treatment sounds a bit too painful; I'm not sure my physio would approve! :-)

Will you be playing a "historical" scenario or just a free-for-all with everyone flying whatever they like?

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:00 AM UTC
Hi all!

I suggest we play on "scenario" Saturday as we are usually more players. I would go for a simple mission objective: destroy the enemy's main airfield!
The reds would have to destroy "Wagner Stadt" (there are some Me 323 Gigant there!) and the Blues "Wadimkino" (I think there is at least one Pe-8 on the parking)

I suggest Red plays only with allied aircrafts and Blue with axis ones. Every tactic should be allowed: attacking the enemy's airfield but also protecting his own (or both if possible), flying in groups or alone, fighters for strafing AA tanks and bombers for bigger targets etc...

What do you think? Should we give it a try? If yes, should we play with or without icones?

Jean-Luc

EDIT: if someone joins later or for a couple of minutes only, he can participate as well... playing on "scenario" is not about which side will win, but rather a way to know what to do and where the action is!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 06:09 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

That sounds fun - I'll have to learn how to strafe, because I presume the AA fire will be fairly intense.

So long as everyone's flying Axis or Allied a/c as appropriate, not having icons will force us to brush up on our recognition skills! Is it something you can simply turn on again if it's not working out?

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll have to learn how to strafe, because I presume the AA fire will be fairly intense.

The AA fire on those "main" airfields is indeed intense! I tried to strafe them but was always shot down. I think attacking alone is impossible! Team work is required to divert the Flak but this is already a tactical point of view...

Quoted Text

So long as everyone's flying Axis or Allied a/c as appropriate, not having icons will force us to brush up on our recognition skills! Is it something you can simply turn on again if it's not working out?

I didn't tried to change the settings while in the middle of a session. I think it's impossible but I can try next time... but I'm confident a "scenario" session will work. Like Mal said, you can figure out where the enemy is by watching your own AA shooting at him. You can also expect to see enemy aircraft above their main airfield to protect it. And if you don't see your oponent, I think he will see you! So I don't believe someone will fly around without seeing action...
Scenario will also force us to use more team radio messages and elaborate tactics...

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:23 PM UTC
Sounds good. Unfortunately I'm not 100% sure I can participate this time. I don't know if I can catch the flight tomorrow and on Saturday there's my aunt's birthday. I hope I can make it. See you on the skies.
procrazzy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 01:17 AM UTC
Sadly i wil not be able to fight on saturday because i am going to germany to visit my gradma, but hopefully i will be able to fight on friday. Low and fast is the key for straffing. I think on the last game i streaffed merlin a coupple of times, unsuccsesfully.
ps anyone know anything good in the Colonge-Bonn area?

cheers

Philip
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi all!

here are two pictures of the main airfields of the Armorama Arena map: first is Wadimkino with 20 AA locations and second Wagner Stadt with 16 AA locations. I may have forgotten on or two but it seems there is more defense on the soviet airfield... but the german one is surrounded by mountains!
To sum up, it will be a hard job to eliminate them all!

Here are the "guidelines" for the next sessions:
- Blue side can only use planes used by Axis forces.
- Red side can only use planes used by Allies.
- Goal is to destroy the maximum targets on the enemy's main airfield (see above).
- Planes can take of and land on any airfield on the map.
- Icones will be disabled during flight and on map.

Any other suggestion?

Jean-Luc
procrazzy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 03:26 AM UTC
I am going on the blues. Blue team, we need a battle plan! pm me for ideas. btw i cant do saturday so we will need another person.

cheers

Philip
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi all!

Armorama server will be available for two sessions this week-end:

Friday evening
UK = 6:00 - 8:00 PM
France and Netherlands = 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Finland = 8:00 - 10:00 PM
Singapore = 1:00 - 3:00 AM Saturday
Texas = 12:00 - 14:00 PM
Massachusets = 13:00 - 15:00 PM

AND

Saturday Afternoon
UK = 1:00 - 3:00 PM
France and Netherlands = 2:00 - 4:00 PM
Finland = 3:00 - 5:00 PM
Singapore = 20:00 - 22:00 PM
Texas = 7:00 - 9:00 AM
Massachusets = 8:00 - 10:00 AM

I will probably start the sessions one hour earlier so everyone can make some test flights and talk about tactics with his comrads... New this week-end is that we will play on scenario!

The server will run probably longer so everybody can have more fun! The timeframes listed above should be seen as "war" time. No hostilities until declaration of war! But you can make reconnaissance flights...

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 08:16 AM UTC
Great stuff, like it. I have had a couple more full realism games and I believe it is far better not having icons, you really have to watch your back, plus you can sneak up on the enemy, much more realistic.
I'm not sure we should choose sides, if some don't make it sides might be unfairly matched. I'm quite happy to fly on the side with least players though. I usually choose the side that has the least players, when I log on. I'm happy either way though
Mal
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 3,040 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 03:40 AM UTC
whooei, The game is working at my girl's place so I'm able to come online this evening. Now I really need to go to practise bombing. Tot zo!