TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
IL2 FB Armorama Arena
TheRudy
Visit this Community
Slovenia
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 03:20 AM UTC
Well i just have to reply (Hey EasyOff ).

Voice comms:
1. TeamSpeak2 is completly FREE!
2. TeamSpeak2 will work on a Celeron 500
3. TS2 is NOT heavy on the system
4. Installing it is as easy as installing the game
5. All you need is 1 cheap mic
6. If you can't buy a cheap mic, you can still listen on TS2, can't talk tho :-)

It helps A LOT if you use voice cooms. EasyOff can confirm that as i saved his ass last night thanks to TS2. Remember EO, "pull back", KABUM he was dead

Of course voice comms are not necesary if you guys are not flying on real settings where you don't have map icons, labels and so on... but even so it will help you a lot!

Cheating messages are what EO said, its something about bandwidth...

Landing: turn off engine (completly!!! not just power to 0) like a few metters before you touch the runway, it will drop your speed really fast!
Optimal speed for most planes when landing is something around 200km/h (don't know how many mph is that).

PS: you are welcome to join my TS and the server that has real settings on!

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi TheRudy, welcome to Armorama
I'm interested in this, I'm not that good with the realistic settings, but I'm getting better. I'm practicing on a single player game, it's frustrating at times but is great when you pull off a great manouvre and down the enemy with a long range deflection shot. I'm also trying to work out which of the aircraft suit me best.
Is it my lowly "ping" rate that makes me appear slow?
Mal
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi The Rudy!

Welcome to a new member! You can join the Armorama Circus as well now!

Jean-Luc
Crackshot53
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 143 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 12:10 PM UTC
Three questions- where can i get IL 2 FB, do you need a joystick, and should i just use my armorama name for a account name?
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Three questions- where can i get IL 2 FB, do you need a joystick, and should i just use my armorama name for a account name?

Hi Roger..

I'll answer the 2 questions. The one on where to get IL 2 FB... maybe the rest can help (suggest any online store, etc..)

Joystick - I use a mouse and keyboard to fly the plane. I would recommend getting one though. But it's personal preference.

Account name - It's up to you to decide whether to use your armorama account name or to sign up for another account name.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 06:33 PM UTC
Hi Roger!

I suppose you already noticed, but the first post of this thread explains how to get connected...

For the game, you need IL2 Forgotten Battles. Not the previous IL2 or the later Pacific Fighters. It's available in online stores and should be also available in the low price area in any game shop. The game is a few years old now... but still cool to play with!

I would recommend you to use a joystick! you can play with mouse and keyboard (like umustb is doing) but it's definitely easier with a joystick. If you want to buy one, try to find one with throttle...

For the account name it's up to you... some have the same as on Armorama, others not. I'll post a list of all "regular" players names here when we have reached the 10 mark. We still need to enlist some players to achieve that so I would be happy to have you with us!

Jean-Luc
TheRudy
Visit this Community
Slovenia
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm interested in this, I'm not that good with the realistic settings, but I'm getting better. I'm practicing on a single player game, it's frustrating at times but is great when you pull off a great manouvre and down the enemy with a long range deflection shot. I'm also trying to work out which of the aircraft suit me best.
Is it my lowly "ping" rate that makes me appear slow?
Mal

Hey

I'm glad you like full realism, not a lot of people that do like it. Be sure to stop by on server during weekend! Owner of the server puts it online for whole weekend and sometimes during week also. Server is located in Hungary and pings are really nice even for US pilots. And buy mic if you don't have it yet, you can join my TS server and we'll fly together. If you don't have mic or not planning on buying it you can still join TS and use is as radio. Plus i'm 100% sure EasyOff will join us too
He's getting more and more addicted to the real settings

info on the server on other things: http://web.axelero.hu/rnzoli/IL2DSC/intro.html

Hoping you guys will soon change your server to full realism so that i can join you
Unfortunatelly i don't fly on servers that are not set on full realism, used to but its just such a bigger challenge flying on real not to mention the fun. Hey i'm weird, i like games that are really hard to play heh
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:46 AM UTC
Hi TheRudy!

This is my opinion about real settings, microphone etc...

I would be happy to use them as they are certainly the best way to have total immersion in the game... BUT the Armorama Arena is (correct me if i'm wrong guys) the "rendez-vous" of beginners and occasional players! We are ALL complete newbies in online flying! I'm almost sure a lot of potential players won't give the Armorama Arena a try if we do play with full realism and micro! Some of us are playing with keyboard and mouse and I don't think they would last very long in an arena full of confirmed IL2 online players with maximum difficulty. Full realism = complex engine management! You would have to adjust the propellers on certain planes and deal with 5 stage turbochargers on others... and landing is still a challenge for most of us

The Armorama Arena is in the early stage. Last week we had our first real online experience as we were 6 players! I think we should allow ourselves to take our time to learn the game and let the Armorama Arena grow a little bit before thinking of full realism...

This is my opinion on that matter, but if you want me to set full realism the next time, I'll do it...

Jean-Luc
TheRudy
Visit this Community
Slovenia
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:42 AM UTC
I completly agree with you on all points, i'm just pointing out that you are making too big fuss about real settings and that you are picking on some settings like complex engine managment and so on...
Its not a monster, if you don't know how to use it, then don't use it.

Basically i just want to save you from learning il2 twice which will happen if you learn how you currently do. I've done the same thing.

I started learning by playing on non-real settings servers and had a lot of fun!
Then one day the only server available for Pacific Fighters was real settings server and i tried it. What happened? I didn't know what to do, how to fly and so on... So i started from scratch again and after a while playing on real settings gave me so much more. Fun was tripled, adrenaline also and so on...

I can understand that you guys are just casual players and all that and also hard to convince but if any of you wants to give it a try, i'm here, contact me and i'll guide you, show you the map and so on... again, real settings are not scary thing, if you love the game you'll love real settings and you'll get addicted. That i can bet whatever you want The whole beauty of this game is shown when you start flying on real settings. Learning is the key...

Plus TS is also not a monster, again you guys are making too big fuss about it yet nobody tried it yet...

See ya up in the skies
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC
Okay, anyone who have been having connection difficulties, this is what Ubi's tech support has to say.

After numerous posts about playing with the same game, same version, having you PC plugged in etc, I finally got real technical answers:

"To play the game together, the same setup has to be used. Ensure that all players only have Forgotten Battles installed and patched with the previously mentioned patch. Ensure that all firewalls from all users have the following ports open:

The ports required for ubi.com are 80, 6667, 40000-42000

80: Usual Web Port
6667: Usual Chat Port
40000-42000: Required Port for ubi.com

IL2: 21000 by default, but modifiable."
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hi Eetu!

Nice one! Good to have those technical informations!

Now you can tell me where in hell I can find those settings in my PC!? :-) I'm a Mac user and only have a PC for "less serious" occupations like gaming. How can I check these settings and How can I change them if needed (I use XP). Thanks Eetu...

I have a suggestion about the server thing. I always made the server so far and I noticed it didn't worked when others tried. This is not normal. I won't be able to do it every time and the Armorama Arena shouldn't rely on me only as I had "technical" problems with my web connection that could happen again. It would be good if others could give it a try.
The following sounds crazy but maybe it can be an explanation: I noticed, when I launch the server in the ubi room, a pop up menu is appearing with "Armorama" already written, it may be possible the word Armorama is now given to my account and no one else can use it. If someone wants to make the server, I suggest he should use another name: Armorama1 for example... better, I would give a number to each of us so we could know who is currently hosting the Armorama Arena.
Exemple: Armorama1 for Emeritus, Armorama2 for Holdfast, Armorama3 for EasyOff etc...

Still no opinions on full realism settings?

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 05:34 AM UTC
I think the settings we're using now are perfectly fine.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the settings we're using now are perfectly fine.

Ok! We are two on that one... anybody else with an opinion?

Jean-Luc
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
Here is one pilot that needs to go back to the training area. As such I have been doing my practices and hope to rejoin you all in the sky above rather than the dirt below.

I was laughing so hard to myself last week when I could not keep it aloft. Had a blast nonetheless.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 09:23 AM UTC
This is great I'm going to be much happier come Friday
As far as realism settings go I fully appreciate what TheRuby is saying and I intend to try his server. I feel that we should keep the settings as they are on the Armorama game, for now, those of us that want to join TheRudy and get the adrenalin rush when we feel the need ("the need for speed" ) can do so. The Armorama server can be "up graded" when and if there is a need. We will, I feel, discourage new flyers if settings are to high, when we have established a regular clientel then the question can be asked again.
Mal
TheRudy
Visit this Community
Slovenia
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is great I'm going to be much happier come Friday
As far as realism settings go I fully appreciate what TheRuby is saying and I intend to try his server.

Not my server
I'm running TS server only. IL2 server belongs to Hungarian guy called rnzoli.

Quoted Text

I feel that we should keep the settings as they are on the Armorama game, for now, those of us that want to join TheRudy and get the adrenalin rush when we feel the need ("the need for speed" ) can do so.

Indeed. Never said that you should change it now to real settings, just gave you some tips about learning on real or non-real

Anyway, weekend is getting closer and closer so in case anyone wants to try on real settings my Ubi name is TheRudy (yes its so different than the one i'm using here )
send me PM or something and i'll be your tour guide oh and i'll show you how to install/use TS, peace of cake heh

erm where's EasyOff these days?
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hiya TheRudy,
I'm still alive, i've just been spending most of the week in bed. I live in tremendous pain and it seems to get worse with bad weather. This week its been raining and somewhat cold. I've turned on TS a few times, but no one else came on and tried to email you but I must have copied the address wrong because Yahoo sent it back undeliverable.

The wife is home today so I'll be "snuggling" on the sofa watching rented DVD's after I'll hop in the tub for a hot hot bath in epsom salts, muscle relaxers, aroma theropy stuff, bath oil beads and a big cocktail to try and take the edge off of the pain. It worked last night pretty good so I'll do that again today, it was the first time in weeks that I got 6 hours sleep straight through.

I managed to get some flying time in, a couple hours a day, but didn't see anyone that I knew. I hope to catch up with you folks later!

John
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi all!

I will do the Armorama server for two sessions this week-end:

Friday evening
UK = 6:00 - 8:00 PM
France and Netherlands = 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Finland = 8:00 - 10:00 PM
Singapore = 1:00 - 3:00 AM Saturday
Texas = 12:00 - 14:00 PM
Massachusets = 13:00 - 15:00 PM

AND

Saturday Afternoon
UK = 1:00 - 3:00 PM
France and Netherlands = 2:00 - 4:00 PM
Finland = 3:00 - 5:00 PM
Singapore = 20:00 - 22:00 PM
Texas = 7:00 - 9:00 AM
Massachusets = 8:00 - 10:00 AM

I will probably start the sessions one hour earlier so everyone can make some test flights... and stop one hour later so everybody can have more fun! So the timeframes listed above should be seen as the "combat" time

Last week I tried to fly the TB3 to do some bomb runs. I think I will try it again this time... so expect to see some "heavies" flying around.

Jean-Luc
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:38 AM UTC
Will try to make it Jean Luc.
TheRudy
Visit this Community
Slovenia
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:50 AM UTC
Sorry about not being on TS, been busy, my boss went on holiday and he put a lot of stuff on me...

Anyway, i sent you PM, check it

Now its time for bed!
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 02:42 PM UTC
That will be great.. Thanks Jean-Luc.

I'll be there for the Saturday Afternoon session.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 07:38 PM UTC
I'll be there, workshop building permitting
I think I know what I've been doing wrong, ref the "radio", but if I keep disapearing, at first, I still haven't sussed it. If I don't answer then that is also the case. Now I'm off to get on with my workshop
Mal
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 02:26 AM UTC
Its 10:24 a.m. I just rolled out of bed, I was up all night. I ran down stairs hopefully to catch you guys and there's no sign of anyone being on. *sigh* Sorry I missed it.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its 10:24 a.m. I just rolled out of bed, I was up all night. I ran down stairs hopefully to catch you guys and there's no sign of anyone being on. *sigh* Sorry I missed it.

No worries, you haven't missed anything yet. It's 15 minutes to 6pm here in Finland. Two hours to go.

Edit: I'm going out for dinner so I may miss a little from the beginning. See you in the skies tonight.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi all!

I will launch the server in a few minutes...

I'll check back later to see if there are messages here...

Jean-Luc