Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
OFFICIAL: Osprey Duel Campaign
611_sqd
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 04:43 PM UTC
Interesting idea this. The prop goes in the front and the top of the cowling is missing so the stud can be placed on the prop from behind. Then the cowling goes on. It didnt fit as well as I wanted, but I thought it was a interesting idea. The brown is on. I need to learn how to fill and sand better, much better. Its my biggest problem right now.

Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 - 04:16 PM UTC
I'm getting close to finishing the Albatros
Guns and exhaust in place

Decals on and drying

I'm going to have to work on getting the propeller properly centred. You can see that it's decidedly eccentric.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 09:55 AM UTC
Great work so far everyone! Jessi, that's odd, wonder what happened to that spinner?

I've actually made some relative progress on my 1/32 Albatros V:

Some touch-up and then gloss coat. I used the Tamiya colors recommended by Wingnut and think it looks pretty cool. We'll see when the decals go on!

Michael
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 01:44 PM UTC
I think it's caused by the hole the propeller is supposed to glue into being off-centre. I'll just need to reposition it and glue firmly so it doesn't get knocked out.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 12:58 PM UTC
After much cursing and frustration the upper wing is in place.

Now on to rigging and touch-up paint.
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hi all
as promised a Spitfire for the 109

I cant remember the last time I built an Airfix Spit,oh how they have changed,full cockpit,recessed panel lines,flat spot tyres and a superb decal sheet,all makes it into a sweet little build the only down side ...£5.99 I think the last one I built was 17p!!!!
Hope you like
Andy
611_sqd
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 02:28 PM UTC
I never met a Spit I didn't like Nice job on the Spit mate.

More done on the bird. I sprayed the brown, but as my dad hand painted all the kits he made for me 30 years ago I thought I'd try my hand at it. While I am not disappointed I have new found respect for his patience and modelling skill. I love hand painting figures, but i'll spray planes.

Started some weathering. I need to add a wash and then some pigments. Its getting there.

Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 10:54 AM UTC
The Baron's Albatros has crashed. I don't know yet whether it's salvagable
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 11:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Baron's Albatros has crashed. I don't know yet whether it's salvagable

Curse you Snoopy!

Good luck Jessica, if anyone can do it you can!

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC
NOTICE EVERYONE: RULE CHANGE PROPOSAL! PLEASE READ!

Aaron,

That's a nice looking P-40 to go with your Ki.43! However, it brings up a small problem. Rule 5 of the campaign states (in part): "Models must depict subjects of the type, time and place specified in the chosen book." The Duel title on the P-40 vs Ki.43 covers the period 1944-45, after the Tomahawk and AVG were history.

This was at least partially my fault, I should have caught it when you introduced the kit rather than waiting until you got as far as you have. Sorry about that! It does lead to a dilemma, however, to which I see three possible solutions:

1. Disqualify your model. I HATE this option and in an executive decision reject it outright.
B. Ignore rule 5 in your build since it took me so long to alert you. This is the safe option so I don't like it.
iii. Throw caution to the winds and delete rule 5 for everyone. This would open the Campaign to anyone who wants to build a duel as represented by the books. Want to do a Spit IX vs. Bf 109G rather than be tied to 1940? Go for it!

I am NOT one of those campaign guys who establish iron clad rules and then stick to them come hell or high water. I want this to be FUN! However, given this is a fairly major rule change proposal half way through the Campaign, I'd like to ask what the membership thinks. Does anyone have any objections to opening things up this way? Speak now or forever hold your kvetch!

Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 7,078 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 04:44 AM UTC
Have been thinking about this, firstly as this was brought up when the build was well under way, it should be permitted. For future reference, maybe modify rule 5 to allow models that fit the title and met in combat, so if it is "Spitfire Vs ME109 then MkIX vs Gustav should be as valid as MKII Vs Emil. If the title is more specific then the models have to follow variant mentioned.

In my MTB vs EBoat build, I have not picked the main focus british boat in the book, the 1943 type 72' vosper, with 4 18" tubes, although this type in that layout were far from, the most numerous MTBs, The most common short MTB's were the 1941/42 models with 2 21" tubes and these were the more regular opponents of the s100 class, and do appear, although somewhat breifly in the book, which is why I have gon for that boat in build

Sorry if I am complicating matters further, but I think that would be fair.

Si
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 11:15 AM UTC
Si,

No worries about complicating things, that's why I asked!

Some of the Osprey books are more specific in the main title(e.g. Hurricane I vs. Bf 110) others limit things in the subtitle (Mirage III vs MiG-21: Six Day War, 1967) and some not particularly specific at all (M60 vs. T-62: Cold War Combatants 1956-92). Don't get me wrong, I fully understand why they do it this way; some books simply need to be more limited to fit the format! But the "duels" they reference may have had much longer time periods (such as the aforementioned Mirage vs. MiG-21 battles which went from at least '64-'74, and P-40s vs. Ki.43s which shot it out through most of the war, not just '44-'45.)

Should we limit it to just the main title? So no Mirage V vs. MiG-21 or Hurricane Mk.II vs. Bf 110G, but a late Spit vs. a late 109 are OK because the main title doesn't specify, only the subtitle. I like your idea of making the specific models in the same time and place so they might actually have met in combat, though.

Good lord, now I'VE made it too complicated! What I really want to do is open up the campaign a bit so no one feels too restricted.

Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 07:25 AM UTC
Micheal, Limiting rule 5 to the main tittle is what I was getting at, although not expalinig it quite so simply, That sounds about right to me.

Si
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Micheal, Limiting rule 5 to the main tittle is what I was getting at, although not expalinig it quite so simply, That sounds about right to me.

Si

Si,

Thanks for making sense of my mishmash! How does that sound to everyone else, should I just make the change?

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 10:45 AM UTC
OK, given the overwhelming response (thanks Simon! ) I am officially changing rule 5 to read:

Models must depict subjects of the type specified in the chosen book’s main title (though they do not need to be subjects specifically pictured in the book nor does the modeler need to prove that they actually met in combat nor do they have to comply exactly with the book’s subtitle, if any). For instance, the models could be any King Tiger and IS-2 that might realistically have met in combat, not just those from Operation Solstice; also any Confederate Ironclad vs. Union Ironclad, not just Virginia and Monitor. But no SPAD VII vs. Fokker D.VII as the main title specifically says “SPAD XIII vs. Fokker D.VII.

Hope that's relatively clear and opens things up a bit for those who want to spread out some!

Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 07:17 AM UTC
You are welcome Michael.

Unfortunately my pair will have a slight hiaitus, we are having some work done on the house, complete rewiring, replastering (most of downstairs incl the hallway & stairs) and complete redecoration, this is the current state of my workshop, the "only room not being touched", just used for storrage.

should have time to finish after this is finnished, (end october)

Si
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 01:24 PM UTC
After much angst (and a pilfered wheel from a kit in the build pile), the Baron's Albatros has been returned to service. This concludes half of my duel pair.

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 01:42 PM UTC
Excellent Jessie! Well done!

Michael
Wolfsangel
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 06:47 AM UTC
Hey Jessie, That's a nice piece. Good choice on the color scheme.
Andy, That Spitfire is weathered perfectly.
Hey Michael,
I figured that the need to start figuring out what I'm going to build would be now considering the actual completion rate I'm at lately.
After reading the thread I started to get excited.
After reading the current rule change, I'm going to assume that I shouldn't assume and just ask:
Would it be in the parameters to finish a Tamiya Spitfire Mk. V and Tamiya BF 109e-4?
Thanks,
Charlie
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 07:49 AM UTC
Charlie,

I think the short answer is yes, as long as they're about the same time frame and could have met in combat.

Mike
Wolfsangel
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 01:13 PM UTC
Thanks Mike,
North Africa it is! Now all I have to do is find the kits.
Thanks,
Charlie
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 1,732 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 03:08 AM UTC
After returning from holidays in France I will start my campaign build next week. And here are the kits in question:
First we have a Curtiss Tomahawk Mk. II from No. 112 Sqn, flown by PltOff Jack Bartle, Egypt Oct. 1941 (decals from the kit) and the other one is a Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-7 from I./JG 27, flown by Oberleutnant Ludwig Franzisket, Lybia Sept. 1941 (decals from Eagle Strike). So both guys might even met in the air!

Happy modelling!
Torsten
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 06:33 AM UTC
First progress pics from my dual/duel combo:
Jack's office ....

.... and Ludwig's office

..... both fighters are close to get some paint .....

More will follow soon ....
Torsten
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 07:30 AM UTC
Torsten,

Your pictures didn't come through, and I know I'd really like to see your work!

Michael
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 08:04 AM UTC
I noticed that too, Michael. It took ages to upload the pics to photobucket and then they told me, that there's maintenance on the side. But the pics are there ..... So let's wait until tomorrow. If the pics don't show then, I will upload them again.

Torsten