_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
OFFICIAL: Osprey Duel Campaign
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,168 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 12:11 AM UTC
Congrats, D.!
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 02:04 AM UTC
Mazel Tov Damien!

Sven, I am forced to admit that with two weeks to go there's no way I'm going to finish the Centurion. I'm really sorry to leave you hanging but, under the rules, you certainly get a ribbon anyway.

I was and am further along with the 1/48 P-40 to go with my earlier completed Ki-43 so I'm going to turn my attention back to that so I don't miss a ribbon in my own campaign. We'll see...

Michael
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
entire network: 1,202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 02:20 AM UTC
Howdy Michael:
How about completing the armor for Duel II? I think that would be a cool idea, even allowing kits that were not completed for the first Duel Campaign. I've enjoyed the contest and will post my final pic in the gallery before the deadline. I've ordered a IJN Destroyer vs US Destroyer Osprey Campaign series book just in case there's a future contest.
Thanks,
Don Smith "Lakota"
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 01:09 PM UTC
The basic colours are on now.

Next I make the struts look good, then get the upper wing on.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 12:52 AM UTC
Here we go !

More soon.

Cheers, D
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,917 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hey, congrats, D! This is the time of year for a speed build, right? Welcome back to the site, and welcome in general to your newest!
-Sean H.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 11:41 AM UTC
I've been a bit busy with the oils and enamels.
The woodgrain is on the propeller

And the struts. I've also coerced the exhaust pipes into place, mostly. The fit is not what you'd call spectacularly good. I gave the nose a pin wash to generally dirty it up a bit and pop out the detail.

The next task is to mess about with some photo-etch and then get that top wing in place.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 04:29 PM UTC
As promised

Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
entire network: 1,202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 07:31 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
Here's my completed build. The E-Boat and MTB are from the 1/700 Skywave kit.

Take care,
Don "Lakota"
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:21 AM UTC
Nice work Don!

I'm about to apply the first top color to the P-40. I have next week off of work, so I WILL finish on time!

Michael
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 01:54 PM UTC
I admit defeat. Special Hobby's SPAD looks good in the box, but it fights you every step of the way. The cockpit twisted itself just as the superglue set, the cabane struts are far too short (or possibly it's the wing struts which are far too long) so the wing sits way above them. I've broken the upper wing off 5 times, and every time I do, I break something else with it.

It hasn't yet suffered a mid-air collision with a wall, but I'm only milimetres away from giving it its final flight.

Since I only got half the requisite number of models completed for this campaign I only qualify for half a ribbon
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 04:19 PM UTC
Jessica, that's harsh. Now you know what makes Special Hobby special!

I'm still making headway, steadily toward the 31st. Is Jesper's FW-190 pilot getting nervous?
P51_cockpitpaint
P51_panel
The Tamiya kit is a joy to build, best fit I've ever found in 1/72 scale, and there's far more detail in the cockpit than will ever be visible after it's built (but that beats the opposite, I guess. ). I added only masking tape seat belts.
Here she's about ready for paint (and the moment when I start to ruin a perfectly fine build!? ).
P51_ReadyForPaint
Cheers!
-Sean H.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 02:37 AM UTC
Jessica, That's a drag! It was looking good, I'm sorry to hear it went awry.

Sean, Very nice so far, those Tamiya kits are the ones to get. Have faith in your painting, the Force will be with you!

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 12:12 PM UTC
Progress on the 1/48 Hasegawa P-40E:

Years ago I mixed up batches of DuPont equivalent Dark Green and Dark Earth. I don't even remember where the formulas came from, though I believe they were traceable to Dana Bell. I sure don't remember what those formulas were! However, somehow some of both colors survived so I used them and Tamiya Sky Grey for the underside. Now I just need to gloss coat and start on the decals. I WILL make it!!

Michael
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 11:18 PM UTC
Some great last minute progress being made, aren't holidays wonderful !?!

This kit is going together very well, only some minor adjustments and the occasional swipe with the trusty Xacto required. I forgot to get some pics of the office before I buttoned it up, so I will try to get a couple of outside shots tomorrow.

Still on target to finish by the deadline.

Cheers, D
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 07:15 AM UTC
And I made it!

And here they are together:

Those are the Hasegawa 1/48 Ki43I in the markings of Sgt. Satoshi Anabuki of the 50th Sentai, 3rd Chutai and the Hasegawa 1/48 P-40E in the markings of Maj. Edward Rector, 23rd FG, 76th FS both CBI late 1942 - early '43. Interestingly Bruce Holloway also flew this P-40 so we've got the high scoring Oscar ace and high scoring American P-40 ace represented (the highest scoring P-40 ace was Killer Caldwell of the desert air force). Both great kits and I'm glad to finish them in time.

Anyone else close to done? Time's running out!

Michael
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 05:44 PM UTC
As we approach the finish of this excellent campaign idea, here's where I've been the past few days...
PaintedBlueNose
Seeing that paint was tear-jerking. I'm humming every patriotic tune I know as I review my own work on this most American of all aircraft. I've chosen to finish this one in the scheme of the "Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney".
Here are the final parts in the mad scramble to the finish...
FinalScramble
All paint and parts on...
AllPartsAndPaintOn
And now that the decals are on (I couldn't resist using all of the kill markings), the final pics in the gallery...
OspreyDuelCampaign_P51final1
OspreyDuelCampaign_P51final2
Being paired with SgtJKJ (Jesper) committed me to finish this campaign, and I'm happy to have done so. I'm equally happy to have had a reason to build this kit. As a youngster, I had a 1/48 (Monogram?) P51D in natural metal hanging from my bedroom ceiling, and I love having one again. I also can't say enough how enjoyably this Tamiya kit went together.
Thanks to all!
-Sean H.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 01:35 AM UTC
Michael, great work boss, your duelling pair look great together. As an aside, were you aware that VonCuda (Hermon Rector) is Ed Rector's nephew? Hermon has been MIA for a couple of years now due to the ill health of his wife.

Sean, beautiful clean build on "Petie" as well, congrats on getting finished to keep Jesper honest up there !

I'm running it right down to the wire, paint is on all major components now, and the canopy is masked and ready.

Barring any major catastrophe I think I will sneak home in time.

Cheers, D
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 03:22 AM UTC
Sean: Excellent work! An aircraft collection without a Mustang just ain't right, happy to be the catalyst for you.

Damien: Almost there my friend! I had no idea about Herman's relation, though I did know he'd been out of touch for a while. My thoughts are with him.

With about 2 days to go, I believe the following members have qualified by posting in the gallery:

Sean: P-51
Jesper: Fw190
Don: E-boat vs MTB
Torsten: P-40 vs Bf109
Andy: Spit vs Bf109
Paul: Hurri vs Bf110
Me: P-40 vs Ki43

Jessi: half done with her Albatros
Guido: half done with his Spit

Sven: even though I never got the Centurion done (again, sorry about that) your T-55 qualifies you under the rules but you have to post a pic of it in the gallery.

If I left anyone out, please let me know. And let's cheer on those who can still make it: 2 more days folks, you can do it!!

Michael
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,168 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 07:02 AM UTC
Unfortunately there's no chance for me to get my 109 ready... or started for that matter. 2 Magazine comission builds and articles had to take precidence over the campain. However, I enjoyed participating thoroughly and I hope to be more successful on the next Duel campaign, which I think was a great inspiration and should be repeated!

It was an honour flying with you, ladies and gentlemen!
Happy New Year!
Guido
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 05:46 PM UTC
Running right to the wire here guys, painted and ready for final assembly of bits and bobs and detail paint, then decals. A few unexpected visitors here on new years eve threw me out a bit, but I will battle on.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 09:03 AM UTC
Finished ! Well, for the purposes of this Campaign I'm calling it finished. It still needs some weathering and flat coat, and a couple of the decals need another dose of softener, but I got it done a couple of hours after the dealine last night. I throw myself to the mercy of the leader and beg forgiveness for my tardiness.

Thanks for a great Campaign Michael, and well done to all contributors. Looking forward to "Duel II."

Cheers, D
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Finished ! Well, for the purposes of this Campaign I'm calling it finished. It still needs some weathering and flat coat, and a couple of the decals need another dose of softener, but I got it done a couple of hours after the dealine last night. I throw myself to the mercy of the leader and beg forgiveness for my tardiness.

Cheers, D

Damian,

You are granted dispensation.

Great campaign everyone, thanks for participating! I'll award ribbons as soon as I'm able. Sven, please don't forget to post your great T-55 in the gallery so I can include you!

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is my completed kit of the Otaki Bf 109 G6. Their idf loop is nuts and decided not to place it on the kit. Some planes did not have this dorsal attachment. The place represents JG 5 pilot I believe was Wiessnthall could be wrong. Misplaced the information for the pilot. My build was in conjunction with the P-47. Due hope that my companion is able to finish his build. Enjoy. Have enjoyed the models depicted here.

Trevor,

Though it looks like the P-47 didn't get done, under the rules you are entitled to a ribbon since you did get your 109 done. However, you need to post a shot in the gallery to qualify, so don't forget! I'm not sure how much longer they'll keep it open for posting.

Everyone,

I believe I've awarded everyone else who qualified their ribbons. If you think you should have got one but didn't, drop me a line. And again, great work everyone!

Michael
 _GOTOTOP