Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Official EOD Campaign thread
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 05:19 PM UTC
The thread may change, but I would dare say we are still some sick puppies.

My Tenax/aluminum mesh experiment failed miserably today, as it popped out when I was taking the body off the chassis. As I didn't get in from work until nearly 10PM Central time, I will have to dash to the hobby shop tomorrow during lunch and pick up some brass. I needed some to redo my front gun anyways, from brass, so it's not like a special trip or anything...

I decided I needed more to rely on than a single gun, so I added a little firepower up top:

Still mucking around with the interior, and decided the rockets up top needed some type of fire control system, so I added in a panel base. Too tired from job travel to try tonight, but will attempt tomorrow. Here's where I added it:

Bob,

Can't wait to see the camo on your guys when it's done...

DEATH TO THE UNDEAD ZOMBIE HORDE

Wait... that made NO sense whatsoever... oh well.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 06:16 PM UTC
[quote] DEATH TO THE UNDEAD ZOMBIE HORDE [quote]

Matt, it makes perfect sense to me you still need to shoot them in that slimey brain to kill em.

I like your vehicle, got a name for it yet?

Bob
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 06:27 PM UTC
I was thinking "Snoopy" with the recon abilities. I have a second project with this going on that makes the name more appropriate.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 07:44 PM UTC
Matt,
I LIKE THAT NAME "Snoopy" it is then. "Tinker Bell" , Captain Hook", and "Wendy" would be proud to recon with your vhicle it can be on point

Bob
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking "Snoopy" with the recon abilities. I have a second project with this going on that makes the name more appropriate.

Snoopy it is then !
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 12:47 AM UTC
Damian, you are just tooooo! funny. I can remember xatching Snoopy and the Red Baron on saturdays with my brother.

Bob
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 02:43 AM UTC
I am going to spend part of tonight going through my old decals to see if I can find one with Snoopy on it. Otherwise, it looks like I may be handpainting the ol' beagle on the driver's side of the body (think nose art for a fast mover). Unless anybody may happen to have some Met Life NASCAR decals lying around...

EDIT:

Found one from TwoBobs Decals that depicts this aircraft in 1/72 scale...

BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 03:43 AM UTC
Another thing. I was driving home last night out in the sticks of southwestern Minnesota, and saw a pickup hauling a pontoon boat around. Got me to thinking, how hard would it be to scratch one of those up (the boat) in 1/35 scale and throw some river rats in it? Couple of twin .50 mounts, couple of other weapons stations, big twin outboard engines...I know Bluestab built his pirate raider PBR, but man that would be really fun. I even have a couple of propeller blades from a doomed Italeri DUKW.

I gotta stop. I spend so much time futzing and redoing the interior of Snoopy that I may not even get that buttoned up and finished on time.

Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 123 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 07:58 AM UTC
Matt,
The PBR kit hull ended up being a bit smaller than I had expected. And for some reason I thought the engine deck was separate. The plan was to make a fully enclosed upper deck and have it as a gunboat with provisions to carry troops and "liberated" loot. But the smaller than expected size and that raised engine deck threw my plans off.

I'm still not super happy with it even after reworking it a few times. I can't risk doing what I really want to do. That's doing a major rework; stretching the hull and reworking the engines. A year or so from now I may try to rework it.

The pontoon boat idea is nice. You could have a range of options for it. Mobile trader. Armed cargo hauler. Troop transporter. Imagine one sporting a pair of Bofors from a Tamiya Duster. I tried to fit one on the PBR.

Other ideas for any later comers....

A common theme in zombie films is the group of survivors holed up, fending off the undead horde.

An alternate plan I played with was a science team wearing bio-hazard gear entering a quarantine area. I actually had some of the figures done from another project.

I also have the Trumpy PMC sets that I toyed around with some ideas. Maybe a rescue team trying to rescue a scientist that might hold the cure/antidote, vaccine.

Another vehicle that would make a nice testbed would be a LVTP-7. It's big, amphibious, and stands really tall out of the reach of the undead masses.
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 04:18 PM UTC
I just checked the campaigns page and it looks like we got the campaign extended until the end of December... Damian, is that official now?

I hope so, as Snoopy is fast approaching a dead end with me. NOTHING I do on the interior seems to be working out right, and I completely destroyed inside of the top of the body with a new bottle of ZAP CA "Extra Thin".
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 04:48 PM UTC
Matt,
It is time to walk away for a day, do something else like a movie, restaurant, or just some thing entierly different. Come back and things will look like you can do what you wanted or go in another direction. Happens to me way too often. Snoopy can still do point for the team

Bob
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 04:59 PM UTC
Snoopy will indeed live, just not inside the body of a Ferrari F430. Remember the issues with the aluminum? Well I got the bright idea of using brass rod (that I picked up today) and the aluminum mesh and solder them together. Now, I've been 2M certified in the Navy and an electronics technician for the better part of 20 years, so I know how to operate a soldering iron.

What FAILED me was that I wasn't thinking about the metal conducting the heat. I have a smaller 25W iron, and seemed to take forever to melt the silver solder to get them all nice and snug. Meanwhile, the head dissipated straight through the body, and the heat from the iron warped the side of the car... mind you I was working on the INSIDE of the car body, with the body resting on the roof.

One of those days. Luckily I have some more affordable options in the stash for the everyday zombie recon driver...
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 05:31 PM UTC
Mat,
Do not 86 that body it may be used for something else.

Bob
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mat,
Do not 86 that body it may be used for something else.

Bob

Um... OK. For the record I did NOT deep six the kit. However, when I went home for lunch couldn't find it, or any of the trash around my normally "pristine" man cave. I called the wife at work (she leaves after me), and she said "Oh, you told me last night about how you really screwed that kit up, and today is trash day, so I grabbed everything in the trash downstairs and took it out."

Needless to say, by the time I got home, the trash was already picked up and most of the kit and the stuff was gone. Grrr.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 11:37 AM UTC
Matt,
Now that is just not nice to put the blame on the wife. Some one else is probably hatching an idea on what to do with your old Ferrari F430. It may come back to haunt SNOOPY while on patrol.

Bob
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 11:49 AM UTC
If a sanitation worker is rooting through my trash and pulls that out, then I think he would be a definite "modelaholic".

Anyways, my fast mover choices are as follows:

1/25 AMT/Ertl 1995 Toyota Supra (have two of these)
1/25 Revell 2006 Mustang GT
1/25 Revell 1969 Shelby GT-500
1/25 Revell 2005 Corvette C6-R
1/25 Revell 2000 #6 Valvoline Ford Taurus (Mark Martin)
1/24 Tamiya Nismo GT-R (R34)

The one's I'm not touching are the Budweiser #8 Dale Earnhardt Jr and the 2001 #3 Dale Earnhardt Daytona 500 car.

Intriguing choices I know...
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If a sanitation worker is rooting through my trash and pulls that out, then I think he would be a definite "modelaholic".

Anyways, my fast mover choices are as follows:

1/25 AMT/Ertl 1995 Toyota Supra (have two of these)
1/25 Revell 2006 Mustang GT
1/25 Revell 1969 Shelby GT-500
1/25 Revell 2005 Corvette C6-R
1/25 Revell 2000 #6 Valvoline Ford Taurus (Mark Martin)
1/24 Tamiya Nismo GT-R (R34)

The one's I'm not touching are the Budweiser #8 Dale Earnhardt Jr and the 2001 #3 Dale Earnhardt Daytona 500 car.

Intriguing choices I know...

What no PICKUP TRUCKS to work with Hey they are the back bone of all appocolyptic societies.

Bob
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 12:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just checked the campaigns page and it looks like we got the campaign extended until the end of December... Damian, is that official now?

Yep, we are all go until New Years Eve !!

Let's post lots of crazy stuff now and get a few more entries up !

Cheers, D
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What no PICKUP TRUCKS to work with Hey they are the back bone of all appocolyptic societies.

Bob

What part of "fast mover" equates to a pickup truck. I suppose if I could find a 1989 Chevy 454SS, but other than that? Porsche Cayenne?
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bob

What part of "fast mover" equates to a pickup truck. I suppose if I could find a 1989 Chevy 454SS, but other than that? Porsche Cayenne?

Matt, you must be a CITY boy. Come on down (to TEXAS where i am from) and I will show you how fast a p/u can go carry a load and not bottom out like a sports mobile will besides I like a little room in my vehicle to be able to carry several weapons, granades, and ammo. So what can you carry in your little get away car. My vehicles are not constructied to get away but to plow into and destroy anything in the way You know those little cars look pretty but hey its only skin deep and after one scratch they are no longer pretty not like a p/u they are always business and that has its own beauty. OK! said nuff your turn to drop on me I am drawing out my masking and this is gonna look really COOL even if I do say so myself. (humility is not my strong suit) but when after a long day of killin green or what ever ghoulies I need ot vent .

Bob
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 01:34 PM UTC
Bob,

I was raised in San Antonio and a proud graduate of Texas A&M University. If I know one thing, it's pickup trucks...

Yes, you can plow into anything, but my job isn't to plow, but to tell you where the ghoulies are to GO PLOW. If necessary, I will fight, but I prefer to have them look at nothing but tail lights, to quote a Clint Black song...
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob,

I was raised in San Antonio and a proud graduate of Texas A&M University. If I know one thing, it's pickup trucks...

Yes, you can plow into anything, but my job isn't to plow, but to tell you where the ghoulies are to GO PLOW. If necessary, I will fight, but I prefer to have them look at nothing but tail lights, to quote a Clint Black song...

MATT,
WELL SAID, you find em and I will fight em natural cycle point man . Ok! Aussie, no words from your section? What is goin on with that flame spittin machine you are gettin ready to come and follow up Matts, rec. & my intrusion, and your extermination procedure is needed. We gotta keep goin until the horde is demolish and at the same time recruitment continues

PS I forgot Justins Hell Machine Matt, your have company in rec. duties.

Bob
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 03:09 PM UTC
This one is for you Bruce.

Step. 1 first mask.

End of Days TINKER BELL
End of Days TINKER BELL
End of Days TINKER BELL
End of Days TINKER BELL

Next: XF 65 then some more masking before XF 63.

My question to you is will have trouble taking the masking off.

Bob
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 03:14 PM UTC
Bob,

Nice! Splinter camo? That's gonna look sweet.

Check your inbox, gotta response for ya!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 03:38 PM UTC
Read it,and approve. See ya at the starting line. Now if I can get Bruce to let me know how much trouble I am in for with the 2nd mask, paint, then the unmask.

Ok! D: holding the line while you tend to the 1000 campaigns that you are in and have a hand in.

Bob