Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Official EOD Campaign thread
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 06:52 PM UTC
A little update tonight:

Engine finished, just waiting to spray the lower frame tomorrow and drop her in:

Dashboard area :

Cut out the area that was occupied by the glove box (really, are we gonna be keeping the owner's manuals with zombies all around) so I could install my scratchbuilt battery rack. Wish I could say I scratched the batteries, but I had 'em in my spares box. Although they are a really good size for some of the comm gear...

I also removed all the radio detail, drilled out a hole to accept my laptop swing arm contraption (still in the drawing phase) and six receptacles for what will ultimately be the A/V sensor package on the roof (just using some .022in solder to see how it fits. I may end up redoing this part as I get farther along.

Business End:

Well I found some spare rocket packs off a 1/48 aircraft (I think) that looked about right, so I built a telescoping base, launcher rails and electronic guidance package (underneath the tubes) and wired it up with some .022 solder to see if I like the way it drapes. I have the electronics going into the brace support between the two rocket packs so I can elevate and retract the launcher, and have a 360 degree field of fire. Well almost, as I'm not launching these things THROUGH the car; I have some defensive stuff in mind for later. The launcher isn't glued in, as I have to fill and sand the tubes and then figure out the right angle to look really mean.

Thanks for looking and I'll have more zombie destroying goodness in tomorrow's update!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 07:27 PM UTC
Matt, nice set of fuzzy dice. I want em to put inside Captain Hook, trade ya for some protection from those two leaders BTW since Hermon and Damian cannot play nice I will take control of THOSE KEYS. so hand em over NOW.

Bob
randyd
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 241 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 01:52 AM UTC

Hey Matt, Good start on your project Every Italian sports car should come with a set of rocket lauchers!!

Randy
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 123 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 04:37 AM UTC
Matt, Nice looking start. I'm curious what your going to do with the front for protection.

Update...I'm working on my Pibber's crew figures right now. It's proving to be taking more time to make them look un-military like in appearance. I want these guys to look like pirates basically, with a mixture of gear and clothing. Once the crew is done I'll finish up the boat (weathering & stowage).

As you asked, I took some pictures of those FZRT figures and vehicles to put up. However, I'm having to use my phone at the moment and they really came out badly. The light gray uniforms and black gear make for lighting issues.You increase the light to show the gear details and you washout the uniforms. Tone it down for the uniforms and the gear looks like black blobs.I'll try to get some better ones...maybe using softer light and my camera.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 05:33 AM UTC
Alex, I like your figures and the water Rat is looking like we need more to patrol the infested river banks.

Bob
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 05:04 AM UTC
Where is everybody?? It is starting to get lonely out here. But at least I found one last haven of nutrition!!

Just joking around. I haven't posted in awhile so I thought I would do this. There are some really cool builds going on.

Do leave me out here alone too much longer!!

Randy
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 06:03 AM UTC
HARV,

Trying to get you some help out there, but my employees are being eaten faster than I can replace them.

But fear not, work on the as-yet-unnamed car continues:

Aluminum plating for the undercarriage and rear stowage area. Never know if those zombies could figure out IEDs, ya know.

Roof mounted sensor package. So far it's a knock off of the AN/SAY-1 TISS (Thermal Imaging Sight System) that I deployed with in 1998 and 2001 in the Persian Gulf. I added a pair of directional microphones (the white sticks) along with an A/V junction box to send everything down to the comm center underneath.

I believe I may have solved my zombie clearing issues with my front bumper, as well as those pesky zombies attempting to eat my brains through the drivers side door. I just have to figure out the best way to mount each of them to the car body. They are made from old gears I stripped out of a long dead R/C car, but the tube and frame are home-made.

Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 06:10 AM UTC
Really COOL photo Harv.

Bob
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 03:28 PM UTC
Man, everytime I check this thread I realize how much more work I have ahead of me. I gotta get back to my truck.

Hermon
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 08:41 PM UTC
Ok folks hold onto your diapers. "TINKER BELL" will be finished by monday and "CAPTAIN HOOK" 3/4 done. These were sweet build experiances for me, I guess the juices flowed and not out of my ears Since I went on the stupid campaign craze and enlisted in just about every one. Now that my faculties are working better and sat down to reorganize my schedule. First things first, EOD has priority Calling all STUDS who are not afraid to battle some limp green oozing things.

Roll call:

Hermon
Damian
Justin
Randy D
Matt
GAB
HARV
OD (Bob)
Charlie
Gary
Guy
Tony
Lewis
KoSprueOne
Adam
john
Clint
Big rip 74 (Bob)

In those words of our fearless leader (VonCuda) and his corhort (AussieReg)

"Ok ladies it is time to get back into the saddle and give the leadership a boost and support their efforts in stemming this evil horde tide that is coming down out of the darkness"

I Bigrip74 pledge to do me best to eradicate the civilian centers of zombies and to make it a better place to live. And to enlist as many others to do the same

Bob
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 04:21 PM UTC
Update: Done with boat and basically finished with crew. I've been a bit under the weather but I should be working up stowage and their plundered goods in the next few days. Weathering and some pics and it should be a done deal. I think I still have some in-process pix on my camera. I might try to throw those some of those up in the next few days.

I haven't done much of any building on anything. I have a Tiger Campaign entry that just sits there on my desk staring at me with its. I still haven't even decided which vehicle I am going with. Maybe that legendary 'Unidentified Unit" Man those guys were everywhere.

Anyway, I put stowage off because it's probably going to be some work. I really don't want to stick with just a stack of soda and bottled water. I have some ideas though.

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 05:26 PM UTC
Okay an update of sorts. Here's the crew...minus the bow gunner. All figures come from the spares box. Lot's of parts taken from the old Dragon Nam Series of Figures, mainly because of the variety of harnesses used in those sets.

First up are two members of the away team. They are a little fuzzy. I'm still having trouble getting the light just right. The one guy is holding a Soviet sniper rifle...for variety. His machete is scratched. I think he's mostly based on the US Army Sniper set from Dragon. His arms are actually from the kit's grenade launcher guy. He's supposed to look like he's cleaning his weapon. His partner's legs are also from that figure.

These three include (left to right) an away team member, the vessel's captain, and the away team leader. The captain (center) is based on the kit figure and given a new head. The hat is a modified German officer's hat. The Away Team Leader (right) is decked out as heavy infantry with an assault vest.

These four are all away team members. Again, a mixture of figure parts and equipment from the spares. The two seated figures use Tamiya legs, from their M3A2 haltrack and M113 kits. The torsos are from Dragon Nam figure sets.
vertigo
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 388 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 03:48 AM UTC
So I have an idea for a little vehicle.

In the event of an apocalyptic event it's all to likely you'll end up in a bunker taking shelter from zombiesnuclear winterraptureetc.

Rather than risk yourself going out to search for supplies or survivors wouldn't it be handy if you could send out a robotic scout vehicle?

Light, fast, well armed it can be your eyes, ears and big gun all from the comfort of your 'lavish' bunker.

What do you guys think?
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 04:04 AM UTC
Logan,
That sounds like a good idea to me.

Bob
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 03:20 PM UTC
like a hellish #5 lol
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 04:00 PM UTC
Man, I thought things were quite on here but apparently I needed to re-subscribe.

Look at all the badass things that have been done!

BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 06:25 PM UTC
6/21/11 Update:

Now that I finally have the right page, here are some updates. A bit of trivia: K&S aluminum tubing and mesh will NOT work with normal CA type glues. I had to use Tenax to melt the plastic to the aluminum mesh, and ended up having to use styrene rod and paint the parts I originally wanted aluminum. Bah. I know my CA glue is ok, because it sure glued my fingers together with no issues at all.

On to the pics!

I had to cut a large portion of the wheel wells away in order to have the tires fit, and had to enlarge the wheel well openings on the body of the car. It's not perfect, but I got them very close in size...

Since the battery "tower" pokes out from the mesh, I needed something to protect the back so I found this old fender piece in the spares box. Painted up it looks OK.

Some side, front and rear shots:

Here's my substituted aluminum rod. Painted up, it looks pretty close to the original thing.

That's about all for tonight...
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 06:38 PM UTC
Nice job, Matt! I'm now in the right thread again... haha.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 07:06 PM UTC
HEY! Matt, I see the gatlin gun (nice) but do I make out a granade launcher and an infrared detecter? Hey nice job so far. I finally decided on a color scheme for CAPTAIN HOOK AND TINKER BELL. A tri-color grey of XF-66, XF-65, XF-63 all free hand a/b. I do not think that I want to mask like "BRUCE D" did on his awsome "SCAVENGER" I still love your paint job Bruce. Photos to follow of my attempts on the painting.

Bob
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 07:32 PM UTC
On top of the roof is my FLIR turret and directional microphones. I'm not really liking the setup with the microphones so I may go in a different direction. The hollowed out section in the hood hasn't got a purpose yet but I may find something for that spot as well.

Really looking forward to seeing some camo on the Capt and Tink. I have no idea what I'm doing for this car. Leaning towards faded red with some dents and rust.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 11:20 AM UTC
Nice job on the car Matt.

My boat of doom is finished. I just have to get some pictures together to put up. How many do I upload to the campaign gallery? 2-3? I'll post more in the thread of course.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 01:57 PM UTC
@ GAB: here is the link to the campaign page, but it is not specific on how many photos to post. I would say at least (1).

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=397

Bob
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hey guys, the Campaign Gallery is HERE , and you only need to post 1 or 2 photo's there to qualify. I'm sure we'd all love to see lots of photo's here in the thread, so don't be shy !!

Cheers, D
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 03:33 PM UTC
I sprayed the first of the tri-color camo on my "TINKER BELL" a coat of XF-66 to be followed by some FUTURE then I will mask using Bruce's (meaty-hellhound) method on his "SCAVENGER" a coat of XF-65 then the same as before followed by some XF-63. Finally weathering that will be appropriate for the APPOCOLYPSE type vehicles.

"TINKER BELL"
EOD "TINKER BELL"
EOD "TINKER BELL"
EOD "TINKER BELL"

OH! As Hermon had pointed out. I will shoot off my front tires the first time that I fired off the lower rockets. So the rockets have a telesoping launching system now.

OK! Bruce I have been giving 'CAPTAIN HOOK" the once over for the same camo as "TINKER BELL" but it is looking pretty tough.

Photobucket

I just re-read the original thread not this OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN THREAD and we were a bunch of sick individuals

Bob
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 04:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just re-read the original thread not this OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN THREAD and we were a bunch of sick individuals
Bob

Come on now Bob, admit it, YOU LOVE IT !!!

Very nice work on your dynamic duo there as well, the telescoping launch rails will help avoid some self-administered pain as well, make sure that they are fully functional before you let fly mate !!

I'm glad that this Campaign has found some new life, it's a blast guys !!

Cheers, D