Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
End of Days Scratchbuild Campaign
Loobes
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:37 AM UTC
Not really a scratchbuilder, but here I am. My idea is to take a modern day US APC, lop the rear end off (just behind the hatches), the scratch a sand bag wall of some sorts, machine gun at the top. Then for the rear I was goind to attach the rear "trailer" of a military truck, possibly big foot. Also the tracks of the APC were going to be replace by wheels to match truck. Then the trailer will have a nuclear rocket in it and somewhere there will be a T-34 Rocket laucher (like the ones the shermans carried in WW2). The rocket and rocket laucher will be scratched. then the rest of the deck will be kitted out with stingers, anti-tank weapons, WW2 and modern guns and stowage. The whole thing will be in black with some white USA decals and a little caption saying "Zombie Killin' Division" and a zombie head decal. Weathering will be done some that the thing looks extremely beaten up, lots of rust and mud, maybe some driedblood...
oh and maybe a few scarred to hell crew.
Cheers

Loobes
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hi Loobes, welcome to the club! Sounds like a good plan to me. As far as I'm concerned, black is the requisite colour for vehicles of this nature... it just seems weird to me to have it painted in anything else (although I suppose au naturale would be OK as well... naked/rusted metal).
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 11:33 AM UTC
Loobes, excellent plan! I do have to warn you though, once you start scratchbuilding it becomes addictive and you'll never look at a kit the same way agian.
As Adam said, welcome to the club.

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:39 PM UTC
check it out....

Ahhh the ideas just keep coming.....

Build On,
Justin
P.s.thanks for the link some cool stuff there
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:00 PM UTC
Cool....the new Mexican lowrider main battle tank. Hope it's got hydrolics built in....one fat zombie lays down in front of it and you're stuck.

No, seriously it's way bada**. BTW, what is it? Movie prop?

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:29 PM UTC
Its the APV from aliens watch the movie yesterday for the 100th or something like that time and thought now thats a zombie killer only with a lot more weapons.@#$% if it can stop acid blooded aliens it can kill zombies.as for the fat@#$ zombie it ways 28tons dont think it would be a problem.

Build On,
Justin
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 10:27 PM UTC
Seen some german zombie heads. I think the zombies need a bit of bite back.
A zombie king tiger with zombie crew. No Romeroesque staggering zombies, these
guys are controlled by the statis perserved brain of the furhrer himself.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seen some german zombie heads. I think the zombies need a bit of bite back.
A zombie king tiger with zombie crew. No Romeroesque staggering zombies, these
guys are controlled by the statis perserved brain of the furhrer himself.

And the shells are like the Paint shells in Kelly's Heroes, only full of infected Zombie goo. I suppose somebody had to take the side of the poor misunderstood undead. It's Ok JP, we'll still talk to you !!

Cheers, D
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 02:33 AM UTC
Gnnnrrruuugghhh!
I need to get plenty of fig painting practice and so those airfix WW2 brits I got for chrimbo will get converted to zombies (blue skin rather than green for me) and see how they look in 1/72.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hehehe, I've just shown my wife (The Minister for War and Finance) this thread and explained to her what we are trying to accomplish. She just walked away giggling, shaking her head and mumbling something incomprehensible about "grown men or kids?"

Mission Accomplished !!

Cheers, D

They do that alot with us...don't they?!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:36 AM UTC
I going to do my usual and waaaay overthink this thru...what is the most effective way to kill the zombies...chain gun - nah, just makes two halves of a zombie. Cannons - nah, just makes lil zombie pieces...flame thrower - now that's the ticket! Nothing left but bones! So my rig will employ flame throwers as the most effective means of dismantling the threatening zombie hoard.

I'm still toying with a 1/32 heavily modified all wheel drive semi and trailer, but the more I walk past the two dragon wagons I have, the more I'm thinking of modding those together...hmmmm, decisions, decisions!
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 03:27 AM UTC
OK I'm all set.
Benson Gyro plans: check.
German Zombies on order: check.
Oodles of brass rod: check.
Bunch of other figs for conversion to zombie horde: Check
Poor pilot fig to be mauled: check
Sick mind: check

So here is the storyboard. Gyro is mobbed by horde on while taking off.
Couple of Zeds grab hold and the gyro takes off, more Zeds grab their buddies.
Cue some loss of rotting limbs out of sockets. Some arms getting pulled out from
Zeds on the ground, some legs or whole lower torsos from those hanging onto the gyro.
and a mass of zeds swarming the base. This will let me put the gyro in mid air connected to the ground by zeds.
The best painted zeds will get to eat the pilot.

The gyro will be a jet propelled one, like this

When do we start

adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When do we start

Not soon enough! Especially for a monstrosity like this.
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice choice Tony. If ya can't roll over them, just out run em'.

So, what kind of mods youi got in mind? Stationary flamers on those big honkin' fenders would look cool....along with a weight reduction program.

Hermon

I am thinking I may lower it. Put some kind of gun system from the trunk/back seat area. I like the flame thrower idea on the fenders.

Tony
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 12:11 PM UTC
Jaypee, I'm glad you chose to stick with the gyro. Air support is always needed with zombies on the loose.

Tony the gun system in the back sounds good. Reminds me of Blackwaters "Mamba" team hate truck.....an SUV with a rear facing seat mounted in the back with about 10 different machineguns stacked around it. Pretty cooool stuff.

Hermon
Loobes
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 09:58 PM UTC
Anybody know were I can get some shotguns from? Perfect zombie mashing weapons
party smileys
ashamed smileys
adult smileys
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 03:19 AM UTC
Nazi zombies arrived in the post today. Very nicely done. But I dont think they will be the right scale for my pilot. Ah well, Giant nazi zombies still works.
phanthomred4
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 158 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 05:35 AM UTC
Hi gang. Well after an odd sign-in bit of TRAUMA/DRAMA! I have arrived and greetings. After getting with Cuhail and Voncuda, i want to enlist. Photos will have go disposible/ hard copy then to flash drive. To the meat of the matter, hum. 1/48 scale F-35 derivative? 1/35 scale 4 vehicle recon section (scavanger), 1/25 scale 666 style armored Hell rod? I've got all that in some form of 10- 30% started condtion. The reason I mentioned all that, is because, is an old project okay for regurgitation.I need feedback and the unit will be a texas based provisional/ independent outfit. Tell me what ya think!
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 10:00 AM UTC
Welcome to the big happy disfunctional family Michael.

You can build anything you want, even if it was "started" years ago, no proplem. Only two concession. One is that there has to be some amount of scratchbuilding to it. The amount of scratchbuilding is entirely up to you since it's your project. Two is that it has to fit the End of Days theme. Doesn't matter if the world is ending because of zombies, plague, aliens, etc. We just want to see some really grungy, up-armored, scrapped together, survival based stuff.

As far as your Texas based independant outfitt........that'll work fine. We in "Southern Command" will need someone to do the cooking for the real fighting men. Plus, after the zombies, aliens, and plague are done with.....you just KNOW we're gonna march North and show the Yankees a thing or two.

Remember, there are almost 8 months left BEFORE the campaign starts. So everybody use that time fine tuning your ideas and gathering up all the stuff you'll need to get the build underway when the time comes.

Hermon
phanthomred4
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 158 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 04:53 AM UTC
Cool! Ya'll will git mighty sick of beer and tamales . But I figure,what with pullin teeth and plantin potatos (scarffing-up guns, ammo, fuel and leaving thremo-nuclear calling cards), Ya'll be doing the MRE thang A lot, Guns-up! Michael
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 01:09 PM UTC
MRE....mostly-regurgitated-excrement

Hey, if anyone is interested, Southern Command will need a kind of a caged-in zombie prisoner truck to haul a few zombies back to headquarters for the doc's to experiment on. I'm just sayin'.....

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 04:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, if anyone is interested, Southern Command will need a kind of a caged-in zombie prisoner truck to haul a few zombies back to headquarters for the doc's to experiment on. I'm just sayin'.....
Hermon

Funny 'bout that, an idea was squirming around in my corrupted brain-box for a sick tandem cattle-trailer to be slung behind the Apocalyptebago and maybe an OS cannon to shoot a weighted net over the masses of undead. But I suppose that would lead to a crane arm to lift and drop the haul into the trailer......hmmm...... it just gets more betterer every day.

Cheers, D
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Funny 'bout that, an idea was squirming around in my corrupted brain-box for a sick tandem cattle-trailer to be slung behind the Apocalyptebago and maybe an OS cannon to shoot a weighted net over the masses of undead. But I suppose that would lead to a crane arm to lift and drop the haul into the trailer......hmmm...... it just gets more betterer every day.

Cheers, D

Ah man... I had nearly the same idea. I pictured a weighted cage with an open top that could brought around on a trailer. Using a crane arm it can be lifted off and set aside on the ground, and then using the same crane the undead can be picked up and dumped into the cage. Once the cage is packed full you bust out the flame throwers and make some zombie s'mores. My thinking was you could go out on regular missions like that to try and cull the population of wild undead.
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 12:24 AM UTC
Geeeez.....we must be all drinking the same damn kool-aid

Hermon

PS: Can you guys guess what I'm thinking NOW?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Geeeez.....we must be all drinking the same damn kool-aid

Hermon

PS: Can you guys guess what I'm thinking NOW?

"These pretzels are making me thirsty" ??

Ok maybe not