Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
What Is Your Profession?
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 282 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC
I have been a consultant food technologist for last 4 years. I have a degree in food technology (obviously!) and a business science diploma. I offer consultation services for the food industry in hygiene, production and quality.

I have also been a teacher (4years) and worked as general manager for a large food company for 7 years. Been modelling for 25 years.

My spouse and I also run an import company (books!).

Cheers
Garth

ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 05:57 AM UTC
I'm a Physician Assistant in the Canadian Navy. I just finished a tour of Afghanistan and just started my 29th year of service.
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:43 AM UTC
Wow, this really interesting,seeing what all you guys do to earn a crust!!
I'm a qualified plumber,sparks and a welder(hence the name Torchy)
Been with my present company for 15 years,1st 10 as a maintenance engineer,and the last 5 as a class 1 HGV driver.

Andy
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My "fancy" title at work is Arena Operator,what it means is I drive a Zamboni Ice resurfacer for a living and also make Ice at the rink on our Military Base.Before that I was a Combat Engineer for 21 years until I got a Med release in 2001 due to knees and hearing.

Interesting thread,pretty neat to see what folks do for a living.

Mark

YOU get to drive a Zamboni??????? You lucky beggar, you!!!! For me, like most Canadians, that's a dream come true!!!!!!!!!
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 03:54 AM UTC
I actually carry two Certificates of Qualification. I am a licenced automotive mechanic, a job which I did for 15 years.. Like Jeff(Rockfall) I served an 7000 hour and 6 month trade school aprenticeship.. Got 3000 hours knocked off for classes/training received in highschool.. Left that job in 2000 for a job in indutrial equipment repair. Work mostly on Toyota forklifts but will stick my head under the hood of just about anything.. A few years ago they decided that my new trade had to be "regulated", so anyone with at least two years experiance could challenge the exam. So now I carry my second Certificate of Qualification as a Powered Forklift Technician..

Good luck on your test Jeff.. im sure you will breeze through it..

Dave
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 12:23 AM UTC
When I left school in 87, I went to work in a local bakery where I did an apprenticeship to be a baker. The summer I completed it, the bakery closed down. #:-)
Laboured to plasterers for 9 months until I got the start in a local medical company making intraveneous tubing and spike sets. I worked as a machine operator a few years, moulding technician, and in the chem room mixing lubricants and sterilising the rubber parts!
The company was taken over by a Swedish medical company in 94, and I went to work for their Packaging development group for 3 months work-experience in 96. Im still there and have the title, engineer. I basically devise methods for evaluating plastic packaging, their welds and the production and quality process of them. Also handle any packaging related customer complaints.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also handle any packaging related customer complaints.

Just the man... please xplain the reason behind the plastic packaging of for example CD's....

:-) :-)

Me, I'm a HGV driver, and currently 'in charge' ( ) of the night shift that collects milk from farms. It's not as exciting as it sounds..

Cheers
Henk
Wolfe
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 07:24 AM UTC
I've been trained in Business management, didn't care for that and decided t switch to engineering. Now I love my job and like going to work!
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 08:41 AM UTC
Teamster!
Now LOL local 439!
Ron
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi,
I am a Security Officer for American Security of St Paul, MN. I am what is called a float officer, working when someone either needs a vacation, gets canned or does not show up. What is nice is that I get from 42 to 55 hours a week. Good extra cash for buying those new kits coming out. I have been doing this for a little over 3 years.

Chris
carleton
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 62 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hi Guys
Heavy duty mechanic here.Used to be fun before oil got so expensive and we went to 7 days a week and never seem to slow down. :-)
Braystaff
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 154 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 01:12 AM UTC
I buy all the printed forms and leaflets for large group of Hospitals in the North of England. I've been a print buyer for nearly 8 years now, working for some big household names and brands in the UK. It can get a bit sad when you walk into a shop and see a poster and say "I bought that!"
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 04:29 PM UTC
I'm a Corrections Officer (Jail Guard) at a Maximum Security Prison in Pa. We have about 2200 extremely lazy, crazy, hazy and constantly cranky childre.....uh...I mean Inmates! My mom always told me i'd end up in jail!

Jeff
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
entire network: 1,380 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
Hi everybody,

very interesting tread ! But OMG so much IT engineer !
I'm an in house counsel for IP rights/New technologies in a big media and Telecom french company called Vivendi Universal, for 4 years now. I also work in business affairs. I've studied law in Paris, and Partly in MOntreal. My wish is to work as a head of counterfeiting department for a luxe company, and travel around the world each week....

Best,
Julien
Wendy
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 260 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 08:17 PM UTC
I am without career. I have done everything from landscaping to snow removal to retail to working at an ice rink (free ice time!) Recently I've had some commissions to paint wargaming figs and such and just finished working for the season - now I can say I've mowed in the snow. When I grow up (pretty soon), I will be a stay at home mom who homeschools and paints on commission.

Cheers,
Wendy
:-)8
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 09:42 AM UTC
During the day, I'm a third year mechanical engineering student at UW-Milwaukee. By night, I work as a part time operations supervisor at a UPS hub facility in SE Wisconsin. In my free time, I build and race small scale baja vehicles for the BAJA SAE competition sponsored by the Society of Automotive Engineers. My ultimate goal is to start my own race team and work my way up to either F1/Champ Car, American Le Mans, or Trophy Truck Baja.
Kyle
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 340 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 01:28 PM UTC
I am an analytical chemist working for a Pharmaceutical company making cancer treatment drugs. I test the product to make sure it is safe for use.

In previous careers I have been a pension actuary (give me some rough data and I can tell you how long you will live ), and before that I was a telephone repairman.

Someday I hope to be independently wealthy and never work again.

Sean
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,699 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 01:35 PM UTC
I am a carpenter,for 20 years now.

greetings jeroen
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I buy all the printed forms and leaflets for large group of Hospitals in the North of England.

If you were in North Carolina, we'd run in the same circle! I actually manage a print shop in North Carolina for -I actually transferred to my new company and received a promotion since my initial response to this thread- the second largest hospital chain in the southeast.

Nurses and Doctors are really funny about their forms, arent they? 2 hole drill, 3-hole drill, 5-hole drill, we even have one form that has holes on 3 out of 4 sides of the paper. Cant quite figure out why, but they pay for it, so.......
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have done everything from landscaping

A friend and I actually used to do landscaping (briefly) at PTL for Jim and Tammy Baker before their fall from power. .
MrCrewchief
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:10 PM UTC
I'm a F-16 crewchief in the Royal Netherlands AF for 7 years know and hope to do some more years.

regards,

Dennis
Braystaff
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 154 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 03:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nurses and Doctors are really funny about their forms, arent they? 2 hole drill, 3-hole drill, 5-hole drill, we even have one form that has holes on 3 out of 4 sides of the paper. Cant quite figure out why, but they pay for it, so.......

At last, someone who understands what I go through!! That’s a pretty cool coincidence. We have some very strange forms as well. And just don't get me started on NCR sets...
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 08:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

don't get me started on NCR sets...

Noooooooooooo!! 4 part reverse, all pink!! Oh man, my eye is starting to twitch!
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 09:13 PM UTC
Great thread! Last 10 years have been chem process plant operator making catalysts for oil refinery reactors and styrene resin mfg.'s.Before that,did a year as a mechanic for harbor dock cranes,window washing scaffolds,and airport passenger loading gates.Spent 17 years as custom fabricator of plastic products.Museums,medical protos,furniture,expos,you name it.Other hobby is coaching linemen for local high school freshman team.
cheers!
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 11:09 AM UTC
Hi, I worked in sheet metal for about seven and a half years and now I'm running cnc screw machines. I hope to train on more cnc's as well as the manual lathes and mills. I still have a lot to learn.