Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How has Armorama/KM changed your hobby life?
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 07:46 PM UTC
It is for me like a lot of you guys. Armorama got me back into modeling after a long break. I have to check the site several times during the day, and it is "an exellent wast of time" while glue and paint dries :-) . The flip side is that I spend more money on modeling than I acctually should :-) . A big "Thank You" to Jim and his staff for keeping this site up and running.

Cheers
Erik
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 08:07 PM UTC
Big A made me becoming a one man modeling sweat shop.

Um... I meant that in a good way.

WC
entire network: 4,303 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 08:55 PM UTC
I became a member of Armorama after losing my job on "economical reasons" in february this year.
I worked in a hobby shop, so I was always busy with hobby and modelling: it was (and is) my passion.
After loosing the job I could not talk, sell and practice my hobby the whole day with others, so I fell in a gap.

That's when Big A 's cavellery came to rescue!

I joined this bunch of enthousiastic modellers and made modelling friends all over the globe and in my own country. And, more fun than the shop: you can 'talk' modelling really 24/7 !!!!

I learned a whole lot on this site and my modelling skills are growing.
Also, the campaigns are a great motivation to really finish my models completely and the perfect as I can.

Now I joined the police recently, so I do not have so much time anymore. Actually, at the moment I follow also some training and schooling so I do not have any time, but I just make time for the hobby as much as I can.

I'm with Graywolf: Armorama makes modelling a lifestyle!!

THANKS BIG A !!!

Paul
Blade26
Visit this Community
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 364 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC
I agree with you Jeremy!!
I've been a modeller from High School (that's 10years) With a break at the middle , and i have been a member for 10 days here and learned and gained much more from all of you than in all those years!
I thank this site and all of you for everything!!!
By the way Jeremy have you found what you were looking?
ellevehc86
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 162 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 09:26 AM UTC
My models are better, and I meet some really nice people here.

-Jay-
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 09:42 AM UTC
How has it changed my hobby life? Jeez, there are so many ways. First, of course, I have learned so much about how to model that it's unbelieveable. I had never even heard of weathering until I came here. Before I would have just built it OOB, slapped on some paint and put it away.

Now I find myself wanting to know what shade of paint is correct, what turret numbers are correct for a particular battalion, the color of dust and mud to use based on where that battalion fought, etc...

What started out as a just a hobby has turned into a rekindled appreciation and lust for knowledge of the history of WW II. That's pretty cool. And I owe almost all of it to this site and the people that frequent it.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 05:44 PM UTC
I don't have any other modellers in my neighbourhood, so Armorama members have become my friends, supporters, critics and teachers; but the most important is the friendship - even if it is at a distance!! to all of you.
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 265 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 05:49 PM UTC
After a departure from the hobby for over 10 years, I returned to the hobby a few years back and have been overwhelmed by the progress that the industry has made. There are so many aftermarket products and companies from so many different countries. Armour vehichle and infantry kits are no longer supplied by Tamiya only although I still miss Esci.

I started off reading magazines, books and visiting hobby shops but it doesn't help me much. I only ended up knowing there are even more that I have no knowledge and no experience of. It helped in improving my modelling but it is a slow process. I can't help thinking my skill level is miles away from those articles that I read.

Then I bumped into this site one day and realize the hobby is very muchh alive and kicking around the world. Like some others mentioned it provided a wealth of information such as history, techniques, tricks, tips, news and probably the most important of all it has provided a platform for communciation between average modellers like me to share other people's experience.

Some people said that browsing through this site acually taken up some of their valuable modelling time. I can agree with this but in the same breath, it also save time in finding out the right price and the right product in a relatively short time. No kit is perfect, if I can avoid making the same mistake that other people has made then it is time well spent.
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 12:08 AM UTC

I wholeheartedly consider this to be the best modelling site/community on the web. I trolled through the site for a couple of months before I took the big leap and joined. I have learnt so many things that were new to me, and have even managed to incorporate a few of them into the models I have built since.

My only gripe is that with work and the Big A there aren't enough hours in the day to do much actual model making :-)

And it is wonderful that I can communicate with like minded people from all over the globe.

Brian
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
entire network: 1,217 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 01:00 AM UTC
How did Armorama affect my modeling?

well i modeled for a full year before discovering the Big A!

but by than all i had were over 20 junk made airplanes which were no good!

after joining the big A i got to know some wonderfull folks who helped me with advices, free kits, acessoried... and more than other, beeing my friends!!!

so now, my display looks like this:

Notice the 5 medals (3 silvers and 2 bronses) arround some models, those are all won thanks to advices and skills I learned here!

so, life is great and Armorama is online

Mirko
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 1,526 Posts
KitMaker Network: 177 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 02:08 PM UTC
More info, a lot more accurate models, and MORE money spent on After market stuff. And I spent numerous hours in front of computer.
auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 03:14 PM UTC
Hi peoples,..
me, Im like Engin......years ago the sculpting of figures and historical military drawing, had long become a way of life with me and my family, all who are into historical military art, of some type,.I am and have been a member of other figure sites, Armorama has a diversity and openess I like, and most dont look at what they do through rose tinted glasses....
My wife took my rose tinted glasses years ago, and gave me a shovel, Ive found it realy handy...he! he!...
Phil..
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 03:35 PM UTC
Well I joined up in 2002 and im still here. Like others have mentioned I saw a few dios in a muesem went straight home got on the net looking for info and found armorama. The info never ends. I think the BIG-A has kept me interested in the hobby. It also nice just to talk about and see others work here this makes me want to improve.
Glenn330
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 02:08 AM UTC
I feel that if I have any questions about models I can ask it here and know I will get good answers/advice. I find myself researching my subjects a bit more thoroughly and researching paint colors. I also find myself visiting the site five or six times a day.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I also find myself visiting the site five or six times a day.

Thats a good display of self control already. Im logging in whenever i have free time between tasks at work.
nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
entire network: 243 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 07:57 AM UTC
Like most of you guys I am addicted to the site.

Learnt so much in the last one or 2 months I have found it. It is not the same hobby any more now that I know about wash, drybrush, PE...

Since there is always a dark side... I have to admit it is sometimes discourageing to see all the amount of progress I have to make before I can build stuff half as good as most of the pix on the forum...
And I am now so demanding with myself that sometimes it is not fun any more, more like work... but that is back to an earlier thread and is now

Thanks to all the contributors!
nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
entire network: 243 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hey, another funny one I just thought about.... Sometimes it feels like I am spending less time on the models since I am busy reading in the forum :-)
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
entire network: 1,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 188 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 08:06 AM UTC
Funny the last one..... :-) Well, for me rookie seaman in this ocean of modelling knowledge, has been very good to get nice and helpful remarks from things I didn´t know, and to get comments from almost professional modellers, also has encourage me to improve my skills much further, so do not be ashamed by the exceptional quality of the people work...and to keep fluent in english also
best regards
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 07:09 PM UTC
This hobby was meanless without sharing. And Armorama is the best place where I can share this hobby. The critics made for my models here are very constructive. The features make me to ask myself "why couldn't I think about it till now?" , I'm learning and trying many methods of model building with the help of Armorama members. And most importantly I have made so many friends from all over the world with whom I can share many other things beside the model building.
Nice topic Jeremy
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 04:29 AM UTC
The site is great! I learn more and more everytime I get on here. I think one of the best things is that no matter what you are doing or what time period you get good honest feed back and nobody rags on what you are doing. But the overall thing that i like is the ideas you get when you ask one question you get lots of diffrent ways to do it from diffrent materials. And the people here are great. One of the best tools out there for a model hobbiest. If more web sites were friendly user like this site no one would ever have to leave their house! Thanks for the great tips, help and the fantastic works of art and most inportant the guys and gal's that make this site the best.
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 07:40 AM UTC
First off,a big G'day to Jazza and the other kiwi boys back home in the land of the long white cloud.I stumbled over Armorama a good month ago or so.I was directly impressed by the great models produced by members and also the whole layout of the site.Informative,Professional and User Friendly.Without getting too sentimental It brought me back to the days when i was a kid and saved up my 'pocket money' to get a magazine from Verlinden.Those first pages blew me away when i was 12,and now blown away(at 29) yet again by the pages in Armorama!
In the last month i have gotten directly back into doing something i should of never put aside.
Keep up the good work!!
Cheers,Shay
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

First off,a big G'day to Jazza and the other kiwi boys back home in the land of the long white cloud.I stumbled over Armorama a good month ago or so.Cheers,Shay

Mate i hope you keeping up with your rugby as the boys in black are heading up north for the northern hemisphere tour. The team is shaping up good and is pretty much the same team that played the Lions.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 12:47 PM UTC
Well Armorama has totally focused my hobby life. I have no clubs around me and didn't have any 'purpose'. This site gave that to me. It gave me inspiration, help, guideance, drive, and exposure. Without this site it would have been harder to find the people I have found here.

In addition I want to say that Jim and his site have changed my life outside of just the hobby. Exposure to the world and people all over the place has been great. It has helped me remember where I came from.

Thanks Jim
Glenn330
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I also find myself visiting the site five or six times a day.

Thats a good display of self control already. Im logging in whenever i have free time between tasks at work.

You make a good point Jeremy. I have to display self control..
Unforunately I do have to make time for work and other such nonsense!!!
TreeCat
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 187 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 02:02 PM UTC
trying diffrent subjects. great place to ask for advice. Could never attend an IPMS meeting and this place is WAY better Good to talk to other modelers from around the world too.

Tree