Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How has Armorama/KM changed your hobby life?
ModelmakerBL
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 08:47 PM UTC
I find the members of the site to be very helpful and insightful. At times I need a little help in the motivation department and seeing other memebers finished models is all I need sometimes. I have settled on Armorama as my main site for information and reference. My appreciation goes to the staff and members.
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 07:55 PM UTC
I think this site has raised the bar on my limited modelling. When I am sitting modelling I am virtually constantly thinking about how Armorama guys would react to whatever I am doing at the particular time. Most recently on a M4A3 Sherman. I am losing count of the amount of times I have had to repint the div markings!!!!
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hey all!

This site has unequivocally and totally changed my perspective on modeling! I have met online, and in person, some truly AWSOME people from ArmoramA. They have listened to me, taught me, directed me, and INSPIRED me. I’d love to name them personally but, there are so many, it’d be my luck to forget someone. Therefore I shall not......

ArmoramA, bar none, is the BEST site for modelers I’ve seen. I’ve visited several, but always come “home.” Thank you staff members and general members for making and allowing such a place!

Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (++) (++)
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 05:51 AM UTC
Jazza, Addiction?? NO FLIPPIN' WAY!!!!!!!!
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 09:37 PM UTC
I spend even MORE time reading and less time building!

Too many great articles, builds and people...

Michael
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 09:48 PM UTC
Its just great to share skills and learn about different ideas for making models, by contributing to a community that is not purely based around competition, ie mines better than yours, which was my experience many years ago when I went to a club that was filled with rivet counters.
I suppose the measure of the site is one of making people welcome, whereas for the first time I dont just lurk, but feel able to place posts and join in the conversation that takes place.
I think also that you make friends here from all over the world, which has to be a great thing for the hobby as well as the world in general.

Just my thoughts.

John
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 1,002 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 08:35 PM UTC
It has changed the way I do my modelling: the way I paint, the way I build up models, etc... I ended up coming here looking for painting references before painting figures, for example! And I also, I usually come here tthree, four or five times a day, just to see what's new or to get some inspiration!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
arnie360
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 62 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 06:30 PM UTC
it's really helped me with some techniques i hadn't thought of, as well as giving excellent inspiration in others work.

it's also taught me to that no matter how authoratitive certain people think they are, there's always at least one exception that proves them wrong, so i now model primarily for the dramatic impact, though still with a dose of historical accuracy.
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hi ALL

I have found by visting not just this website but a few others i have made new freinds and it has improved my standards of model making.

i find all sites informative some more then others.
i find this site intresting because being a military modeller i also have a mini lath etc, so i have found other forums within this site to be extreeamly help full.

thxs
keep the good work up
ossie
Genetk44
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 85 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 08:16 PM UTC
This site has rekindled the flame for me. I stopped modelling 34 years ago and I picked up a magazine a few months ago and was totally intimidated by how much things have changed.....all the PE, resin, other assorted things like indy tracks...and just the amount of skill needed to attain what seems the norm in quality modelling...it all seemed so complicated and even overwheming. Well by reading this site, it has not only rekindled the interest and desire to start modelling again, but it has given me the confidence to do so. I've learned alot just by lurking and reading....and more importantly I now know that if I run into a problem or have questions I can come here and get help from a lot of very talented people on a great site.
To all of you I say "Thank you ! "

Cheers
Gene
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 08:27 PM UTC
thanks to Armorama I met a very influential and generous man called Paul, a.k.a nato308 who not only pushed me in the right direction modelling-wise and shared his vast wealth of knowledge, but who has also became a very good friend and whose advice has helped navigate some very tough personal problems.

Armorama, in that respect, has affected my life not just my hobby life. The friends that you can make and talk to on here, thanks to our shared interest, is something no monthly magazine or how-to guide could ever give a modeller.

I'll drink to the big A !
blazer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 40 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 02:52 AM UTC
Armorama got me hooked on modeling... as a result made me spend a lot of money on tools, kits etc... in a good way! lol
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 07:25 PM UTC
I came to this site several months ago seeking help with more than a problem. It was a down right phobia - I really worried over biplane rigging. To the point that I actually avoided building anything that required rigging, although my first interest is between-the-wars and early WW2. I was not only heartily welcomed, I was overwhelmed by the advice I recieved.

Since that time, I've poked around on the site and found both encouragment and a lot of inspiration. Just knowing that a certain level of craftsmanship is possible, and has been achieved, makes me want to try to achieve it, although I doubt I will ever reach the level of some of the models I've seen here. Its the trying that makes it worthwhile. It's my sincere hope that, when I finish my home remodeling toward th end of this year, I can begin to contribute something back that will help somebody else.
HES21
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 288 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:01 PM UTC
My mate told me aboout this site and basically it has got me right into models, from figures to vehicles. All the info I want is here, and if it isn't, somebody will answer one of my questions! Its also good to see what others do and learn from them, and young uns like me can learn from their seniors!! :-)
Harry
Steelheader
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 46 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
Aeroscale/Armorama has become a daily stop in my modeling life.

First, I retired from the working world in February 2004. This allowed me to do more of the fun things in life. Modeling was one of them. I build mostly 1/48th scale aircraft and will dabble in 1/35th armor and figures once in a while.

Next I rejoined a local model club, which turned out to be a much better experience than the first go several years ago. Most of the guys and gals are very helpful and positive and are most willing to share their "secrets" with the group. The negative personalties are generally relegated to the back of the class. I noticed a change in my skills within a few months as I began to look more closely at my efforts.

By joining the local club I became encouraged (not pushed) to rejoin IPMS/USA. This, too, has been a positive experience. I was fortunate enough to attend the IPMS nations in Kansas City and learned so much more. I met some great people at the convention, and attended some fantastic seminars. I came away with the most positive outlook about the hobby and the people who model. One them that really stuck with me is that this hobby is about the Modeler and not so much the model. It's about having fun, and doing something you like.

Contests? Another area that I avoided, but after joining the local club and IPMS, I began to attend local and regional contests. Another great experience. Not only did I see the work of other modelers up close and personal, but I found the vendors!! Like I was not spending enough at the LHS and by mail order? Happiness now has a new meaning for me. Winning does not always bring home a trophy: knowledge and added skills (plus the vendor purchases) also represent a form of winning.

I cannot recall how I found Armorama (now Aeroscale for me) or when, but was immediately drawn to the site. I was most impressed with the talent and the personalties from around the world. This expanded the bounds of my modeling work bench. Not being much for forums I avoided that part of the site, but several months ago began to read the various postings and promptly began to kick myself for not looking into this asset sooner. Like they say you are never too old to learn something new. I have posted a few questions and came away with very helpful information from many fine modelers. The times when I have been able to respond to another modelers questions I will follow the thread and my experience in increased even more so. Still so much to learn. All of this has added to my skill and raised the level of fun.

Years ago I might have trashed a model when I had screwed up, but today I see that as a challenge and spend the time and effort to figure out how to correct the goof up. I think perhaps the mellowing affects of age and the cost of the model has something to do with it, too.

My advice: enjoy this hobby which the Arorama/Aeroscale members obviously do. Join a club (s) and enter contests. I stress the fun aspect, because that what this hobby should be about. I know this is a long-winded reply, but this hobby is a big part of my life, and Arorama/Aeroscale can take some of the credit.

Best wishes to all who enjoy and contribute in their own ways to this hobby.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 06:02 AM UTC
"How has Armorama changed my life?" Well,I now spend way too much time on the internet while I should be working,its only a matter of time before my boss shuts me down.

Seriously,since I just started modeling armor I constantly refer to it for techniques,procedures,opinions on supplies and modeling materials.I love keeping up on the buzz in the modeling world,new kits and so forth,not just Armorama but the other sites like the ships and planes link are very good and I enjoy Modelgeek.

Yes I am addicted
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
First and foremost, it has put me into contact with people across the planet (now there's a concept) who share the same interest as I do. And that's the beauty of it. This tiny spot on the World Wide Web has the ability to strip away cultural and national barriers and bring together people in a common interest...un-fricking- believable. You want world peace? Organize a group build.

During my time here, I have had the good fortune to learn more about my hobby than I could have ever learned in 10 years worth of modeling magazine subscriptions. I've been inspired and encouraged to try new methods that brings my hobby to a new level for me. Best of all, even if it looks crappy, I know the criticism my work receives is not meant to tear me down, but to build me up and push me to the next level. I have also had the good fortune to come to know those who have taken this activity to an art form. Best of all, these people have been more than willing offer advice just to help me become a better modeler.

I'm glad that I found this place. I'm glad this place exists. I hope it will be here forever, because at the end of the long work week, it becomes a sanctuary where I can go and conect with my global modeling club.

That's what Armorama has done for me.
Willydav
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 18 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 06:15 PM UTC
The day when I discovered Big A on the Net was a great day to me !

It's a mine of informations, links, pictures, and...it is the best modelers community I ever met.

I met some new friends, and new projects will start soon.

I'm proud to be an italian Big A fan, and...thanks to all of you webmasters.

prosit !

Alberto
Panzertruppe
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC
To be honest, this is quite a good site. But I do find myself a bit overwhelmed and feeling so far behind everyone else. Back in the day, way before the Internet and modeling clubs, I was, truthfully, fat, dumb, and happy. I had what I thought to be a great collection of German armor and had just learned how to use my airbrush. I was fine with what I had and thought nothing of more of it. Now I see that in order to have anything worthy of sharing here I must fork out a lot of cash for PE, resin, and so forth. Not to mention that I need a new compressor for my airbrush. And the price of kits! Wow! They have easily doubled in price since I last bought any. Makes me want to throw up my hands, just do the best I can and say "Close enough for government work!" I just want to do this for fun. So what if my stuff isn't historically accurate? Anyone else share this sentiment?
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just want to do this for fun.

Panzertruppe Thats what this is all about.. Building for yourself. If you want to build out of the box, go ahead.. I do 99.9% of my kits out of the box. The aftermarket goodies are nice but I like to build just the kit as supplied. So feel free to post your stuff if you want real constructive critisism(sp).. It will help you progress to the level you want to acheive...

Dave
Panzertruppe
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC
Thanks, Mojo. Pardon my little rant there. I was stressed out and not having a particurly good Monday. I guess I need to relax and not worry if I don't have the latest and greatest. I'm still in the process of gearing up after many years of inactivity. I'm also gathering data on armor so I can be somewhere near accurate. I just need to be more patient. Hopefully by spring I'll be ready to tackle some major projects. And thank God for Ebay! I've gotten some good kits there, plus my airbrush, and saved quite a lot. So far, so good. I haven't been burned yet. My next major purchase will be a compressor.
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 01:07 AM UTC
I came to this thread late but I want to answer the basic question. Armorama has been a major resource for my model building hobby! It has motivated me to plow ahead and has also solved many questions I have had while building!

Thanks Armorama!

Gary
FuNsTeR
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 03:31 PM UTC
learning different techniques, helpful and friendly online community ... excellent model kit reviews, in the past you didn't really know what kind of kit you were buying till you got it home, seeing fellow modellers finished work and the amount of time and skill you put into completing your models

now if i could only get round to starting Dragon's Scud Missile & Mazz 4 x 4 launcher i have lying about for the past 10 years or so
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 06:48 PM UTC
Well The poster, Jeremy made it to the rank of Major General, so he must be addicted,,,hehe...

Anyway, this is "one stop shopping for me", I rarely need to search the internet when doing a new kit...everything is here, and if not, I will ask a question and usually recieve and answer within 1 day..

Great Site