Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How has Armorama/KM changed your hobby life?
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 03:40 AM UTC
I did a quick yahoo search on WWII modelling and Armorama appeared. Until then, my time modelling was 5 years in the past and all but forgotten about.

Looking through Armorama's features, I was stunned. Teacher's "Building a Tiger Early" was on the main page as a feature, so I had a look - It was the first time I'd seen PE brass and tiny details. I was used to Games Workshop kits. I had a look through the other models, each one sealing my fate more and more...

I ordered a DML 251 kit immediately !!
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 03:25 PM UTC
Lets see how has the big A changed your modelling life.... Well it has taught me alot of stuff i would have nevr even thought of. To post pics on here and get compliments from guys like Guntruck, Sabot, HeavyArty, Jurgen, Etc.... Guys that you know have awesome skills, also their critisizm is very easy to take, for they know what they are talking about. I consider This place a club. Oh and those are just the guys on the top of my head.... The list is very very long....

Herky
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 05:41 PM UTC
For everyone here that has helped me get my act together. Someday I may get my guts up and actually put one in a show. Thanks all.

Learning new things almost everyday. I never would have thought of using drywall center for building and street sections. Another one I just have to try out. (And I almost trashed those pieces that came off in the remodeled room)

Bob
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 394 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 04:02 PM UTC
The Big A definitely changed my hobby life. Firstly, I picked it up again, after a few years of lull, secondly, I really learn this hobby craft here. The techniques and advises and sharing of info, projects really help me on my way.

Keep it up, guys!

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 05:11 PM UTC
Good question!!!!! Well shortly before I joined the big A I had gone to Japan for a tour of duty. I think its funny cause finding armorame was by accident. I wanted information about a new kit from a new company (Amtech) and the new hobby shop I had just found in Yokohama, Japan didn't have the answers like used to get back here in the good old US. I had a few Friends in Japan the Built models Great bunch men, but Biased towards Hasagawa and Tamiya. So they all said Amtech was nothing and they wouldn't amount to much. So I googled the kit they released The Ta-183.... and got this article.. https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/102&page=1
So i read it. was impressed by some of the stuff I saw veiwed some of the other the kits on the OLD photopost system.......(JIM I STIILL USE MSN!!) and joined the Big A. I found another place to look at models.

Little Did I know that I'd become frinds with some great guys who share this great hobby and Join one of the best clubs in the hobby through this site. I have learned a lot of things here to but I think the the biggest change I have gotten is a group plasticheads I can count on for fun and Advice no matter how active or inactive I am in the hobby. So to Jim (staffjim), Rowan (merlin), Mal (holfast), Dave Tong (SS74), Andy (andy007), Andrew (Oberst), Matt (Matt), Carl(tankcarl, Chad(generalzod).....and alot of other out thanks yopu made this great and hopeto keep sharing all this hobby can offer. Y'all are great friends.
STUG

PS Gotta love Penny (Ladymodlebuilder) :-) how could I forget the best swine in the sty.
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 05:36 PM UTC
Armorama hasnt relly changed my life but it has given me skills tips and other stuff that have made me impove my modelling and its also good to have feedback from all over the world

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 11:28 AM UTC
Easy, By remotivating me, allowing me to learn, share and receive opinions, meet and communicate with some awsome people......and the list really could go on.

Armorama ROCKS!

Mike
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 11:47 AM UTC
Like so many have mentioned, this is THE place to gain experience, share ideas and info, and find answers to modeling questions. It has helped me to "stick with it" despite the lack of time I actually get to spend modeling. Without a doubt, the best part of Armorama is the people here. What an incredible opportunity to create friendships, share experiences, and meet people from all over the world. I look forward to this every time I log on, and it just gets better all the time.

Blade48mrd
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 05:50 AM UTC
It hasn't yet but I have high hopes
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 01:04 PM UTC
I think it has affected me in three ways.
First, after seeing some of the kits displayed here, I knew that I had to raise my game & try to weather more. Until finding Armorama I was living in a modelling vacuum, it's kind of like religion, if you sit in darkened room on your own, you can go off at a tangent. You need some sort of focus.
Secondly, I thought I knew a bit about WW2 German forces, but found that the depth of knowledge on here, & the details blew me away. I just wasn't aware of the info available. Also many of the guys on here are ex- or serving members of the military. They DO know what they're talking about because they've actually done it! I just love the interchange on the forums, it's great to be able to a bunch of blokes who have similar interests & don't get bored when you drone on about Hanomags & Panthers.
Thirdly, seeing other subjects has widened my modelling scope. Eg seeing models from Dave Cox & co has led me to do some British subjects instead of ploughing the German furrow.
In the wider context it's improving my typing! :-) :-) :-)
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 12:24 PM UTC
i had a friend from work over last wed morning. he looked at a model i am working on, and told me that it was like a work of art.

i thanked him and then showed him some of the things in here, and told him that my goal was to get up to snuff like some of the others in here.

his comment made my day.

reb
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 05:48 PM UTC
I was sitting at the pc thinking about getting back into the hobby.. I had a bunch of kits given to me by a friend. I did a serach for scale models on google and it broght me to Armorama. I took a look around and joined shortly after.. Like
a few others here, my previous models were unweathered and looking showcase new.. I had always read FSM and wondered how they got the kits to look so beat up and dirty.. Armorama has shown me how to do that and more.

Dave

lace
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:11 AM UTC
I don't have a lot of time for my hobbies, but this site has motiviated me to make time for modeling. That and it's added one more thing that my dad (ponysoldier) and I can share together.
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 311 Posts
KitMaker Network: 98 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:41 AM UTC
I got away from the hobby for awhile. Being in the military it is hard to build up a collection and then move, only to see stuff get destroyed. After reading through this site I have come back full force and have really goetten deeper into the hobby. I really enjoy seeing others work and getting comments on mine. I think this site has help my skills and knowledge grow tremendously. I think this site is a great asset to all modelers.

Ryan
JIVS
Visit this Community
Palencia, Spain / España
entire network: 118 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:24 PM UTC
I make models since 197.... long time ago... and my great discover was that a computer coul be a big tool to improve my skill- always learning- and some times sharing my littles knowledeges. First in spanish forums. When I lost my fear to write in English a big world was opened for me. I found great people who want to share information, tricks , and critics. I learn lot of things in the little time I took part in Armorama.
Thanks to alls.
VonDodenburg
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 128 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 05:35 PM UTC
Guys,

I think Armorama's best asset is the people. I have received a lot of support whenever I have posted questions or asked for advice. Also saves time and $$ when others can guide you or even post information.

My kids spend a lot of time IM'ing friends. This is my version!!

Charles
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:08 AM UTC
Well, I hate to admit it, but at first looking at the great features and pics in the galleries here at Armorama actually intimidated me from building because I knew my efforts would not come anywhere close to them. Back in the day (20 years ago plus) I was considered a decent assembler of plastic by my peers, but during my absence from the hobby techniques and modeler's skills have reached new heights.

But after talking to some newfound friends on the forums I've overcome the intimidation and have started building again. And I'm enjoying myself, which is the whole point. I no longer care if my first efforts don't look like items I've seen here as I know with perseverance they will eventually reach that level.

Now all I have to do is spend less time hanging out here and other websites and spend more time putting the glue on the plastic
Anti44Hero
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 42 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 02:35 AM UTC
Armorama has really inspired me to get into the hobby. I had made some classic cars when I was alot younger but I had never seen as much detail on a model as I did when I first came to this site and looked around the forums and gallery.
So, Thanks Armorama! Hopefully this is a hobby I will continue to enjoy for a long time to come.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 07:34 PM UTC
How has Aromorama changed my modelling life?

Well its allowed me to share my builds with other modellers and get comments good and bad but also to learn new methods and to improve. I now also have a big family out in the world that when I need it will help with that bit of advice, or if I'm in the postion to know something help another member with advice.

I must admit that some people think I'm a bit mad because I build in 1/144 scale mainly but when I have shown aircraft on here it was not the case.

I do find though, that I am impinging on modelling time by 'having' to check out the site to see if there has been a reply to this or that, or if I can help answer someones cry for help.

Ciao
Luciano
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 14,499 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hi all - what can I say!! This site has totally changed my approach to model building. It provides a source of knowledge and inspiration. I've only recently started building again and the links and articles have been a great help.

On the down side the bank account's taken a bit of a hammering especially since there are so many excellent new kits available, sometimes it's hard to know what to buy!!!

Thanks to all those who contribute.

Have a good 06.

Al
mozzie
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:42 PM UTC
this site has made me relive my childhood and teenage days.
ever since joing the hectic 'ratty' working world, I'm staring at a screen at least 12hrs a day.
modeling is a good & fun hobby to destress and away from the evil 'white box'.

thank you Armorama.com
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:40 AM UTC
I hadn't modelled for about 20 years. Then one day while I was bored I bought a 1/35th Challenger, some sandpaper, glue and a can of Nato Green spray paint. I sprayed the parts, built it OOB and stuck it on a shelf somewhere.

One day while (once again) I was bored and surfing the web pointlessly, I typed in "Painting a 1/35 Challenger" in a bored manner 'cos I was soddin' bored and it might bring up something else boring to read.

Armorama came up so I had a look. Aaaaarrrgh, MISTAKE... RUN AWAY!!! Too Late!

Now my Challie is painted, weathered, has straps, tarps, cam nets, dirt, oil cans, stains... You name it! So I had to go and buy something else which got painted, weathered and experimented on to within an inch of it's hopeless, tiny, plastic life!

That was last May and about 15 kits ago. I now know (in theory anyway) how to build models, I know what a SWMBO is, have an airbrush, compressor and the mandatory "stash", small though it is.

I've even started to scratchbuild (I'm doing WHAT???) an FV432 which considering my modelling skills (or rather, lack of them) is real ambition and way past the biting off more than one can chew etc!... Of course it isn't quite finished yet but it's great fun and I really feel I'm achieving something. Having the manual dexterity of a dead sheep doesn't really help. :-) :-) :-)

My thanks goes to those that give up time to help us inexperienced planks who find it hard to even glue two flat pieces of plastic together without cocking it up.

I thoroughly enjoy this addictive site.

Long live armorama!
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:59 AM UTC
Heh. Spend alot more time reading and less time building... No wait, that is the way I've always been

Happy New Year!

MSW
Poldark
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 08:26 AM UTC
I like to see what is going on in the 1/35th scale armor modeling world. A couple of other sites seem to have fueds between modelers of certain subjects. Glad to see that is not the case here. I can see that looking about too long has cut into my desk time so I only visit once in a while.{see # of post's} There is plenty to see and appreciate the little works of art you all do.

Cheers!
Frank Blanton
Richmond, Va.
bizzphotos
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 09:50 PM UTC
Ditto. Fabulous site. Don't know what I would do with out it.

Kudos to the webmaster.

Bizzphotos