_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How has Armorama/KM changed your hobby life?
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:23 AM UTC
I've been noticing that i have somewhat become addicted to this site for obvious reasons.....the love for modelling and the extensive resource available on this site.

Its really changing my hobby life as it has become my "one stop shop" to get the information i need with regards to modelling. On top of this, i noticed that im more motivated than ever to churn out these models. I do get motivation by seeing others built spectacular looking models and dioramas.

I also use the site quite a bit to catch up with my fellow buddies back in Singapore.

Do share how this site has improved or on the flip side, degraded / demoralised your hobby life.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:28 AM UTC
Pretty much the same reasons as you. I have learn't a lot while visting, not only in modelling but nearly everything else too.
Andy
P.S also i count everyone on here as a friend and you have too visit freinds when you have the chance
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:36 AM UTC
Never having been in a modelling club of any sort, the immediate benefit of joining this site was to be able to share builds I had done and receive comments from other modellers. As a consequence of this I began to learn more. Becoming Managing Editor of Armour has added to the experience, but I would be lying if I said it hasn't meant teeny weeny bit of disharmony on the marital front. That's now sorted, and I can honestly say it has been and continues to be a wholly positive experience. I love it!

Vinnie
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:41 AM UTC
The Big A has been the main motivator in getting me interested in building models. One day I had a slight itch start, to get into building models and I perused the web for a site about tank models and found Armorama. After reading the posts and seeing the incredible work done by the members here, I went and started building. Only thing holding me back now is time, I really wish I had more time to build as now I have little to no time although I may squeeze some in here and there until hockey season ends.

The best part of Armorama is the comraderie and friendship to be had here, I've made several new friends because of this place.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy

Wow, how has Armorama changed my hobby life ? I've learned and continue to learn a great deal about not just modelling and the hobby, but history and many other things. The site has helped my efforts grow much faster than they ever would have without it .The only problem I have is my own inability to post pictures of my efforts. I am still working on that .
Outside of the Hobby I have met many many good people from around the world on this site. It just goes to show that when regular folks get together the goverments don't matter anymore.
Good idea for a topic
Harry
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:45 AM UTC
Probably the most important change since finding the Big A has been to get me started modeling again. I hate to admit it, but I've been out of it for so long that I didn't know most of the companies I see listed here even existed. But after seeing the work done here, and feeling like a rookie in spite of 28 years of modeling, I got motivated again. It also helps to have so many talented and helpful people to share with.

Art
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:04 AM UTC
This site has helped me to be motivated. Its great to come on and read posts and learn new things about AFV. Helps also to get new ideas. This site has many great people involved with it and it helps others who want to learn and enjoy the hobby. It also helps pass a boring day at work :-)

sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC
Hi, Probably the one thing that this site has done to my hobby life is deflate my walled!!!!!!!!!! Now whether is a good thing or not to my retirement later on, this is still open to question at the moment. It's also added news areas for cat hair and dust to grow on in various stacks of unbuilt model boxes here and there.

And since I'm kind of a loner type of person by nature this site as also allowed me to talk to others without the close personal contact that I tend to shy away from most generally. ( And unfortunately this is a characteristic that is getting larger with age.)

One of the other nice things about the site is that I can ask questions on certain vehicles or items on those vehicles and always get at least one good answer to it, which is a big help. Plus I can look at the various photos others post and get some very good ideas about what I would like try on some of my builds.

So here I am finding myself venturing on this site several times a day when a free moment is at hand. And then wondering why I don't get models built in the first place. Addictive? yes, but in a very good way.

Thanks and take care, Sgrity
RedLeg
Visit this Community
entire network: 746 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How has Armorama changed my hobby life?

I hadn't even started building models when i stumbled across Armorama, though i have to admit there was a burning feeling to start and finding this site sealed the deal and here i am now visiting every day and learning something new all the while. Who knows one of these days i might get round to putting some pics of my work up i haven't actually finished anything yet but getting close. honestly

redleg
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:13 AM UTC
Greetings, Jeremy, and to all of my friends out there...

That's quite an interesting question, dude...I've been in this hobby a long time, some 30 odd years or so, and I just happened to stumble over the site one day while I was at work on my lunch hour...since then, I can't say quite enough about the Big A...Armorama has only helped to sweeten my total love and respect for this hobby that we all share in, not only by providing me with an unlimited resource for information about the hobby, but also the chance to meet and talk to other modelers worldwide, people that do share the same feelings such as I, with an endless supply of friendship and undaunted help...there really is no other site on the net that could even come close to Armorama, and the site gets better every day...
I was laid off from work last year and spent alot of my time here at Armorama, and I can honestly say that I had one of the best times of my life, and I did log alot of hours inside these pages...There's nothing quite like it, and I'm sure that as long as we keep the respect that we all have for this site, Armorama will continue to grow in a positive direction, and will always be THE best thing going for us modelers on the net...hand's down...
Cheers!
Gunny
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:48 AM UTC
Thats easy.. this site is a great resouce for information and the model builders on here collectivly know a great deal about the subjects..

where else can you have a serious discussion on which type of track a sherman (insert model #) should have if its in the (Insert place here) in (insert date here)

also the feed back here inspires me to build more and try to continue improving myself...

Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:16 PM UTC
Prior to coming here I never knew how to weather a vehicle whatsoever.

Armorama has helped me progress in my modelling skills and I have gained some new friends.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:27 PM UTC
How has Armorama changed your hobby life?

Jeremy, -- pretty cool question.

I guess my response is, -- this site has not only positively impacted my hobby life, but its had a tremendous impact on my personal life as well.

Through the efforts of Jim Starkweather and this site, I have been blessed with making several true friends from around the world -- something that could never have happened without Jim's efforts here. Because of Armorama, I've had the privilege of meeting gifted modelers (who have become friends) from Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Hong Kong, the Phillipines, Great Britain, and a couple of pretty cool guys from the east coast. Besides the modeling expertise they readily share, the friendship they provide is second to none.

It doesn't get much better than this.

Steve
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:32 PM UTC
My modeling is much better. I can say i know how to use my airbrush thanks to dave(grumpyoldman) because he's helped me out alot. Im getting more seriouse in the hobby as im investing a lot more time,money and effort.

i love the way people are so kind and honest. People are glad to help out.

Frank
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
entire network: 1,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 188 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 01:48 PM UTC
I´ve barely enjoyed the experience of the discusion threads, cause i´m almost new on them (Í haven´t decided until a few days to post in english, i have to say that i felt embarrased about my english communications skills), but since i joined the site, and posted my models, i felt that the honesty and willingness to help were absolutely wonderful, and i also can help other fellow chilean citizens to enjoy all the knowledge that the people from all over the world has. I´m being a little philosophic but hey, those are my feelings ok! :-) :-)
Regards to everyone and god save the.......ARMORAMA :-)
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 01:57 PM UTC
To me, this is by far the best modelling site on the net. The amount of information available to us and so willingly shared by everyone is great. I enjoy how the critisism is always constructive and good natured. Many other sites rip apart a modeler if their build isn't perfect. Here we share ideas, techniques and information in a friendly and helpful manor and it's FUN! This is the first site I check when I get up and usually the last one before I hit the sack.

Jesse
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Because of Armorama, I've had the privilege of meeting gifted modelers (who have become friends) from Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Hong Kong, the Phillipines, Great Britain, and a couple of pretty cool guys from the east coast. It doesn't get much better than this.

Steve

Same here. Even though I haven't built a lot of models lately the friends I made on the Big A still keep in touch. The brotherhood extends beyond modeling.

But I'm not so sure about the HK part
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:33 PM UTC
Armorama started up right after I moved to Fort Devens, Mass. and took command of a maintenance school in late 2001. I discovered it via a now defunct site called Kithobbyist.com. Jim was posting his new site there and at several other places, including rec.models.scale (old school binary newsgroup).

The site looked like it had potential and after several chats with Jim and early members, I got the bright idea to take photos of the vehicles in my motor pool and Jim gave me a place to upload them.

I had complete access to dozens of old and new modern military vehicles and I decided to share my fortune with the online community.

Through the forums, I sponsored several field trips to my motor pool for area modelers. Some of them even got the chance to ride in an M113A3 and M1A1.

I met many folks in New England who would walk up to me in shows and start talking to me as if we'd been long lost friends. They "knew" me just by reputation on Armorama. This has also happened to me here in Kentucky at my club's local show.

Because of Armorama I got active in local modeling communities. I entered my first contest in early 2003 and have been entering ever since, bringing home some sort of award every time. Prior to this I didn't think I built kits good enough to compete.

I also got several folks here to donate money to sponsor trophies at local shows in Armorama's name. It is kind of neat to hear Armorama's name mentioned as a sponsor of various modeling categories. I do not think I've heard of HyperScale, Missing Links or Fine Scale Modeler's forums sponsoring trophies at shows.

I think Armorama has made online modeling a better place and responsible for getting me out into the local modeling communites and making my mark there.
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:46 PM UTC
It made me a vampire.

It helped me become a better modeler. I also made great friends in Armorama.

Angela
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 04:18 PM UTC
I've learnt a lot since joining this site about modelling and techniques and also made some great friends around the world. I've also tried things out that I would never have done without the big A.

Pete
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 04:55 PM UTC
When I re-started modeling again I did pretty much the same as when I was young: build, a bit of painting and then it's done.
Now from the Big A I now know about different techniques for finishing my models, including weathering, aftermarket parts and scratch building. I also know that not all kits are totally accurate, as I had thought previously (DUH!). Also, knowing what is coming out from various manufacturers and suppliers has made a big difference.
This site HAS made me the modeller that I am now and I am forever grateful for that!!!!!!!!
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 06:44 PM UTC
Aside from raising my moddeling skills considerably, it also is a huge source of information.

I would like to praise the campains, they have "forced" me to build with a purpose and to reshearch for the subject in question.

I´m looking by a least once a day - next week i´m on holiday without internet - that will be tough! - nothing left to do but drink and eat ...

:-)
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 07:29 PM UTC
i was looking to get back into modeling, and this site helped me get started again.

i have also made some friends here, and i am constantly being educated on the finer points of my chosen hobby.

also i have seen how open and helpful people are here to newcomes and newbies such as myself. that alone can reestablish your faith in the human race.

i am off now for 6 weeks, recovering from some abdominal surgery, so when i can sit for more than a few minutes it will be time to start my project of building a 11th acr platoon.

takce care
reb
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 07:32 PM UTC
As you join Armorama family, your hobby changes to a life style. :-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 07:35 PM UTC
I think I spend more time yakking to you guys than I do modeling :-) :-)

Probably the thing I get most is direction. I love to get involved in all the campaigns. I just start lining them up and I have a list of model kits to build for the next 7 or 8 months. My other thing is to teach. I love to answer questions and share knowledge. I love to learn about new things. So as you can see, I get a lot out of this, and hopefully contribute something back
 _GOTOTOP