_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What's your day job?
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 06:09 AM UTC
Dear Modelers,

There are over 3,000 registered Armorama visitors. What do you all do for a living? This would be great if we had the most responses ever to a question.

I do cryogenic processing. No, not Ted Williams or Walt Disney. That's Cryonics. We freeze (-300 F) tools and golf balls and softball bats, race car parts, razor blades, etc. to make them last longer. Got the tech stuff from NASA.

What do YOU do to live on and fund your hobby madness? Who'se in the military, retired, teacher, head shed inmate. etc?

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 06:15 AM UTC
Physician Assistant in the Canadian Navy, 25+ years. Although I've been serving with the army for the last 13 years!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
For the last 6 months I have been looking for a job. lots of lay off's in Oregon!
Before that, I was a maintenance man in a printing company.

Cheers,
Garry
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
I'm a moderator in the Armorama diorama forums #:-) just kiddin' ya.

I'm an IT Manager, but some times I feel this is a part-time job and Armorama a full day job
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hi, Okay Sealhead I'll start this off. I'm a retired factory worker from the Dayton Ohio area. Spent 31 1/2 years building brakes and engine bearings for automobiles at one of the local G.M. plants. We had a saying up at the shop that if you got 30 years in could automatically got an honorary doctorate at Bend-Over-You University. I'd have to say I graduated with honors in that department. Ha, ha! Once they moved all of us old f---- out, they moved what was left to a new building north of town, cut the wages and benefits by about 2/3s for all the new folks they were taking in at the time I got out, tore down the old plant and consigned it to the land fill. Made good money working there, but it did take it's toll, both physically and mentally on everybody who I know of. At least those that are still alive. We had quite a few die of cancer before they even had a chance to think of retiring, and other related health problems as well.

Anyway, since retiring 4 or 5 years ago, I've taken on the job of baby sitting my grand-daughter 5 days a week from around 7 in the morning to 4 or 5 in the evneings. Now I've been told that since I've done such a bang-up job on this one ,I get another one to do come next Aug. Which is okay, I suppose, as long as my health holds out.

With this, and all the other odd jobs to do around the house and over to my Mom's house, plus modeling and a couple other hobbies I sort of hit and miss at my time is pretty well filled .

I've heard it said that before retiring a person should be sure they have enough to occupy their time. Well, I do believe that I've accomplished this. In fact, truth be told, I think I've done it a little TOO well sometimes. But maybe this is for the best. Who knows.

Take care, sgirty
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 984 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:01 AM UTC
I am in Concrete foundation Construction. Not for the lazy.
uilebheist
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:12 AM UTC
I have a small construction company, Concrete and Masonry foundations. You are right Petro, not a job for the lazy. I've been at it 20 years now. #:-)
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:16 AM UTC
I am a medical doctor for the Ministry of Health working as the director of 5 medical units 4 days in a week and 5th day I am a teacher for Primary and Advanced Life Support Courses to SAR teams.This turned to a regular job after the earthquakes we had.
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hi guys, I'm the production manager for Hinckley Springs bottled water company in Chicago( hence the call sign Waterboy). We produce about 15,000 5 gallon bottles a day for the watercoolers in the Chicago area. (:-)
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:23 AM UTC
I work for the Research Dept of DuPont Canada as a Research Technologist. I work on a project where we are replacing metal in heat exchangers with nylon. Love my job and hope to retire from it someday.

HastyP
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
i'm a highschool student.. make my money by doing household chores
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:27 AM UTC
I really like my new gig. For the last 7 months I've had a new job and my employer of 4 years. I chat online with people from all over the world. I don't want to say which computer/printer company it is but if you're ever checking out some manufacturers website and a window pops up asking if you'd like to chat with a expert, that's me. Not that I'm all that expert, I just know how to find stuff. So I get paid to surf the web and find things.
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
Marine biologist.

The ironic thing is that I got into marine biology because I didn't want a typical
sit-at-your-desk 9 to 5 job.
Well, I work in government, and all I do is sit at my desk and stare at commercial fishing quotas on a computer screen all day long
Once in a blue moon the job is cool - like watching the Concorde take off right over my head while doing beach seines near JFK.
But, the Concorde is no more...........

Time to start job hunting !

Peter
teternal
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC
Im a Carpenter. Probablyy not by choice it just happend by osmosis. Ive work for my Pops which is actually nice. Its good to be with family. Not lazy work either.Josh
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi there

I'm a video editor. I do some stuff for TV and some behind-the-scenes work on features. I also do a bit of graphics and computer 3-D stuff, but that's so specialized now, I mostly steer clear!

I used to be a musician, but now editing and modelling have pushed music firmly onto the backburner.

I've also done some real work! I worked at Westlands and did 12 hour shifts in a bakery to pay for college but now, one way or another, I stare at a computer monitor most days and evenings!

All the best

Rowan
Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:43 AM UTC
After an injury at work resulting in 3 knee surgeries I returned to school working towards my masters degree in American History (colonial period) and getting my teaching certificate to teach history in the secondary grades.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
Bouncer in a night club during night time, garbage pickup in the morning, cleaning fish in the afternoon, brain surgeon backup assistance during the weekend, diplomat at all times.

Not really. Communications manager for an international airport, which at times includes some of the above, and a lot more. Fun job. Husband, father, cook, modeler and internet addict during evenings and weekends.
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:59 AM UTC
IM A part time student one day a week rest of the time I work in a model shop.

and like jan (genfailure) said:
modeler and internet addict during evenings and weekends.

and that about it!
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: -2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
still doing what ive always done which is a freelance artist/illustrator, which ive done for about 11 years now. It suits me ideally because of long term illness which makes it difficult for me to get about. I do mostly private commision work, be it for a private client or company based request, doing most types of art but my main love is scifi/fantasy. when im not doing that im modelmaking, myself or with my kids, playing warhammer tabletop games and occasionally i sleep, eat, and chillout

alpha
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 08:06 AM UTC
I was a photojournalist for the U.S. Army for about 15 years, then took the money and ran in 1992 (I was bought-out during the drawdown). I went to school full-time and worked all sorts of jobs: fry cook, cab driver, factory worker, carpenter, newspaper reporter, etc.

After I finished my journalism degree, I took a job as a correctional officer in Wisconsin's largest prison. Worked that gig for four years before being offered my current position: command information chief at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. I'm basically in charge of all internal information products, including the post newspaper, the annual welcome guide, closed-circuit TV channel, some web-based products, etc.

Check out the on-line version of my newspaper here: http://www.ftleavenworthlamp.com/
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 08:32 AM UTC
My current job is to drive my wife nuts #:-) I'm retired from over 27 years working for our Government (active duty Army/US Air Force/Civilian civil servant). But now I am full time Armorama pain in the #%&&*# #:-)
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 08:37 AM UTC
Im an automotive mechanic.. Worked 15 years in a chain store .. Then got an oppertunity to try something a bit different. One of the fellas I worked with at CTC asked me to come work for a company that repairs forklifts.. Best move I have ever made.. Its a great job, decent money and most of all, weekends off.. Spend my days playing with forklifts.. *L*

Dave
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 08:37 AM UTC
Well I don't have a day job,....I work as a waiter (more bartender ) in a cool Billard (pool)Club ...I run around and serve drinks to 30 tables three nights a week and stay behind the counter on another night ...I don,t call this work ...it's just fun!! The only thing is I don't get home till 4:00 am ..Been at the same place for the last 19 years !! Gives me lots of free time to work on my kits ...(wife works days!! hehe).

Rick
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 08:39 AM UTC
Medically retired Police inspector,I work part time for a home improvements shop as a gofor but they sent me on a three day course I now design kitchens for unsuspecting customers. :-)
 _GOTOTOP