Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What's your day job?
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 12:18 PM UTC
I work as a Network Administrator for an Investment firm. They way the stock market has been these past couple of years I am amazed I still have this job. Anyhow, Dow Jones is over 10000 so things should start to get better.
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 12:21 PM UTC
how is this for an obscure job i drive around emptying the money out of pay telephones been doing it for 17 years .
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC
I am an elementary school (K-5) Phys. Ed. teacher, and I'm in my 16th year doing this. I'm one of those luckey people who can say that I truely love my job.

Mike
kingcrt
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 118 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 12:57 PM UTC
I am a Systems Design Engineer for a system integration Company. I do pre and post-sales engineering. My company sells presentation and network distribution video systems.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 01:07 PM UTC
I work for a German medical company in their R&D department, as a laboratory engineer. We do all the mechanical testing and designing of plastics and plastic bags for enteral nutrition (being feed through the blood stream).
I also recieve bags sent back from the market, that had faults, to decide why, when, how that fault ocured and to improve the situation from production to market.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 01:49 PM UTC
Newspaper reporter. Don't let my copy here fool you, we have spell check and editors at work!!!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:01 PM UTC
I'm a Drafter......for a Civil Engineering Firm (Roads Bridges Etc....)
ambrose82
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 249 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:02 PM UTC
Great thread!

I'm a full-time student finishing up two B.A.s. In Addition to that, I'm a sales rep for a good sized sign company here in San Jose. We mostly resign apartment complexes and new housing projects. I'm also a full-time dad and husband.

How do I find time for modeling? good question. I'll let you know once I find out.
jerry009
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:03 PM UTC
Hey all,
I am a professional comercial/indusrtial/advertising photographer. Its one of the toughest jobs i have ever had, spend my day photographing models! hahahah....i wish, i mainly take photos of medical equipment, computer equipment, executive portraits, etc......
What i really want to be doing is enlisting in the army an becoming an armor crewman....but due to health reasons i cannot join......hopefully someday i can join up!
lately I have been thinking of going back to school to study graphic design.

-Jerry
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:04 PM UTC
After retiring from a 23 year adventure as an AF Medic I became a Certified Medical Assistant in a Nursing Home. I am now the driver for that Nursing Home. I do everything from transporting people to shopping. It works out to about half-time.
I was also a musician (drummer) but have given that up to stay home and build models.
Chuck
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:21 PM UTC
I am currently on medical disability due to a stroke and heart problems.

I've been a machinist, International Product Mgr. (set up machining operations in the UK and established a branch operation in Japan), a Project Mgr for two plastic injection molding companies dealing with the automotive industry.

My wife gets the disability checks so I pay for my modeling habit by casting lead pistol bullets and selling them to other shooters.

What takes up most of my time right now is babysitting the grand kids. Both my daughters are RNs and single Moms and work twelve hour shifts. Since Pops isn't doing anything, he gets to babysit five days a week. A two year old and a five year old. Plus one daughter and her 12 and 14 year old live with me. The 14 year old is bugging me right now to use the puter.

Have you ever tried to model with two kids playing PS2 in the same room?

Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 616 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:25 PM UTC
I did my time in the military (20+ yrs). Left that to be a restaruant manager and now I am a corporate trainer for the Krystal Company (Krystal Hamburgers). It's not really a day job, more like a when ever job.
gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 252 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:32 PM UTC
I'm an air traffic controller . Prior to that I was in an EOD team in the U.S.Army
blackwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:33 PM UTC
I'm a sales manager in a firearm shop in the southern 'burbs of Chicago. Not only do I get to sell them but I do some minor repairs,test new products, set up target and hunting rigs, and I'm certified to repair all makes of Glocks. Going for Beretta and Heckler & Koch next. Scott
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:55 PM UTC
I am a retired NY State Trooper (20+ years) Now I am a probation officer in northern california...
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 03:07 PM UTC
What a great response. Keep 'em coming. A few of you are almost neighbors to me (Leavenworth, KS and SWMS).

10% of the tribe have responded. Let's hear from the rest of you.

To those of you looking for work, or dealing with heath issues, good luck and thanks for responding.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 920 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 03:40 PM UTC
I am the Production Supervisor in the Publications Dept. of Walthers (the model railroading company). I'm responsible for 14 writers/artists/imagers/and clerical support staff in the production of all Walthers package design, advertising, promotional mailers, sales catalogs, and reference books. My degree was in Graphic Design.

Best part of it all.....we have over 80,000 different SKU's, many of which can be useful in diorama and model building, and I get a sweet discount! If ever I'm out of glue, static grass, paint, etc. I just walk out to the warehouse, grab it, bring it up front to the store to pay for it and take it home with me that day. Gotta love it!
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 03:47 PM UTC
I am a full time student majoring in Communications with Digital Media (making spiffy pictures on a computer). When not in school I sell cameras and also deliver pizzas.
IDHUNTER
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 87 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 04:13 PM UTC
I'm a supervisor in a production area of a major computer chip manufacturer. I've been at that for about 6 years. It's interesting dealing with the various people of the world. I did a little time in the Army as an armorer and driver for the XO....Ft Sill - OOOSHA!
I'm also a bit of an artist with an affinity for protrait type drawings. Looking to start drawing portraits of soldiers as a side business...not unlike our avatar shots. I'm primarily interested in WWII fellas but will be looking for commissions as well if I could establish a market/clientel(sp) base. Sound like something worth-while to anyone out there?
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 04:22 PM UTC
Im a Factory Lisenced Motorcycle Technician who owns my own Repair and Restoration shop. Im also a Weekend Warrior for the US Army. Ive done my active duty and combat tours
so now Im coasting till retirement. Not long to GO !!!
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
Have been a photographer for 33 years...concerts (back in the 70's) news, sports, photojournalist, portratts... for the past 9 years I've had the pleasure of being the Personal Photographer to the Governors of the State of Alabama. It's an appointed position and every four years it's back "up to the people" as to who my boss is and if they decide to keep me. On my third Governor right now. Have worked for two Republicans and one Democrat. That proves either I can get along with anybody, or I'm good.
www.governor.state.al.us

and still do alittle freelance
http://www.americanphotojournalist.com/member.php?user=glackmeyer
and oh yeah....one more thing, ...by the looks of the other members occupations, I am sure you all own one of the items my father is credited with inventing....a pocket protector.

hehe...( I really love this site)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 05:46 PM UTC
I am a merchandising executive for a audio company.
chipotle
entire network: 72 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 06:58 PM UTC
Spent 15 years in the Army and now working as a Park Ranger for the local authority liaising with local community groups and keeping vandals at bay (sometimes)
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:17 PM UTC
I'm a automatisation support manager for a biotech company. My (small) staff and me keep the stuff in the labs working, so our scientists can find new medications to give everybody a better life.

Kris
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 09:47 PM UTC
Iam a full time student at high school, But on the weekends i pack oxygen weed (you know the stuff you put in fish tanks) its not a huge income but its enough to keep up the addiction.