Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What's your day job?
simonrw
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 53 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi Everyone,

I make transformers for the electronics industry. Only been doing it for 17 years. It's one of those jobs where I can do a day's work then still have to come back to empty ovens or impregnate transformers till the wee small hours of the morning .
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 236 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 10:15 PM UTC
Hi,

After high school a served in the dutch army as a sergeant. I was a YPR 765 commander with the recon troops for the a tankbattalion.
Now I'm a student for Urban Design. Right now i am a trainee with a traffic advisor company.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 10:46 PM UTC
I am currently on my 3rd year as an AGR (Active Duty Reserve/Guard) soldier in the Missouri Army National Guard. I am on my 15th year of military service. I spent 12 years as a traditional weekend National Guard soldier. I spent 3 years as a heavy construction equipment operator, 9 years as a combat engineer (specializing in mobility and counter-mobility tasks) and have been a Supply Sergeant for the 3 years that I have been AGR. I am currently assigned to a deployed unit operating out of BIAP (Baghdad International Airport) in Iraq. Needless to say, I don't get any modelling done. I keep my sanity by checking in at Armorama and reading whatever modelling mags I can get sent to me from the states.

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:06 PM UTC
Army for 8 years, left in '99 and been working in Telecomm's ever sine been working for the same comanpay as a contractor/full time for the past 4 years I've done the lot pulled in the cables, residentual cable tv/cable modems/telephone faults,moved over to businees 2.5 years ago fitting cable modems,switch boards,payphones,cisco routers the whole lot and repairing them as well really easy and only used to work about a 2.5 day week as werent to busy and my boss was in another town so never seen me so plenty of time to skive off or not come in!. sadly my job has been done away with so now a network delivery engineer doing all my old business work along with QC work and bringing in fiber optics and leased lines for customers and installing digtal centrex mointering equiptemt yup my job is pretty good free cable tv,internet access,and line rental for my phone is payed to I also get a company car which I'm allowed to use privately as well. I've also been in the TA for just over a year now with 236 Sqn RLC based in Manchester which is a DROPS unit I'm a clerk there but also trained as a driver as well so I'm dual roled which is a bit of fun
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:38 PM UTC
Independant consultant...
Ciao
(:-) (:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:55 PM UTC
I am the Senior Software Engineer for the State of North Carolina - that means "I write code" and the Senior part of it means that if it breaks I'm the one they yell at. Ahhh the joys of seniority kinda like senility.

I remember personal computers when there was no hard drive and "portable" labtops that would break your lap.... #:-)

Ho ho ho (:-)
VoodooChild
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 74 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 12:37 AM UTC
I'm a full-time mechanical engineering student going into my fourth (and final :-) ) year at Wits University.
I'm currently earning some money doing vacation work for Sandvik Mining and Construction.
When I'm not studying or model building, I spend my time rowing for Wits or 'veging' in front of the TV.

Cheers
Ed
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 01:13 AM UTC
Hi,
I'm a machinery designer....that's fancy talk for draftsman. Been doing this since I graduated from technical school in 1978. Wow..over 25 years now!
I'm in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and engineering stinks here now. All the work here has gone overseas. So, when this finally peters out, I'll get back to you and let you know what my next career is
Craig
MGard
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 01:20 AM UTC
I'm a technician with the phone company.

Mike
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:10 AM UTC
Dear Modelers,

What a diverse lot we are. Thanks to all that have posted. Let's hear from the rest of you.
Many of you have talents I wish I had; artistic, access to drawing and drafting programs for P/E, access to Walthers stuff at a discount...

I have the room, time and can afford my hobby. All I lack is talent. Thanks to Armorama, I'm getter help from all of you to get better.

Look at the number of responses so far. What a blast. Thanks, again.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
Babva
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 141 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC
I'am a welder for the union Boilermakers 502 (Tacoma Wa.) I weld stainless tubes in boilers.

I work at the paper mills and oil refineries here in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska.

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:23 AM UTC
I'm surprised how many telephone engineers are in this post way to go!
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hi Guys, I am an IT Manager/Software Engineer for a large training company for young people in the North East of England. I am mainly employed to write all the companys custom software but I double up as the network engineer, database administrator, pc repair man ie if it looks like a computer I will get lumbered with what ever needs doing to it!

I look after 5 training centres and hopefully next year we are looking to sell our software internationally to other educational establishments. All good fun - plus I get to surf the net a lot - in other words I live here at armorama!

Lee
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:52 AM UTC
I am a purchasing agent for a large general contractor. Not the most exciting job in the world but the company is really solid. They were incorporated in 1902. A lot of people make their professional here. Occassionally someone works for the company for 50 years. These lucky(?) individuals are given a check for $100,000 if they make it to 50. And the company is really nice about it because they actually sign the check when you get to 75 years!
ZoomieE7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:14 AM UTC
Retired USAF NCO, now working as a Special Education Teacher's Aide, to put my wife through Grad School. Best part of the job is that I can access Armorama at work during my teacher's planning period, and no one gripes about it!!! Trying to interest students in modeling, but not much luck so far.
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:16 AM UTC
I'm a 3rd year undergard student in War Studies and when that finishes i plan to do my MPhil/Phd so i can go on and lecture and write.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:26 AM UTC
Software consultant which means I'm part of a team that designs and builds custom business software. Mostly state government work lately. Takes me out of town alot which is a good excuse for why I have a tough time finishing a kit.

Paul
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:28 AM UTC
i work for a company that provides telephone/cable tv/broadband and dial up internet throughout britain.

i work in the moves and transfer department, we oversee the process of moving as customers services from one house to another.

this involves speaking to the customer in the first place over the phone,
all the computer work, creating new accounts etc
co-ordinating techs and switch engineers to ensure all go's to plan,
monitoring everything to ensure the installations are done correctly.

we cover the entire east midlands of england, but often deal with adjacent areas.

its quite a varied job, and its well paid with plenty of commision for upselling customers to better packages etc.

im also a part time musician, we sometimes do gigs in pubs etc, im in a punk/metal band and we mostly play cover versions

cheers

joe
danmo
Visit this Community
Ecuador
entire network: 92 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:33 AM UTC
I served in the Army for 11 years. Now I am consultant in a Security Company.

Danmo
buck
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:36 AM UTC
Am a practising lawyer. Yeah, yeah, the world will be a better place without people like me.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Am a practising lawyer. Yeah, yeah, the world will be a better place without people like me.

No, as long as you're only practicing, it's okay. It's when you actually get to really doing it taht you guys mess things up. #:-)
(just kidding.)
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:47 AM UTC
US & World History High School teacher...

Commercial Real Estate Agent...

and to quote the Godfather when the IRS Auditor asked his occupation:

"A little bit of this and a litt bit of that"

John
www.johnneill.com
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:11 AM UTC
Well I spent 4 years active duty fixing the automotive end of the Bradley Fighting vechicle. I got to serve in a brand new in 1994 MLRS unit with new equipment and then got orders for Germany where I got to work on Desert Storm era M2A2's in 1995, where they where pretty clapped out. I got out in 1997 and went into the National Guard for 4 yrs and got to take care of some CUCV's and and 2 1/2 ton trucks.

I currently work for a Defence Contractor taking care of the hardware end of PC based Simulations we have here. SABOT used to work here, but I just missed meeting him since he transfered to where hes located now as I was going to FL for my training. Not too bad of a gig.

kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:26 AM UTC
Another lawyer here. I am a partner in a small firm (two lawyers) in Houston, Texas. We mostly handle business transactions and litigation. Before I made the decision to go to law school, I was a high school history teacher for many years.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hey Modelers,

98 replies and 1218 visits so far and counting. Why haven't the 1,120 other visitors posted? Oh, well.
Happy New Year!

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)