Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
1/24 Bedford TM Scratchbuild
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 - 09:46 PM UTC
I took a daft turn and worked on the model through the night even though I knew I was going to Braehead near Glasgow for our girls ten pin competition !!!!!!!! Not had any sleep !!!!!!!

I realised that my first tarp was hanging wrong and I came across a pic in my reference of the frame to show where I had gone wrong !!!! I had placed the first and last bow inboard a fraction of the uprights instead of directly above them !!!!!!

Used this tarp as a practice for painting so not totally wasted !!!!!!!!!! You can see the ends of the tarp slope inwards instead of sitting upright !!!!!!!

The tarp side panels have the edges folded for reinforcement so they could be holed for the ropes !!!!!

The rear panel has the edges folded and in the fold I put thin florist wire so that I could role the sheet for posing in the open position !!!!

Having sorted out the f**k up on the bows, I set about making version two of the tarp and went about it slightly different !!!!!! I used croc clips to tension the cling film and sprung tweezers to weight the end vallances !!!!!!!!!

Instead of trying to size the tarp over end to end as well as side to side and risk the tissue tearing, I place a sheet on the top surface from bow to bow without any overhangs !!!!!!! I then made two side strips identical of double thickness tissue with the florist wire in the fold to the depth of the overhang and pasted these on the edge of the first sheet !!!!! Used the hair dryer to speed the drying out !!!!!

I drew the end panels roughly on the tissue and added a fold and florist wire on the bottom edges again !!!!!!!!! Pasted these gently onto the ends and blow dried them before trimming and pasting down the overlaps !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The end and side vallances are much neater and sit straigther and smoother !!!!! Although the whole tarp is very tight and will not be able to come off the frame !!!!!!!!!!!! No biggy there though as I can make another frame up very easily to pose without a tarp !!!!!

While working i rolled the chair over one of the cargo bed corner posts and had to fix it !!!!!!

Hope I don't break any more vital parts !!!!!!!!! The ropes on the side panels were threaded through holes pierced in the tissue with superglue on the end of a cocktail stick pressed in the holemaking a convincing rienforcement ring !!!!!!!!! I might tie down one side and have the other side opened up or the side panels off and folded !!!!!!!!! Still to decide !!!!!

Some pastels and weatheing powders will take some of the sheen off the paint but I like this tarp better now !!!!!!!

Will sleep well tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Nige,

your project is great! That is modelling!

I admire your skills!

Regards,

Sebastian

Thanks Seb for the comments and for looking in !!!!!!!!!!!

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 11:03 AM UTC
At the risk of breaking the frame, I prised it out from under the tarp so that I could introduce the front panel with the proper amount of overlap otherwise it would have sat proud and looked totally wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!

Again tissue and PVA but used the wire to help add a bit of defenition around the communication window to the cab which I am keeping rolled up to let a little more light in and show off the top rail of the headboard which has the detail on it !!!!!!!!

Still got to weather this panel down a little too !!!!!!!!!!

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 11:06 PM UTC
Hi folks

Finally got around to some fettling of plastic during my holidays !!!!!!!!!!!!! All respect to the guys that do master building as a profession and thanks to Paul Hazel for his master to act as a guide !!!!!!!!

As this is my first attempt, mine is a tad more scrappy and varies in as much as my cab is not being built with a view of re-casting !!!!! I only therefor have my self to please !!!!! I also want to have areas through the front grills to be visible, but funnily that will give me more hastle later on as I need to shoe horn the radiator in to a space I already know is not totally available (engine build is slightly too long) !!!!!!

Here is my attempt at a cab with hopefully an ability to display door open and cab interior !!!!!

Against Paul Hazel's master for comparison

Main difference is the size of the pressings and the space over the gearbox unshrouded

Have made the front grill a separate piece which may give more space to fit the radiator in

I rubbed the pressings into the aluminium foil and added them on the inside to mimic the single sheet thickness of the cab (more internal framing to add beside it)

Hope you like

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 03:36 PM UTC
Spent some time shaping the doors which were fairly easy !!!!

Four fly of card cut to shape and temporarily spot glued together to cut the windows and feather the edges

I have gathered up some nice interior photos so will set about fettling some inside bits and bobs soon

Nige
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 04:15 PM UTC
Nige you have done some nice work,great build.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 04:27 AM UTC
Up at the caravan and have taken my model stuff with me to see if I can get my MOJO back on this one !!!!!

Worked a bit more on the cab

Hope these work as has been ages since I posted anything !!!!!

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 10:21 AM UTC
A bit of progress

Got the doors to hinge after a lot of faffing

Started working on the seat support frames and ABC pedals

Hope the hinges last the course

Nige
HEINE-07
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 - 10:41 PM UTC
Doogible>>Thanks for the consistent record here, friend!!! Awesome enterprise!!!
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi Rick

Yet again, I find myself in the model builder's doldrums and can't enthuse myself to get going for the time being !!!!!!

I am gutting my shed and tidying the house work room out, so maybe after I will find some way of getting back on this project !!!!!!

Thanks for looking in and the fine comments

Appreciated

Nige

Quoted Text

Doogible>>Thanks for the consistent record here, friend!!! Awesome enterprise!!!

jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 02:53 PM UTC
This is looking awesome, Nige. Fantastic scratch building.

Jim
DAVID5
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 46 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi Nigel,really really good work ,good to see you' got your mojo back !!!!
David5