Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Official EOD Campaign thread
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 02:38 PM UTC
Justin, that gattling gun looks sweeeeeeet!...and your doing two?! Man, there's a surplus of these gattling guns around here.......COOL! I'm sticking to good ol flame throwers though.....
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 02:38 PM UTC
The eagle flew over my house and left me a very small allowance, so I went to the LHS and splurged on some supplies and goodies (Plastruct, .40, .60 styrene, Xacto miter box, applicator bottle) and I have enough to eat this month Anyway buildon is alive in this house for another month

Remember Justin is a legend (in his own mind) so are most generals You gotta be to be out on the point all by your lonesome and still stay alive HUH! Justin I bow down to your brillance and leadership

Hey OD what color are you going to cover that beast with?

Bob
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 02:41 PM UTC
I'll toss some pics of the rolling chassis up tomorrow..had to scrounge the power cord from the photo booth for the halloween lights yesterday and haven't reinstalled it so no pics till then.
I need to get back going on mine...we have a saying around here..."fish or cut bait"...speaking of bait, where's Herman?!
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 123 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 04:01 PM UTC
As hinted at earlier there's a change in plans.

After many sacrifices of glue and cardstock, the modeling gods have visited upon me a vision of a new path for the EOD. So I'll be putting the halftrack on the proverbial backburner and changing over to the Pibber. I may try to go back to the halftrack, as well as the Mutt, later. So I guess that makes me the Admiral.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 04:30 PM UTC
Self appointed Admiral, I like it at least Justin will have a little company out there. You know us Texans are a pain in anybodies back side so I will play the part some one has to do it and it might as well be litte ole me On the serious side Justin do you have any suggestions on the wheel/track arrangement for my "Wendy"?

Bob
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 02:52 AM UTC
Rip, Will Wendy be a fast scout, a mud honey, or a rock eater? I'd say dune buggy tires and chassis. It's pretty all purpose. You could go all track on it too. There's always rail travel as well.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC
@ GAB: I drew up some ideas and need to play with it a little more to refine what is down on paper. I still want to use the Garrett tubine jet engines for power the power box and drive shafts. Here is a photo of my thoughts.

Photobucket

Bob
vertigo
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 388 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 06:25 AM UTC
I'm liking the look of the top sketch and I'm really looking forward to it evolving.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 06:38 AM UTC
@ vertigo: The top sketch is more of a rock eater as GAB put it, and the bottom sketch is just a down right speed demon

@ Justin: what do ya think?

Bob
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 10:06 AM UTC
So here we go. The base kit is Tamiya's 1/35 PBR 31 Mk.II "Pibber". Here we have the customary picture of the box art and a picture of the kit's sprues.

This picture is of the basic hull assembly. The upper hull didn't want to sit right and the tape had a difficult time holding it on its own. I used popsicle sticks as spanners to seat the clamps on to distribute weight and lessen damage to the hull. In the background is a Humvee of my US Zombie Reaction Squad. I'm using the kit stand to hold the boat while I work on it. It's not attached to the hull.

This picture shows the hull and cabin after being given a base coat of "doo-doo brown". I'm going to give it a few days to dry before doing any more work on it. The cabin and front turret are just sitting on the hull. I plan on doing a great deal of work on the cabin and changing the roof configuration. The interior will be customized.
The figure is from Academy's Vietnam M113 and I'm using him to gauge sizes for custom pieces. I have another figure that I am using to gauge seated positions but it's not in the shot. The drums are Soviet style aux. fuel tanks that I'm mounting on the boat's rear.

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC
Rip, the thing that first came to mind when I saw those drawings was an armored Bobcat. Ever think about maybe an engineering utility style tractor? I imagine there'd be wrecked/abandoned cars blocking roadways, maybe trees down, or piles of destroyed undead that may need to be moved. Maybe add hydraulic arms and a dozer blade or bucket.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 11:38 AM UTC
RIP, my 2 cents...I'm liking the bottom sketch....but with a sadistic twist. Do the tracks as shown but leave enough room undernieth for some curved blades, then make some kind of a counter rotating track "on" the body to fling the bodies to the awaiting blades undernieth and then run over whatever is left.

Too dark...is that possible in this campaign?!
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 11:59 AM UTC
Rip I was at work all day sorry for late reply .i would go with the top one only spread out a little more and lower.On the bottom id put a lawn mower deck with a lowering mechanism course just a thought let your dark side be free .
The Hero thing is a joke between me and Auss and Hermon over a F-14 ejection seat i built.I was just kidding about the general thing again I want to be in the guts I cant let all this ammo go to waste
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 12:01 PM UTC
blue I cant wait to see how you and ripp's ideas come out
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 12:42 PM UTC
@ Justin: You are my HERO with that vehicle I vote you a one star general so that you can get dirty with the rest of us . I like the lawn mower, that is rolling around inside my cavern and making a lot of noise

@ GAB: I never thought of the Bobcat. WOW what an engine that could power that little beast ( Garrett trubine ) to make is so fast it would be like the old Warner Bros. cartoon Speedy Gonzalez (one of my favorites growing up )

@ Bob OD: I can see a rotating disk ( I will put up a photo) like a circular saw blade the width of "Wendy" on a pole arm in the front. Now let me hear your evil idea ( it could germinate an idea in everyone here ) I am all EARS.

Bob
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 03:26 PM UTC
I have mounted both guns and I am trying to work something out with the ammo belts.Have more ideas rolling around more to come......

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 04:13 PM UTC
Justin, You could probably run the ammo feed belts from the geared base from the inside of each gun. Then have a second chute mounted on the outside going back into the base to collect the empty brass. I'm probably putting too much thought into it but I would imagine that in a resource starved EOD scenario the empty brass would be saved to be reloaded. You'd want to do it without obscuring those wonderful looking guns or the auxiliary fuel tanks.

You have to be pleased with how that monster has come out so far.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 05:47 PM UTC
Justin that Hellwagon is off the scale so far mate, great job !!

Have you made the ammo belts yet ?? If not, check this for a neat way to make some up near the bottom of this page , some neat Aussie ingenuity at work.

Cheers, D
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 08:14 PM UTC
@ D. thanks for sharing that link the method looks simple after looking at the photos. I can imagine Justins buggy decked out with the ammo belts.

@ Justin: that wagon is just toooo much on the bad side to be taken lightly, I see a really massive build in the future coming from that side of the country.

Bob
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 10:10 AM UTC
RIP, it's been hectic around these parts lately but I will get the rolling chassis pics up tonight! Now, for the really eveil idea...I'd suggest 4 or so spiked discs on the front like a high speed rototiller to guide the intended to the lower stationary cutting blades....using this variant would give the driver better visibility than the body belt idea....slightly curve the spikes for better grabbing.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 10:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

RIP, it's been hectic around these parts lately but I will get the rolling chassis pics up tonight! Now, for the really eveil idea...I'd suggest 4 or so spiked discs on the front like a high speed rototiller to guide the intended to the lower stationary cutting blades....using this variant would give the driver better visibility than the body belt idea....slightly curve the spikes for better grabbing.

Bob, that is just nasty and causes the driver to clean his vehicle after every run , but I like it.

Bob
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 01:58 PM UTC
Justin has made ammo belts from about four foot of solder Im pretty happy with the way it came out

@ Auss thanks for sharing that's going to be a nice bird when its done

@Rip massive build?
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 02:21 PM UTC
Justin those ammo belts look great.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 02:24 PM UTC
Justin, forget being a general those ammo belts make you a master.

Bob
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 03:31 PM UTC
Justin, I did not understand the question regarding massive?

Bob