Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
ACUTR again, Salute to
guitarlute101
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,121 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 05:12 AM UTC

Not me!!

yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,093 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC
Neither have I...

but I am reconcidering my options... as what to build.
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 02:21 PM UTC
Hi all,
I just enlisted. I have wanted to build a Frigate or a large Corvette of a custom design for some time now and this is a perfect opportunity (and my first scratch build). I won't be scratching the weapons mounts but the hull and superstructure will be from scratch. I won't be able to start for a few months but when I do you can bet on a few questions sent your way.
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 09:13 PM UTC
Ok. I know what I need to build for this. Not the X plane. I have more immediate needs.
Merlin engine mounts and a firewall and cowling mounts for a P-51 mustang. I'm doing the Academy 1/72 Old Crow boxing with a aires merlin exposed.
Also 4 Bristol pegasus for a Sunderland. As the airfix kit parts are missing. I may end up buying or be given these. I'll cast a few as I'm sure there'll be a lot of filing to get them into the nacelles.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 09:30 AM UTC

I have to say that there are some awesome selections out there for subjects. Remember, if you are scratchbuilding a small bit, or, a whole subject, it's a go in this campaign. There IS NO LIMIT large or small.
I'm glad to see some good numbers joining and some good subjects being covered.

I'm going to talk to Matt and get us a main ACUTRagain gallery going.

As far as a thread. When you start a subject, I would make it's own thread in the ModelGeek Campaign forum with ACUTRagain-(Your callsign)-(Subject name) as the title line.

Summer is over in an hour here (Autumnal Equanox), so, back to the shop soon for me!

See ya out there.
Cuhail
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 01:24 PM UTC
Haha, yes, well put

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 11:16 AM UTC
My build is well under way of an M26 armed with four T99 rocket launchers. The M26 is the Tamiya offering which I have gone about as far as I can before the scratch work starts on the Launchers and rockets, I am turning eight M16 4.5 Inch rockets which I will use to make moulds from and then casting them in resin. I have added a few extra home made details to the base kit which you will see when I am happy with its current status, I have also added the Browning M2 and M1919 barrel sets from JB Model and a turned aluminum main gun barrel..

One of these was built at the Detroit Tank Arsenal and sent for trials at the Aberdeen Proving grounds in December 45, the idea was never pursued further and the only pictures I can find are in the R.P. Hunnicut book on the M26. Pictures will be posted Monday or Tuesday.

HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However though I think most people have forgotten about this campaign .........

Not me.....

Here is what I plan on building. This is one of Steven J. Zaloga's drawings from his book "US Army Jeep at War" published by Concord Publications. I had another project in mind but when I saw the drawing I knew that was what my project was going to be.

HARV
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
Nope, not forgotten
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 01:33 PM UTC

By no means is it forgotten. I just stretch myself so durn thin in the summer, I can't put in the bench time.
I think tomorrow, I go down and dig the bench out from swords, scabbards, leather, rivets, etc. and get it ready for modeling again.

Oh, and my subject will still be the engine and wheels for my Railtank.

Cuhail :cool:
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 02:40 PM UTC
Cool guy's , glad to see this one is still on
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
Murph glad to see your back around. I wondered where had got to.

Don't forget me I am starting bright and early tomorow with an armoured gun jeep.

See you in the morning.

yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,093 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 06:42 PM UTC
I am sorry guys, but I am backing out on this one.
I have too much on the bench right now, which I want to get done first + my idea for this campaign, the VT-34, is probably never going to materialize.
The reason for that is that I am going back to the original idea of the dio I wanted to do it for and that has no VT included...

Good luck to you all!
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 09:09 PM UTC
I have a question for the campaign leader: Is it possible to enter this campaign with a project already underway as of the official start date? I realize this goes against normal campaign protocol but seek an exception. I already have two scratch heavy projects underway, one with about 8 hours of work and the other with about 16, both currently shelved, and would prefer to avoid starting a third. Back on February 14, Bob (old-dragon) asked a similar question but I cannot find a response to his query.

Regardless of the answer, I will participate if time permits.

-Doug
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 09:32 AM UTC
Here are a couple of pictures of what I have been playing with so far.

Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 05:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

originally posted by yeahwiggie
I am sorry guys, but I am backing out on this one.
I have too much on the bench right now, which I want to get done first + my idea for this campaign, the VT-34, is probably never going to materialize.
The reason for that is that I am going back to the original idea of the dio I wanted to do it for and that has no VT included...

Good luck to you all!

That's unfortunate. See below....

Quoted Text

originally posted by Damraska
I have a question for the campaign leader: Is it possible to enter this campaign with a project already underway as of the official start date? I realize this goes against normal campaign protocol but seek an exception. I already have two scratch heavy projects underway, one with about 8 hours of work and the other with about 16, both currently shelved, and would prefer to avoid starting a third. Back on February 14, Bob (old-dragon) asked a similar question but I cannot find a response to his query.

Regardless of the answer, I will participate if time permits.

-Doug

Doug, you can focus on any one, individual part from any project on your bench. I am doing a diesel engine and trucks here in ACUTR for a project train I'm doing for another campaign.
If you read the rules of the campaign, you'll notice the parameters are very broad and with VERY few limitations. This campaign has little interest, in all honesty, in the finished model, but, more towards the individual parts, sections and modifications involved in bringing the finished model to a new level.
Even such minor things as using toothpicks to model a trench retaining wall can be used to include yourself in this campaign. There are no limitations.

@Darren- Nice armatures. Nice scratching! This is a great example of the modeling we're looking for here. Large or small, it applies. If you scratch/bash it, post it, submit it, show it off!

Thanks all!
Cuhail :cool:
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you read the rules of the campaign, you'll notice the parameters are very broad and with VERY few limitations. This campaign has little interest, in all honesty, in the finished model, but, more towards the individual parts, sections and modifications involved in bringing the finished model to a new level.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, Cuhail. I am wrapping up another project and should be aboard in a week or two with progress.

-Doug
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you for the detailed explanation, Cuhail. I am wrapping up another project and should be aboard in a week or two with progress.

-Doug

Hey, you bet! I'm hoping this campaign will bring in folks from ALL the KitMaker realms. Tanks to trains, Sci-fi to ships afloat. Every model most of us do has some mid-to-moderate scratchbuilding involved. This is a campaign that fits them all!

Have fun! Remember, do a Build Log thread with ACUTR in the title so we know to check it out!

Cuhail
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 03:11 PM UTC
As soon as the custom caddy is finished, this is on the block

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/265884

however, the tires, I do not have a clue...

Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 03:32 PM UTC

KSO,
That is one awesome specimen of "Cool Truck". Are you starting with a base kit and adding all the bits to convert it?

Very cool.
Cuhail
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 03:45 PM UTC
Yes, a base kit. The ESCI/ERTL M998 kit is all I have in 1/35 right now, so that will be the starting point

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 06:04 PM UTC
I guess tomorrow, after running a few errans, I should at least sort through the boxes looking for wagon wheels, WC .30, and either a horse or mule to use.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 04:54 AM UTC
Dave,

I have a Tamiya mule from their farm animal set and I also have some extra wagon wheels if you need them. Just let me know.

HARV
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hey folks, here are some progress shots of my build. Its the M172 lowboy trailer. Im building it to put behind my M52A1 5 ton truck which is also scratch but Im not entering it. This campaign has motivated me to finish both projects. Still have alot of small stuff left to scratch on the M172.

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 06:47 PM UTC
looks a promising build you have there Keenan, and a very good level of detail judging by the underside taking shape.