Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
What makes Armorama such a friendly site?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 11:44 PM UTC
This is absolutly the most friendly site that I know of! I have never seen a flame war even started here. That is unheard of for most all sites! And the support we have here for each other is first class.
Why is this? what makes this such a great site?

I think the number one factor is our commander, Staff Jim! What a big job it must be holding all of this together, and making it all work! And that it does.
Also, I feel good people hang out with good people. We all just want to get along and share in this great hobby of ours! I have always looked at Armorama as my modeling club. The only one I belong to! So in the end, I have to say that it is the people that make Armorama the great site it is!

Ok, off my soap box now.

Cheers mates,

Garry
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 11:56 PM UTC
Subject: What makes Armorama such a friendly site?

We're all modellers, talking to other modellers. No axes to grind, and all appreciative of each others work no matter what the discipline - armour, aircraft, figures, ships; all get the same attention.
Answer your question ok?
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 12:11 AM UTC
hmmm Dave...

there are some modelling forums too...and the people there are also modellers..but..they are damn rude! They also love to give nasty comments...

i'm not sure what's the magic here...

but what i'm sure is, the great work by our almighty Staff Jim!

Thanks for this site Jim and not forgetting the wonderful people here!
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 12:34 AM UTC
Firstly its down to Jim and the way the Armorama was set up that created a site that seems to be unique in that we all get on, and over 5000 of us getting on is a great achievement.
Also I think its down to trust. We trust each other to be as helpfull as possible. At no other site, to my knowledge, would you find so many people going miles out of their way to help or give up ''trade-secrets" or offer simple honest opinions and helpful advise.

Before I became a member I was a frequent visitor and quickly realised no one was going to cold shoulder me for not knowing something. And all this with bags of fun too.
We all pull each others legs and have a few jokes, but at no-ones expense.
We debate issues in a way where anothers' views are taken on board .

Last but certainly not least is the back room boys and moderators who do a splendid job making sure the machine is well oiled...and you need look no further than the cyber bar to see "oiling" in action...lol.

Thanks
Cheers
Peter

Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 12:38 AM UTC
What makes it such a friendly site is very simply... that it's run by very friendly people.
* Everybody is welcome to ask and/or comment.
* Everybody is welcome to show his work, regardless of his level of model building expertise.
* Even I, an Arab, was accepted and welcome. And I can't tell you how many sites did not accept me because of where I'm from. I think this alone is enough reason to vote it the friendliest site.

So, keep up the friendly attitude and hope the number of this kind of members just keeps growing.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:00 AM UTC
I think it because we are all round good guys
Arthur
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What makes it such a friendly site is very simply... that it's run by very friendly people.
* Everybody is welcome to ask and/or comment.
* Everybody is welcome to show his work, regardless of his level of model building expertise.
* Even I, an Arab, was accepted and welcome. And I can't tell you how many sites did not accept me because of where I'm from. I think this alone is enough reason to vote it the friendliest site.

So, keep up the friendly attitude and hope the number of this kind of members just keeps growing.

Hisham, I know how you feel...
...I'm Chicago Irish! :-)
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:22 AM UTC
I agree with everyone, that this is the only site that I found that poeple go out of there way for other members. Till I came and found this site just by chance on a search engine that the whole world was evil and rude and uncaring.

Then I started to post and join the forums and fianally start a campaign that there are still a lot of good people out there. I feel every one helps so that this is considered a club and not just a forum , like other forums they are just there to boost about how good they are. And consider themselfs professionals and that anyone who hasn't made a model for a magazine is beneath them. Here it is different most of the poeple here do awsome things to improve not just there own skills but one anothers skills.

No one is better than another in level of modeling skill. I believe there are no dumb questions here only great answer and it doesn't matter how basic a anwer is or how vague a question is the people here will try to answer to there best ability.

Armorama is much more than a modeling forum and a club but also a great bunch of friends help to deal with mental issues and lend a ear or advice or a place just to express there feelings about all sorts of issues.Other forums only allow modeling talk and discourage talk about whats wrong or going right in your personal life here it is encouraged.

Thats just how I feel.

THANKS EVERYBODY

Happy Modeling
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hey Cuhail, I've been to Chicago before when the whole river was green.. and that green beer too!!!
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:57 AM UTC
I think that another reason that this site is so friendly is that there is no opportunity for stereotypes to form. Everything here is based so that one has the opportunity to get to know the personality, likes, dislikes, quirks, etc. of everyone without ever seeing that person's picture. Honestly, it is like the TRON guy in another post. Even though he may look nerdy, he may very well be someone that is very likeable. Who knows, maybe he even walks among us. :-)
Kyle
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 03:26 AM UTC
I believe because the majority of us try to practice a few simple principles.
1. The good of the site comes first.
2. The site is to encourage the enjoyment of the hobby.
3. The site is to encourage the improvement of our modelling skills.
4. That all of us, reguardless of race, religion, nation, or sex all share a common interest, and through this common interest, strive to become not only better modellers, but also better human beings. (even with our seemingly insane babble and strange senses of humor) Maybe by becoming better human beings, we can actually improve the rest of the "world" into a little love and kindness, by gluing things together, instead of blowing things, and each other up.

At least that's what I see, after lurking around the site for many months, I actually joined. Then a while later I decided to put a few bucks in to the operation of the site. If I have a cash vested interest in the site, I'm certainly not going to allow that investment get ruined.
Jim does a great job of keep "law and order". Having to register before you can post, helps keep the trolls out, and the A-Guard is exactly that, a little more than just a Tee-shirt, and patch.

well just my 2 cents, with inflation worth about .0000002 cents.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 03:43 AM UTC
Grumpyoldman, I couldn't have said it better. Your points are all excellent and very true. I feel the same way.

In addition to Staff Jim's hard work, I would like to compliment the moderators and contributors of Armorama as well. After all, It isn't only the builder of a house that makes it a home!!

I have met what I consider to be the best people in the hobby here on Armorama. To me, a good modeler requires more than just skill. I think you need to be a good person. That is my .02 cents!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 03:48 AM UTC
I think The "happy" atmosphere is another thing, sites like missing lynx, all the have is a name, so there is nothing to associate the person with and you become anonymous.

Pheonix-1! You stole my avatar!

Just Kidding!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 05:06 AM UTC
what makes Armorama such a friendly site?
the answer is ARMORAMA makes itself such a friendly site because we all think ARMORAMA is a part of us and WE are parts of Armorama.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what makes Armorama such a friendly site?
the answer is ARMORAMA makes itself such a friendly site because we all think ARMORAMA is a part of us and WE are parts of Armorama.

I realy never thought of it that way before Engin, But your right. Thats a great and simple way of thinking about it!

Best regards,

Garry
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 07:00 AM UTC
Nice topic.

But before I get elevated to demi-god status I think it's only fair to point out that I do not spend anywhere NEAR the time working on the site and user issues as I did during the first 2 years of its existence. That said a great amount of the work has been done by the rest of the staff. As well the members have always shown a good deal of courtesy in dealing with each other and that says a lot too.

:)

Cheers,
Jim
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 07:22 AM UTC
I AM Armorama! Therefore I think! #:-)
Ya know, I used to work at a Nudist Resort in Michigan. I found that when you meet someone with no clothes on, there are no pre-concieved judgements that clothes give off. No Izod alligators or Tommy Hilfiger labels to give an idea about who that person tries to be. Armorama is like that, people accepted for thier choice of interest with no judgement at first site. I love that.
I also learned to look a person in the eye when I talk to them. :-)

...and no, I am not a nudist. I GUARDED the nudists.
...and yes, it was my pleasure.

Cuhail

P.S. 78% of nudists should keep thier clothes on! But that last 22%, WOW!
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 07:45 AM UTC
I don't want to analyze it too much. I agree with what has all been said. All of you make this site so great to be a part of.
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 08:22 PM UTC
Living out here in the boonies I miss the interaction with other modelers I used to enjoy at my LHS. When I found Armorama, it was like coming home again. Thanx, guys.

Hisham:
Before I moved, I used to take my boat down the river when it was green. Quite an experience.

Cuhail:
Now that I moved to Michigan, where IS that nudie camp?????
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 01:46 AM UTC
Sorry Art, the Turtle Lake Resort is no more. It closed a few years ago. It WAS about 25 minutes south of Battle Creek it a very small town called Union City. Sorry man.

Cuhail
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

very small town called Union City.

That's amazing.... I grew up (well actually I have certainly not acheived that yet, just got a lot older!!!) in Union City ..... New Jersey. I never knew there was a Union City out west. (anything west of Paterson, New Jersey was out west when I was a kid)
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:25 AM UTC
We all have the same hobby. We all stand to learn from each other no matter how experienced you are or good you think you are. It is ike a club meet that goes on indefinitely. i visit the site everyday and even found an internet cafe on holidays to visit. Its become part of my routine at home.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 05:48 PM UTC
There are several reasons that this site works in the way it does...

Firstly, and it may seem like nonsense to some of the newer members, but unlike other sites, we don't have a current affairs forum on the site - this (on other sites) causes more problems than you could imagine!

Secondly, most of us are desperate to communicate - even the most (apparently) obvious question is treated with courtesy and consideration..

Thirdly, as perhaps Armorama was started after some of the other 'big' sites, it was created not as a copy of them, but as something very different - in other words it didn't make the same mistakes as others..

Fourthly, the 'Human Element' - perhaps we are no different from the modellers on other sites - but we are operating in a less tense environment than others are, this site is cooperative rather than conflictive...

Just my 2 centavos - Jim
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 04:46 AM UTC
Just another thought-Our so-called world leaders could learn a few things from Armorama!

Art
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 05:16 AM UTC
Why is this a great site?

Whell all the anwsers above have already anwsers that, but for me personaly is that this site is not only an online "club" for me but also a real one

I had the pleasure to hook up with several of my Belgium and Dutch modeling friends and we heve been meeting ever since (field trips, modeling events, workshops ....)

This for me is simply amazing and fantastic, I realy hope that other memebers can meet each other and go to some events togheter and who knows, ane day there could be a INTERNATIONAL ARMORAMA MEETING, what a fun that would be