Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
what age did you join up?
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 09:26 PM UTC
568armor
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 07:06 AM UTC
was going to join navy but none near home so went to marine but he was out to lunch army was in and there you have it 19
Removed by original poster on 07/09/06 - 22:33:44 (GMT).
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 03:38 AM UTC
Joined the Royal Anglians (infantry) at 21. Transferred to the RAMC after 4 years as a carrer move and hated it as it wasn't my idea of fun so left. Should have stayed in the infantry!
armydude2118
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:52 AM UTC
17 been a greasemonkey with the army ever since
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 14,499 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:04 AM UTC
Greetings all,

Joined up at 16 and a half. Too old for the full period as a Junior Leader so I got sent to the Guards Depot as a Junior Guardsman .I did Junior Recruit training and then up to the Final Stage and passout to Adult Recruit Training again for an ameded period of time, best I can recall the last 6 weeks of Battle Training and then Passed out again. Got both Best Junior irish Guardsman and Best Irish Guards Recruit. Loved it, as I was a mad sportsman anyway and the harder they pushed the more I enjoyed it.

Had to get my Mums permission for my first posting to HK as I was still under 18 at the time. Always thought that was funny, you can die for you country but only if your Mum says so!!!! :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 09:45 AM UTC
Al, my mom still moans about me joining the army 18 yrs later on! MInd you could have been worse I suppose. If I hadn't got expelled from school I'd have got my A levels then gone for a commission. Now that would have p**sed the family off as we've never had a Rupert in the family as we've only ever been NCO's :-)
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:22 AM UTC
Hi Karl,

Mine was OK about it, always said make your own decisions but live with what you do. I think like all Moms she worried at times thought.

If I had finished the 22 a commission would have been quite possible, but I never really saw myself in that way. You just reach a point where it's time to move on. Have to say thought that I learnt so much in the service and made so many life long friends it was difficult to leave. Always had a real sense of purpose if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Al
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 09:26 AM UTC
I've never been able to understand why anyone joins the Navy.Having said that my grandad was Royal Marines and two gt uncles were Royal Navy in WW2. Just looking at a boat on the water makes me feel sick. I did a rigid raider assault exercise when I was in Gibraltar in the late 80's and thought I was going to puke when we were transferring to the raiders. Everyone moved up as they thought I was going to puke. I was so relieved to get back on dry land even though I was soaked from the neck down. Then they made me climb a f***ing cliff! I hate heights! If I'd wanted to be a commando I'd have joined the RM. I joined the infantry because I didn't have to jump out of planes, go on the sea or climb high things! I got shafted! I was half expecting a helicopter to appear ,pick me up, then they'd boot me out with a chute attached to me just to ruin my day even more! No they didn't do that just made me abseil off a cliff at endex. Great just what I needed. Absolutely knackered and they make me jump off a cliff on a bit of string. I think when I eventually have kids I'm telling them join the RM and go para qualified because that way no-one can f**k up your day and make you do things you're not expecting. :-) :-)
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 11:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now that would have p**sed the family off as we've never had a Rupert in the family as we've only ever been NCO's :-)

Now that is funny. Same in my family. Though when I was stationed as an enlisted soldier at West Point my Dad told all of his friends I was "going to West Point," kind of implying I was a cadet, not a worker bee. The U.S. Military Academy at West Point is a weird place for enlisted folks.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 12:48 PM UTC
Hi Karl,

If I hadn't gone into the army it would probably have been the Navy. I love the sea, boats and stuff. One of my Uncles was in the RN during WW2 stationed in the Far East. Never talked about his experiences so can't say much more than that. Have a cousin or two who joined the Merchant Navy.

Cheers

Al
painterdave
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 09:53 AM UTC
I was 20. Went from basic to Berlin in 79. All spit and polish(even the vehicles). If I can dig up the photos I'll post them here. The M-60's looked quite nice with a gloss paint job. We used to wipe down the jeeps with baby oil to put a nice shine on them tires and all. I finished up my hitch in the 101st.
Wezz
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 826 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 07:58 PM UTC
I went 'in' at the age of 21, went trough my basic training and went to Marche Les Dames for my training as Paracommando. A week before the tests I went down. I got injured at my left leg. They didn't fount anything after some tests and said it was all in my head.
I could just walk. And it hurt a lot!
So the re-assigned me to Bevrijding 5de Linie. An infantry battalion.
I couldn't pick in the training there so they've put me on non-active.
Still in so much pain, and I could just walk, I retired in October 2005.

TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 08:33 AM UTC
I was 17 when I shipped out turn 18 during AIT at Fort Knox. A week before Graduation.

Tom
jhoog59
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 05:53 PM UTC
20, Wanted to join the air force but I had to wait to long to get the job I wanted so I joined the navy. Stayed for 4 years then went to the reserves till my squadron was decommisioned.
Jim
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 08:20 AM UTC
I joined the Navy Reserves at age 17 in 1963. Was trained as a radio operator (that's how I learned to type...such as it is...4 letter groups of CW eight hours a day) and then as a fire control technician. Was in college and did 2 week training sessions each year until 1967. Transferred to the Marines so I could go to Vietnam. Was commissioned as a 2nd Lt. in 1967 and went on active duty. Stayed until 1974.
armorstuv
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 99 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 09:57 AM UTC
21st birthday 1990 happy birthday.............22nd birthday orders for desert shield happy birthday again
seuss95b
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 03:34 PM UTC
I was 17 and joined the Army in 1998. I then spent the next six years as a military police soldier in other countries. Won't trade it for anything.
Monsoon
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 81 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 05:37 AM UTC
I was 17 when I enlisted. Mom and Dad had to sign the paperwork!
metalhead85
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 05:55 AM UTC
I signed when I was 17, then went in three weeks after graduating high school at age 18. US Army Infantry, Airborne, then Army Reserves Military Police in Bosnia, Air National Guard Security Forces in Krgystan, and now in Iraq ! Almost 22 years in-this is my last deployment ! Wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world. Happy Holidays and Merry Xmas to all-
SSgtMack
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 12:03 PM UTC
I was 17 when I joined the Delayed Entry Program. I was in Boot Camp 1 week after graduating high school. Went to boot camp in MCRD San Diego (that's right- a Hollywood Marine), went to MCT and SOI in Camp Pendleton. I spent 10 years in the Marine Corps and have no regrets.
God bless all the service members home and abroad. Keep your head down and stay safe!

Semper Fi!
kiwisoldier
Visit this Community
New Plymouth, New Zealand
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 01:55 AM UTC
joined NZ Army at 17 1/2 got sent to the best training area in the world and loved it so much stayed for 12 years. Saw some sh t did some sh t and loved it .
:-)
horsegunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 239 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 01:37 AM UTC
Enlisted with the Canadian Forces at 16. (Originally signed my papers at 15, but had to wait). I did not want to follow my father and my brothers down a coal shaft in Cape Breton. I wanted to see the world.
Retired at age 39. As the recruiter said " Theres no life like it!! ".

Ubique

Horsegunner.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:28 AM UTC
reported NTC SanDiego 17 yrs 3mos.
Austin0311
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 04:52 AM UTC
I was 17 and a half when I joined the USMC delayed entry program and 18 and a half when I went to boot camp.