Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Ladies Progress Only
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 12:13 PM UTC
Terri it looks fabulous. love the ammo for the gun too.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 04:11 PM UTC
Wow, some great in-progress shots. Wendy, I struggle with figures, and yours looks stunning as is. I'm with Terri in wondering what you mean by blending, and how you achieve it.

And Terri, your plane is looking great, and that prop is outstanding. Did you use oils to get that finish? I've never seen a more realistic grain effect.

Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers,
Mike

thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 02:04 AM UTC
Thank-you Emma , Kelly and Mj for the kind words .

Mj , I painted the prop with acrylics ! Every thing was sprayed black first then I brushed coat on testors wood and once this was dried I dry brushed tamiya brown ( few light passes) after this dried a thin coat of clear orange .
Wendy
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 260 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow , looking excellent Wendy , now I can't wait to see the rest of it ! How did you do the blending of the colours , or what colours did you use ?

Thanks Terri. Mike, and Emma. (Yeah, I'm a bit of a perfectionist...that's why there's so many half finished fig laying around. )

Here's a tutorial which uses the same face colors as I.

Here's a tutorial on how to get the appearance of blending (for those of us who use acrylics only - oils are a whole different matter).

To sum up though, thinned paint and lots of layers.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC
Very interesting Wendy , thanks for sharing the links . Something I will have to study for a while and try it out on some old aircraft figures . Looking forward to seeing some more of your progress .
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 04:39 AM UTC
Small up date on the weathering and rigging . Still have a little of the weathering which will be done after the forward rigging is finished . Once that is done the tail plane will be next .

GunLayer
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:53 AM UTC
Great weathering Terri - very subtle. I love the faded and worn look you've given the fabric covering of the wings and the decals just blend right in. And I also think you've done a great job on the paint chipping around the outside of the cockpit.
GunLayer
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:03 PM UTC
Wendy I meant to say thanks for the links - I'll be referring to them in the New Year when I start a couple of figures for the Maximise and Airbourne campaigns (after I've finished my build for this campaign though!) I started painting the face of the Alpine Minitaures' Panzer Officer "Groždeutschland" a while back but am not happy with the result. From you're posts I think my problem stems from being too heavy handed with too thick paint. Luckily the figure came with two heads so I'm going try out the thin layers of paint approach.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC
Thank-you or the comments Emma . I used some of my make-up and Tried out Tamiya weathering pastels for the first time .

I'm almost done the rigging on the main wings now and will have pic's up of this soon .

Looking forward to see pic's of build
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 02:49 AM UTC
The forward rigging is now finished ................

Still have a few more things to do , but this is what I have gotten done so far ......
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 06:28 PM UTC
Small up date ....tail planes are glued back on and the black trim along the edges are painted on . next will be the rigging , pic's up soon .
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 01:24 AM UTC
It's finished ! I will have some pic's up soon as soon as I get new batteries for the camera .

How are the rest of you gals doing ?
Wendy
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's finished ! I will have some pic's up soon as soon as I get new batteries for the camera .

How are the rest of you gals doing ?

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Looking good so far Terri. How do you get the rigging so tight? (Shows how much I know about planes and stuff. )

I'm treading water on my guy. I've been painting non-stop for the last month trying to meet a deadline (which was yesterday - yay!). I'll have more time to get some done on him, but first a day off and a trip to the chiropractor after being scrunched up painting so much.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 02:21 PM UTC
Well this has been a very frustrating build for me , find myself again knocking off the tail planes , repair is almost done will have it finished tonight and post some pic's .

Thanks Wendy , rigging can be a chore at times .
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 02:42 AM UTC
Okay here is the finished model ................

So there you have it after breaking off the tail planes 4 times and the rudder 3 times it is now safe in the display case .

Still haven't heard from a few of the other ladies at all here . Can you please post an up date to where you are in your builds .
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 04:19 AM UTC
Terri, that is one beautiful Morane-Saulnier . You can't tell the problems you encountered with the paint, and the tail planes...it looks great !! The rigging really looks fantastic - I know what a pain that can be.

Congrats on a great build, you should be very proud of it.

Cheers,
Mike

thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 03:11 AM UTC
Thanks MJ , it was one of my more frustrating builds , which is funny it's out of box ! The only things I added was the pully on the mast and the tail skid struts , kit ones where to short .
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 01:49 AM UTC
Okay Ladies , 9 days are left to have your builds done . This is the standing so far .

Kelly , finished
Terri , finished
Penny ,
Pam ,
Emma ,
Wendy ,
Danielle ,
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:02 AM UTC
Great airplane Terri. to bad you had all that trouble but it sure turned out nice.
Kelly
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:13 PM UTC
Thanks Kelly ! It had it's moments !!!!
Wendy
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay Ladies , 9 days are left to have your builds done . This is the standing so far .

Kelly , finished
Terri , finished
Penny ,
Pam ,
Emma ,
Wendy ,
Danielle ,

D'oh, I thought the deadline was the end of the month. Well, better get going. At least I've finally picked out the heraldry. Better figure out the groundwork soon too.

And your plane looks really nice Terri.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hey Terri,
I too thought I had until the end of the month, but no problem. I am currently filling the seam lines and ejector-pin marks, but hope that I can get it completed by the due date.

If I have to take parts of the kit with me to therapy to get it done, then that's what I'll do. Since mostly all I do is sit there for the electrode, and deep muscle treatment.

thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 01:54 PM UTC
Okay gals , there seems to be some confusion here on the ending date . I don't want you guys to rush so end of the month sounds fine . If more time is needed please let me know well in advance . Thanks .

Terri
GunLayer
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hi Gals

Apologies for the recent no show. This is the first time I've been on-line since my last post. Have been ill for the past three weeks with what started as bad head cold and which has developed into some viral flu type lurgy thing that I can't seem to shake off. It's the bug of the moment here in Scotland! Currently signed off my work by the Doc. Have absolutely no idea how long this is going to go on for ... and so have no idea when I'll feel fit enough to resume the build. Don't want to give any further false impressions regarding when I'll get the build completed so think it best that I bow out. I'm very disappointed about having to pull out and I hope you don't all feel I've let you down ... not the best way to introduce myself to you all. But looking on the bright side, I've enjoyed watching everyone's progress and the banter, and I'll post up a photo of the Corsair once it is finally finished (and I will finish it!).
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:44 AM UTC
Hi Emma,
Please.... don't feel that way. I just hope that you do what you can to get yourself back in good health. You haven't let me down at all. Health comes first. If you don't feel up to par, then your builds too are not up to par.

Get better!