TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
10 most inaccurate movies
PBR_Streetgang
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:49 PM UTC
Previous posters...

So true! Make an attempt, but just sit back and be entertained.

However, I do have to say I agree with most that Battle of the Bulge was terrible. Compare that to Midway of the same basic time period, which showed stock footage and all (maybe the long shots of the carriers were more modern carriers, I am not sure.) But it was just poor.

It ended with them rolling barrels of gas down the road to stop Pieper, who needed the fuel. But the damn battle went on for, what, 3 more months? No mention of that...

I don't agree that CGI graphics add realism, however. For something like Lord of the Rings, maybe. But when you saw the model of Discovery on 2001, it was 65 feet long. It LOOKED real. Nothing like a great, well-made, well-researched prop.

Bill B.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It ended with them rolling barrels of gas down the road to stop Pieper, who needed the fuel.

I guess that is why I have such of a beef with the movie.

Peiper actually captured a fuel dump at Honsfield BUT he was stopped pure and simple by Combat Engineers and Paratroopers digging in, fighting and beating the alleged "uber soldiers".

TO my mind that would be a far better story than rolling fuel drums at a 70 tonne tank.

I guess that is what kills a movie for me. I can handle that a rifle might be a Mk2 when it should be a Mk1 but when they make up a tale of bollocks that ignores or belittles the real efforts of those involved I get a little steamed .............

OH look, a soap box, how did that get there ? ....... best hop off it !
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 10:44 PM UTC
The expression "based on" gives film makers a lot of license. Of the topic a bit, but I recently saw a program that was a crime documentary/investigative story about a girl who was abducted, held for several days by her captors. murdered and dumped. From the beginning they got everything wrong. The fact was the guy bumped the girl with his van while she was at a stop sign. When she got out to check for damage, he dropped her with a stun gun. The documentary said he shot her in the head with a .22 rifle which he had loaded with rounds with the bullets removed, filled with water and them frozen. In essence,he supposedly shot her with a .22 caliber ice cube. It went straight downhill from there. The only truth to what they reported was the victim's name, where she worked, where it happened, and where her body was dumped. Everything else was 100% wrong even though the cops and prosecutor involved were part of the story. After that I don't believe anything that series reports on.

Not exactly a war move but i think it's a good example how a little truth can go a long way. Yes, there was a Second World War and that's all the truth that's needed to base any yarn on. It doesn't stop me from enjoying many of the movies, even the ones people groan about. The truth is, most people forget them by the next day anyway. It's only those of us with an interest in history for whatever reason who really care anyway.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2011 - 11:44 PM UTC
Just watched "Tobruk" with Rock Hudson and George Peppard. The Germans have Pattons and Walker Bulldogs. There isn't even an attempt at making them look like WWII era tanks. There are some halftracks I've never seen before and I just bought the book of Germany's ground forces during the war. I won't even get started on the color of the DAK vehicles. At least it had a real Spitfire and P-40 in it. The rest was purely fictional.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 10:02 AM UTC
@ Matt -not to be contrary or anything but more of a re-enforcement of a point I tried to make let me ask this: Out of all the people who ever saw Tobruk what percentage of the audience would you estimate knew the tanks and armored cars were wrong?

Whatever your answer I see it from the film maker's point. All that information was available and ad visors plentiful. Would the extra effort, cost, and time involved to re-skin those tanks and other vehicles been wasted? Absolutely! Too few people knew the difference, fewer cared. And even had he skinned them people would be saying what an awful job they did and how the road wheels gave away what they were, they were too short, long, tall, squat, narrow, wide, the muzzle brake was too many degrees to the left, the MG mount was wrong, etc. . (Not unlike the skinned T 34s as Tigers in Kelly's Heroes) If it wasn't that, it would be something else.

I'm with about everyone here in that I would love to see a WWII war film about some major event rendered correctly, or even a fictional tale with the 'right stuff' in it. Maybe in this era of computer animation and generation something like that could be done cost effectively. But with war movies far and few between and what seems like little public interest in them I doubt we'll ever see another big budget WWII movie. WWI is about forgotten which, despite it's 'issues' I did appreciate the movie Flyboys for putting it back in the public consciousness however briefly.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 10:10 AM UTC
Be that as it may. Hollywood films are big budget. Even in older movies, models could be used to render vehicles. And yes, with the Vietnam War under way, many (and I mean MANY) people would recognize a modern tank. The least the film makers could have done would be to add some camo netting to obscure the obviously incorrect vehicle. The most, pay some prop shop to build them a few models. Panzers were easy enough to find, after the war. The exception being Tigers and King Tigers. These are inaccuracies, as this title states it to be. If you want to defend Hollywood, move to Cali, graduate from law school and become a lawyer. Otherwise, take a moment of pause and realize that Hollywood does make correctible errors. And, it seems that there are quite a few of them dealing with military movies. Go find a brick wall to argue with until then.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But with war movies far and few between and what seems like little public interest in them I doubt we'll ever see another big budget WWII movie. WWI is about forgotten which, despite it's 'issues' I did appreciate the movie Flyboys for putting it back in the public consciousness however briefly.

I think the genre is still well served in modern times, Saving Pvt Ryan, Kokoda, Enemy at the Gates, Valkyrie, Downfall and as for WW1 Beneath Hill 60 and Warhorse. All big budget films and as I recall mostly quite accurate in terms of the general story.

I agree with you whole heartedly tho' that most can't spot technical errors and fewer care.

I believe what is important is the accuracy of the story so that the ill informed DON'T end up with the impression that the city of Trobruk became famous because an American and Canadian in the LRDG attempted to blow up the Afrika Korps fuel supplies.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

..Micheal Bay has many cock ups in his movies ..Bad Boys 2 was another one of his with some cock ups ..like the H2 flying down a hill and you can clearly see the wing mirror going south in one shot and when it lands at the bottom its back on ..paying attention to detail would have fixed that problem but i enjoyed this movie ..

every movie and TV show has this.
Dukes of hazzard is a prime example. it wouldnt have been a lucrative series if it wasnt for this.the amount of vehicles they jumped and trashed during that jump is in the thousands. yet, the vehicle is still drivable afterwards
gone in 60 seconds would be another example.

But, if it werent for fixing such things like vehicles before the next shot or using another vehicle, you wouldnt be able to complete the movie.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But with war movies far and few between and what seems like little public interest in them I doubt we'll ever see another big budget WWII movie. WWI is about forgotten which, despite it's 'issues' I did appreciate the movie Flyboys for putting it back in the public consciousness however briefly.

I think the genre is still well served in modern times, Saving Pvt Ryan, Kokoda, Enemy at the Gates, Valkyrie, Downfall and as for WW1 Beneath Hill 60 and Warhorse. All big budget films and as I recall mostly quite accurate in terms of the general story.

I agree with you whole heartedly tho' that most can't spot technical errors and fewer care.

I believe what is important is the accuracy of the story so that the ill informed DON'T end up with the impression that the city of Trobruk became famous because an American and Canadian in the LRDG attempted to blow up the Afrika Korps fuel supplies.

i think the last major motion picture i remember was the one about rescuing the prisoners from a Japanese prison camp- the Great Raid maybe? one of the premium cable channels had a series called Generation Kill about a unit in Iraq. i found it excellent in entertainment value terms but it lasted one season. Bomb Squad Afghanistan is fascinating but is on G4 rather than a major network. going back through my memory there was Flyboys, Three Kings or whatever the Kelly's Heroes-esque military unit goes off to find gold/loot, the terrible Brown/Red Baron film and i can't think of much else beyond what you mentioned.

Platoon was 1986, Saving Private Ryan was 1998, Kokoda was 2006 (haven't seen it), Valkyrie was 2008, Enemy at the Gates was 2001, Downfall was 2004. The two WWI films you mentioned were 2010 and 2011 and i haven't seen or heard about either although Netflix will be my next stop after this.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 08:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

..Micheal Bay has many cock ups in his movies ..Bad Boys 2 was another one of his with some cock ups ..like the H2 flying down a hill and you can clearly see the wing mirror going south in one shot and when it lands at the bottom its back on ..paying attention to detail would have fixed that problem but i enjoyed this movie ..

Dukes of hazzard is a prime example. it wouldnt have been a lucrative series if it wasnt for this.the amount of vehicles they jumped and trashed during that jump is in the thousands. yet, the vehicle is still drivable afterwards

But, if it werent for fixing such things like vehicles before the next shot or using another vehicle, you wouldnt be able to complete the movie.

i still shake my head thinking of how many classic Chargers were destroyed in that series. the one other horrific thing that still makes me shudder was the wrecking of that classic Indian motorcycle in the beginning of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? i keep telling myself it was all CGI...
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

i still shake my head thinking of how many classic Chargers were destroyed in that series. the one other horrific thing that still makes me shudder was the wrecking of that classic Indian motorcycle in the beginning of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? i keep telling myself it was all CGI...

i found online that 317 chargers were used during the making of the show and 26 were used in the most recent movie. a total of 17 remain.

That is alot of waste for such a classic and iconic vehicle. thats not even counting other cars that were wrecked in the show
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i found online that 317 chargers were used during the making of the show and 26 were used in the most recent movie. a total of 17 remain.

That is alot of waste for such a classic and iconic vehicle. thats not even counting other cars that were wrecked in the show

there was an episode of the Jesse James series where he'd do a challenge that was completing some kind of car in a limited time. i can't remember if it was Monster Garage or a series that came after. i had already developed an attitude about him and his arrogant, too cool for the room ways. on this show he was going to build a street rod. he found an an old Ford that was still all original. he went on at length about that car and how rare it was to begin with and even rarer to find one in that condition, unrestored. he said there were only 17 such vehicles left in the world. he then paused for a second and smiled into the camera. he then said "Who cares?" and took his cutting wheel to the car. all i could think about was he had lost any semblance of respect for anything because he was obviously so full of himself and well off nothing had any value to him.

as to the car, when finished it was nothing worthy of the car that was sacrificed to make it. he had like 48 hours or something to convert it. he did but it looked exactly like that- it was slapped together to "win" the challenge. i'm a fan of the rat-rod look but this wasn't that.

i never watched any of his shows again and have had no use for him since then. i know it isn't an inaccuracy in a war movie but there is a big inaccuracy in calling him a 'talented builder' in that and other cases. more like an arrogant butcher.